Sponsored by:

Checked out the new CTS-V and...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-18-2009, 11:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 C32 AMG & 2009 CTS-V
Originally Posted by GBlansten
Except the 1983 Corvette. That was the greatest American car ever made. Way better than the CTS-V.
You sound like you musta fell and bumped your head!

Last edited by ericpd; 05-18-2009 at 11:14 PM.
Old 05-18-2009, 11:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2017 BMW X5M DG/AB
Originally Posted by ericpd
You sound like you fell and bumped your head!
You're killing me.
Old 05-18-2009, 11:39 PM

Originally Posted by yaymitch
Quite a reach there...
Not really,... almost every anti-CTS-V comment in here to date is based on that very premise. The 09 CTS-V is crap because the 05 CTS-V had problems,... the 09 CTS-V is crap because of the Caddy Camera,... the CTS-V is crap because my 1971 Pinto died the very day I mailed my last payment,... and on and on and on.

Truth of the matter is the 09 CTS-V has more out of common with the regular CTS than the C63 has with the regular C-Class sedan. And that's especially true when it comes to the drive train. For example, both the manual AND automatic trans are different between the two cars. With the C-Class Benz, you get the same 7speed auto no matter what you buy. In addition to having a wider front track like the C63, the V also sports a different suspension both front and back. Aside from the wider track, the Benz stops at stiffer springs and larger sway bars,... that's it. There is substantial added chassis and body bracing added to the V that the normal CTS lacks,... this is the reason the fold down rear seat option is missing from the V. The added body bracing leaves no room for the hole to the trunk, so why design the seats to fold? The cross members up front to support components for the 'all wheel drive' option is 86'd on the V to lose weight. All other CTS's have these cross members whether or not the AWD option was added. The Chassis setup on the C 4Matic is identical to the Chassis on the C63. Oh yeah,... don't let me forget the diff,... that's completely different too! There's more, but I think there's a character limit here.
Old 05-19-2009, 12:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

R8
What is there to argue about, people? The C63 outsells the CTS-V by so wide a margin it's almost pointless to speak of them in the same breath.

Cadillac has done a commendable job in building a high performance sedan, but it'll never be serious competition for AMGs, M3s and M5s, RS4s and RS6s because serious performance car buyers simply do not gravitate toward the Cadillac brand. No offense intended to those of you who've bought one, but it'll take decades for Cadillac to establish a meaningful racing pedigree to go with the performance capabilities that the car promises.

It's a similar challenge faced by Lexus with its IS F.
Old 05-19-2009, 12:52 AM

09' C63 AMG
Originally Posted by SebringSilver
What is there to argue about, people? The C63 outsells the CTS-V by so wide a margin it's almost pointless to speak of them in the same breath.

Cadillac has done a commendable job in building a high performance sedan, but it'll never be serious competition for AMGs, M3s and M5s, RS4s and RS6s because serious performance car buyers simply do not gravitate toward the Cadillac brand. No offense intended to those of you who've bought one, but it'll take decades for Cadillac to establish a meaningful racing pedigree to go with the performance capabilities that the car promises.

+1

That is simply the bottom line, regardless of the fact that the CTS-V might beat the C63 by an inch it still does have that superior persona over the AMG's even the M5 which it's also supposedly faster than. I do not know a single person who would really prefer the V series over an M5 if they were the same price or had the choice of picking one for free... People simply purchase the V because they cannot afford the M5 or the AMG's they wish they could have... Technically the CTS-V isn’t even in the same class as the C63, yet caddy owners love to compare their car to it because it makes them feel better inside rather than comparing it to its true competitors (M5 & new E63) which may not be superior in speed but all the features they claim they bought the V series for over the C63 are all present in the M5 and E63 plus many more.

The C63 is a car with an amazing engine yet for a great price, so of course it will not have all the luxuries of its bigger siblings. So comparing the CTS-V to the C63 is not an equal comparison because the C63 lacks features the other true competitors in the V-series class would have. However even though it’s not an even comparison the C63 is still superior over the V-series IMO even with its disadvantage in its lack of features. Just because they are similar in price does not mean they are equal to compare or in the same class just because they are both sedans. An MB AMG and a Caddy in the same class will NEVER be similar in price. That alone is proof of the uneven comparison.

