Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Kleemann or not to Kleemann

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-16-2009, 12:25 PM

Received 35 Likes on 15 Posts
AMG GT-R
That price in the link includes the ECU tune as well, not just the headers.
Old 09-16-2009, 08:54 PM
Z99

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
c63 amg
Have K2. It is clear that it it not the highest HP tune. But, I am very happy. On a Dyno Jet I got 357 hp stock. Not a very strong car. With just ECU and BMC filters I got up to 419. But the curve was right on top of the stock curve until after 4000+ rpm. with K2 it went to 445. But, the entire curve moved up as well. Headers really helped the hp and tq numbers in the lower rpm range. At Beaver run, on the straights the car pulls away from both GT3s and turbos.
Old 09-17-2009, 09:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C63
Originally Posted by Z99
Have K2. It is clear that it it not the highest HP tune. But, I am very happy. On a Dyno Jet I got 357 hp stock. Not a very strong car. With just ECU and BMC filters I got up to 419. But the curve was right on top of the stock curve until after 4000+ rpm. with K2 it went to 445. But, the entire curve moved up as well. Headers really helped the hp and tq numbers in the lower rpm range. At Beaver run, on the straights the car pulls away from both GT3s and turbos.
What octain gas are you using? Are the Dyno numbers SAE?
Old 09-17-2009, 08:45 PM
Z99

c63 amg
Originally Posted by kuta01
What octain gas are you using? Are the Dyno numbers SAE?
93 octane. Someone needs to help me out here with SAE question. What is US standard? I believe it is SAE.
Old 09-18-2009, 09:54 AM

C63
Originally Posted by Z99
93 octane. Someone needs to help me out here with SAE question. What is US standard? I believe it is SAE.
My understanding is SAE corrects for more variables and is considered a better comparison for different dynos, temp, humidity etc...

STD corrects for some things and typically provides higher (approx 3%?) HP and TQ numbers. It may not be the best number to compare.

To find out which, it is usually shown on the top right of a dyno chart as CF:SAE or CF:STD

The other things to keep in mind:
* The gear used to the pull (5th gear on the C63 is the most popular - closest to 1:1 ratio i believe)
* Octain gas used
* to some extent, the level of smoothing used to calculate the numbers (level 5 is common ie CF:SAE:5).

Were you SAE or STD and do you remember what gear?

Thanks in advance
Old 09-18-2009, 10:29 PM
Z99

c63 amg
Originally Posted by kuta01
My understanding is SAE corrects for more variables and is considered a better comparison for different dynos, temp, humidity etc...

STD corrects for some things and typically provides higher (approx 3%?) HP and TQ numbers. It may not be the best number to compare.

To find out which, it is usually shown on the top right of a dyno chart as CF:SAE or CF:STD

The other things to keep in mind:
* The gear used to the pull (5th gear on the C63 is the most popular - closest to 1:1 ratio i believe)
* Octain gas used
* to some extent, the level of smoothing used to calculate the numbers (level 5 is common ie CF:SAE:5).

Were you SAE or STD and do you remember what gear?

Thanks in advance
SAE and 4th gear
Old 09-19-2009, 01:48 AM

2000 ML55/Kleeman Headers
Do it

the guys at Kleeman in Colorado are the sh== these guys are very helpful and nice and patient
Old 01-29-2010, 09:21 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'09 C63 AMG, '10 ML350 4Matic
Originally Posted by chubbs032
Sounds good, Kleemann is still my top choice just based on price alone.

Do you know if Kleemann opens up the actual ECU box and mess with the hardware or is it just programming and plugged in?

I ask this because Boxk in the c-class forums got the MKB tune and the ECU had been opened (metal was tampered with), which would be clearly visible to the dealer and potentially bring up warranty issues. Does Keith's MKB ECU show the same tampering?

Hope bokx doesn't mind me using his ECU pic
Yeah, just got mine back from Kleemann and they definitely opened the ECU up (and did a sloppy job, along the lines of what BoxK's looks like...I'll post pics soon). Anyway, I haven't run it yet, and as long as it runs good, I'm happy...but I was surprised, I would have thought just plugging in leads and doing a program would work. I had my STi ECU tuned, and it was all done via port in the car, and didn't need opened. I don't think this is standard practice.
Old 01-29-2010, 09:50 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2008 CLS63 AMG
DO IT!!
Old 01-29-2010, 11:00 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
2011 GLK 350, 2013 GT-R, & 2013 RAM 1500
Holy Thread Resurrection!

I might as well post some data -> https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w...2010-c63s.html
Old 01-29-2010, 11:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'15 VW GTI
Picking up the car w/ K1 from the dealer next sat! Got the vredestein winter tires as well.
Old 02-01-2010, 11:27 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
W211 E500 Estate
Originally Posted by miami1lt
Yeah, just got mine back from Kleemann and they definitely opened the ECU up (and did a sloppy job, along the lines of what BoxK's looks like...I'll post pics soon). Anyway, I haven't run it yet, and as long as it runs good, I'm happy...but I was surprised, I would have thought just plugging in leads and doing a program would work. I had my STi ECU tuned, and it was all done via port in the car, and didn't need opened. I don't think this is standard practice.

Almost every ECU that is flashed via the ECU outside the car needs to be opened. A grounding wire needs to be in contact with a certain point on the ECU that not only grounds the ECU when the programmer is turned on to keep it from getting shocked but also to put the ECU into read/write mode. With out putting the ECU into read/write mode the ECU will not give out or accept new information with the cables just connected. They are sealed with a very strong adhesive which I can say from personal experience with flashing ECU's here at GMP it can be difficult to work with. A special tool is used to pry open the cover just enough so you can stick a blade in between to cut the "rubbery sealant". This tool as tip like a screw driver thats bent at a 90 degree angle and its metal so its almost impossible not to leave any markings around the edges.
Old 02-01-2010, 11:34 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'09 C63 AMG, '10 ML350 4Matic
Originally Posted by GMP - MATTHEW
Almost every ECU that is flashed via the ECU outside the car needs to be opened. A grounding wire needs to be in contact with a certain point on the ECU that not only grounds the ECU when the programmer is turned on to keep it from getting shocked but also to put the ECU into read/write mode. With out putting the ECU into read/write mode the ECU will not give out or accept new information with the cables just connected. They are sealed with a very strong adhesive which I can say from personal experience with flashing ECU's here at GMP it can be difficult to work with. A special tool is used to pry open the cover just enough so you can stick a blade in between to cut the "rubbery sealant". This tool as tip like a screw driver thats bent at a 90 degree angle and its metal so its almost impossible not to leave any markings around the edges.
That's cool...I didn't know that, and appreciate the great explanation. The bending to open didn't bother me as much as the rubbey sealant that was left dangling out of the side...but I'm sure it isn't easy to work in there.

The great news is the car moves like hell...I'm impressed with the work that was done...can't wait to get it on the dyno...have to wait a week because we spent this weekend getting my wife her ML350...had to make her happy first, and reciprocate on my K1 investment
Old 02-01-2010, 11:40 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
W211 E500 Estate
no worries glad I could help. I will try to take some pictures of the next one we do