Sponsored by:

Thoughts: C63 vs CTS-V

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-17-2009, 03:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 C32 AMG & 2009 CTS-V
Originally Posted by Razorecko
Hey eric, how many miles on your v ? - hopefully its something minor and nothing to do with the reverse synchro's
Hey Razor,... just got in from dealer. Good news is, the problem causing my reverse to go AWOL is a known issue. Seems as though the TR6060 uses a dual clutch setup or something and one failed to dis-engage. Initially, I thought it might be a linkage issue at best, or an internal problem with the box itself like a syncro or cog issue at worst. None of those. Quick in-n-out,... well maybe I should say, "quick up-n-down. Arrived at the dealership very early this morning and my V got on the lift around 11:15. Got it back just short of two hours later. Not one dime. They also changed my oil, aligned the fronts and inspected a few other things. Got a chance to see the tranny out,... a very compact box compared to the average automatic, even some manuals. And if it was infact the clutch I was looking at,... well it's (they're) very small in diameter. Kinda odd if you ask me. An engine with all that torque you would think the clutch plate would be rather large. Got a pretty good explanation of how the MRC system works and why the rotors are solid as opposed to being slotted or drilled. Other than that,... an un-eventful dealer visit. Reverse works fine now.

Oh,... almost forgot. I have a little over 850 on the odomether. Figure I will hit 1k this weekend,... plan on a trip to N.J. (Camden) and prolly a trip or two over to Philly while I'm there.

Tell you what,... I'm thinking I'll prolly end up buying new Pilot Sport for the rear before the summer is over. Man those things look like they're a year old.

One more thing,... they already have brochures showing off the CTS coupe. They were laying around all over the place. No pics of the coupe in V trim though. Wonder if that means plans for one have been scrapped? Then again, C350's hit the streets and brochures 2-3-4 months before the C63. When I asked how long it would be before the coupe (in any trim) would reach the showroom floors, no one knew. Some said it wouldn't be until late in the year.
Old 04-17-2009, 06:49 PM

^ hey eric look into the nitto invo tires. They're much cheaper and ALOT grippier than the ps2's. They dont handle as well but if you up the pressure to like 37/38psi than they handle almost as well. Quick question, when you go wot in first gear are you hitting any psi on the blower ?? or is it all 2nd+ for you ?
Old 04-17-2009, 09:00 PM

^ hey eric look into the nitto invo tires. They're much cheaper and ALOT grippier than the ps2's. They dont handle as well but if you up the pressure to like 37/38psi than they handle almost as well. Quick question, when you go wot in first gear are you hitting any psi on the blower ?? or is it all 2nd+ for you ?
You know what,... someone else was telling me about Nitto. Think I will give them a look see,... and it better be soon. I looked at those rears while the car was up in the air and it was obvious I had been a bad boy. I hear they have fairly good life for a soft tire. I also heard they were pretty noisy,... don't really care about that though. I had a pair of PS last me 2 seasons on the C32 once. But after I got the pulley kit and the LSD installed, that never happened again. Fact is, the AMG could use a new pair of shoes as we speak.

I'm googling now to see if I can find more info on this dual clutch thing. I'd like to now more of 'how' and 'why'.
Old 04-17-2009, 09:27 PM

^ so have you hit any psi/boost in 1st gear wot ?
Old 04-17-2009, 11:45 PM

^ so have you hit any psi/boost in 1st gear wot ?
Kinda hard to say,... for several reasons. First, I haven't really done WOT in 1st. The few times I've tried launching from dead, I would dump around 3-3.5, ease into 1/2 to 3/4 throttle until the best lock I thought I could get, then move onto 2nd as quickly as possible. Hearing very little low pressure sound (not whine) so I would imagine there's not a lot of boost. I'm thinking 2nd and 3rd in this situation is producing the most boost. The other thing is I don't look at the boost gauge that much, especially if I'm showin' off a little or seeing what's what. I see a lot of boost when I'm aggressively doing on ramps, but I'm no where near 1st gear in those situations. Even then I'm either in 2nd or 3rd,... sometimes even 4th when I get into it.

