Power Steering Blown

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-30-2009, 01:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Radio Flyer Big Flyer fully loaded with training wheels and NOS
Power Steering Blown

Hey guys,
So the other night i went out with a few cousins and family friends with 2 lambos, a ferrari, an sl65 amg black series, my c63 amg, a 911 turbo, m3, m5, and a spyker c8 and went nuts. We probably covered around 200 miles in maybe 2 hours. However, when we came back i noticed that when making a right hand turn from a red light that my steering wheel was incredibly hard to turn...and i also heard that dreaded "whirring" noise. However, once back at speeds over 10mph, you could barely feel it. So i let it sit for about an hour while we ate and when i came back to pull it out of the garage the problem was still there. So i called my MB tech around midnight and he came over and hooked it up to the STAR system and ran a full diagnostics but found no problem. So now they are going to do some pressure testing to see if the problem is with the pumps or racks. I am actually not pissed at not being able to drive the c63 since i just moved into college and will be using a different car but i am a little pissed that when i push this car hard, something broke. Hopefully they can see what the problem is. Just thought id share this with you guys.

also, i have a short video of my c63 taken by a friend on his cell phone for your enjoyment but i cannot post it on here since it is in an mp4 format. does anyone know how to fix this? (sorry im completely computer illiterate)
Old 08-30-2009, 02:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
2009 C63
you have an MB tech on call?
Old 08-30-2009, 05:19 PM

2010 C63
Of course he has a tech on call 24 hrs. - don't you?

This reminds me -- last week a few of my friends and I were tooling around town. We had a 288 GTO, a 250 California, a Gullwing SL, the first Bugatti to win Le Mans, a chopped Dodge coupe hand-built by the Dodge brothers' virgin daughters, and a one-off DeLorean modified with a flux capacitor and a Mr. Fusion among other things. We probably covered 400 miles (and 300 years) in about 20 minutes. Did I mention I'm extraordinarily rich? I am -- and I earned it all. My parents own 98 car dealerships, three bordelos and an oil well.

So when I got back home I noticed that the triple Weber's on my flying sleigh were no longer properly synchronized so I had Blitzen fly down an elf from the North Pole. Fortunately I have a $175,000 FACOM tool set in my garage so Donnor didn't have to bring down Santa's tool box (I don't know a 12 mm crows foot from a Sawzall, BTW). Anwyay, problem solved by 3 in the morning, but I don't understand why something breaks everytime I take my sleigh up to Mach 2.
Old 08-30-2009, 07:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2013 Chevy 427 Torch Red
Originally Posted by ATL_MB
Of course he has a tech on call 24 hrs. - don't you?

This reminds me -- last week a few of my friends and I were tooling around town. We had a 288 GTO, a 250 California, a Gullwing SL, the first Bugatti to win Le Mans, a chopped Dodge coupe hand-built by the Dodge brothers' virgin daughters, and a one-off DeLorean modified with a flux capacitor and a Mr. Fusion among other things. We probably covered 400 miles (and 300 years) in about 20 minutes. Did I mention I'm extraordinarily rich? I am -- and I earned it all. My parents own 98 car dealerships, three bordelos and an oil well.

So when I got back home I noticed that the triple Weber's on my flying sleigh were no longer properly synchronized so I had Blitzen fly down an elf from the North Pole. Fortunately I have a $175,000 FACOM tool set in my garage so Donnor didn't have to bring down Santa's tool box (I don't know a 12 mm crows foot from a Sawzall, BTW). Anwyay, problem solved by 3 in the morning, but I don't understand why something breaks everytime I take my sleigh up to Mach 2.
Old 08-30-2009, 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by chubbs032
you have an MB tech on call?
friend of the family so he helps us out whenever we need it
Old 08-30-2009, 09:04 PM

2010 C63
Originally Posted by C63 DTM AMG
That is how you treat your friends? Getting him to come to you to fix your car at midnight, even though you have a parking garage full of cars?
Old 08-30-2009, 09:09 PM

apparently so
Old 08-30-2009, 09:36 PM

can you translate that buddy?

