Maybe selling my C63

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-18-2009, 06:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by paulGT3
Taylor You have made LOTS of good points. My car history is this 97 993 Turbo
Got involved with the track crowd and went to the track and tried to make my 993 TT
like a GT3. So I bought a 996 GT3 (should have kept that one) and then my back started to deteriorate. I got a 997 GT3 still thinking I was a hard core driver. But as my back deteriorated I went to the track less and less. In the mean time my wife has had 2 335is
and one Z4M. I sold the GT3 and bought the AMG because I wanted to keep a hard core car but I had given up on being a Porsche guy because my back had deteriorated to the point it hurt to get in and out of the GT3. I had not found a solution to my back at that point and gave up on the 911. 2 months later I found out I could have my back repaired
(and the constant leg pain) I had surgery and I am at least 90% better. A little back pain but not enough that I have to be coddled. Now that I am healing and the pain has deminished I wish I had my 911 back. Given I went through a life changing event
I dont think I need to be hard core although I love the whole GT3 GT2 scene, I dont think
I will be able to physicallly track as much as I want. I think the Turbo is a good compromise for what I would like. I have been a 911 guy since I was 10. Now that I dont have one I miss it. THe TTs have fallen to what I think is a solution to my needs (wants)
I have gone through the gamut of 911s and I think I should have stayed with the Turbo.
I have done this without getting hammered financially I have really only lost taxes.
I think I cna settle down with this car and be satisfied for a long time
( I might have said that before)
Interesting series of events.

Here are my take-away themes from your recent post:
* you have a strongly-entrenched passion for Porsche
* you ditched the Porsche because of medical issues
* those medical issues are now sufficiently resolved to move into another Porsche
* you have made wise financial transactions getting out of your prior cars
* you got the C63 only because it was a fair compromise to the GT3 given your prior state of the medical condition

So I would rescind my prior vote to say no to Porsche except for 2 outstanding issues that I still have:

1) you say, "I think I cna [sic] settle down with this car and be satisfied for a long time". Why am I not hearing the following, "I'm so very sure I can settle down with this car and be satisfied for a long time". Plus, how long is a long time?

2) I've not heard you address what you meant by getting a BS in the first place and being done with it. Still not sure how that's relevant to your Porsche passion.

So my vote remains: no to Porsche, yes with keeping the C63.
Old 02-18-2009, 07:07 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
What I like!
tc, nice analysis.

The dream of owning something is, IMO, usually more exciting than the reality.

We love the thrill of the chase. With many things in life. Conquests. Accomplishments. Then on to the next. Only you can decide if your budget allows the "new car" cycle to continue.

Paul, what is lacking in the driving experience of the C63 that the Porsche will fulfill? HP? Dialed in planted feel? Sound of the flat 6? Or do you just want more of a "true sports car." That's understandable.

The GT3 attracts a lot of attention, I feel like I can't take it everywhere (don't want to park it just anywhere) and people always want to race. I got a ticket for not signaling a turn in the dang thing. The C63 delivers almost as much speed, but in a much stealthier and easier to live with package. I just feel more comfortable with it. The GT3 is worth every penny though. It is a very special car and I'm sure the TT would be special too.
Old 02-18-2009, 07:15 PM

09' C63 AMG (Gisele)
Originally Posted by taylorcoleman
Interesting series of events.

Here are my take-away themes from your recent post:
* you have a strongly-entrenched passion for Porsche
* you ditched the Porsche because of medical issues
* those medical issues are now sufficiently resolved to move into another Porsche
* you have made wise financial transactions getting out of your prior cars
* you got the C63 only because it was a fair compromise to the GT3 given your prior state of the medical condition

So I would rescind my prior vote to say no to Porsche except for 2 outstanding issues that I still have:

1) you say, "I think I cna [sic] settle down with this car and be satisfied for a long time". Why am I not hearing the following, "I'm so very sure I can settle down with this car and be satisfied for a long time". Plus, how long is a long time?

2) I've not heard you address what you meant by getting a BS in the first place and being done with it. Still not sure how that's relevant to your Porsche passion.

So my vote remains: no to Porsche, yes with keeping the C63.
Hmmm... calm down? Sorry, I just think you are taking things a little too serious here. Let the man do what he wishes.. to be honest with you Paul, even though I adore the C63 and I think it is by far one of THE most awesome cars that will forever be put in the pages of history, it is no Porsche.