If I'm not answering your question, throw it at me again from a different angel, OR if there's something specific you wanna know about the 09, give me a situation I can re-create and I'll let you know. But based on the sensation I get from the V thus far, WOT in 1st gear sorta scares me.
Old 04-19-2009, 10:04 AM

the first auto V2 just hit 12.0 w/ a 1.9 60ft in 80 degree weather ...fully stock w/ stock tires
Old 04-19-2009, 12:20 PM

2007 Corvette Z06/2011 BMW M3
12.0@118

Last edited by 6.3AMG; 04-19-2009 at 12:26 PM.
Old 05-02-2009, 02:02 PM

Ok,... I promised updates in the event of major issues, good or bad. Here's the first.

I will have to hand over my V to the dealer for a few days come Tuesday. Been having major problems with my UltraView top. First it was an issue with the open/close cycling. It wouldn't completely close with one push, often requiring multiple button pushes to get the damn thing to properly close, and sometimes to completely open. They said it needed to be synchronized. As a C32 owner, that sounded reasonable as the most Mercs have the same problem after loosing battery power. But with the V, it seemed to be happening without reason. Earlier this week, I began to notice a lot of squeaking coming from the UltraView, then some unsettling grinding noises. Took it to them this past Thursday and now I'm being told there is probably a tracking or warping problem. They have agreed to completely replace the UltraView top under warranty. I checked over at the Caddy forum and others are having similar problems, but haven't read of any total UltraView replacements. I remember having similar problems with the C32 when it was new, but with the driver's seat. Kept getting seat module failures that would drain my battery overnight, and after a while, caused some other problems with the seat. MB ended up replacing almost everything under the seat. That was also within the first year of ownership. I'm thinking it's not a warping problem as I have not experienced any leaking through the Ultraview, and we've had some pretty big rain here lately. Will post again after picking the car up.
Old 05-02-2009, 02:30 PM

09' C63 AMG
Both you clowns are at it again, posting about your V's sunroof issues like anyone actually cares besides your gay lover. And even better, you justify it by stating you also had problems with your C32 when you got it... haha seriously bro how insecure are you about your purchase...
Old 05-02-2009, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by DaGS1800
Both you clowns are at it again, posting about your V's sunroof issues like anyone actually cares besides your gay lover. And even better, you justify it by stating you also had problems with your C32 when you got it... haha seriously bro how insecure are you about your purchase...
Hey DaGS,... if you don't like what's contained in the thread, just don't click on it. OK? Please stop you childish behavior. Now you're beginning to act like a spoiled brat.

BTW, do the C63 have to recync their sun roofs after a power disrupt like the older C's? If so, what is your re-syncing routine? I've tried the one I normally use with the C32, but with very little luck on the V. If you routine is different, maybe I might more success tryin' to apply some of those basics. Thanks! I've heard most sunroofs pretty much operate the same and most use the same or similar electronics.
Old 05-02-2009, 03:27 PM

STi
Originally Posted by ericpd
Ok,... I promised updates in the event of major issues, good or bad. Here's the first.

I will have to hand over my V to the dealer for a few days come Tuesday. Been having major problems with my UltraView top. First it was an issue with the open/close cycling. It wouldn't completely close with one push, often requiring multiple button pushes to get the damn thing to properly close, and sometimes to completely open. They said it needed to be synchronized. As a C32 owner, that sounded reasonable as the most Mercs have the same problem after loosing battery power. But with the V, it seemed to be happening without reason. Earlier this week, I began to notice a lot of squeaking coming from the UltraView, then some unsettling grinding noises. Took it to them this past Thursday and now I'm being told there is probably a tracking or warping problem. They have agreed to completely replace the UltraView top under warranty. I checked over at the Caddy forum and others are having similar problems, but haven't read of any total UltraView replacements. I remember having similar problems with the C32 when it was new, but with the driver's seat. Kept getting seat module failures that would drain my battery overnight, and after a while, caused some other problems with the seat. MB ended up replacing almost everything under the seat. That was also within the first year of ownership. I'm thinking it's not a warping problem as I have not experienced any leaking through the Ultraview, and we've had some pretty big rain here lately. Will post again after picking the car up.
Maybe there's some flexing of the roof with all that power?

