Checked out the new CTS-V and...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-15-2009, 02:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'09 C63 AMG, '06 CTS-V
Checked out the new CTS-V and...

... not that impressed.

Don't get me wrong, the car looks OK and the performance numbers are great on paper.

But the reality is that it is made by GM. This car is destined for the service bay.

I have a first generation CTS-V (2006) and that damn thing has been nothing but problems. That means THREE years after making the car they still somehow managed to turn out lemons.

Given the new V is a total redesign - I would say there is a high probability that problems will arise. It's just a matter of time.

Anyway, going down to see and test drive it just confirmed one thing for me... I made the right choice in September 2008.

AMG All Day, Every Day!!!
Old 05-15-2009, 02:07 AM

a g
Tit for Tat. Both are expensive to repair, but fortunately for the GM it is generally cheaper than the Benz. Nonetheless, both are indeed nice vehicles, and if cared for properly should hold up just fine either way. Cadillac quality of late is impeccable (so is all of GM for that matter) considering Buick won top JD Power Initial Quality honors this year. Glad you enjoy the C63 though, that surely is a beautiful offering from Benz!
Old 05-15-2009, 02:20 AM

'09 C63 AMG, '06 CTS-V
Thanks, Red.

Originally Posted by RedG
Cadillac quality of late is impeccable (so is all of GM for that matter) considering Buick won top JD Power Initial Quality honors this year.
Let's all hope this is indeed true. Although personally I would not give much to a JD Powers ranking.
Old 05-15-2009, 02:36 AM

a g
Originally Posted by thwalkerjr
Thanks, Red.
You are surely welcome...what color C63 if you don't mind the asking?

Let's all hope this is indeed true. Although personally I would not give much to a JD Powers ranking.
Much agreed on the scepticism of any type of survey's as well, I've seen first hand how reliable Buick's (or really any domestic) has actually been over the last decade plus. No car is really THAT much better than the next in terms of actual mechanicals. That doesn't discount the cheap, plasticky interiors on most domestics though, another reason to generally choose the Benz over the GM.
Old 05-15-2009, 03:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'09 C63
And the other downfall is analysts are saying that GM filing for bankruptcy is imminent
Old 05-15-2009, 06:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'15 E63S wagon
The CTSVs interior and initial quality are both subpar IMO for a car in that price class. The cheap laminate-looking CF interior panels, the fit & finish between the interior pieces...ugh. Just American through and through...ie, cheaply done. Merc & BMW kil Chevy/Ford in those categories alone.
Old 05-15-2009, 07:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
SLS Irridium silver,2014 GL350 BT Irridium, 2015 White Dodge RAM Hemi Quad
Funny enough, just a few days ago a good friend of mine picked up a pearl white CTS-V and I sat in it and took a good long look at the car, I think it looks like a plain jane cts with bigger tires, marginally bigger, its tail pipes might be slightly bigger, but overall the car doesnt jump out at me as this monster, I suppose if you like that understated look then great, but I would rather have the thing look like this supercar its supposed to be, the interior looks cheap and cheesy, the brakes look like nothing special etc. Really, you have to take a second and maybe third look to understand that it is a V series car, then, finally he launched the car as I stood outside and that was very very dissappointing, this car doesnt sound anything like our cars, no way even close, great the car is slightly faster than ours, but I would never ever have got that car even if it was available at the time when I purchased my C63.....it is a GM product, period, it looks nothing special and sounds nothing special, two very very important criteria for myself, even though it has a few tenths on us, yipee for the General and his piece of junk, very dissappointed and overhyped.
Old 05-15-2009, 07:45 AM

'05 F-250 HD
I'm in the market for a sports sedan. I've narrowed it down to the C63, CTS-V, and IS-F. Honestly, depending on what day of the week it is I change which one I want to purchase.

Each one of the cars I've narrowed it down to has items I like and dislike. The problem is I still can't seem to choose one. I've driven each one and enjoyed all three in different respects.
Old 05-15-2009, 08:32 AM

2009 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by Viper TT
I'm in the market for a sports sedan. I've narrowed it down to the C63, CTS-V, and IS-F. Honestly, depending on what day of the week it is I change which one I want to purchase.

