Sponsored by:

Car in front block your way

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-08-2009, 09:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
09 C63 K2
Car in front block your way

The car in front of you is driving slowly on the left lane (fastest lane) and not enough space at the right for you to pass. There are no cars in front of him and he could give you a way.
How do you indicate “get out of my way”? Any other options than driving closer?

If you finally passed him through the right lane, do you:
- thankful for the opportunity to play with your car
- teach him by cutting him off or braking on his lane

In Canada or US, compare with Europe, there is no rule to move to right lane if it is free. There is suggestion only, but nobody will give a ticket for it.
Old 05-08-2009, 09:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 177 Likes on 128 Posts
2018 GLC300 4Matic; 2005 C55; 2003 360 Modena
The most polite way is the left turn signal.

Hopefully they move, but there are no shortages of left laners playing speed control in the US. I've yet to come across and honest explanation for why people like the left lane. My favorites are those who drive in the left lane (slow, of course) until their exit. Then it's a mad dash to move across lanes of traffic to make it.

To be fair, the respect of the left lane in Germany has degraded over the last 10 years.
Old 05-08-2009, 09:57 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yes
I say get one of these from http://www.leftlanedrivers.org

Old 05-08-2009, 10:07 AM

2010 C63
Flashing the high beams usually - but not always - works. Depends on how brain dead they are. Interestingly, I have found this works much better in a Mercedes (esp. a black one) than in a Honda or other 'normal' car.

And once they do move over, trying to "teach him" or cutting him off is childish and could result in them calling the cops to complain about a reckless driver that happens to have your tag number.
Old 05-08-2009, 01:51 PM

09 C63 K2
Originally Posted by ATL_MB
And once they do move over, trying to "teach him" or cutting him off is childish and could result in them calling the cops to complain about a reckless driver that happens to have your tag number.
If someone puts his car on cruse control and never look behind and does not care about people waiting to pass.
I do lane change from time to time close to that car as an indication that it is not nice.
Sometime I am so pissed off, that just want him to be in your position and shut that cruse control down and look around.
Old 05-08-2009, 05:14 PM

'14 CLA 45
Originally Posted by kjb55
The most polite way is the left turn signal.

Hopefully they move, but there are no shortages of left laners playing speed control in the US. I've yet to come across and honest explanation for why people like the left lane. My favorites are those who drive in the left lane (slow, of course) until their exit. Then it's a mad dash to move across lanes of traffic to make it.

To be fair, the respect of the left lane in Germany has degraded over the last 10 years.
I do not know on what Autobahn you drive when visiting Germany, but I never have problems with people blocking the left lane if traffic is light and allows for higher speeds than 130km/h.
Old 05-08-2009, 06:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
335i e90 / C63 / R6
those are nice decal for people who don't know how to use the road.
Old 05-08-2009, 06:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

08 S65, 06 M3 CS(stick), 02 BMW X5 4.6iS, 07 R1 Raven, 08 F-450 4x4, 08 CooperS JCW
left-lane hoggers are a major PITA but don't cut them off...just pass them at wot and deafen them...

-Rob
Old 05-09-2009, 11:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2017 BMW X5M DG/AB
When will Vkam make a thread about "the car behind is following at exactly the right distance"?
Old 05-10-2009, 12:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Car Whore
If they are being jerks and won't move over, then I will definitely screw with them as I pass. The worst someone can do is brake check me when I'm in the fast lane and in a rush or a bad mood.
Today a lady wouldn't move over, and hit the brake once when I got close to check out clearances.
As soon as she did that, I broke really hard and shot around the back of the car in the next lane, gunned it around both that car and her car and jumped back 2 lanes into her lane right in front of her and slammed on my brakes.
She tried switching lanes and I switched with her, braking even harder.

There were a bunch of people (random cars) who had been following me for a while as we cruised nicely and the few people that were in the fast lane got out of the way. They were stuck behind her with me and when I did that, they all had to brake too obviously, and by the time I had gunned it way forward, they were passing her and I saw them throwing fingers at the lady as they passed her.

People need to ****ing respect the lane rules that everyone should be taught before getting their DL.
In CA, you can even get a ticket for impeding the flow of traffic - EVEN IF you are going to the speed limit, but other cars are going above it!

