EBC Brake Pads (Red/Yellow Stuff)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-27-2008, 10:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'10 E 220 CDI Avantgarde, '93 Kia Concord 1.8 GXi
EBC Brake Pads (Red/Yellow Stuff)

Dear all,

Have any of you tried EBC Brake Pads? If yes, would you recommend upgrading the OEM (I think Brembo) to an EBC Brake Pad? 'cause I just learned today that an EBC Brake Pad kit (front) is out for the C 63. The "Red/Yellow Stuff" with part# DP31939C/DP41939R.

The product feature summary is as follows;

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Red Stuff"

-Ultra High Friction Street And Race Pad
-Brakes Perfectly From Cold Up To Race Temperature
-Works Well Cars/Trucks/SUV; Not A Low Dust Pad
-Totally Resistant To Rotor Vibration
-Great Choice For Street And Track
-Heavily Loaded Brake Requirements On Truck And SUV
-Stopping Power Is What You Need
-Then There Is No Other Choice

"Yellow Stuff"

-A Superb Aramid Fibre w/o Metallic Pad Blend
-Enhanced w/Ceramic Particles
-World First w/Low Dust Features
-Favorite On Premium And Domestic Cars
-Superb Brake Effect From Cold Up To Race Temp.
-Built w/Shimmed Slots
-Chamfered Friction Silent Braking
-Coated w/Red Surface Brake In Compound For Fast Bl
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited by bigwheeler; 12-27-2008 at 10:24 AM. Reason: Change of Subject
Old 12-27-2008, 12:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I DON'T COME HERE ANYMORE
I've ran EBC's before as my DD pads-they work well at that-dust less. If the C63 is coming stock with Brem pads-leave them alone-they'll stand the abuse much better then the Yellows (Reds will be close, but Brem has them by a little imho). If you're looking to upgrade for the track-check out Fedoro's or upgrade the BrownBo's with another step up, or go big and check out Endless. You have a C63, and a Kia? WTF?
Old 12-28-2008, 07:25 AM

Thanks a lot for your info. I'm not really into track, I just have excessive dust which results in me doing some work with my 19" multispoke wheels when cleaning... plus I have noise from myfront pad and rotors, which I think could be improved by replacing the pads. And the Kia I drive is my daily commuter. My seniors aren't in the favor of seeing a junior personnel drive a V8 here. LoL

Last edited by bigwheeler; 12-28-2008 at 07:27 AM. Reason: add-on
Old 12-28-2008, 09:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
I have used ALL types of EBC pads, and can say with a good amount of authority that the REDS are best suited for a daily driver. Reds can handle track events as well, atleast in my C32 and SRT. Heck I like them soo much that I have installed them on my daily worker.

See yeah

PS: Save the yellows for a car that gets track FREQUENTLY. They take some heat to work, which could leave wifey in a jam

Some guys with C32 run yellows on the street, but unless you REALLY track your toy alot, stick with reds, they are LOW dust, aggressive, and DO NOT fade.
Old 12-28-2008, 09:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
2009 C63 AMG
Do you C63 dust much? Compared to my E55, the C63 doesn't seem to dust at all. Could be the dark wheels.
Old 12-28-2008, 11:12 AM

Perhaps it's my 19" multispoke wheels which picks up dust more easily than the std. 18" alloys.... or?
Old 12-28-2008, 11:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
SLS Irridium silver,2014 GL350 BT Irridium, 2015 White Dodge RAM Hemi Quad
Originally Posted by bigwheeler
Perhaps it's my 19" multispoke wheels which picks up dust more easily than the std. 18" alloys.... or?
I have both wheels for my C63, and the 19" just dont have enough space between them to dissipate the dust, but there is no difference with my 5star 18", just seems that way, and yes, the 19" are a huge pain to clean, but when they are clean they are awesome looking on the car, my trick to keep them clean is just to simply wipe them off with a towel after a drive that way you dont allow as much dust to build up, also I use a product to clean wheels and it coats it with a teflon/wax and the dust doesnt stick as much.
Old 12-28-2008, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by 1st amg
I have both wheels for my C63, and the 19" just dont have enough space between them to dissipate the dust, but there is no difference with my 5star 18", just seems that way, and yes, the 19" are a huge pain to clean, but when they are clean they are awesome looking on the car, my trick to keep them clean is just to simply wipe them off with a towel after a drive that way you dont allow as much dust to build up, also I use a product to clean wheels and it coats it with a teflon/wax and the dust doesnt stick as much.
Thanx for the tip Nick! I just had my wheels cleaned + waxed for est. 2 hours! I did put on a sealant and then added a layer of wax. After an 1 hour drive, I cleaned it off with a detailer... and yes, less dust + easier cleaning!