If you can still make those wise financial decisions to get out of the C63 deal, go for it and post those 911 Turbo pictures as soon as you get it!
Old 02-18-2009, 07:20 PM

AMG C63
Hans and Taylor, You guys should get paid for your analysis.
Taylor the reason I havent Said I KNOW I will be happy with the TT is because I havent
driven it. I get a kick just out of seeing it in the garage. I live where I can open it up.
the BS was just an off the cuff remark. I have been tempted by several guys who have one.
One of my buddies has a BS and any Ferrari he wants. He has tried talking me into the BS.
Its just the little devil on my left shoulder talking. I could have bought his for $10k more than my new C63.
The only way I can explain it is I dumped a girl friend I shouldnt have. I regret it and I realize my mistake and I want her back.
Hans your right I love the chase. Absolutely love it.
A long time Taylor would be 5 years plus. I have yet to show that but I think I can do
it. I love the dry sump motor the sound of the car with muffler bypasses but quieter than
my GT3 The GT3 was crazy loud. I would like a cross between a GT3 and the C63. I think thats the TT.

Mrtesting I love the fact that Taylor cares. That means alot. I think the C63 will be the first car I will lose
10K on I sold the 993 TT for what I paid for it. The 996 GT3 5K less than I paid for it and the 997 GT3
I got 115K for it when MSRP was 122K

Wifey is still not on boad.

Last edited by paulGT3; 02-18-2009 at 07:23 PM.
Old 02-18-2009, 08:45 PM

2009 C63 AMG
Hans and Taylor, You guys should get paid for your analysis.
Taylor the reason I havent Said I KNOW I will be happy with the TT is because I havent
driven it. I get a kick just out of seeing it in the garage. I live where I can open it up.
the BS was just an off the cuff remark. I have been tempted by several guys who have one.
One of my buddies has a BS and any Ferrari he wants. He has tried talking me into the BS.
Its just the little devil on my left shoulder talking. I could have bought his for $10k more than my new C63.
The only way I can explain it is I dumped a girl friend I shouldnt have. I regret it and I realize my mistake and I want her back.
Hans your right I love the chase. Absolutely love it.
A long time Taylor would be 5 years plus. I have yet to show that but I think I can do
it. I love the dry sump motor the sound of the car with muffler bypasses but quieter than
my GT3 The GT3 was crazy loud. I would like a cross between a GT3 and the C63. I think thats the TT.

Mrtesting I love the fact that Taylor cares. That means alot. I think the C63 will be the first car I will lose
10K on I sold the 993 TT for what I paid for it. The 996 GT3 5K less than I paid for it and the 997 GT3
I got 115K for it when MSRP was 122K

Wifey is still not on boad.
Well...there is one little/big detail I overlooked (your screenname) -- I think that says it all

FWIW, I'm now sufficiently convinced you jumping into a TT seems to fit your wants/needs assuming your test drive goes well. Given your history, I wonder if you have any buddies with one that she'd/he'd be willing to let you drive for ~ 1 week or so. Not sure what would be a sufficient trade for that week's worth of bashing (er, driving). Also sounds as if the potential loss on the C63 would not crimp your style.

I call total B.S. on the 5-year thing

Thanks for noticing that I care. As for my fee, just a 1/2 day in the TT (driver's seat) will be sufficient.
Old 02-18-2009, 09:20 PM

AMG C63
I have a friend who would let me have one for the week if I gave him my C63.

Yea youre right on the 5 year thing but I have retirement coming 5-10 years so one
of these need to be my last one
Old 02-18-2009, 10:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Merc power
Originally Posted by SebringSilver
But honestly, even a Black Series isn't a subsitute for a Porsche. It's a great car (the BS), but it's a different sort of animal compared to the GT3 or the TT (as I'm sure you know better than most of us). If the financials work for you, why not just pick up a Porsche and have that as a fun car, leaving the C63 as your daily driver?

That'd work for me if I was in the same position as you.
^^ agree, keep the 63 for family purpose, get the P car for pleasure
Old 02-18-2009, 11:19 PM

AMG C63
1qikctr
I have a X5 4.8is for family motivating really quickly!
Old 02-20-2009, 04:00 PM

2007 Inifiniti G35
some great deals on the 911 out there right now... good luck
Old 02-20-2009, 09:12 PM

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts
2021 E63 S Sedan
Paul,
You are a porche guy to the core. And a performance guy to the core. Make the move to another Porche, but keep the C63 for your wife (convince her that it will be a great follow up to her BMW), that way it stays in the garage and you can drive it from time to time.
Old 02-21-2009, 11:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
STS,FGT,12C,P85D,M4
reelgr, buy that C63..... what is the price?
Old 02-21-2009, 05:22 PM

AMG C63
FIkse New onew are going for 63 with PP. I am asking 62OBO it has 2500 and CLEAR BRA
its basically just broken in with the clear bra added. I have also detailed the swirl marks out for a perfect finish.
Old 02-21-2009, 05:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