Even with decades to come I highly doubt Cadillac will establish that racing pedigree which you speak of, such as the one AMG's and BMW M's posses. Although they have raised the bar of their performance capabilities, there is still something missing, let’s not argue about petty details I am just stating a general point...
Old 05-19-2009, 02:32 AM

Originally Posted by SebringSilver

Now that I agree with 110% Cadillac has got a long haul before them in that respect before they can share the stage equally with those brands. No one can dispute that. At the moment,... they do lack the pedigree.

But then again,... not entirely. Cadillac does have a long and some would argue sorted history of circuit racing,... both here in North America and in Europe. But their on again, off again commitment to the sport probably has had a greater impact on their lack of pedigree than any other single factor. Resurrection I think, is a more accurate way to put it. Nonetheless,... you are correct! Nice post.

Last edited by ericpd; 05-19-2009 at 09:18 AM.
Old 05-19-2009, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by DaGS1800
+1

That is simply the bottom line, regardless of the fact that the CTS-V might beat the C63 by an inch it still does have that superior persona over the AMG's even the M5 which it's also supposedly faster than. I do not know a single person who would really prefer the V series over an M5 if they were the same price or had the choice of picking one for free... People simply purchase the V because they cannot afford the M5 or the AMG's they wish they could have... Technically the CTS-V isn’t even in the same class as the C63, yet caddy owners love to compare their car to it because it makes them feel better inside rather than comparing it to its true competitors (M5 & new E63) which may not be superior in speed but all the features they claim they bought the V series for over the C63 are all present in the M5 and E63 plus many more.

The C63 is a car with an amazing engine yet for a great price, so of course it will not have all the luxuries of its bigger siblings. So comparing the CTS-V to the C63 is not an equal comparison because the C63 lacks features the other true competitors in the V-series class would have. However even though it’s not an even comparison the C63 is still superior over the V-series IMO even with its disadvantage in its lack of features. Just because they are similar in price does not mean they are equal to compare or in the same class just because they are both sedans. An MB AMG and a Caddy in the same class will NEVER be similar in price. That alone is proof of the uneven comparison.

Even with decades to come I highly doubt Cadillac will establish that racing pedigree which you speak of, such as the one AMG's and BMW M's posses. Although they have raised the bar of their performance capabilities, there is still something missing, let’s not argue about petty details I am just stating a general point...
lol ok there buddy. I would have went with the c63 if it actually had a proper transmission. Call me old & stupid but I actually like driving a stickshift...strangely enough women seem to like it too. So in that sense which is more the old man car...the amg or the caddy
Old 05-19-2009, 11:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts
96 and 08 911 turbos
+1

The Caddy gives the space of an M5 with the handling of a C63, 100bhp more with better modding potential, a TRUE MANUAL Transmission, not some slushbox, similar interior quality (both are garbage), more features and options, and a similar sticker price.

If you forget all the branding aspects, there is no question what the superior vehicle is.
Old 05-19-2009, 11:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2009 c63, 2010 E63
Should have known this will happen.
Old 05-19-2009, 11:20 AM

2009 C63 K1
When GM goes bankrupt, let's see how much they put into continued development of the V-series Cadillacs. Wonder how that will affect resale value. The US government will back all the warranties though. It will be of similar value to the awesome 1-yr home warranties you get when you purchase a house.
Old 05-19-2009, 11:20 AM

^ doesn't it always happen. Its like having a liberal/conservative thread -lol
Old 05-19-2009, 11:25 AM

07' IS 350, 08' E550
Why can't we all just get along?

