diggin' da 9500ci

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-06-2009, 02:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 C63 AMG
diggin' da 9500ci

Hello all.

Today I picked up my C63 after being in the shop for the 9500 ci install. I've only driven it 10 miles since, so I'll update this thread when I have experience with its capabilities.

Another memeber recommended the display to be installed in the ash tray in order to help conceal in the hopefully unlikely event one is pulled over. I had them angle it toward me and up for easy viewing.

Pics are below.
Attached Thumbnails diggin' da 9500ci-016.jpg   diggin' da 9500ci-017.jpg   diggin' da 9500ci-018.jpg   diggin' da 9500ci-019.jpg   diggin' da 9500ci-020.jpg  

diggin' da 9500ci-021.jpg  
Old 02-06-2009, 02:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

R8
Good job.

I'm not sure if I'd want to butcher my car to do something like that again. I had a double DIN head unit put into one of my NSXs (which were notorious for being hard to mod the stereos), and seeing them cut the center stack was enough to make you want to cry.

But kudos to you for an excellent install.
Old 02-06-2009, 03:16 PM

C350
Looks good!
Old 02-06-2009, 05:13 PM

c350
Originally Posted by taylorcoleman
Hello all.

Today I picked up my C63 after being in the shop for the 9500 ci install. I've only driven it 10 miles since, so I'll update this thread when I have experience with its capabilities.

Another memeber recommended the display to be installed in the ash tray in order to help conceal in the hopefully unlikely event one is pulled over. I had them angle it toward me and up for easy viewing.

Pics are below.
How much did you pay for it and where did you get the 9500 ci?
Old 02-06-2009, 05:50 PM

2009 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by tlbenzc350
How much did you pay for it and where did you get the 9500 ci?
I paid $1,999 (OK, call it 2 grand). This was for both the product and the installation. My MB dealer in Pittsburgh (Bobby Rahal) just because an authorized reseller and installer. Prior to my install on the C63, they only installed 1 other on a SLR (so although I was only #2, if someone could trust their $500K car I figured I could trust them with my $60K car -- which is about a new brake set for the SLR )

They actually spent a total of 27 hours with the install. I presume they'd more than half that on their next C63 and eventually get down to a 4 - 6 hour install time.

I've seen used 9500ci's on eBay for as low as about $1,200 and figure you could probably find someone to install for a few hundred. But for me, it was worth going with my dealer and having a wicked good install IMHO.
Old 02-06-2009, 09:26 PM

c350
I paid $1,999 (OK, call it 2 grand). This was for both the product and the installation. My MB dealer in Pittsburgh (Bobby Rahal) just because an authorized reseller and installer. Prior to my install on the C63, they only installed 1 other on a SLR (so although I was only #2, if someone could trust their $500K car I figured I could trust them with my $60K car -- which is about a new brake set for the SLR )

They actually spent a total of 27 hours with the install. I presume they'd more than half that on their next C63 and eventually get down to a 4 - 6 hour install time.

I've seen used 9500ci's on eBay for as low as about $1,200 and figure you could probably find someone to install for a few hundred. But for me, it was worth going with my dealer and having a wicked good install IMHO.

Thanks. I will do a search on ebay to find one. I have someone who has installed two of them.
Old 02-13-2009, 10:57 AM

2009 C63 AMG
Shucks

Well, here's an update:

So I just got my 9500ci installed last week on my 2009 C63 AMG.

I was driving about 90 on a familiar highway, had GPS enbled, POP enabled, Auto mode enabled, etc. I was going up a minor hill and at the top was the State Police facing my direction. I saw him before my radar alerted and was able to slow to 80 (which is the speed listed on my ticket). So the sensitivity in this situation was HORRIBLE.

I know I'm not invincible in this thing, but this was a fairly good line of sight. The ticket did not indicate what kind of radar was being used. I was also surrounded by many other cars going rather fast, but I was gaining on the cars in the left lane. So I figure he had been shooting the radar gun even well before I approached?

Needless to say after dropping $2,000 including install, I'm not happy.

In retrospect I should have spent more time doing the speed limit and seeing how this device responded when faced with speedtraps before I started getting more liberal with my speed.

Any advice on what may have happened here welcome, and I'm expecting a few ha ha's--I can take it.
Old 02-13-2009, 02:41 PM

Porsche 911 Carerra 4S
So are you saying that the device you are having is useless!!
Old 02-13-2009, 03:53 PM

2010 C63
Just my thoughts, but cop was probably using instant-on or POP radar. It is much like laser - once the alarm is sounded, it is too late. However, the radar beam will be scattered a bit if he uses it on someone around or in front of you, and your detector should pick that up. That is why you should always slow down for even a momentary alarm. It sounds like either (1) you were the first one to get hit with it, hence no warning or (2) the system wasn't able to detect the scattered radar signals of someone in front of you getting hit.