and why all the flaming here? just thought id mention something that happened and how we had a blast but instead i get a bunch of kids who jump at everything someone says. if it doesnt have anything to do with the original post then dont put it. i am simply just sharing my experiences with fellow MB owners.
Old 08-31-2009, 12:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2009 MB C63 2007 MB ML63 2006 MB CLS 500 (wife)
Some BMW services work 24/7 in Russia. People find it much easier to bring their car for a night and pick it up in the morning (if it is minor work).
There is nothing bad if you are "friends" with a tech that works for a certified dealership. I knew a guy who worked as Service head manager at Autodom Moscow (one of the largest BMW dealers in Russia) I can't call him a friend, because I only called him when I needed my car to be fixed. He would set up an appointment in 5 minutes any time and if he was pulling a night shift I didn't even have to be schedualed, just come over and they fix it for me. Plus, he gave me special prices if I pay in cash without recept. No tax, half the labor/hour time (4 hours instead of 10), and employee discount (20% on parts). I wish I new someone in Mercedes dealership who would treat me like that. Sorry for OT

Good luck with your repair keep us updated
Old 08-31-2009, 04:12 AM

C63
i was drunk when i wrote that, sorry, i was way out of line.
Old 09-03-2009, 01:13 AM

Originally Posted by dmyrick
i was drunk when i wrote that, sorry, i was way out of line.
its alright...**** happens

by the way everyone, i did blow a pump so ill pick it back up this friday when i come back from college for the weekend
just still amazing how it managed to blow...would of thought it could lasted that night but then again everything has its limits ahaha
Old 09-03-2009, 02:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Porsche 991S, Cayenne S, 1972 BMW 3.0CS E9 Coupe

That sounds better than saying, "so I called my MB tech around midnight....."

If I was that friend I'd feel uncomfortable to be known as just your "tech."

That's what made it sound kind of pretentious to some people, I think. Makes more sense to just say, "so I called my friend who is also a MB tech to come help me."

(ps, a lot of people here come from backgrounds that are unique and interesting, you'd be surprised. So there's never any need to embellish anything.)

Cheers.
Old 09-03-2009, 08:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
See Sig
Hey guys,
So the other night i went out with a few cousins and family friends with 2 lambos, a ferrari, an sl65 amg black series, my c63 amg, a 911 turbo, m3, m5, and a spyker c8 and went nuts. We probably covered around 200 miles in maybe 2 hours. However, when we came back i noticed that when making a right hand turn from a red light that my steering wheel was incredibly hard to turn...and i also heard that dreaded "whirring" noise. However, once back at speeds over 10mph, you could barely feel it. So i let it sit for about an hour while we ate and when i came back to pull it out of the garage the problem was still there. So i called my MB tech around midnight and he came over and hooked it up to the STAR system and ran a full diagnostics but found no problem. So now they are going to do some pressure testing to see if the problem is with the pumps or racks. I am actually not pissed at not being able to drive the c63 since i just moved into college and will be using a different car but i am a little pissed that when i push this car hard, something broke. Hopefully they can see what the problem is. Just thought id share this with you guys.

also, i have a short video of my c63 taken by a friend on his cell phone for your enjoyment but i cannot post it on here since it is in an mp4 format. does anyone know how to fix this? (sorry im completely computer illiterate)

So you’re the poor kid in your group? Damn.. That’s like taking your girlfriend out to dinner with the Giants football team and trying to look cool. No wonder you blew her up.

Time for an upgrade if your going to be rolling around with most of those guys.
Old 09-03-2009, 10:50 AM

well that "group" is family and i really am a fan of the c63 so i thought it would be interesting to see how it holds up...and there was also an m3 and m5 which i hung with most the time and played around with
Old 09-03-2009, 11:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
See Sig
well that "group" is family and i really am a fan of the c63 so i thought it would be interesting to see how it holds up...and there was also an m3 and m5 which i hung with most the time and played around with
So your family drives around in Lambo's and Ferrari's and SL65 BE's?