First the Fatboys break up now this. Sighhhh.....
Old 05-19-2009, 11:28 AM

+1

I don't think anyone has argued that the CTS-V is superior to the AMG and M offerings. The arguments have instead been in defense of it being labeled 'a pile of American made crap'. Part of what you say is true DaGS. I myself didn't even shop the E-Class AMG or the M5 because it was out of my price range. So I agree, the CTS-V is compared to the C63 not by linear dimensions and weight, but for price and power proximity to the C63. There is one other major reason,... the CTS-V is Caddy's smallest and hottest sedan, as is the C63 is to Mercedes and the M3 is to MBW. In that light alone, the comparison is a natural. So the question the enthusiasts ask themselves is, "Do I buy the smallest Caddy super sedan or the smallest Mercedes super sedan"? Then the realization hits. The smallest Caddy is actually a little bigger than the Baby Rockets from Benz and BMW. And if viewed from this angle over here, a step up in class even, closing quickly on the E-Class AMG and the 5 series M. "But I wanted a small super sedan, something quick and nimble. The added dimension and weight of the Caddy has got to bring with it a toll on performance as it does with the E63 and the M5 when compared to the C63 and M3. But no,... it doesn't. Not only is there no performance hit as a result of the added girth,... it says here the CTS-V outperforms both AMG's and both M's. It handles better than all four, it has more power than all four,... 0-60 in 3.9, WOW! Lemme read on,... new record at the Ring across all and any classes of production 4-door sedans. And when specifically matched up against the M5, it stomps the M5 in almost every category accept the subjective and hazy topic of "refinement". Amazing! And at the same price as a C-Class AMG? Which is the cheapest of the four Euro super sedans. I gotta drive this thing." And trust me,... after 2 hours behind the wheel of the CTS-V, it's hard to ignore. That's what this argument has been about,... the Caddy no longer being ignored, not that it's superior. But again,... you are correct. The price point is a major factor to the CTS-V being compared to the C63 and in some cases the M3. The cost of it having a bigger footprint and added weight is quickly outweighed by the CTS-V's suberb handling and massive reserves of power and torque over its linear competitors, the E63, CLS55/63 and the M5. It also enjoys this position over the smaller, and one would think, quicker and more nimble C63 and M3 as well. A definite plus on the side of the Caddy.

Yes, the C63 does have an amazing engine,... one of the best on the planet. It's also refreshing to see you finally admit to compromises Mercedes has applied to the C63 beyond the engine. Thanks! I've already agreed, a direct CTS-V to C63 comparison is not a completely fair one. No one has argued that it is. Only that a CTS-V can be had for about the same money, which means buyer are more likely to consider both,... that's it. As to whether the C63 is superior to the CTS-V,... that depends on the category discussed. Clearly it's not superior around the circuit, especially the Granddady of all circuit benchmarks, The Ring, or even in a straight line,... that's a certain and proven fact. I will concede however to it being superior in the category of pedigree,... but pedigree can't take you to the store or through the traps.

Know this,... in Europe, the CTS-V is more expensive than the E-Class AMG Take a moment and go figure!

I agree,... I have my doubts on Caddy reclaiming whatever pedigree they once had. However, you are correct,... they have dramatically raised the bar. Give them time, they just might find what's missing,... although I have my doubts about that too!

Last edited by ericpd; 05-19-2009 at 02:23 PM.
Old 05-19-2009, 11:53 AM

C63
Originally Posted by wuyichao
omg, not this again...
lol, what did i say?

the argument goes on forever... in the end, they are just cars and they will be worthless after a few years. you picked cts-v over other alternatives b/c of your reasons, and there are reasons why i chose c63 over cts-v. financial issue, family, work, life style etc... its not always about which car performances better than the other.

if you are not a professional race car driver, there is no point to compare which car is a 1/10 sec faster on a drag strip, ring time IMO. once you take your car to a road course, you will notice that YOUR driving skill>anything.
Old 05-19-2009, 01:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

96 and 08 911 turbos
When GM goes bankrupt, let's see how much they put into continued development of the V-series Cadillacs. Wonder how that will affect resale value. The US government will back all the warranties though. It will be of similar value to the awesome 1-yr home warranties you get when you purchase a house.
rotfl, did you really bring up resale value when comparing ANYTHING to an AMG mercedes. AMGs lose value so fast its startling.

and the warranty? seems chrysler warranties are still in effect and longer than 1 year.

reaching at straws here.
Old 05-19-2009, 02:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2009 c63, 2010 E63
Originally Posted by wuyichao

if you are not a professional race car driver, there is no point to compare which car is a 1/10 sec faster on a drag strip, ring time IMO. once you take your car to a road course, you will notice that YOUR driving skill>anything.
I was about to post this. It all boils down to your personal preference and how you are going to use the car.
Old 05-19-2009, 04:02 PM

2009 C63 K1
Originally Posted by Oliverk
rotfl, did you really bring up resale value when comparing ANYTHING to an AMG mercedes. AMGs lose value so fast its startling.

and the warranty? seems chrysler warranties are still in effect and longer than 1 year.

reaching at straws here.
Your response makes me laugh. You deserve a Chrysler. Maybe I should explain what I meant, so you'll understand it better. And, yes I did bring up resale value, even knowing the history of AMG resale values.

