Is TCU tuning a myth?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-23-2008, 08:03 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C55,SL55,C63
Is TCU tuning a myth?

Ok, I was talking to RENNtech today. I asked them about TCU tuning for my car. Anyway we got into a long discussion on TCU tuning for the C63 (I dont even have a C63) I stood there listening and this is what was said. Remember not what I said but what I was told...

In order to do a TCU tune to on the 7speed Mercedes gear box you would have to ship the tuner your transmission as the TCU is located inside the valve body of the transmission(someone confirm Please?). When you tune an ECU you can adjust some controls and shift points from the ECU but its not TCU tuning. Any tuning done through the ECU is ECU tuning....

Do I know any of this to be true? IDK???

I asked him if he can make some adjustment in my shift points? I was told my shift points were adjusted when my car got its first tune. (This was true as I was making power at higher RPM's and that came with a standard tune.) After the holidays he said he will take a look and see if i got any room to play with.

Has anyone compared different companies tunes vs each other? I know its no big secret that shift parameters can be tweaked from an ECU tune.
Old 12-23-2008, 08:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
96 and 08 911 turbos
Im sure Andy will be in shortly
Old 12-23-2008, 08:37 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Assorted Euro Trash
He is correct about shipping the transmission out....
Old 12-23-2008, 09:29 PM
MHP
Banned

'09 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by MercedesBW1
He is correct about shipping the transmission out....
That is absolutely 100% incorrect.

The TCU componentry located inside a 7A is a bunch of solenoids, that's all. All TCU functions are controlled via the ECU. In the future as control units become more and more sophisticated we'll see more merged ECU/TCUs.
Via the ECU we control TCU functions such as increases in line pressure, TCU only tq management, increased stall converter speed, raised shift points, consistant shift points, quicker up/downshifts, etc.
Those are not ECU functions.

Ask anyone with our TCU tuning on a 7A what the shifts feel like v stock and see what they say. I'm sure some of our customers that previously were using someone else's ECU only tuning will chime in as well.

There are 2 reasons for someone to tell you that hooley, 1) They don't have a clue. 2) They don't have the ability to fully access all tables on a ECU/TCU.

Last edited by MHP; 12-23-2008 at 09:36 PM.
Old 12-23-2008, 09:31 PM
MHP
Banned

'09 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by Oliverk
Im sure Andy will be in shortly
Sup Oli!
Old 12-23-2008, 10:43 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

C55,SL55,C63
Originally Posted by MHP
That is absolutely 100% incorrect.

The TCU componentry located inside a 7A is a bunch of solenoids, that's all. All TCU functions are controlled via the ECU. In the future as control units become more and more sophisticated we'll see more merged ECU/TCUs.
Via the ECU we control TCU functions such as increases in line pressure, TCU only tq management, increased stall converter speed, raised shift points, consistant shift points, quicker up/downshifts, etc.
Those are not ECU functions.

Ask anyone with our TCU tuning on a 7A what the shifts feel like v stock and see what they say. I'm sure some of our customers that previously were using someone else's ECU only tuning will chime in as well.

There are 2 reasons for someone to tell you that hooley, 1) They don't have a clue. 2) They don't have the ability to fully access all tables on a ECU/TCU.

Deff make some good points and makes scene to me. I was thinking it only makes sense to control the TCU from the ECU. Question: trans shifts at 100 milliseconds (I think) you can make that faster? If so thats insane Could you really feel something faster than that? Question 2: want to hook us C55 guys up? I think what your going for the C63 guys is making all us other AMG guys jealous. Plus I got a long list of parts the C55 needs that no one makes.

Last edited by hooleyboy; 12-23-2008 at 10:45 PM.
Old 12-23-2008, 11:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2009 C63 Black on Black
I'm with Andy!

Originally Posted by MHP
Sup Oli!
C63 only a few days away! You'll be hearing from me soon and thanks for the quick reply to my PM.

A real unleashed 6.3 in my stable!

Happy Holidays to Andy & all C63 & E63 owners!!!