BTW, you've got to like the way this thing sounds..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBaSnXlgZlY
Old 05-02-2009, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by bluert
Maybe there's some flexing of the roof with all that power?

BTW, you've got to like the way this thing sounds..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBaSnXlgZlY
DAAAAMN! Well I can tell you for certain, mine don't sound nowhere like that. JEEEZ! Sure would like to know the cost of that Hennessy V700 mod. Sounds almost as nice as a stock C63! Wonder what his speed was as he ran out of gears in 2nd?

Anyway,... I asked about torque flexing, but was told that with all the extra chassis and body bracing the 09 V is endowed with, it's prolly not the cause. According to the V tech I spoke with (that's right, most high volume Caddy dealers have on staff a tech specifically trained and certified for V Series models) it's either a known problem with the electronics, a tracking problem, a warping problem (which is more than likely the source of a tracking problem), or maybe even a combination of these. She says (yep, my dealer's V Tech is a chick, and she sounds like she knows her stuff) it's prolly better, easier and more cost effective to pull it apart and replace the major/moving parts. I'm all for that, especially since it's a warranty job! They've already tried lubricating everything and resetting stuff, and the problem persists. What's surprising is that there's nothing in the Owner's Manual or on the CD that addresses this.

Last edited by ericpd; 05-02-2009 at 08:10 PM.
Old 05-02-2009, 05:19 PM

2007 E63, 2006 C55
RE:09 CTS-V

Guys, I have had on 09 CTS-V since January, and aside from needing the alignment tweaked slightly when it was delivered, it has been completely trouble free. Mine is auto with every option except for the Recaro seats. I chose this car over the C63 because it is E class sized, has E class content, goes, corners, and stops like stink, and I candidly wanted it more after test driving both.

I recently invested in a $400 (yes $400) handheld tune sold by a very sharp guy on the Cadillac Forum, we have several folks over there running 11's with this tune in stock cars, not even touching boost level. I am confident mine will get into the 11's (with traction). I have not had time to get to a track yet but will do so this Summer.

I am still very much a Benz guy, am going to upgrade my E550 to an SL55 pretty soon, but the CTS-V is a well sorted out and very gratifying car that is worth a look if you can get past that 3 pointed star bias. Try one out you won't be disappointed.
Old 05-02-2009, 06:38 PM

STi
DAAAAMN! Well I can tell you for certain, mine don't sound nowhere like that. JEEEZ! Sure would like to know the cost of that Hennessy V700 mod. Sounds almost as nice as a stock C63! Wonder what his speed was as he ran out of gears in 2nd?

The Hennessy V700 is $15K includes head/cam, tuned, 13psi pulley, header/exhaust. 605 whp. They say it should trap high 129 and could dip into the 10's with drag radials or low 11's with street tires.
Here's the related thread on the CF: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...zr1-video.html
Old 05-02-2009, 09:14 PM

09' C63 AMG
Hey DaGS,... if you don't like what's contained in the thread, just don't click on it. OK? Please stop you childish behavior. Now you're beginning to act like a spoiled brat.

BTW, do the C63 have to recync their sun roofs after a power disrupt like the older C's? If so, what is your re-syncing routine? I've tried the one I normally use with the C32, but with very little luck on the V. If you routine is different, maybe I might more success tryin' to apply some of those basics. Thanks! I've heard most sunroofs pretty much operate the same and most use the same or similar electronics.
LOL yeah I’m a spoiled brat whatever you say... No one ever gave me anything in life, but you're right I am spoiled... Is this annoying you? haha I sure hope so..

