C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: What is the value of a factory 518HP tune offered at the dealer?
It's worth up to $1500
41.89%
It's worth up to $2000
31.08%
It's worth up to $2500
14.86%
It's worth up to $3000
4.05%
It's worth up to $3500
2.70%
It's worth up to $4000
1.35%
It's worth up to $4500
0%
It's worth up to $5000
1.35%
It's worth up to $5500
0%
It's worth up to $6000
0%
I'd pay more than $6000
1.35%
I already have a tune, but I'd be willing to switch to a factory tune
1.35%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

If MBUSA/AMG offered a factory tune at the dealer, how much would you pay?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-25-2009, 08:11 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
What I like!
If MBUSA/AMG offered a factory tune at the dealer, how much would you pay?

BMW is on the verge of offering a factory ECU tune for the N54 3.0TT engine. Meaning you can get tuned at the dealer, get your HP and keep your warranty. It is supposedly only 26 crank HP, but I think that's very cool that BMW is offering it!

A lot of us want to tune our C63's, but for one reason or another, we're holding off.

For those who haven't done a tune yet, and, assuming that a dealer-offered tune backed with a full warranty by MBUSA would give you the 512-518 crank HP (the same offered on other 6.2l AMG's....)

What is the MAXIMUM you would pay for a factory tune offered at your dealer?

Please pick the highest dollar amount you would justify.

In other words, What's it worth to you to run a factory tune with full warranty?

Old 08-25-2009, 08:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C63
i'm not sure, i feel a little ripped off that the 11 model is going to come with 500. i think they should back load earlier models for free.
Old 08-25-2009, 09:53 PM

What I like!
Originally Posted by dmyrick
i'm not sure, i feel a little ripped off that the 11 model is going to come with 500. i think they should back load earlier models for free.

Where did you get confirmation of this? I haven't even heard the rumor yet.....
Old 08-25-2009, 10:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2013 Chevy 427 Torch Red
Several quotes posted here that the 2011 will have 500 -525 but the mct will be the C class hold back. This would be brilliant for MB: a certified M3 killer that doesn't make an E63 wasted money.
Old 08-25-2009, 10:26 PM

What I like!
Originally Posted by hhughes1
Several quotes posted here that the 2011 will have 500 -525 but the mct will be the C class hold back. This would be brilliant for MB: a certified M3 killer that doesn't make an E63 wasted money.

Interesting! Maybe that increases the possibility of a dealer tune for earlier cars? But, 2011 is still 2 model years away.... by that time my warranty will be almost up and I'll just go aftermarket with all the goodies then anyway!
Old 08-26-2009, 12:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Up to the price of a K1. Perhaps we should put this poll in the AMG Private Lounge?
Old 08-26-2009, 12:04 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C63
(I'm in Canada) About two months ago I asked my salesman to pass this very suggestion up the channels. He just blew me off and it was clear he would not look into it.
Anyway, I just got an "Ownership experience survey" in the mail so I am going to use the Mercedes Canada contact info to send this question.
Maybe if enough of us in N. America made a request it could happen.
Any other Canadians here willing to ask Mercedes about this?
How about all you Yanks?
How many N. American C63 owners are on this site?
Old 08-26-2009, 01:41 AM

What I like!
Originally Posted by Sincity
Up to the price of a K1. Perhaps we should put this poll in the AMG Private Lounge?
Originally Posted by Multispeed
Maybe if enough of us in N. America made a request it could happen.
We're thinking alike!

Tomorrow, Weds 8/26 is the "live chat" on Private Lounge -- it starts at 6pm Pacific. I won't be able to attend but it would be awesome if either of you wanted to bring it up.

The case I'd hoped to make was that as an enthusiast, I think it is great to see BMW stepping up and offering "BMW Performance" parts like intakes, short shifters, exhausts and now a tune for the N54. Installed at the dealer, warrantied, everybody wins.

No reason why MB/AMG couldn't do the same. There is money to be made for sure so hey, why not offer a line of performance parts? I really don't think it would "anger" the E and S class owners to offer dealer-installed power and accessories on the C. They bought their cars for other reasons and in the end, "we still have a C class" no matter how much power.

I can see it now -- intakes, ECU, exhaust... hmm what else?