When the government starts backing warranties, here is what is likely to happen - 1) There will be no good techs because there will be no good compensation. 2) Try proving the issue is covered under warranty (the amount of red-tape you'll have to go through will be ridiculous). 3) Service centers will likely be less convenient and less cooperative (not to mention less productive) because there will be no margin or profit.

Do you own a house? Did you get a one-year warranty when you bought it? Did the company backing it up suck? (of course it did because there is no profit in those repairs) All they want is for no claims to be made and for you to renew with them after a year is up. Hopefully you never had to use your home warranty company. Anyway that was just my analogy. It had nothing to do with the length of the government backed car warranties.

Last edited by yaymitch; 05-19-2009 at 04:11 PM.
Old 05-19-2009, 04:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

96 and 08 911 turbos
Your response makes me laugh. You deserve a Chrysler. Maybe I should explain what I meant, so you'll understand it better. And, yes I did bring up resale value, even knowing the history of AMG resale values.

When the government starts backing warranties, here is what is likely to happen - 1) There will be no good techs because there will be no good compensation. 2) Try proving the issue is covered under warranty (the amount of red-tape you'll have to go through will be ridiculous). 3) Service centers will likely be less convenient and less cooperative (not to mention less productive) because there will be no margin or profit.

Do you own a house? Did you get a one-year warranty when you bought it? Did the company backing it up suck? (of course it did because there is no profit in those repairs) All they want is for you renew with them after a year is up. Hopefully you never had to use your home warranty company. Anyway that was just my analogy. It had nothing to do with the length of the government backed car warranties.
I don't own a home and therefore was unaware of your analogy in that area.

1. All the good techs work for mercedes benz anyway right? I'm sure cadillac will still find some decent techs and not all will go running out the door immediately anyway.

2. I doubt there will be a significant increase in redtape for warranty work as this would clearly extend the length of time under protection.

3. Not sure

Government ownership of car companies is a new phenomenon and as such, the waters are untested.

That said, I would have no worries about buying a new GM vehicle if I so desired.
Old 05-19-2009, 05:50 PM

2005 Porsche Cayenne Turbo
Quite a reach there...
Really? Look back at most of the negative comments and you'll notice that people typically say stuff like 'it's another American piece of crap.' That's like talking about VW and saying 'another German piece of crap.' VW is not typical of all German cars (as MB, BMW and Audi are far nicer) just like Cadillac is not typical of all American cars.

I honestly don't know why I bring up these counterpoints. I'm here b/c I prefer the C63 over the competition. Having owned a CTSV previously though, I just feel like I need to counter the ignorant comments about it.
Old 05-19-2009, 08:37 PM

Do you own a house? Did you get a one-year warranty when you bought it? Did the company backing it up suck? (of course it did because there is no profit in those repairs) All they want is for no claims to be made and for you to renew with them after a year is up. Hopefully you never had to use your home warranty company. Anyway that was just my analogy. It had nothing to do with the length of the government backed car warranties.
Well I don't know where you guys bought your homes, but I got a 10 year warranty with mine for the bulk of the workmanship and a select list of materials used and a 15 year warranty on the foundation. Maybe the standard varies depending on what part of the country we all live in.

