Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C63 Computer Reboot

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-23-2009, 02:34 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
C63 Computer Reboot

After 2000 miles since new, it was time to reboot the On-Board Diagnostics computer. The result has been smoother engine running, 5-10% mileage improvement, plus sharper and more responsive transmission shifts. The reboot works with any OBD car and this trick can be found on various forums (originally found it for Porsche and used it on a 996). The OBD sensors provide input for "learning" how to apply the hard coded programs. It takes at least 2000 miles for the break-in of the engine and transmission parts. The OBD continues to use the same sensor inputs it "learned" when the car was new. The idea is to erase the memory of those out-of-date inputs by disconnecting the battery. The OBD then "relearns" with updated sensor inputs and the car starts to run the way it was intended. Just go to the trunk and disconnect the negative strap of the battery for more than 5 minutes. Then replace the strap, and reset the clock. That's it. Have fun.
Old 01-23-2009, 03:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
09' C63 AMG (Gisele)
Hmmm interesting!
Old 01-23-2009, 04:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2013 Chevy 427 Torch Red
Plan on putting all your outlook contacts back in after you're done.
Old 01-23-2009, 09:01 PM

2009 C63
Do you also lose all of your pre-sets programmed, such as seat positions and all the radio, including satellite settings, and any settings that you saved in the GPS?
Not a biggie as I am sure that re-setting from some recent 'soft' driving is more benefecial, but just wondering what we will be faced with afterwords??
Old 01-24-2009, 12:50 AM
GMW

2013 ML63 AMG PP
Isn't there another way to do this.

I remember resetting the transmission/driving style memory by pressing the accelerator pedal all down (as if engaging kickdown) and keeping it down as you turn the key to position 2 then wait for like 2 minutes then turn the key back to position 0. All the while with the pedal all the way down. Then wait another 1 minute then remove the key, get out of the car and lock it with the remote and wait for another 5 minutes before getting in and feeling the difference.

Once you get in the car feels way more faster as the shifts are quicker too. Basically, driving slow or always stuck in traffic jams makes the transmission learn that you are a slow driver and therefore it will behave accordingly.

Disclaimer (before anyone gets too excited):
I have only used this on non-AMG Mercedes-Benzes that all had the electronic throttle. Which is basically all new Mercedeses. I don't know if this also applies to AMG models.
Old 01-24-2009, 02:03 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
C63 AMG P30 + OE Tuning
hmmm... interesting.. maybe i should try that out..
Old 01-24-2009, 02:30 AM

Porsche 911 Carerra 4S
Is that work for other AMG cars??
Old 01-24-2009, 04:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG & RR
Wow I didn't know there were rituals with this thing.........

Let us know how it goes yazid....
Old 01-24-2009, 09:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts
96 and 08 911 turbos
this is ridiculous. The car constantly adjusts the fuel trims depending on the current inputs that the computer sees. Unless you had something like an exhaust leak, intake leak post maf, or other issues that would throw the fuel trims way out of whack, all this will do is reset the fuel trims back to factory settings and the learning will begin from there (they shouldn't be terribly different if the engine/emissions system is working properly).

While it won't hurt to try, if you think its going to be a big difference, you will be disappointed.
Old 03-02-2009, 12:33 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
09 C63 11 E350
I wouldn't. Just go out for a couple of hours and run the **** out of it. It'll relearn to some degree,without the bother resetting so many useful piles of data.
Old 03-02-2009, 10:53 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2020 E450 Wagon
Exclamation Battery disconnect

Disconnecting the battery is going to set undervoltage fault codes in a bunch of control units. That is going to make it harder for a tech to diagnose a future problem you may have. Not to mention potentially damaging voltage spikes. On older Mercs, you also lose your personal presets, power window, sunroof, and steering wheel angle intializations. All and all probably not the best of ideas.
Old 03-02-2009, 11:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

One with 4 wheels
Originally Posted by GMW
I remember resetting the transmission/driving style memory by pressing the accelerator pedal all down (as if engaging kickdown) and keeping it down as you turn the key to position 2 then wait for like 2 minutes then turn the key back to position 0. All the while with the pedal all the way down. Then wait another 1 minute then remove the key, get out of the car and lock it with the remote and wait for another 5 minutes before getting in and feeling the difference.

Once you get in the car feels way more faster as the shifts are quicker too. Basically, driving slow or always stuck in traffic jams makes the transmission learn that you are a slow driver and therefore it will behave accordingly.

Disclaimer (before anyone gets too excited):
I have only used this on non-AMG Mercedes-Benzes that all had the electronic throttle. Which is basically all new Mercedeses. I don't know if this also applies to AMG models.
I've tried that several times on my W203.

I don't know if it's just a placebo, or if the car actually responds better.

I'm also curious if this applies to AMG models....