C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ok, just bought my C63, do I immediately wax it?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-30-2008, 11:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'13 E63, '15 GL450, '12 Range Rover Sport
Ok, just bought my C63, do I immediately wax it?

Is a waxing proper procedure for my new C63 and does it add even more lustre to the car? Black on black and shiny to begin with, but if waxing helps protect it AND adds more lustre I think it's a no-brainer, right?

Part II of this thread: So if I decide it needs a wax and I also decide I'm too lazy to do it myself, is there anybody in the North Jersey area who does that kind of detailing? Please shoot me recommendations!
Old 12-30-2008, 11:48 AM

2009 C63 AMG
Congrats on the new car. To answer your first question, waxing won't hurt. It's likely that if you bought your car off the showroom floor, it already had a coat of wax on it.

I've had my car for a couple of months now. I purchased the TST paint protection from my MB dealer. This was $600 to protect the paint, seats and carpets. All I do is wash my car with a mild car soap, rinse, & then wipe down with a micro fiber cloth. It shines just like a fresh coat of wax. Given an exterior detailing w/ wax will cost anywhere between $50 - $100 (depending on geography & quality of shop), I think this is a great deal. Some people argue that the TST protection is a hoax. Perhaps. But so far, so good.
Old 12-30-2008, 12:39 PM

RHD C200 Sport Coupe, RHD SLK-55, LHD SLK-350
Not gonna open the TST debate, but yeah, I think a full pull wax on a new car is an excellent idea.

Look on the paint and finish forum, but I use Zaino products, and always did a Clay Bar plus multi-layer job on 'em when I got 'em, and about once every 6 months. My SLK is black, and avoiding swirl marks is a big plus.

If you get it done by a good detailer, and they use good products, you are probably in the $100-$150 range, and it makes all the difference in the world.

Not affiliated with Zaino in any way, just a satisfied customer. Here's a link to their recommendations. Done right, it's an awesome, almost liquid finish.

http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/...de=APPLICATION

Pictures don't do it justice, but ....
Attached Thumbnails Ok, just bought my C63, do I immediately wax it?-tree3.jpg   Ok, just bought my C63, do I immediately wax it?-tree1.jpg  

Last edited by UK-C200; 12-30-2008 at 12:44 PM.
Old 12-30-2008, 01:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'08 BMW 650ci
congrats SHAP

i think the car shouldve already been waxed/detailed

but i dont think another go round would hurt

one thing to keep in mind is the car is black and black = SWIRLS!!!!

if you go get it waxed by someone who is not experience, they will WRECK your cars paint job

so just make sure they know what theyre doing in regards to black paint

also, when you wash it(if you use car washes) let it air dry.....dont let them wipe it down with their towells

instant swirls
Old 12-30-2008, 01:36 PM

RHD C200 Sport Coupe, RHD SLK-55, LHD SLK-350
Originally Posted by Last Emperor
also, when you wash it(if you use car washes) let it air dry.....dont let them wipe it down with their towells

instant swirls
Air dry == water spots. Again, take a look at what the pros are doing, and follow their lead. It's very possible to avoid swirls if you know what you are doing.

On the MB wash and wax, no offense, I've watched 'em do it at a number of dealerships both inside and outside the US, so I just tell 'em not to do mine when they are in for service.
Old 12-30-2008, 01:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'08 BMW 650ci
yea water spots indeed.....i bought this towell that wipes the car without leaving streaks...it works AWESOME

what i was referring to was they towells they re-use at washed
Old 12-30-2008, 01:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'08 BMW 650ci
Originally Posted by UK-C200
Air dry == water spots. Again, take a look at what the pros are doing, and follow their lead. It's very possible to avoid swirls if you know what you are doing.

On the MB wash and wax, no offense, I've watched 'em do it at a number of dealerships both inside and outside the US, so I just tell 'em not to do mine when they are in for service.

that is sooooo true....

i brought my new 650 in to service for the first time yesterday
i went there to change a tire, my car was dirty when i brought it in

after they changed the tire they washed it!

it wasnt really a wash....they just wet it, and then scrub the dirt around the car

SWILRS EVERYWHERE!!!!!!!