I think a lot of us have money to spend on a tune, etc and are debating between the different tuners. The market exists, does MB want part of it?
Old 08-26-2009, 02:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W164 ML500,SMART For two,1994 C280(5speed manual) 1999 C230k station wagon
Originally Posted by Hans Delbruck
Interesting! Maybe that increases the possibility of a dealer tune for earlier cars? But, 2011 is still 2 model years away.... by that time my warranty will be almost up and I'll just go aftermarket with all the goodies then anyway!
Thats why I have been waiting to see what the MY2011 has to offer, which by the way is only around 12 months away I would like to have my C63 with over 500hp and a factory backed warranty which also equals longevity and years of fun.
Old 08-26-2009, 03:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
C63 AMG
I owned a 335i before and I can tell you that 26hp is nothing. You can obtain 26 hp by default by just doing a drop in air filter or a HFC or an increase of boost of 1 or 2 psi safely. 26hp now days on these engines is so easy to gain that paying that much for the dealer to make 26hp extra is simply absurd. Going from 910ct to 93oct could almost net you that much.
Old 08-26-2009, 03:43 AM

What I like!
Originally Posted by AMGC60-3
Thats why I have been waiting to see what the MY2011 has to offer, which by the way is only around 12 months away I would like to have my C63 with over 500hp and a factory backed warranty which also equals longevity and years of fun.
Good plan that is very soon and worth waiting for (and I suck at math)

Originally Posted by C63newdude
I owned a 335i before and I can tell you that 26hp is nothing. You can obtain 26 hp by default by just doing a drop in air filter or a HFC or an increase of boost of 1 or 2 psi safely. 26hp now days on these engines is so easy to gain that paying that much for the dealer to make 26hp extra is simply absurd. Going from 910ct to 93oct could almost net you that much.
26hp may be absurd and nothing to you (and we won't really know what the BMW factory tune offers until it's dyno'd) but I think we are talking about 2 different markets here.

There is definitely one market for people who want the most HP they can get, for competition or whatever reason, they just want to see what the car is capable of and they are gearheads who mod their cars. There are obviously excellent tuners already on the forum pushing the envelope for that kind of buyer, always raising the bar.

But I firmly believe there is another more conservative market (this is Mercedes Benz after all) that would be very happy with a decent tune that offers factory support, even if it sacrifices some uber-HP compared to the other tuners. I would venture to guess some of us would just like to keep their cars "pure MB/AMG" with MB/AMG parts. (notice the interest in SinCity's rest-of-world airbox sleuthing)

Old 08-26-2009, 06:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W164 ML500,SMART For two,1994 C280(5speed manual) 1999 C230k station wagon
AMG and MB left alot of room for improvement and "tweeking" for the C63 and I believe the C class facelift is also right around the corner as well and a C63 with over the 500 hp level from the factory would be a dream come true.
Old 08-26-2009, 06:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
SLS Irridium silver,2014 GL350 BT Irridium, 2015 White Dodge RAM Hemi Quad
I am definetely one on the fence as to a ECU upgrade at the moment, my dealer and other dealers here in my are in Canada are not mod friendly, if something goes wrong they seem like they would blame it on the ECU flash, so I am paranoid in doing this, otherwise, I guarantee that this K1 at the miniimum would have been done, probably even the K2. SO this may sound crazy, but for me, to have the MB dealer tune my ECU and warranty the car is worth lots of coin, I would pay 3k for this, I know some of you might think I am crazy, but to have that peice of mind, I would pay that....BTW, I am very happy that many of you have service advisers in your MB dealerships that are mod friendly, although I am a bit envious.
Old 08-26-2009, 03:51 PM

What I like!
Originally Posted by 1st amg
I am definetely one on the fence as to a ECU upgrade at the moment, my dealer and other dealers here in my are in Canada are not mod friendly, if something goes wrong they seem like they would blame it on the ECU flash, so I am paranoid in doing this, otherwise, I guarantee that this K1 at the miniimum would have been done, probably even the K2. SO this may sound crazy, but for me, to have the MB dealer tune my ECU and warranty the car is worth lots of coin, I would pay 3k for this, I know some of you might think I am crazy, but to have that peice of mind, I would pay that....BTW, I am very happy that many of you have service advisers in your MB dealerships that are mod friendly, although I am a bit envious.

+1, I'm in the same position as you. My dealer isn't mod friendly, otherwise it would have been done by now.
Old 08-26-2009, 04:32 PM

09 Eurocharged C63 AMG
Originally Posted by hhughes1

If MB wants to seriously bridge the gap in the smaller performance sedan category its CRITICAL they offer the MCT transmission ASAP. Considering that MCT is similar to SMG by BMW, which is already on to DCT, it would be a blunder not to offer this technology in the C63. I am almost positive I read somewhere the C63 is by far the best selling AMG produce currently (I'm sure price has some factor in that) so why handicap the product that is your "bread and butter". Honestly the transmission in this car is by far its biggest weakness when compared to the competition. So much of the competition is incorporating DCT's (Yes I know MB is doing it with the SLS) but that technology needs to be adapted across the AMG board, especially in the C63/E63 much quicker.