Obviously, the second scenario should worry you. Is there someway to test if the system is working properly, or maybe was a short alarm sounded and you ignored it? (Just asking - I have done that before and regretted it.)
Old 02-13-2009, 04:34 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
M5, C63, 335Ci
I doubt you were the first one he used the radar on. The 9500 should have easily picked this up as it was a straight shot and not like he was hidden around a corner, etc. I would have the unit tested by whoever installed it.

Another thing to consider is fighting the ticket. Did you ask to see the radar gun reading? Were there other cars or trucks around you? Radar is not a pinpoint device like laser so he could pick up a reading from a nearby vehicle.

Just my $.02

Q
Old 02-13-2009, 04:53 PM

2009 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by qship5
I doubt you were the first one he used the radar on. The 9500 should have easily picked this up as it was a straight shot and not like he was hidden around a corner, etc. I would have the unit tested by whoever installed it.

Another thing to consider is fighting the ticket. Did you ask to see the radar gun reading? Were there other cars or trucks around you? Radar is not a pinpoint device like laser so he could pick up a reading from a nearby vehicle.

Just my $.02

Q
Turns out it was Instant On radar. Found some good info from a radar board. From what I understand you're pretty much hosed if you're the first one traveling and get tagged with Instant On. If I had been behind other cars the 9500 would have picked up the scatter.

So based on the fact I now know Instant On is a major presence where I do my primary driving, the 9500ci was a big waste of money for me. I've used a "rabbit" for years to speed with no tickets. I drop $2K w/ install and bam...nailed.

I'll plead not guilty and hopefully will get a reduced fine/points.

Bummer. Live & learn.
Old 02-13-2009, 08:33 PM

09 c63 blk/blk H&R Springs & 08 e 63 blk/blk
I have the same unit, and it aint a wast of money brothaman. Look, it cant jam radar that's illegal. If it did, airport control towers would be getting all jammed up and we wouldnt want that now would we ? It can only detect it, as you now know. What that means is that as soon as you get a warning you gotta hit the breaks fast.

Law enforcement agencies are moving toward laser (lidar)since it's far more accurate at pinpointing speeders in traffic. Most have already made the expensive addition available. The good news is that laser (so far) must be shot from a stationary position.

This doesnt mean that radar will die. On the contrary, radar will be used for longer less congested roadways. Plus, it can detect speeds going in BOTH directions. This instant on mode that has been developed is a real pain in everyone's *** no question. However, it only reads speed once you have entered the couple of hundred yard "zone" give or take. By then (unless he's totally hidden in the bushes) your eyes and senses should alert you to what might be about to happen.

What does all this mean? Well, for starters, laser will be jammed up untill very close range. That's awesome! I mean, all L.E. uses laser. It's just a matter of time till you get tagged and boy is it a great feeling to stick it to the man!

On open streches of highway, ive been saved dozens of times by cops using radar. The instant on is a little trickier. But, then again, to avoid tickets nothing beats being alert. And a little luck. Trust me, in time youll see what i mean. Even if it only saves you once it's worth the price to play IMO. Keep your chin up soldier!
Old 02-13-2009, 08:36 PM

09 c63 blk/blk H&R Springs & 08 e 63 blk/blk
By the way, what kind of road where you on? Freeway? HWY? Local? What was the speed limit?
Old 02-13-2009, 09:19 PM

2009 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by g.smiley
I have the same unit, and it aint a wast of money brothaman. Look, it cant jam radar that's illegal. If it did, airport control towers would be getting all jammed up and we wouldnt want that now would we ? It can only detect it, as you now know. What that means is that as soon as you get a warning you gotta hit the breaks fast.

Law enforcement agencies are moving toward laser (lidar)since it's far more accurate at pinpointing speeders in traffic. Most have already made the expensive addition available. The good news is that laser (so far) must be shot from a stationary position.

This doesnt mean that radar will die. On the contrary, radar will be used for longer less congested roadways. Plus, it can detect speeds going in BOTH directions. This instant on mode that has been developed is a real pain in everyone's *** no question. However, it only reads speed once you have entered the couple of hundred yard "zone" give or take. By then (unless he's totally hidden in the bushes) your eyes and senses should alert you to what might be about to happen.

What does all this mean? Well, for starters, laser will be jammed up untill very close range. That's awesome! I mean, all L.E. uses laser. It's just a matter of time till you get tagged and boy is it a great feeling to stick it to the man!

On open streches of highway, ive been saved dozens of times by cops using radar. The instant on is a little trickier. But, then again, to avoid tickets nothing beats being alert. And a little luck. Trust me, in time youll see what i mean. Even if it only saves you once it's worth the price to play IMO. Keep your chin up soldier!
I shall fight the good fight then.

OK, I'll give it some more time.

On a HWY, going up a slight grade, but a straight grade.
Old 02-14-2009, 01:01 AM
Almost a Member!

you were driving 90 and are complaining about a speeding ticket? okkk
Old 02-14-2009, 02:57 AM

C63
Originally Posted by dmsc1999
you were driving 90 and are complaining about a speeding ticket? okkk
I don't think it's complaining about a speeding ticket that miffs him. It's the fact that he dropped 2 large on a radar/laser detector and it didn't help in sniffing out a speed trap.