HAHAHA I love how you change the topic to the C63's sunroof after... Finally some valuable input!
Old 05-02-2009, 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by bluert
The Hennessy V700 is $15K includes head/cam, tuned, 13psi pulley, header/exhaust. 605 whp. They say it should trap high 129 and could dip into the 10's with drag radials or low 11's with street tires.
Here's the related thread on the CF: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...zr1-video.html
That's not bad considering you're talking about an engine tear down (heads and cam) to the short block, a complete performance exhaust system including headers, and the install. I've heard of guys spending more than that to get to those kinda numbers. Hell, I remember reading sometime back about some guy who dropped nearly 40 grand on an M5 to get into that neighborhood. But,... what he ended up with was a very evil M5. Can't remember what the mod package was called, but stroking the V10 was the cornerstone of the mod. He's also got a couple youtube clips up and it IS wicked. There's also a couple C63 mod packages out there two,... not sure what they're costing though. But it's been said that the C63 can reach these numbers with just opening up it's breathing and a healthy tune.

Last edited by ericpd; 05-02-2009 at 10:32 PM.
Old 05-02-2009, 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by DaGS1800
LOL yeah I’m a spoiled brat whatever you say... No one ever gave me anything in life, but you're right I am spoiled... Is this annoying you? haha I sure hope so..

HAHAHA I love how you change the topic to the C63's sunroof after... Finally some valuable input!
Annoying? No. Entertaining? Yes! It's always entertaining watching one lose control. And listening to you squealing and rattling around in your cage like an agitated chimp is just priceless! All over a CTS-V induced rage. Yes,... you my friend, are entertaining.

Valuable? Well you haven't offered anything valuable yet. I'll ask again,... do the C63 have a recyn routine for the sunroof like the earlier C's? If so, what is it? I'm trying to see if it's any different than the one I go through after power disruption.

Last edited by ericpd; 05-03-2009 at 01:15 AM.
Old 05-03-2009, 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by NCE500
Guys, I have had on 09 CTS-V since January, and aside from needing the alignment tweaked slightly when it was delivered, it has been completely trouble free. Mine is auto with every option except for the Recaro seats. I chose this car over the C63 because it is E class sized, has E class content, goes, corners, and stops like stink, and I candidly wanted it more after test driving both.

I recently invested in a $400 (yes $400) handheld tune sold by a very sharp guy on the Cadillac Forum, we have several folks over there running 11's with this tune in stock cars, not even touching boost level. I am confident mine will get into the 11's (with traction). I have not had time to get to a track yet but will do so this Summer.

I am still very much a Benz guy, am going to upgrade my E550 to an SL55 pretty soon, but the CTS-V is a well sorted out and very gratifying car that is worth a look if you can get past that 3 pointed star bias. Try one out you won't be disappointed.
Sounds like you have wait4me's tune - give it a little time he's going to look into cam/head options and see what works best. He realllly knows his stuff and is reasonably priced
Old 05-03-2009, 11:57 AM

2009 C63 AMG, 2013 ML350 BlueTec, 2012 VW GLI
After 4 pages of this s**t, why are we still entertaining this guys CTS? Its just a GM piece of junk that will be worthless in 3-4 years. Can't you see that he needs to justify his purchase and is doing everything in his power to feel better about his decision? Too bad, its still a GM, no matter what. You'll see soon how faulty those superchargers are, belts snapping and all. Yahoo, you bought a CTS-V and its the fastest car in the world....for now!
Old 05-03-2009, 12:35 PM

Sounds like you have wait4me's tune - give it a little time he's going to look into cam/head options and see what works best. He realllly knows his stuff and is reasonably priced
Are you saying Hennessey is a little on the pricey side? I've heard others make that comment too.

I'd be interested in hearing what some of the C63 pilots in here paying for a comparable tune kit from some of the Euro tuners? Like I said in an earlier post, I've heard of some M pilots paying as much as 40k for a tune kit. I looked that kit up after mentioning it and it includes having their V10 stroked,... a massive tear down and rebuild!

Last edited by ericpd; 05-03-2009 at 12:57 PM.
Old 05-03-2009, 01:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 A8L, 2002 996TT X50, 2009 X5
Are you saying Hennessey is a little on the pricey side? I've heard others make that comment too.

I'd be interested in hearing what some of the C63 pilots in here paying for a comparable tune kit from some of the Euro tuners? Like I said in an earlier post, I've heard of some M pilots paying as much as 40k for a tune kit. I looked that kit up after mentioning it and it includes having their V10 stroked,... a massive tear down and rebuild!
I trust you'll find the CTS-V much more reasonable to mod, vs. what the typical Euro-market tuner charges.