A factory tune would be a nice option however, I'm sure that would still cause a "riff" amongst the owners of the more expensive AMG's with the same engine. Also considering MB charged customers $1250 to raise the top-speed limiter to 175MPH you can only imagine they will be charging close to Renntech type prices and possibly more for their tune.
Old 08-26-2009, 11:56 PM

What I like!
SinCity -- thank you for posing the question to the US reps on the Private Lounge. I was very disappointed in their answer, because it is along the same lines of the answer I got from my dealer when I inquired about doing an aftermarket tune: "why do you want more power?"

It's not the answer an enthusiast would give. I thought MB was aiming to shake the "old fuddy duddy" image.

Maybe the engineers in Affalterbach think differently. I have faith -- they wouldn't design rowdy cars like this if they weren't enthusiasts. I'm visiting the AMG engine factory in about 10 days. I'm going to inquire there too. and when I pull up in my 135i that will soon have a factory tune, short shift kit and exhaust from "BMW Performance", I'll make my case FWIW.
Old 08-27-2009, 01:05 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
S600TT, R350
I have had some contact with AMG reps while doing MB sales at #2 and #3 dealers in US.

In my opinion it will not happen. Offering an upgrade to E/CLS levels goes against AMG marketing strategy. Unless they will make C63 BS, which has not been confirmed yet.

But I do not see them offering anything for cars that have been alredy sold.
Old 08-27-2009, 01:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'09 C63
I would have to say that the cost of it depends on how much the gains are. If it's worse than some of the other competitors out there then what's the point? For that warranty? If any case just have the factory reflash it and your warranty troubles are solved
Old 08-27-2009, 06:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SinCity -- thank you for posing the question to the US reps on the Private Lounge. I was very disappointed in their answer, because it is along the same lines of the answer I got from my dealer when I inquired about doing an aftermarket tune: "why do you want more power?"

It's not the answer an enthusiast would give. I thought MB was aiming to shake the "old fuddy duddy" image.

Maybe the engineers in Affalterbach think differently. I have faith -- they wouldn't design rowdy cars like this if they weren't enthusiasts. I'm visiting the AMG engine factory in about 10 days. I'm going to inquire there too. and when I pull up in my 135i that will soon have a factory tune, short shift kit and exhaust from "BMW Performance", I'll make my case FWIW.
Hans, while you have the opportunity to go the AMG engine factory, see if you can grab me a MCT tranny and stuff into your trunk....I'll pay for your whole trip
Old 08-28-2009, 12:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Here is what I have to say:
Old 08-28-2009, 02:36 AM

2009 MB C63 2007 MB ML63 2006 MB CLS 500 (wife)
If you are ready to spend 3k, you can buy a new ECU (from another dealer) and flash it with Kleemann K1. If you need to go to the dealer just pop the OEM ECU back in and you are set to go. The only issue is to take out your original ECU without any visible marks.
New ECU around $2k + Kleemann K1 $1.7k I know it doesn't add up to $3k, but gives you peace of mind, IMO.
Old 08-28-2009, 09:26 AM

C63 AMG
So0 guys for the 2011 models they would only tune the cars to 500hp+ only?? or would they change anything in the engine!! kuz if its only a tune then thats alright but if something that is goin to be changed then we are really getting Ripped off kuz im currently waiting for my 2010 model which is goin to come in december and if thats happening im gona have to talk to my dealer and cancel the order!! wat do u guys think even tho i cant wait for it to arrive!!
Old 08-28-2009, 05:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by -michael-
If you are ready to spend 3k, you can buy a new ECU (from another dealer) and flash it with Kleemann K1. If you need to go to the dealer just pop the OEM ECU back in and you are set to go. The only issue is to take out your original ECU without any visible marks.
New ECU around $2k + Kleemann K1 $1.7k I know it doesn't add up to $3k, but gives you peace of mind, IMO.
That is a great alternative, I will look into this, thanks, never thought of such a simple solution.....see, thats why I obsesively visit this forum daily.....my wife thinks I am obsessed with this car
Old 08-28-2009, 08:16 PM

What I like!
Hans, while you have the opportunity to go the AMG engine factory, see if you can grab me a MCT tranny and stuff into your trunk....I'll pay for your whole trip
For you.... anything!
Old 08-29-2009, 12:49 AM

2009 MB C63 2007 MB ML63 2006 MB CLS 500 (wife)
That is a great alternative, I will look into this, thanks, never thought of such a simple solution.....see, thats why I obsesively visit this forum daily.....my wife thinks I am obsessed with this car
My wife thinks just like yours