needless to say i ripped the ppl there, and my car is being detialed there as we speak....hopefully they'll get it right this time

not to mention, they also scuffed up my bumper and are touching that up too

all that to get a tire change WOOOOOOOOOOOOOW
Old 12-30-2008, 03:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2009 C63 AMG Black on Black PP Package CF fully loaded
I also have a Black C63 and stand behind Zaino total care.
Multiple layers of wax is always recommended, if going through a hand wash car wash you should bring your own soft towels for them to dry your car with, Not the car wash towels. After drying the car. you should spray on Zaino finale detailing wax and then wipe it down. The more layers of wax, you have a better protection against swirls...
Attached Thumbnails Ok, just bought my C63, do I immediately wax it?-dsc05503.jpg  
Old 12-30-2008, 05:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 86 Likes on 58 Posts
'22 G 63 AMG, '21 GLE 53 AMG, '20 NSX
Congratulations on your new AMG. BEFORE you do any waxing or polishing you need to evaluate how clean your paint is. Run you hand over the finish, if its smooth it won't hurt to wax after a a good wash.
If it feels like little rough spots, that's bonded contaminates and you'll need to clay the car. Wax is for protection after you have polished the finish. Polish restores the oils that paint looses over time. Some waxes have have polishes in them. Your car is new, so the paint has plenty of oil in it unless it sat out in the Arizona sun for 6 month so it's unlikely you'll need to polish the finish.

Basic rule of thumb, most waxes/polishes you buy at auto parts stores are designed to be idiot proof. Ergo, they don't work very well or are cheap. Meguiar's makes it easy, if it's in a dark red bottle, it's for amatures and you can't f it up, if it's in a beige container it's for the pro's and you get better results assuming you know what your doing.

On new cars, after the paint is clean, I apply Zymol titanium with Meguiar's Show Car Glaze with an orbital and foam pad. I do a 3' section at a time. Result: I've never failed to get a podium at a car show. I've left out a couple of steps but I'm not going to give away all my secrets. Some guys are fanatical about their wax's. The best wax in the world won't show well unless the paint is clean so preparation is the most important element of a good wax job.
Jimmy
Old 12-30-2008, 07:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'08 BMW 650ci
just to give a heads up....i picked up the car back from bimmer

they detailed it....so i dunno if its just a wax, or wax and clay

but there is not 1 swirl left.....looks sweet!
Old 12-30-2008, 07:56 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
M5, C63, 335Ci
Please remember that wax does not equate to shine. When I took delivery of my C63 a month or so ago, the first thing I did to it was a full detail. If you're not familiar with doing this then get a pro to do it. For a really good job, expect to pay around $400- $500. When I did mine I performed the following steps.

1. Wash car (using two bucket method)
2. Clay bar entire car
3. Use an orange pad on the Porter Cable polisher with Menzerma Intensive Nano polish
4. Use a black pad on the PC with Menzerma Final Nano Polish
5. Wash car again
6. Two coats of Pinnacle Souveran wax applied by hand.

(The Souveran is the best wax I've found for black cars. I used Zaino for years and swore by it until trying Souveran. With Zaino you get long lasting protection, but when you look at the paint you are seeing whatever is reflected in it. With Souveran you are seeing a three dimemsional depth to the paint that looks like you could dive into a pool of black water.)

The end result was amazing depth to the paint and a car that gets comments everywhere I go.

Mike
Old 12-30-2008, 11:29 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C55,SL55,C63
All the products qship5 mentioned are good, with one exception on the use of the Porter Cable right now.

In college I worked for lexus in used and new car reconditioning. After that I ran a small detailing company for a few years, part time to make some extra cash to pay loans and beer money. With that said I would not recommend any sort of power tool at this point. The car is new, It has no swirl mark. The cause of swirl marks are from road contaminates that get on your paint. When washing the car the dirt and grime gets moved around and can scratch the clear coat. Its important to wash with two buckets one to rinse the dirt you just washed off and the other filled with lots of suds. You always want alot of suds and it act like a buffer from your wash mitt and the car. Lots of sud allow the dirt to get pulled away from your paint. If the wash is done right waxing should not cause swirl marks.

It should be noted: that even if your wash is to notch and you have hard water, like mine is here in AZ. Any sort of wax or polish done over hard water spots even if they are faint can start the formation of swirl marks. The deposits left behind from the water is all it takes to slowly start swirl marks even if you cant see them yet.

Easily accessible product I would recommend are:

Maguire's Gold Class Car wash
3M rubbing compound polish
Adams Quick detailer
Maguire's Quick Detailer, it can be a bit streaky
Maguire's TechWax (not spray bottle)
Foaming window cleaner
Maguire's clay bar system
Tanner's Preserve leather cleaner and conditioner
Costco Micro fiber towels(rip the tags off)
Mothers Carnauba wax

Most of this stuff can be found at Auto Zone or what ever car store is close to you. With the exception of Adam's. Adams Makes good stuff if you can get your hands on it.

just my .02
I think the shine in my Sig speaks for it self.VVV

Last edited by hooleyboy; 12-31-2008 at 12:17 AM.
Old 12-30-2008, 11:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG & RR
Congrads on your car!