STS,FGT,12C,P85D,M4
you probably need to be in the mid 50's to move the car.....
Old 02-21-2009, 05:58 PM

AMG C63
I got a trade value of 56.6 to 58 so I dont need to go lower than what a Porsche dealer would give me for the car. Thats no mess no fuss for me. But I thought I would try to get it to a enthusiast first. I mean if a guy is going into a dealer to buy one for $64 or more (MB has stopped production to boost prices) then he has to break in in and add clear bra for another 1500 bucks, why not buy one that is JUST broken in with Clear bra for free and save $3000 or more. I have even detailed the finish and the leather.So in reality its better than one off the floor. I own it out right so I would just sign over the title and depending on what state the buyer could save even more.
It would be another issue if the car had 10000 miles on it.
Old 02-21-2009, 06:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

STS,FGT,12C,P85D,M4
yea, maybe you can get more.... the 2009's are going for 55k at the auction....

the 2008's are in the 45-48k range at the auctions.... I didn't think the 2009's would fetch that much more....

good luck with the sale....

I got a trade value of 56.6 to 58 so I dont need to go lower than what a Porsche dealer would give me for the car. Thats no mess no fuss for me. But I thought I would try to get it to a enthusiast first. I mean if a guy is going into a dealer to buy one for $64 or more (MB has stopped production to boost prices) then he has to break in in and add clear bra for another 1500 bucks, why not buy one that is JUST broken in with Clear bra for free and save $3000 or more. I have even detailed the finish and the leather.So in reality its better than one off the floor. I own it out right so I would just sign over the title and depending on what state the buyer could save even more.
Old 02-21-2009, 07:36 PM

AMG C63
You and I seem to agree I should be able to get 58 60 retail right? if P car dealer is giving
me 58 I should be able to get 2-3k more in private sale correct? I agree 55 at action.
BUT usually there is a story in an auction car. Thats why I would never buy a Pcar or ferrari at an auction. There is a reason they passed through all those hands and go to auction.
mine is an 09
Old 02-21-2009, 09:44 PM

2009 C63 Capri Blue
Originally Posted by Hans Delbruck
Paul, what is lacking in the driving experience of the C63 that the Porsche will fulfill? HP? Dialed in planted feel? Sound of the flat 6? Or do you just want more of a "true sports car." That's understandable.
My answer would be yes to all but HP. I came from a 2007 997S and while my C63 has more HP and torque, and may run a slightly faster quarter mile, it is just no replacement for the 911 in so many categories. To be fair, you can't compare a 3100 lb 2-door sports coupe to an 4000 lb 4-door sedan with a big engine shoved under the hood. And don't get me wrong - I really enjoy the C63 and appreciate the fact that its able to get my kids to daycare and back (something the 911 couldn't do, and something we need every day now that my wife is changing jobs), but we both miss the 911 very much.

My wife made me promise we would get another 911 one day - maybe once the kids are big enough to sit in the back with nothing but booster or just the regular seat belt.
Old 02-22-2009, 01:39 AM

AMG C63
911 is a special sickness. I dont think there is a cure. The C63 is a great band aid and its great to take people around. That is the cool thing about it. I used to have to plan on who to take when in the 911. But with the C63 its great to take 3-4 people.
No replacement for a 911 though.
Old 02-22-2009, 11:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts
96 and 08 911 turbos
sorry man, its still a used car no matter what you've done to it.

Given that you are looking at giving a buyer a $2-3k discount from new on a high performance car, I'd say most buyers willing to drop $60k for a vehicle would just suck it up and pay the extra money for a new car.
Old 02-22-2009, 12:24 PM

C63
You and I seem to agree I should be able to get 58 60 retail right? if P car dealer is giving
me 58 I should be able to get 2-3k more in private sale correct? I agree 55 at action.
BUT usually there is a story in an auction car. Thats why I would never buy a Pcar or ferrari at an auction. There is a reason they passed through all those hands and go to auction.
mine is an 09
If I want to get rid of my C63 and a dealer is giving me 58 for my 3k miles used car, I would do it.
Old 02-22-2009, 01:39 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2014 E63
If a dealer is giving you $58k, you should run and take that deal. But, it depends also on the Porsche car price. You are basically playing against two numbers, the trade price of the Mercedes and Porsche sale price. They may give a little more on the trade, but offset that by not taking as much as they could off the Porsche.
Old 02-22-2009, 01:54 PM