Thanks again!
Old 12-29-2008, 04:37 AM

c63
no way oem is stronger than yellow ebc i used them on the track. other than feedback its a great pad and after you factor in the price trust me its the way to go
Old 12-29-2008, 04:40 AM

c63
same size pads in the front as ML63AMG don't know about back. trust ebc is the way to go i have tried every brand under the sun even some JDM stuff for euro cars that you wouldnt believe
Old 12-29-2008, 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by benzylpiperazin
same size pads in the front as ML63AMG don't know about back. trust ebc is the way to go i have tried every brand under the sun even some JDM stuff for euro cars that you wouldnt believe
I guess it's worthwhile giving it a go. But, yellow is really for track purpose, right? Any comments on the red stuff in comparison to the stock? (e.g. noise, dust, durability, affects on the rotors & calipers, etc)
Old 12-29-2008, 10:10 PM
Out Of Control!!

a quarter mile at a time
Tried the Reds and didn't like them, just my $0.02.
Old 12-29-2008, 11:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
09 C63
Tried them on my old M3 - warped rotors because they retained heat and while stopped transferred it to the rotor. Try something else - but best still, wash frequently or switch to black rims.
Old 12-30-2008, 12:20 AM

c63
Originally Posted by bigwheeler
I guess it's worthwhile giving it a go. But, yellow is really for track purpose, right? Any comments on the red stuff in comparison to the stock? (e.g. noise, dust, durability, affects on the rotors & calipers, etc)
Don't use the red stuff. Yellow has a huge operating temperature range. So it's fine for the street but you might get some noise when you hit the half life of the pad. Believe me the only thing bad on them is the pedal feed back.
Old 12-30-2008, 12:43 AM

I guess an aftermarket part is an 'aftermarket' afterall... Thanx everyone!
Old 12-30-2008, 07:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
Originally Posted by benzylpiperazin
Don't use the red stuff.
WHY

I have tracked them, extended street use, and even a DD on them and LOVE them in ALL my cars. They have been the absolute BEST pad I have used for a mutli role application.

Except for bendix friction king II's which are no longer availble due to a high asbestos content.

Please explain.

See yeah

PS: As I have said before, yellows are better, but not for a novice driver do to HIGH pedal effort until they get heat. Oh yeah, Yellows WILL squeak as well due to kevlar in the pad and a higher friction coeffiecient.
Old 12-30-2008, 08:17 AM
Out Of Control!!

a quarter mile at a time
Originally Posted by MRAMG1
WHY

I have tracked them, extended street use, and even a DD on them and LOVE them in ALL my cars. They have been the absolute BEST pad I have used for a mutli role application.

Except for bendix friction king II's which are no longer availble due to a high asbestos content.

Please explain.

See yeah

PS: As I have said before, yellows are better, but not for a novice driver do to HIGH pedal effort until they get heat. Oh yeah, Yellows WILL squeak as well due to kevlar in the pad and a higher friction coeffiecient.
See that's funny. C32/C55 have the same brakes as my car and I tried the new re-formulated Redstuff pads and hated them. Felt spongy and I didn't feel confident in my brakes any longer. They do dust significantly less than OEM pads. I don't know, I thought they were pretty terrible, and wouldn't try them again.
Old 12-30-2008, 08:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
Originally Posted by e1000
See that's funny. C32/C55 have the same brakes as my car and I tried the new re-formulated Redstuff pads and hated them. Felt spongy and I didn't feel confident in my brakes any longer. They do dust significantly less than OEM pads. I don't know, I thought they were pretty terrible, and wouldn't try them again.
Hey e1000:

Yeah I just put them on my C back in June of this year, and tracked them in September and they REALLY were night and day BETTER than the stockers. I had ZERO fade after a twenty minute session, and almost NO dust. This was with a pulley and I dropped my lap time by almost 2 seconds, so I know I was atleast a little more aggressive. I know EBC changes formula more often than I change socks, so maybe they changed them again

Oh well thanks for the reply.

See yeah
Old 12-30-2008, 09:13 AM
Out Of Control!!

a quarter mile at a time
Originally Posted by MRAMG1
Hey e1000:

Yeah I just put them on my C back in June of this year, and tracked them in September and they REALLY were night and day BETTER than the stockers. I had ZERO fade after a twenty minute session, and almost NO dust. This was with a pulley and I dropped my lap time by almost 2 seconds, so I know I was atleast a little more aggressive. I know EBC changes formula more often than I change socks, so maybe they changed them again

Oh well thanks for the reply.

See yeah
Lol. Maybe I didn't push them hard enough? I don't need any more reasons to drive like a maniac!
Old 12-30-2008, 10:10 AM

Damn! Now I'm convinced!
Old 08-10-2022, 12:01 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Past: 300zx TT 500hp Current: '12 C63
I have EBC Yellow stuff on my c63. Overall they were easy to install, and have a solid braking feel.I wouldn't say they are much better if anything for brake dust than the OEM pads, and according to this video:
the RedStuff pads aren't better either for dust (and they are marketed as low brake dust specifically). I don't think that necessarily means they are bad, but rather that the OEM ones are pretty good for brake dust. Maybe others have had difference experiences.
But really the main concern should be brake fade, bite, and longevity and on that front I have zero complaints.
The following users liked this post:
Cwagon (08-10-2022)
Old 08-10-2022, 10:57 PM

Received 125 Likes on 111 Posts
2013 W204 C63 AMG P31 Estate wagon
I run EBC Yellows on my wagon and also on my last car and find them great for street use.
Yes they dust probably similar to OEM but cold bite far better and fade on street isn't something I've explored.
Had to jump on the anchors once on the freeway due to an accident ahead and even though had been on cruise control for nearly 1.5 hrs @ 110kph/70mph the car pulled up quick with plenty straining on seat belts.

Old 08-12-2022, 12:31 PM

Received 122 Likes on 91 Posts
W211 E63 AMG
yellows bite well when new but once they're worn they're worse than stock and overheat and glaze very easily much less able to handle usage than the factory pads.