Phil
Old 12-23-2008, 11:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
2008 CLK63 Black Series 2012 C63 Black Series 2014 SLS Black Series
I run the MHP ECU and TCU tune in my car, it is not a myth. I was running the Powerchip ECU tune and switched over to the MHP tune a couple months ago. I have not been able to put more than about 400 miles on the car since the tune, but I can tell you there is a night and day difference. If you don't want to take my word for it just keep your eyes posted to this forum in about 3-4 weeks, I am shipping my car out to southern California to run a track day at Willow Springs Raceway, there are going to be several other modded CLK Black Series' out there, I am going to let a couple of them drive my car and I will let them tell you for themselves in their own words what they feel. What is most noticable to me is the lag time between shifts is shorter and it hit the gears firmer/harder. If I am driving around town in M mode I can actually chip my tires between first and second gears sometimes, and it is literally neck snapping shifts in M, it never did that stock or with the Powerchip tune.
Old 12-24-2008, 12:26 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2009 C63 Black on Black
jrcart was the 1st

Originally Posted by jrcart
I run the MHP ECU and TCU tune in my car, it is not a myth. I was running the Powerchip ECU tune and switched over to the MHP tune a couple months ago. I have not been able to put more than about 400 miles on the car since the tune, but I can tell you there is a night and day difference. If you don't want to take my word for it just keep your eyes posted to this forum in about 3-4 weeks, I am shipping my car out to southern California to run a track day at Willow Springs Raceway, there are going to be several other modded CLK Black Series' out there, I am going to let a couple of them drive my car and I will let them tell you for themselves in their own words what they feel. What is most noticable to me is the lag time between shifts is shorter and it hit the gears firmer/harder. If I am driving around town in M mode I can actually chip my tires between first and second gears sometimes, and it is literally neck snapping shifts in M, it never did that stock or with the Powerchip tune.
jrcart: I think you were the 1st that installed Andy's tune and the numbers and your personal comments convinced me.

UNleash the power!!!

Happy Holidays & be safe ( thank God you and your ride are ok!)

C63 is just days away
Old 12-24-2008, 02:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts
Anything W/4Wheels
ill make this as fast as i can i have to go to sleep long day today for me and longday tomrrow, the tcu tune done by MHP is no wher near stock or a MYTH, i think renntech said that to you b/c they cant doit, i have the mhp tcu and its out of this world. if your a real driver and love your car you need this tune.

everyone have a happy and healthy xmas to you and your familys.
Old 12-24-2008, 02:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
02 C32 AMG
Originally Posted by hooleyboy
Question 2: want to hook us C55 guys up? I think what your going for the C63 guys is making all us other AMG guys jealous.
and maybe the C32 guys as well?
Old 12-24-2008, 03:11 AM
MHP
Banned

'09 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by hooleyboy
Deff make some good points and makes scene to me. I was thinking it only makes sense to control the TCU from the ECU. Question: trans shifts at 100 milliseconds (I think) you can make that faster? If so thats insane Could you really feel something faster than that? Question 2: want to hook us C55 guys up? I think what your going for the C63 guys is making all us other AMG guys jealous. Plus I got a long list of parts the C55 needs that no one makes.
We can do C55 ECU/TCUs right now.

Only the MCT in the SL63 shifts at 100 milliseconds (Lexus 8A does in Manual mode, we just tuned the first ever Lexus two days ago btw), BMW SMG for E60/63s does it in 65 milliseconds. We can reduce shift time in those trannys by 25-40% depending on application.
The stock 7A shifts nowhere near that quickly.
As for SOTP feel, I'm not sure everyone could feel the difference between say 70 milliseconds and 100, but it would show up at the track.
Old 12-24-2008, 03:11 AM
MHP
Banned

'09 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by jturkel
and maybe the C32 guys as well?

Dyno results from a stock C32 in two weeks or less.
Old 12-24-2008, 03:14 AM
MHP
Banned

'09 C63 AMG
If anyone's going to the HRP track rental on Jan 24th I'll toss you my keys to make a pass or just drive around on the street. It will take all of ten seconds for anyone to realize the difference between a MHP tuned TCU and a stocker or even someone else's ECU only tuning.
I'll also have the car at the MIR rental in March.

Ape, you just need to drive 100 miles North to Columbus.

Thanks
Old 12-24-2008, 05:55 AM

somethings better left unsaid ...
Originally Posted by MHP
All TCU functions are controlled via the ECU
So if someone ships thier ECU they can get an ECU/TCU tune ?