So, if you want to go slow, play with yourself on the right side of the freeway.
Also, if you are sitting in the HOV lane but going the SAME speed or SLOWER as the public freeway, GET THE FLYING F*CK OFF THE HOV LANE!

Last edited by Fantasm; 05-10-2009 at 12:07 AM.
Old 05-10-2009, 12:05 AM

'09 C63 AMG, '06 CTS-V
Right after he posts "car on the side is going the same speed"
Old 05-10-2009, 12:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2017 BMW X5M DG/AB
Originally Posted by thwalkerjr
Right after he posts "car on the side is going the same speed"
Old 05-10-2009, 12:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Car Whore
Originally Posted by vkam
In Canada or US, compare with Europe, there is no rule to move to right lane if it is free. There is suggestion only, but nobody will give a ticket for it.
In Europe, a lot of people do cooperate with traffic lane etiquette. They will move over when they see you coming back from behind, or see your right hand turn signal or high beams.

The most important thing people need to do though is PAY ATTENTION. The majority of the problem causers are because they are doping off at the wheel.
Day dreaming and not paying attention. When you are DRIVING A CAR, a multi-thousand pound piece of equipment, you need to be awake at ALL times for ANY possible consequence as well as road etiquette to promote good traffic flow.
Old 05-10-2009, 12:16 AM

09' C63 AMG
Originally Posted by Fantasm
If they are being jerks and won't move over, then I will definitely screw with them as I pass. The worst someone can do is brake check me when I'm in the fast lane and in a rush or a bad mood.
Today a lady wouldn't move over, and hit the brake once when I got close to check out clearances.
As soon as she did that, I broke really hard and shot around the back of the car in the next lane, gunned it around both that car and her car and jumped back 2 lanes into her lane right in front of her and slammed on my brakes.

There were a bunch of people (random cars) who had been following me for a while as we cruised nicely and the few people that were in the fast lane got out of the way. They were stuck behind her with me and when I did that, they all had to brake too obviously, and by the time I had gunned it way forward, they were passing her and I saw them throwing fingers at the lady as they passed her.

People need to ****ing respect the lane rules that everyone should be taught before getting their DL.
In CA, you can even get a ticket for impeding the flow of traffic - EVEN IF you are going to the speed limit, but other cars are going above it!

So, if you want to go slow, play with yourself on the right side of the freeway.
Also, if you are sitting in the HOV lane but going the SAME speed or SLOWER as the public freeway, GET THE FLYING F*CK OFF THE HOV LANE!
+1

LOL, I like your style.
Old 05-10-2009, 12:58 AM

2006 Audi 2.0T A4 Avant, 2007 BMW Z4 3.0si Roadster
The most important thing people need to do though is PAY ATTENTION. The majority of the problem causers are because they are doping off at the wheel.
Day dreaming and not paying attention. When you are DRIVING A CAR, a multi-thousand pound piece of equipment, you need to be awake at ALL times for ANY possible consequence as well as road etiquette to promote good traffic flow.
I strongly agree. A lot of people don't pay any attention when they are driving. Especially the ones that talk on phone while driving.
Old 05-10-2009, 01:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2017 BMW X5M DG/AB
Originally Posted by DaGS1800
+1

LOL, I like your style.
Why talk when you can text?
Old 05-10-2009, 09:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts
96 and 08 911 turbos

This is very dangerous and stupid.

1. you have far better brakes than the vast majority of cars on the road. Do you think her camry is going to stop in time? maybe?

2. When you get rearended, if there are witnesses saying you drove like a *****, you might be getting the ticket.

3. While left lane bandits annoy the ever loving hell out of me, doing this kind of garbage will not change their ways.

I typically give them the left turn signal. That never works. Then I move to headlight flashing. When that doesn't work, I"ll pass on the right, get even with them, give them something of a stare, shake my head, and pass them.

Either they are in their own world or they just don't care.
Old 05-10-2009, 10:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
06 C55, 09 E350
I rarely see people get out of the way in CA I normally just rush around them cut them off and turn on the right hand signal. This works more often than turning on the left signal. As long as they get the point I am happy and hopefully they will pay attention in the future. I wouldn't slam on the brakes you could end up causing them to swerve and cause an accident. After all I don't want to hurt them if they are being complete idiots and driving 50 in the fast lane holding up traffic I will cut them off and stick my arm out the window and point to the other lane. Now someone make this thread useful and make it a chain email somehow. None of these people are going to be found in the AMG forum
Old 05-10-2009, 11:26 AM
Almost a Member!