So far you have great tips from the pros but never attempt to dust your car off with any type of towel. If you do so it will result in swirl marks. If you feel the need to remove some dust and do not have the time to wash the car, use a quick detailer (Meguiar's Is What I Use). The best is to at least rinse the car and dry it off with Micro Fiber Towels.

Also please stay away from Turtle Wax prducts! IMO

All The Best!
Old 12-31-2008, 12:12 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

C55,SL55,C63
Originally Posted by Merc-Skycap
Congrads on your car!

So far you have great tips from the pros but never attempt to dust your car off with any type of towel. If you do so it will result in swirl marks. If you feel the need to remove some dust and do not have the time to wash the car, use a quick detailer (Meguiar's Is What I Use). The best is to at least rinse the car and dry it off with Micro Fiber Towels.

Also please stay away from Turtle Wax prducts! IMO

All The Best!
+1
I have a California duster. I got as a gift years back and it makes for a great ceiling fan cleaner and thats about it. I've come to except the dust and just let it sit on a fresh coat of wax. Its a loosing battle.

Also another quick tip: The more wax you put on at one time the more work you are making for your self.

Stay way from "Ice" products. tried it once and kinda liked it, tried it again and totally hated it. The stuff sucks.

Last edited by hooleyboy; 12-31-2008 at 12:19 AM.
Old 12-31-2008, 01:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG & RR
Also be sure to use a clean Micro Fiber Towel as well w/e you apply it to your car. If its not clean, little dust and dirt particles that get trapped in the towels can scratch your car also.

Be careful and gentle on and off the road lol!
Old 12-31-2008, 01:51 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

C55,SL55,C63
Originally Posted by Merc-Skycap
Also be sure to use a clean Micro Fiber Towel as well w/e you apply it to your car. If its not clean, little dust and dirt particles that get trapped in the towels can scratch your car also.

Be careful and gentle on and off the road lol!
so true. I found Costco to have them in like a 30 pack for like $15 just rip the tags off. Not sure if the tag will do any damage but it sure sounds bad on the paint. After using them for a few years I dont know how I was able to clean my car without them. Swirl marks are almost inevitable on a daily driver thats Black. Out here in AZ were your car can literally get sand blasted a clay bar is a must have. Only thing that sucks about that is it takes forever.
Old 12-31-2008, 03:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts
Anything W/4Wheels
what can you do to take out swirls by hand. what steps.

i have a very good detailng guy. but i would like to learn my self how to do it. i want some advise on other not just from him can you help.
Old 12-31-2008, 06:45 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

C55,SL55,C63
Originally Posted by mthis

i have a very good detailng guy. but i would like to learn my self how to do it. i want some advise on other not just from him can you help.
I would clay bar the car first just so you can see shat your working with better. Clay baring wont remove swirls but it reduce how hard they show through by removing the contaminates that can shimmer in the paint. After you clay bar, bust out some polish. I personally like 3M's rubbing compound. I first used it back when I was working for Lexus. I'm sure there are other product out that can do the trick though. Its all about prepping the paint first with a good wash and dry and clay bar. Your detailer may say a machine is the only way to remove swirls but I've seen some great work be done by hand following a basic 3 step process, Clay bar, polish, wax. Alot of people go buy a scratch and swirl remover from the store try it out and say it sucks because it didnt work. Chances are its because after they washed the car then pulled out the swirl remover polish and had at it. Skipping the removal of the contaminates that caused or are contributing to the problem. I like to clay bar my hood more often then the rest of the car as its constantly getting pelted by dirt, bugs and grime.

In short clay your whole car then use some swirl remover or reducer i should say. then protect your hours or work with a good coat of wax. If that fails to give you the results your looking for it might be time to call in the power tools. A porter cable random orbital should be all thats needed.

Here are some links to a ton of video that will help.

http://www.adamspolishes.com/default.aspx

http://www.meguiars.com/video/
Old 12-31-2008, 01:51 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
M5, C63, 335Ci
Originally Posted by mthis

Getting swirls out by hand is difficult. Not saying it can't be done, but it will be a lot of work. The Porter Cable random orbital is not very expensive and well worth it. The ceramic clear coat on the Benzes make them less prone to swirls, but when you get them they take more work to remove. The reason I use Menzerma polishes is that they have specific formulations for ceramic clear coats. (some of the other products listed in this thread are also very good, I just have a preference for Menzerma.) I completely agree with using microfiber towels on your car. Just make sure you have specific towels for polish removal and wax removal, etc. Don't mix them up.