Are you a Fed? Most of us "enthusiast" here find it a little difficult to stay under the posted speed limits (which are usually 25mph lower than the real safe driving limit) as we tend to explore the performance limits of the vehicle.

Any speeding ticket sux.

Taylor-

I would definitely suggest having the dealer check the install given that you were their 2nd install. You said you were gaining on the car in the left lane? Highly unlikely that the lead car in the left lane didn't draw his attention.
Old 02-14-2009, 06:32 AM

C63 09' LSD traded for 2010 GT-R
I think I will stick with my Valentine...
Old 02-14-2009, 09:58 AM

2009 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by jtdominate
I don't think it's complaining about a speeding ticket that miffs him. It's the fact that he dropped 2 large on a radar/laser detector and it didn't help in sniffing out a speed trap.

Any speeding ticket sux.

Taylor-

I would definitely suggest having the dealer check the install given that you were their 2nd install. You said you were gaining on the car in the left lane? Highly unlikely that the lead car in the left lane didn't draw his attention.

Yup, that's my issue $2K then ticket. Had 10 years w/o a radar detector + speeding & no ticket.

Actually, I was the guy (fool) in the left lane passing the cars. I've since learned that the Instant On used by LEOs here is unbeatable if you are the lead car. If you have a rabbit ahead and the LEO points the I/O on him/her, than the CI would have picked up on the scatter (not that that mattered, because the rabbit would have been pulled over anyways). Ergo, I feel as if having a radar detector where I/O is the norm is rather useless.
Old 02-14-2009, 09:59 AM

2009 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by catesbym
I think I will stick with my Valentine...
Instant On (I/O) would have alerted the Valentine just as it alerted my CI. The lalert tells you only that you're about to be pulled over.
Old 02-14-2009, 10:29 AM

2009 Mini Cooper Clubman S
So based on the fact I now know Instant On is a major presence where I do my primary driving, the 9500ci was a big waste of money for me. I've used a "rabbit" for years to speed with no tickets. I drop $2K w/ install and bam...nailed.
Sorry for my ignorance, but what do you mean by using a rabbit?
Old 02-14-2009, 11:44 AM

2009 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by willc55
Sorry for my ignorance, but what do you mean by using a rabbit?
NP

Rabbit = the sucker you're trailing so that he/she likely gets pulled over and not you
Old 02-14-2009, 12:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2013 Chevy 427 Torch Red
After the dealer/installer finished with my 9500, he checked it out with the 2 radar and one laser devices that he brought with him. In the two months since I have had plenty of notice to all threats but again I always find someone else to run out front. I heard the opinions about the Passport laser shifters being low tech compared to other laser specific brands. However just yesterday I witnessed a LEO in the shadows under a bridge looking confused at his laser gun a second after I recieved a laser shift warning while driving between 70 and 75 on an interstate where the posted is 55 about to be 65. Just up the road were three other less fortunates going through the liscense and registration deal. It was the first time where I knew that I was being targeted and the protection worked just as you would hope.
Old 02-14-2009, 01:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2009 C63 AMG Black on Black PP Package CF fully loaded
Originally Posted by hhughes1
After the dealer/installer finished with my 9500, he checked it out with the 2 radar and one laser devices that he brought with him. In the two months since I have had plenty of notice to all threats but again I always find someone else to run out front. I heard the opinions about the Passport laser shifters being low tech compared to other laser specific brands. However just yesterday I witnessed a LEO in the shadows under a bridge looking confused at his laser gun a second after I recieved a laser shift warning while driving between 70 and 75 on an interstate where the posted is 55 about to be 65. Just up the road were three other less fortunates going through the liscense and registration deal. It was the first time where I knew that I was being targeted and the protection worked just as you would hope.
Well your experience turned out great...but for me I went with Laser Interceptor (Diode vs weak LED) because they're top rated in regards to jamming most guns at 2000 ft + vs 200 ft and less (CI) big difference. Also the the price between both are about the same, 9500CI is about $1500 which its a IX model with laser shifter added, well from my calculations the laser shifter is costing you aprox 1K + I just purchased 9500ix for $435 and the laser interceptor Quard for $1075= $1510 shipped.. so who do you think made out?
Old 02-14-2009, 01:04 PM

2009 C63 AMG
Indeed. The 9500ci is good for laser, and very good for all radar bands.

My posts here are to warn anyone considering the 9500ci if their area is full on instant on radar and if their state does not have laser. Yeah, the 9500ci works great picking up instant on, but by definition of instant on, it's too late.
Old 02-14-2009, 03:35 PM

C63
Originally Posted by hhughes1
Hey Hughes-

Great story. The look on his face must've been priceless.

Pretty sure that's gonna be my next upgrade for the car. I was thinking ECU but given the drama going on in a few other threads...noooo wayyyy. At least until the smoke clears. I have a V1 that I can't live without and haven't done enough research on shifters to know what I'm looking for.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: diggin' da 9500ci