Each one of the cars I've narrowed it down to has items I like and dislike. The problem is I still can't seem to choose one. I've driven each one and enjoyed all three in different respects.
You have broad interests my friend. Props to you for finding enough good in all 3 cars that you're having a tough time choosing. Not an enviable position. What made you rule out the M3? What about a used M5?
Old 05-15-2009, 08:45 AM

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
14 GL550; 14 E63s
Originally Posted by Viper TT

My decision was between the IS-F and the C63. CTSV was not in the picture. Obviously I went with the MB. The only thing I liked about the IS-F over the C was some of the technology (touchscreen nav, keyless entry, backup cam, parking aid, etc.). Plus it was a little cheaper than the MB at the time since it was a 2008 closeout. But I've been pleasantly surprised at the C's entertainment package although the navigation system, and any german system for that matter, is not as user friendly as the Lexus. But honestly how much do you use the nav system.
Old 05-15-2009, 09:11 AM

C63
omg, not this again...
Old 05-15-2009, 09:56 AM

'05 F-250 HD
Originally Posted by taylorcoleman
You have broad interests my friend. Props to you for finding enough good in all 3 cars that you're having a tough time choosing. Not an enviable position. What made you rule out the M3? What about a used M5?
Yes sir, I do.

I test drove the 09 M3 and just couldn't get comfortable in the seats. I played with the seat settings for some time and just couldn't find a setting that worked. I also didn't like the lack of low end torque.

As stated, I am fond of the IS-F's technology and overall seating comfort. The CTS-V is a brute power house. In my opinion, the C63 is somewhere in between the two with a great deal of power and comfort level in between the the CTS-V and IS-F.
Old 05-15-2009, 09:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

R8
Originally Posted by wuyichao
omg, not this again...
LOL

As long as the comments remain reasonably sensible and unbiased, like 1st AMG's, I'm sure it can be a constructive and mature discussion.
Old 05-15-2009, 10:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2009 c63, 2010 E63
omg, not this again...
hahaha i was thinking the same thing. The cts-v didn't even cross my mind when I was buying the c63. The body styling alone was enough to deter me. It looks like a old man's car on steroids.
Old 05-15-2009, 11:13 AM

C63 AMG
In less than 3 weeks I bought a C63 AMG and really love it - but its not a manual and it left me wanting..

Yesterday I traded in my old 06 CTSV for the new manual V

What a beast! I am now going to have to tune the C63 to keep upto it
It corners better (Magnetic ride control is amazing), out accelerates, better on fuel (for those who actually care), and is the ultimate sleeper!!

From my point of view, the fit & finish is far above and beyond any other GM vehicle I have ever been in & owned. As good or better than the C63.
I took it over to my local MB dealer and they were blown away, the whole staff came out to adore & go for rides

The V is far more bang for you buck as well over the 63.. all the same options/features + more for the same price

If GM was selling cars like this 2-3 years ago, they would never be in the trouble they are in now

Only problem I have now is which car to choose from the stable when I go somewhere! Will have to toss a coin or something

John
Old 05-15-2009, 12:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2007 C230 and 1985 Monte SS
Originally Posted by thwalkerjr
... not that impressed.

Don't get me wrong, the car looks OK and the performance numbers are great on paper.

But the reality is that it is made by GM. This car is destined for the service bay.

I have a first generation CTS-V (2006) and that damn thing has been nothing but problems. That means THREE years after making the car they still somehow managed to turn out lemons.

Given the new V is a total redesign - I would say there is a high probability that problems will arise. It's just a matter of time.

Anyway, going down to see and test drive it just confirmed one thing for me... I made the right choice in September 2008.

AMG All Day, Every Day!!!
So you test drove it and you can tell that it's going to be in the shop? lol
Old 05-15-2009, 12:23 PM

^ Oh noesss you said the V was good,lol. Check out cadillacforums.com for updates on mods. I just picked up a 4in cai straight ss 1 piece. It was dyno'd and the increase was 30hp/30tq on the V. To say the air filter/setup on the stock V is bad is an understatement. Enjoy modding FI
Old 05-15-2009, 06:24 PM