The reason I did all the steps I listed to my C63 after taking delivery was because the dealer's detailers did not do a great job on the car. It was a relatively quick job as I didn't have any major swirls to remove, just some minor ones.

As Hooleyboy states, keeping a black car dust free is next to impossible.

Mike
Old 12-31-2008, 02:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

R8
Taking a clay bar to your car's paint surface is one of the best things you can do to keep the car looking and feeling brand new. Every summer, I get a bit of tree sap on the car just from parking it outside when I'm out and about, but taking a clay bar to it removes all of that goo and just makes the car's surface feel like it was just off of the showroom floor.

I haven't tried Zaino products yet, but I've used Autoglym for many years and in the last few years I switched over to Meguiar's. They might not be quite as good as Zaino (from what I keep reading on the internet), but they're certainly plenty good for the majority of car owners.

Old 01-09-2009, 07:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C63 Kleeman; CLS63 Renntech; Kirkham 427S/C; 308 GTB; 911T 3.0 911 cab 3.6
How about Griot's products?
Old 01-09-2009, 08:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Vath ML63 Brabus C63 SL63 CLK63BS C63BS
At the risk of sounding like a total buffoon, what is a clay bar, how does it work and what do you do with it on your car...??
Old 01-09-2009, 08:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C350 4Matic
Clay bar is exactly what it sounds like. Its just clay! You wash your car, then no need to dry ( you can if you like but its a waste of time ). When the car is clean you take your solution that you get with your clay kit, spray the car in sections and then you take the clay and simply rub it gently on the body.
Try to keep it in a back and forth motion rather than in circles. What this does is takes out the tiny particles stuck in the paint. It make the finsh so smooth. You dont need to clay it every time you wash. After claying the car it is recommended you touch the car so you know what it should feel like. This will help you gage the next time it may need to be clayed.

Its really is easy to do.
Old 01-09-2009, 09:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 A8L, 2002 996TT X50, 2009 X5
Some good info in this thread, but also a lot of misinformation. Guys, if you didn't know, there's a whole detailing sub-forum here on MBW. Talk to Greg @ Detailed Image (forum sponsor), he'll be able to help you get set-up with excellent products (and, IMHO, excellent service as well). Autogeek is also a good website, as is Autopia.org, chemicalguys.com, and Detailing Bliss is a good forum for info.

Here's a few things I noticed:

1. Glaze adds oils back that paint loses over time. Old cars with single-stage paint = true. Newer clearcoated cars (esp. late model MBs with ceramic clearcoats)... no, not really. Glaze helps the appearance by filling in imperfections - but some argue that these same fillers adversely affect the longevity of your wax/sealant of choice. YMMV... but if you're dealing with perfectly prepped paint, glaze is unnecessary IMHO.

2. Swirls are primarily caused by improper washing/drying technique - most any moderately experienced detailer will tell you this. Hooleyboy's right, use a two-bucket method; add a Grit Guard too, if you care to. Dry the car carefully, with WW microfiber towels.

3. Using a mild clay bar (clay bars aren't clay, BTW - they're synthetic polymer bars w/ mild abrasives) w/ QD as lubricant will help even new car finishes, if they weren't fully detailed already. Even before leaving the showroom, many cars have some rail dust from transport embedded in the paint - clay helps remove this. The OTC Meguiar's stuff works well, and you're unlikely to damage the paint with it. Alternatively, you can get it from any good detailing vendor (just be sure to get the mildest form of clay - the more aggresive compounds will micro-mar your finish).

4. Machine polishing (especially with a PC 7424 or other orbital) isn't going to really hurt anything - you probably wouldn't need anything more than a single step, with a finishing polish (white pad w/ Menz. PO85RD comes to mind). Some detailers are also "burnishing" or "jewelling" the finish w/ a black or blue pad and finishing polish - with good results. If you'd rather do it by hand, Dodo Juice Lime Prime Lite seems to be well liked, as is Swissvax cleaner fluid.

5. Zaino is good, and sure has a loyal following of customers. IMHO, there's better stuff out there. CG Jetseal 109 topped with a high-quality wax (CG 50/50, Dodo Juice, Collinite 915, Swissvax Saphir or higher, Zymol Titanium or higher, etc etc.) sure looks nice IMHO.

On the detailing sub-forum, check out FMINUS and his details... they're simply amazing. Most of the above is IMHO and a lot of detailing is very subjective - hope the info helps though. GL with your new C63!
Old 01-10-2009, 01:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C350 4Matic
Nice write up buddy. I didnt know the clay wsnt clay
Oh well, what ever it is, it works great.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Ok, just bought my C63, do I immediately wax it?