Sponsored by:

Tick tick tick after start up.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-28-2009, 10:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 SRT8 Charger, 09' C63
Tick tick tick after start up.

Right after I start my car I get a tick tick tick noise coming from under the hood. I popped the hood to hear and cant where its coming from. Sounds maybe like a belt touching or rubbing on something when in spin. IDK, Anybody get this. Thanks!
Old 08-28-2009, 10:42 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C63 AMG, BMW 135i
A ticking sound is not usually associated with belts, it's often more to do with the valve train. Check your oil level first in case it needs a top up. If it's ok, I'd head to a service centre and have it looked at.
Old 08-28-2009, 11:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts
Anything W/4Wheels
It's normal don't worrie. After u warm her up she will return the favor
Old 08-29-2009, 12:07 AM

Originally Posted by mthis
It's normal don't worrie. After u warm her up she will return the favor

LOL what do you mean
Old 08-29-2009, 12:12 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2009 MB C63 2007 MB ML63 2006 MB CLS 500 (wife)
Hey Boris! Try to check you oil level. I know that you have been pushing it hard lately Maybe you need to top it up!
Old 08-29-2009, 01:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts
Anything W/4Wheels
Originally Posted by REDSRT
[/B]

LOL what do you mean
the ticking happens, after you drive you car it goes away.

i think it has alot to do with when you car is low on oil. the dip stick wont tell you the truth it always tell me its perfect and then boom 2-3 days later the oil light comes on. and so does the ticking when cold starting the car.

btw if you ever hear a whisling sound bring your car to stealership asap. i was racing around one night and then all the sudden the next day i wake up and turn my car on i hear a whisling so i start driving normal. when i get to work its gone. then the next day im stuck on the side of the road ON A SUNDAY! my belt snapped and broke a a/c hose, long storie short big mess. and you can tell if this happens to you by the steering wheel getting stupid tight. and car over heating, (dont let the cooloing temp go over 240 or else you zinged.

Last edited by mthis; 08-29-2009 at 01:16 AM.
Old 08-29-2009, 10:37 AM

2009 C63
Also to note, is that the longer the car sits between start ups the more likely you will get this sound.
I had it checked out by the service tech and said it was normal at start-up and should go away after a few minutes.... he also compared with 2 other C63's (because I was not convinced with his explanation...LOL) that were in for service the same week.... all did the same.
Ensuring that oil levels are topped up helps as well...

Trending Topics

Old 08-29-2009, 12:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts
96 and 08 911 turbos
this is typically associated with the hydraulic timing chain tensioners bleeding down after the car sits. The oil runs out of them, and it takes a little bit for them to get pumped up again after a cold start. Same goes for the lash adjusters, but both should pump up within about 15 to 20 seconds, at the very most.
Old 08-29-2009, 02:28 PM
Dk1

2010 C63 / 2009 GL450
Just picked up my car today and heard the same ticking noise after start up. I asked MB tech about it and he indicated that this is normal during cold start up. I would not worry.
Old 08-29-2009, 09:59 PM

Walked in the garage today and saw oil on the floor, right underneath the car on the right hand side. Looked under and pan is all oily. So thats why maybe I've been getting the tick tick tick sounds. Anyway hope its something simple, gasket, hose, etc. hope its not the tranny itself. Its saturday today so the service dep. is closed, will have to wait until monday to find out.
Old 08-30-2009, 06:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'09 C63
You sure it's not AC fluid?
You have read that everyone on this board gets that ticking sound right?
Old 08-30-2009, 07:15 PM

C63
Originally Posted by Jae Duk
You sure it's not AC fluid?
You have read that everyone on this board gets that ticking sound right?
i get no ticking sound after 4700 miles, cant be normal. take it in to be on the safe side
Old 08-30-2009, 08:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'09 C63
My proof:
https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w...ing-noise.html

https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w...se-engine.html

On top of that both my parents' cars have ticking noises
Old 08-30-2009, 10:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2011 GLK350, 2010 ML350, 2008 C63 AMG
It is a normal noise, it comes from the lifters. I didn't drive my car for 2 weeks and upon startup the ticking noise was loud. It was much louder than I had ever heard before. After the car warmed up, sound went away,
Old 08-31-2009, 01:14 PM

E63
I got Audio/Video of the ticking

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jckGD3w9Bus
Old 08-31-2009, 09:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
2009 C63
Mine went away probably around the 4-5k mark all together....knock on wood. If the car sits for days it will definitely come back probably.
Old 08-31-2009, 10:22 PM

You guys missed my post #10, the car is LEAKING OIL. Im going to take it to the dealer tommorrow, if work and schedule permits. I'll keep you guys posted.
Old 09-01-2009, 11:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2011 GLK350, 2010 ML350, 2008 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by tpick23
wow... mine was definitely not that loud and i had let my car sit for 2 weeks.
Old 01-25-2011, 05:07 PM