335i e90 / C63 / R6
Goodluck on the sale man both cars are great and can't u can't go wrong either way
Old 02-22-2009, 02:09 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2009 E63 AMG
I agree if the dealer is giving you $58K then just trade it.That's a good deal. I'm sure they are doing a higher price like that to move the Porche. I did the same thing when I traded a E350 up to my E63. They gave me a ton of extra money on the E63 so that they could move the 90+K E63.
Old 02-22-2009, 03:24 PM

AMG C63
In my opinion if you want to discuss the price of your car you should do it privately.
Basically your guessing and the devaluing a guys price by commenting publicly. Thats really uncalled for. Supposed you had a car for sale and put it on the forum at $50k and I get on your thread and say its worth $35k and I am just guessing based on internet asking prices. I have just damaged your sale. Then I devalue your car just by making a comment wether I know what I am talking about or not. If you dont have a stake in the car then you should PM or not comment.
What I do is if I have information on a price
I comment privately. Its not my place unless I am a potential buy to comment on a price
I can sway buyers opinions just by making a snide comment. Buyers can influence prices or other buyers just buy undertalking a price.
It shouldnt be done. Buyers want lower prices and always comment under real prices.

If I want to take the trade I will take it. A trade is a 2 way deal. The purchase price of the other car can influence the trade price. It shouldnt but it does. Although I have a good trade price I am not happy with the purchase price. Really if you are not interested then keep your comments private. Its just common courtesy and forum decorum.
Unless you have sold a car or talked to a dealer in the last week your guestimates on prices are worthless. All these prices are dynamic and change day to day based on demand and even what MB does in production. If a C63 just sold for 55k and you want to buy one for 55k and there arent any C63s for sale at 55k then the market is not 55K, its what ever the market dictates at that time.
Another worthless number is what dealers are making at auction.
Like I said before cars at auction in this area have stories in the Fcar Pcar and some high end AMGs. There is a reason the cars fall to auction. The higher end the cars the better
chance the cars have a story that end up at auction. Otherwise they sell before they hit the auction block. If not we would all have broker licenses and we would be driving F430s we bought for $90k

Last edited by paulGT3; 02-22-2009 at 03:27 PM.
Old 02-22-2009, 03:45 PM

2009 C63 AMG
In my opinion if you want to discuss the price of your car you should do it privately.
Basically your guessing and the devaluing a guys price by commenting publicly. Thats really uncalled for. Supposed you had a car for sale and put it on the forum at $50k and I get on your thread and say its worth $35k and I am just guessing based on internet asking prices. I have just damaged your sale. Then I devalue your car just by making a comment wether I know what I am talking about or not. If you dont have a stake in the car then you should PM or not comment.
What I do is if I have information on a price
I comment privately. Its not my place unless I am a potential buy to comment on a price
I can sway buyers opinions just by making a snide comment. Buyers can influence prices or other buyers just buy undertalking a price.
It shouldnt be done. Buyers want lower prices and always comment under real prices.

If I want to take the trade I will take it. A trade is a 2 way deal. The purchase price of the other car can influence the trade price. It shouldnt but it does. Although I have a good trade price I am not happy with the purchase price. Really if you are not interested then keep your comments private. Its just common courtesy and forum decorum.
Unless you have sold a car or talked to a dealer in the last week your guestimates on prices are worthless. All these prices are dynamic and change day to day based on demand and even what MB does in production. If a C63 just sold for 55k and you want to buy one for 55k and there arent any C63s for sale at 55k then the market is not 55K, its what ever the market dictates at that time.
Another worthless number is what dealers are making at auction.
Like I said before cars at auction in this area have stories in the Fcar Pcar and some high end AMGs. There is a reason the cars fall to auction. The higher end the cars the better
chance the cars have a story that end up at auction. Otherwise they sell before they hit the auction block. If not we would all have broker licenses and we would be driving F430s we bought for $90k
Paul:

With all due respect, I feel if someone wants to comment on how much your car is worth, they can, whether they are using reliable sources, or just their own intuition.

I can, however, see how this would upset you--it would upset me as well.

If your P-car dealer offered you $58k for your C63, and you are happy with the P-car's selling price, I'd say take it. Sure, perhaps you could sell your C63 for higher than $58k in a private party transaction, but you would incur direct and indirect expenses including the following:
* wear and tear of people hammering your car in test drive(s) -- tires, etc.
* the time you will invest in selling your car PP (you don't just sign the title without having to go down to a notary, etc.)
* the P-car dealer perhaps changing their mind on the $58k trade if you come back to them 1 month from now after possibly being unsuccessful in selling the C63 PP

You're passionate about the P-car, they offered you what I believe to be a great trade price, and it's no hassle for you going that route.

I'm really not quite sure why we haven't seen pics of your awesome new toy yet

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Maybe selling my C63