I've always thought this goes only for ECU tuning but for TCU you need to to have the car at your garage ..
Old 12-24-2008, 06:39 AM

AMG C63 S
The MHP tune *definitely* affects the shifting characteristics of the C63. I've had it for about 6 weeks now and am quite impressed at the difference between stock "S" and "M" mode versus MHP tuned modes. I have to assume that the TCU in the C63 controls the shifting characteristics of the car. As such, I can't reach any other conclusion but that my TCU has been tuned. Whether this was directly (actually modifying the physical TCU hardware) or indirectly (some other chip controlling the TCU) doesn't matter to me. Truth be told, I never assumed that the MHP tune would be modifying two separate control units. I've always thought the MHP TCU tune was a modification of the chip (call it an ECU?) sent in to do engine tuning as well; MHP, I guess you could say, does more mod'ing to the software of the chip than others offer. It made sense to me to alter the shifting characteristics of the car ("M" mode stock is actually pretty frustratingly unresponsive in retrospect) to unleash the power being added by the ECU mod.

I guess some highly technical people might get all worked up about using the words "TCU tune." But, again, what's undeniable is that MHP can make your car shift better.
Old 12-24-2008, 07:21 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

C55,SL55,C63
I think the questions have been answered. Some good user feedback for sure
Old 12-24-2008, 10:57 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
SLK55 AMG, E320 BlueTec, ML350, (formerly) C32 AMG, MR2 Turbo, HD-FLH-FSE, BMW R100RS, Ducati M900
ECU/TCU

Originally Posted by MHP
Dyno results from a stock C32 in two weeks or less.
Keep us posted on the C32 results.

Irish
Old 12-24-2008, 11:09 AM
Almost a Member!

Assorted Euro Trash
So why are places advertising removing a transmission besides not knowing what they are talking about...it has to be coming from somewhere???
Old 12-24-2008, 03:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
E63 P30, CL500 Sport
It's very strange that RennTech is saying or implying that because they've been tuning TCUs for the 5-speed transmission (55 engine Kompressor and non-Kompressor models as well as all the 65 models) for at least the last 6 years. They only don't do TCUs on the 7-Speed tranny associated with the 63 models. So again, I'm not sure why their implying now that it's a myth

Did you talk to a salesman or one of the tech guys? Sometimes there's descrepencies between them
Old 12-24-2008, 04:25 PM
MHP
Banned

'09 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by Ol'School
So if someone ships thier ECU they can get an ECU/TCU tune ?

I've always thought this goes only for ECU tuning but for TCU you need to to have the car at your garage ..
Sometimes they're 2 seperate units (ECU and TCU) on the newer MBs with 7As they're only 1.
No we don't need the car to flash either unit regardless if it's a combined or seperate ECU/TCU.

Thanks
Andy
Old 12-24-2008, 04:27 PM
MHP
Banned

'09 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by MercedesBW1
So why are places advertising removing a transmission besides not knowing what they are talking about...it has to be coming from somewhere???
LOL, I have absolutely no idea. Unless they're trying to do an old school valvebody mod or truly believe there's something to "tune" in the trans...

Do you have a link to any of these ads, I'd like to see what they're saying?

Thanks
Old 12-24-2008, 04:27 PM
MHP
Banned

'09 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by JG26_Irish
Keep us posted on the C32 results.

Irish
Will do, thanks!
Old 12-24-2008, 04:28 PM
MHP
Banned

'09 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by MB_Forever
It's very strange that RennTech is saying or implying that because they've been tuning TCUs for the 5-speed transmission (55 engine Kompressor and non-Kompressor models as well as all the 65 models) for at least the last 6 years. They only don't do TCUs on the 7-Speed tranny associated with the 63 models. So again, I'm not sure why their implying now that it's a myth

Did you talk to a salesman or one of the tech guys? Sometimes there's descrepencies between them
I was thinking the same, weird...
Old 12-24-2008, 09:52 PM

997.2 Turbo
Hey Andy,

I understand that you can increase the shift time of the 63 but what about the shift response time? I noticed when I drove the C63 in M mode there was a significant delay from the time I pulled the paddle to the time the car actually shifted. Just like the shift lag found in the earlier version of the M-DCT transmission on the E92 M3. The actual shift speed is already great stock but i would like to have near instantaneous shift response times.

Thanks and Merry Christmas!!!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Is TCU tuning a myth?