Last edited by ericpd; 05-19-2009 at 09:13 PM.
Old 05-19-2009, 10:03 PM

2009 C63 K1
Originally Posted by ericpd
Well I don't know where you guys bought your homes, but I got a 10 year warranty with mine for the bulk of the workmanship and a select list of materials used and a 15 year warranty on the foundation. Maybe the standard varies depending on what part of the country we all live in.
Forget about the home warranty analogy, apparently it was a bad one.
Old 05-19-2009, 11:21 PM

09' C63 AMG
Originally Posted by Razorecko
lol ok there buddy. I would have went with the c63 if it actually had a proper transmission. Call me old & stupid but I actually like driving a stickshift...strangely enough women seem to like it too. So in that sense which is more the old man car...the amg or the caddy
LOL ok so you chose the caddy because its a manual tranny?? I could name about 10 other cars you could have gotten... If you buy your cars solely on the fact that it is a manual tranny than you really have to get your priorities straight.. O and btw real sport cars, such as Italian super cars (Ferrari, Lambo, etc.) ALL have paddle shifting, and some don’t even give you the option for a manual. So if you wanted to buy one of those cars I guess you would sh*t outa luck cause you couldn’t get a stick...
Old 05-19-2009, 11:21 PM

09' C63 AMG
Originally Posted by Oliverk
I don't own a home and therefore was unaware of your analogy in that area.

1. All the good techs work for mercedes benz anyway right? I'm sure cadillac will still find some decent techs and not all will go running out the door immediately anyway.

2. I doubt there will be a significant increase in redtape for warranty work as this would clearly extend the length of time under protection.

3. Not sure

Government ownership of car companies is a new phenomenon and as such, the waters are untested.

That said, I would have no worries about buying a new GM vehicle if I so desired.
You clearly have no idea what you're talking about.... Do you just make this crap up as you go??
Old 05-20-2009, 01:48 AM

LOL ok so you chose the caddy because its a manual tranny?? I could name about 10 other cars you could have gotten... If you buy your cars solely on the fact that it is a manual tranny than you really have to get your priorities straight.. O and btw real sport cars, such as Italian super cars (Ferrari, Lambo, etc.) ALL have paddle shifting, and some don’t even give you the option for a manual. So if you wanted to buy one of those cars I guess you would sh*t outa luck cause you couldn’t get a stick...
You've got to be kidding us. C'mon DaGS,... you oughta know better than that! I may have to re-evaluate my impression of you being a knowledgeable car enthusiast. True, those cars you named do have paddle shifters, but those paddles are sending shift instructions to manual transmissions not automatics with torque converters and planetary gears. Think SMG (Sequential Manual Gearbox),... something else MB doesn't seem to recognize the need to offer. There's a big difference between a manual transmission behind a multiple-clutch assembly and fitted with an electronic shifter operated from the steering wheel, and a regular old slush box fitted with paddle shifters designed to only give the driver the illusion of sequential manual up and down shifting. A HUGE difference. My aunt's Kia Sorento has nothing less than what the C63 sports,... only difference is she does her pseudo manual shifts using the same stick on the floor she normally uses to go from Park to Drive, while you do the same very thing with plastic paddles on your steering wheel. Many enthusiasts consider paddle shifters married to an automatic nothing more than a shameless marketing ploy. Hell, the Edsel did the same thing with buttons,... so did Desoto. However,... I did read somewhere that MB was experimenting with a box that replaces the torque converter with an oil filled clutch assembly, but whatever strides made with this strategy is totally neutralized by the continued use of internal planetary gears. The box still operates as an automatic,... and what's up with flooding a component with oil where friction is the primary objective. What's up wit dat?

I didn't hear Razor say he bought the V simply and ONLY because it offered a manual transmission. I heard him say something entirely different. As for me, the manual option offered on the CTS-V was only ONE FACTOR I considered in making my decision,... although an important factor, but still only one.

Do a little more reading before you set off making comments about what cars like the Ferrari and Lambo does, and does not have. And above all, make an effort to understand and fully grasp what you read. Comparing the paddle shifters on the C63 to the paddle shifters on those cars, even the paddle shifters on the less exotic M3, is nothing more than you screaming loudly to all of us here that you know not what you're talking about.

Last edited by ericpd; 05-20-2009 at 09:19 AM.
Old 05-20-2009, 02:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C63 AMG(sold), 2009 CL550, 2010 S550 Majestic Black, 2010 ML550, 2006 C230, 2009 Venza
CTS-V and IS-F= Nice try but not quite impressing...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Checked out the new CTS-V and...