2009 C63 K1
A friend of mine went from the M3 to a V two years ago and he has had nothing but problems with it and is still trying to get it declared a lemon. He regrets ever buying an American car and says he learned his lesson and will not make that mistake again. I certainly hope that GM has made improvements but from what I have read they continue to buy and use cheaper parts than either the Germans or the Japanese. It is not hard to make a car perform and look good when brand new. The question is will it last and I have no confidence that will be the case. I know that Mercedes quality definitely went downhill when they merged with Chrysler and now that they dumped them their quality is much better. Bottom line is until American car manufacturers drastically change it will be the same old story. BTW, Buick was getting JD Power awards ten years ago and we see how well those cars held up over time.
Old 05-15-2009, 07:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts
C63 AMG
I too went and looked at one the other day after seeing the first one on the road a couple days back. Nice looking car. The power is nice, but its no AMG. I'd like to take it for a test drive but I doubt they will let me.
Old 05-15-2009, 08:07 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

E350 Sport & Rs6
I had a CTSV Track car back in 05-06. I beat the crap out of it and blew the rear, like everyone has. They have some issues that are VERY expensive to fix...Enough said. That car has a love/hate relationship with every owner, the connection is amazing!

I have yet to drive the New V but I know what they can do. I observe the CTSV threads quite often waiting for something to break! I am REALLY waiting for someone to find the LSA's MAX! Everyday I read Mbworld.org threads, It makes me want an MB that much more....

It's killing me inside! I was driving a S550 all day and I love the interior of the Newer CL/S classes. I guess it's safe to say that I will probley own a MB sometime soon! It's just a matter of which one? C63 or ClkBlk? I am the guy who buys and sells cars every year, I have a problem.

Lets all watch the CTSV prices in the next couple of months. I bought my 05, which was 9 months old at the time with a 12k discount!!! You can't beat that...Now a days, It's buyers market, not a sellers market!!!!

I think the C63 is a beast and the CTSV is right there but still different cars....

Here's a vid of my old V:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIwdtK84XHE
Old 05-15-2009, 08:47 PM

09' C63 AMG
omg, not this again...
LOL

NO COMMENT

Let just hope ERICPD doesnt jump on this thread....
Old 05-15-2009, 09:24 PM

a g
Originally Posted by 1st amg
Funny enough, just a few days ago a good friend of mine picked up a pearl white CTS-V and I sat in it and took a good long look at the car, I think it looks like a plain jane cts with bigger tires, marginally bigger, its tail pipes might be slightly bigger, but overall the car doesnt jump out at me as this monster, I suppose if you like that understated look then great, but I would rather have the thing look like this supercar its supposed to be, the interior looks cheap and cheesy, the brakes look like nothing special etc. Really, you have to take a second and maybe third look to understand that it is a V series car, then, finally he launched the car as I stood outside and that was very very dissappointing, this car doesnt sound anything like our cars, no way even close, great the car is slightly faster than ours, but I would never ever have got that car even if it was available at the time when I purchased my C63.....it is a GM product, period, it looks nothing special and sounds nothing special, two very very important criteria for myself, even though it has a few tenths on us, yipee for the General and his piece of junk, very dissappointed and overhyped.
Much is the case with eh E55 and the other E-series Mercedes Benz automobiles. The only real visual difference is quad exhaust tips, and marginally flared body lines. Even the C63 doesn't look all that different from the C350 sports package vehicles.
Old 05-16-2009, 02:15 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
'08 C63 AMG (turned in for lease)
The CTS wasn't out when i got my 63, but I wish it had, would of been fun to drive both cars and make a decision. I love the 550 hp stock, but I'm also not sure how fond I am of the exterior, it seems bland. Just don't give me a feeling of "something special" when I see it.
Old 05-16-2009, 07:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
SLS Irridium silver,2014 GL350 BT Irridium, 2015 White Dodge RAM Hemi Quad
Originally Posted by RedG
Much is the case with eh E55 and the other E-series Mercedes Benz automobiles. The only real visual difference is quad exhaust tips, and marginally flared body lines. Even the C63 doesn't look all that different from the C350 sports package vehicles.
Not sure how so, the C63 is the only AMG ever built that they actually widened the track of the car, the front end is extended by about four inches, this car was the only car out of the AMG factory where they actually modified it susbstantially, all the other AMG vehicles have had everything bolted on, such as engine, tires, exhaust, suspension, wheels, interior bits etc. So, even if you had c350 sport and changed the exhaust, added a rear diffuser, put on the AMG wheels to try to look like a C63, you still havent widened the track by about 2 inches, and lengthened the front end.
Old 05-16-2009, 09:37 AM

I bought an ugly old man ride

[/QUOTE]

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Checked out the new CTS-V and...