'10 C63 Steel Gray
OK. VERY IMPORTANT news regarding ticking/clicking engine noise on C63’s. I just dropped off my car at the dealer. They said they will get back to me tomorrow with the results of the inspection, however, I was given preliminary assumptions that I would love to share! As posted by many and reflected in numerous YouTube videos, the loud ticking/clicking sound is NOT NORMAL, especially if the frequency of the sound increases in relation to the accelerator, i.e. the more you press the gas pedal, the faster is the noise. If the noise is somewhat loud and annoying but the frequency DOES NOT increase by applying the accelerator, than in most cases it is the purge valve issue and is very easily fixed by a $70 part replacement. If the noise is high pitch, very noticeable and the frequency DOES increase when pushing the accelerator, then most likely it is the LIFTERS! Now, the lifters themselves might be the issue, or it could be as bad as an OIL PUMP that must be replaced. Hopefully, your cars are still under warranty, since that repair is very costly. My car makes noise only when it warms up, as opposed to some of you that have that problem only at the start-up, when the car is cold or has been sitting in a garage for a while. The assumption that during start-up the lifters are not yet filled with oil and that’s why they make noise does not work. In my case, the issue is that not enough pressure is created to adequately distribute oil from the oil pump into the lifters, which can cause permanent engine damage!!! Please take you cars to the dealer and have them look at the lifters if you are experiencing similar symptoms. I will keep you guys updated, as I hear more from the dealer tomorrow. Best of luck!

Here is how mine sounds via You Tube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nlTDoIP2Oo

Last edited by Boris_C63; 01-25-2011 at 05:13 PM. Reason: Adding a link
Old 01-25-2011, 05:45 PM
LZH
Banned

CLK 63 Black Series, 2009 S550, 2011 Range Rover Supercharged, BMW F800 GS Anniv Edition
Originally Posted by Boris_C63
OK. VERY IMPORTANT news regarding ticking/clicking engine noise on C63’s. I just dropped off my car at the dealer. They said they will get back to me tomorrow with the results of the inspection, however, I was given preliminary assumptions that I would love to share! As posted by many and reflected in numerous YouTube videos, the loud ticking/clicking sound is NOT NORMAL, especially if the frequency of the sound increases in relation to the accelerator, i.e. the more you press the gas pedal, the faster is the noise. If the noise is somewhat loud and annoying but the frequency DOES NOT increase by applying the accelerator, than in most cases it is the purge valve issue and is very easily fixed by a $70 part replacement. If the noise is high pitch, very noticeable and the frequency DOES increase when pushing the accelerator, then most likely it is the LIFTERS! Now, the lifters themselves might be the issue, or it could be as bad as an OIL PUMP that must be replaced. Hopefully, your cars are still under warranty, since that repair is very costly. My car makes noise only when it warms up, as opposed to some of you that have that problem only at the start-up, when the car is cold or has been sitting in a garage for a while. The assumption that during start-up the lifters are not yet filled with oil and that’s why they make noise does not work. In my case, the issue is that not enough pressure is created to adequately distribute oil from the oil pump into the lifters, which can cause permanent engine damage!!! Please take you cars to the dealer and have them look at the lifters if you are experiencing similar symptoms. I will keep you guys updated, as I hear more from the dealer tomorrow. Best of luck!

This has been reported by many owners and apparently the dealers all say thats its normal and causes no engine damage.

If your dealer does in fact replace something and/or find a problem, then that will set a precedent for others who have reported the same. My Black Series does it every once in a while too.

Please let us know what your dealer says.
Old 01-25-2011, 07:19 PM

2016 C450 (on order)
Called my dealer about this a while back and they said it was the purge value and that the sound is always there on start up but goes away after a few minutes- which is what it does. Not sure about the other explanations listed above but I am comfortable with the conclusion from the dealer.
Old 01-25-2011, 07:23 PM

08 E63, 07 RS4, 04 GT3, 10 LR4, 02 Pajero
Wo, that's a loud tick. Not normal and not healthy sounding if this continues after the car has warmed through.
Old 01-25-2011, 07:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
02 CLK 55 AMG,09 C63 loaded with P30
My C63 had this tick sound few times when the car sat for more than a week. After accumulated almost 20k miles- no more tick even when it sits for couple weeks. Its weird
Old 01-26-2011, 01:33 PM

'10 C63 Steel Gray
Thanks for replies, guys. So the latest word is: after checking my car, yesterday, the dealer said it were the "CAMSHAFT ADJUSTERS" that were making the noise, NOT the lifters, and definitely NOT the purge valve, so they ordered the replacement parts and the warranty DOES cover it. If your engine sounds like mine, the ticking gets faster as you apply the accelerator and the noise does NOT go away after the car warms up (my case) just go get it checked. My noise is NOT there 100% of the time, though. It starts when the car warms up, then stops for a while, and then comes back on. Off and On for the last 9 months since brand new. All I know is that I should have brought it in sooner and never listen to the dealer in the first place. Good Luck!
Old 04-12-2011, 03:24 PM

2011 C63 P31
Originally Posted by Boris_C63

Any additional updates on this? My car has made this exact noise twice so far (today and around 4 months ago). I have been driving it regularly the last two weeks, so it's not a result of sitting in the garage for 4-5 days like I had expected. I drove it about a mile at 9am, and then again at 11:45am when it started making that noise. It was very loud today (frequency changes with enging revs), and it went away after driving 3-4 miles.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Tick tick tick after start up.