AMG sedans and an M 2+2 car
Originally Posted by Oliverk
This is very dangerous and stupid.

1. you have far better brakes than the vast majority of cars on the road. Do you think her camry is going to stop in time? maybe?

2. When you get rearended, if there are witnesses saying you drove like a *****, you might be getting the ticket.

3. While left lane bandits annoy the ever loving hell out of me, doing this kind of garbage will not change their ways.

I typically give them the left turn signal. That never works. Then I move to headlight flashing. When that doesn't work, I"ll pass on the right, get even with them, give them something of a stare, shake my head, and pass them.

Either they are in their own world or they just don't care.
For #2, I sorta disagree. Because if you get rear-ended it 99.999999999% not your fault.

Even if we include the chances of witnesses getting on the side of the dumbass road hogger, driving like a ***** doesn't mean she cannot follow a safe following distance. But you have to be directly in front of her... not when you're filtering in halfway and get banged; these are 50/50 cases.

P.S Having big AMG brakes doesn't mean you get rear-ended and it'll be your fault... for stopping better than the car behind you.
Old 05-10-2009, 11:51 AM
Administrator

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
MPG+ ROLFCOPTER
In Europe, a lot of people do cooperate with traffic lane etiquette. They will move over when they see you coming back from behind, or see your right hand turn signal or high beams.

Get it right. The etiquette is actually left turn signal, not right. High beam flashing, while still practised, is frowned upon.
Old 05-10-2009, 11:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts
96 and 08 911 turbos
Originally Posted by maffie
For #2, I sorta disagree. Because if you get rear-ended it 99.999999999% not your fault.

Even if we include the chances of witnesses getting on the side of the dumbass road hogger, driving like a ***** doesn't mean she cannot follow a safe following distance. But you have to be directly in front of her... not when you're filtering in halfway and get banged; these are 50/50 cases.

P.S Having big AMG brakes doesn't mean you get rear-ended and it'll be your fault... for stopping better than the car behind you.
IF you cut someone off and then jump on the brakes hard for no reason, I'm reasonably sure you could be cited for reckless driving
Old 05-10-2009, 01:51 PM

Volvo C30 R-design, CL63 AMG
Originally Posted by Oliverk
IF you cut someone off and then jump on the brakes hard for no reason, I'm reasonably sure you could be cited for reckless driving

not entirely true in California and especially in L.A because it doesn't matter what you do here, whoever hits you from behind is usually the one stuck with the ticket and fixing the damage. don't ask why its just like that here.
Old 05-10-2009, 02:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Car Whore
Originally Posted by amdeutsch

Get it right. The etiquette is actually left turn signal, not right. High beam flashing, while still practised, is frowned upon.
Meant to say left, was typing too fast and thinking about them moving to the right.
Old 05-10-2009, 03:52 PM

GS300
Few years ago i had the same thing happen to me. I was heading home on the highway on early sunday morning. The highway was not busy as it was very early in the morning. A regular pontiac was in the right lane, i gave him a head light, but he wouldn't change lanes. I got stuck behind him as there were cars on the left lane. He started to drive very slow and then brake. It wasn't enough he was going slow to begin with...but he started to go even slower....until i was almost driving 60 km/h on the right lane in a 4 lane highway. I lost my temper...passed him on the right shoulder of the highway.
next thing i see in my mirror...his lights started flashing...he was a cop. I pulled over, but i was so upset...i might have looked like those cartoons with steam coming out of my ears. comes up and asks me for my licence. i snaped at him..."who the **** you think you are? do you think you own this highway? didn't you take a driver's licence test? dont you know what the minimum speed limit on the hightway? you were going 80km/h on the right lane...thats the minimum speed on a highway not on a passing lane". he gave me the licence back after exchanging some words and fingers...
i thought i was going to get fried or atleast a ticket..but i guess my temper gave him something to think about.
Old 05-11-2009, 06:32 AM
Almost a Member!

AMG sedans and an M 2+2 car
Originally Posted by Ludatwix70
not entirely true in California and especially in L.A because it doesn't matter what you do here, whoever hits you from behind is usually the one stuck with the ticket and fixing the damage. don't ask why its just like that here.
Bingo!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Car in front block your way