Think of it this way - pulley kit, ECU tuning, headers/exhaust mods, heads, cams, all labor for installation, and a supplemental warranty, all for $15k. And that's for one of the pricey CTS-V tuners...? IMHO, just reinforces that domestic tuning is a whole 'nother ballgame from what luxury European marque owners are used to - much better bang for your buck. Be interesting to see if that does indeed get the V down to 11.00 ET w/ DRs.

For the C63, the most economically-priced option is Kleemann. Otherwise, you're probably paying close to $10-15k (tuner-dependent) for ECU tuning and headers, parts-only.
Old 05-03-2009, 03:27 PM

^ Hennessey is way overpriced and a total scam. If you search the forums especially viper forums you'll hear horror stories like owners doing suprise visits on their rides and finding out that hennessey sold parts off the vehicle to prepare another ride -lol. Right now with mods the biggest damper is traction. Even with 18's on dr's traction still seems to be an issue. Its not so much the hp as the tq curve thats melting the tires
Old 05-03-2009, 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by Morro
After 4 pages of this s**t, why are we still entertaining this guys CTS? Its just a GM piece of junk that will be worthless in 3-4 years. Can't you see that he needs to justify his purchase and is doing everything in his power to feel better about his decision? Too bad, its still a GM, no matter what. You'll see soon how faulty those superchargers are, belts snapping and all. Yahoo, you bought a CTS-V and its the fastest car in the world....for now!
Why do some of you guys (a select few it seems) develop such an ugly rash at the slightest mention of a CTS-V? Calling the car a 'GM piece of junk' does nothing but amplify your ignorance and highlights your determination to remain ignorant. As far as being worthless in 3-4 years, well I grant you, that is a very real possibility, something I ponder everyday. Given GM's deteriorating corporate health,... it's also a daily scare for me. However, if the car is as solid as I and many others suspect, and GM for some reason doesn't survive,... well guess what. I'm sitting on a gold mine,... a classic! Maybe worth even more than my Dad's Avanti one day.

Still,... if you would take the time work your butt into a set of those Recaro's before you took the time to work your mouth, maybe you'd see the logic. But you may be right about one thing,... a small part of why I'm here may be an attempt to justify my purchase. But the other 99.99% of the reason why I'm here is because I still am ab admitted loyal Benz/AMG fan. It would take much more than the purchase of a Cadillac to end that loyalty. I think maybe a more relevant assumption is the confidence you have in your purchase. I know a lot of AMG owners, many of them behind the wheel of a C63, and I don't hear this kinda childish whinning from them. Instead, I sense an enormous amount of fellowship while exchanging mutual admiration. I know for a fact they're very confident in their purchase and have no need to bash or go into a frenzy at the sight or mention of a CTS-V. I know this in real life and from time on this and other boards. I suspect you also own a BMW,... you sure behave like you do.

Speaking of BMW's, I've noticed over time BMW owners seem to have this unspoken allegiance with Audi owners for whatever reason. Likewise, us C32 pilots still have a similar relationship with Crossfire owners. Masaratti owners have a twisted kinda connection with Lambo owners some would say,... but they collectively hate owners of the prancing horse, as do C32 and Crossfire owners nurture a dislike for M3 owners, and BMW and Audi owners scowl at AMG owners. Lord knows what goes on in the head of an Abarth owner,... I guess we'll soon find out! Anyway,... a lot of CTS-V owners, including myself, seem to have this gravitation to the AMG way of viewing the world. Me,... I got no problem with the connection. Sorry you do! What a waste!

Last edited by ericpd; 05-03-2009 at 09:04 PM.
Old 05-03-2009, 10:13 PM

2009 C63 AMG, 2013 ML350 BlueTec, 2012 VW GLI
Do I hear page 5?
Old 05-03-2009, 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by Morro
Do I hear page 5?
I dunno,... what's on page 5?

Last edited by ericpd; 05-03-2009 at 11:25 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 1.00 average.

Quick Reply: Thoughts: C63 vs CTS-V