Are you a Kennedy?
Old 09-12-2009, 03:57 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

C63 AMG Arctic w/ Stage 1 Tune, DoubleXX pipe, MCD-631X coming soon
So what happened, was the P/S bad??
Old 09-12-2009, 07:21 PM

yes the power steering was fixed. they had to ship in a pump and replaced it right away. Can anyone else say that they've had this happen as well? i think that mthis also just had a pump replaced because of doing burnouts/donuts as well. Also on another note, has anyone noticed that the plastic piece closest to the grill under the hood that houses the ducts for the intakes has had the rubber pieces fall off? i'll take a picture when i come back from school but the rubber seals were falling off so i had to glue them back on. I pointed this out to the manager and he ordered a new one for me no problem. Just wondering...
Old 09-12-2009, 07:29 PM

CLS55 AMG w/PP030
Question, do you usually turn the steering wheel all the way around until it basically comes to a stop when making slow speed turn or when backing up or do you stop right before it does. If you hit it, this is a big no no for power steerings. This could be the issue. My 2 cents.
Old 09-12-2009, 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by MAN1
Question, do you usually turn the steering wheel all the way around until it basically comes to a stop when making slow speed turn or when backing up or do you stop right before it does. If you hit it, this is a big no no for power steerings. This could be the issue. My 2 cents.
usually i stop right before because i never want to put that much stress on it but who knows i may have been so caught up in the fun of it and didnt even notice i was pulling too hard?
Old 09-13-2009, 12:44 PM

07' E350, 71' DATSUN 510
You wouldn't happen to have been doing donuts while you were going "nuts",
were you?
Old 09-13-2009, 12:46 PM

[QUOTE=OLDSCHOOLRICE;3714297]You wouldn't happen to have been doing donuts while you were going "nuts",
were you?[/QUOTE

Mostly burnouts but a few donuts as well
Old 09-13-2009, 03:02 PM

C63, SLK, F150
Old 09-13-2009, 03:21 PM

CLS55 AMG w/PP030
Found this link which might be helpful:
============================

Inspect for leaks, a damaged or worn pump pulley, and loose brackets. Typical leak points include the reservoir cap, reservoir-to-pump-body seal, shaft seal, bolts, fittings and hose connections. Test for leaks with the engine at normal operating temperature. Turn the steering wheel from stop to stop; that is left to right several times. The steering wheel should not be held in the extreme left or right position for more than a few seconds. Look for spurting fluid and wet spots. Power steering conditioners are often effective in stopping leaks for a time

http://www.ehow.com/how_2171189_care...-steering.html
Old 09-13-2009, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by MAN1
Found this link which might be helpful:
============================

Inspect for leaks, a damaged or worn pump pulley, and loose brackets. Typical leak points include the reservoir cap, reservoir-to-pump-body seal, shaft seal, bolts, fittings and hose connections. Test for leaks with the engine at normal operating temperature. Turn the steering wheel from stop to stop; that is left to right several times. The steering wheel should not be held in the extreme left or right position for more than a few seconds. Look for spurting fluid and wet spots. Power steering conditioners are often effective in stopping leaks for a time

http://www.ehow.com/how_2171189_care...-steering.html
thanks brother for this info...after i knew it was gone i put it up on the lift and checked to see if there were any leaks but couldnt find anything.
and i know that i dont keep it all the way in either direction...
maybe mthis can chime in on his experience?
Old 09-13-2009, 07:09 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

C63 AMG Arctic w/ Stage 1 Tune, DoubleXX pipe, MCD-631X coming soon
yes the power steering was fixed. they had to ship in a pump and replaced it right away. Can anyone else say that they've had this happen as well? i think that mthis also just had a pump replaced because of doing burnouts/donuts as well. Also on another note, has anyone noticed that the plastic piece closest to the grill under the hood that houses the ducts for the intakes has had the rubber pieces fall off? i'll take a picture when i come back from school but the rubber seals were falling off so i had to glue them back on. I pointed this out to the manager and he ordered a new one for me no problem. Just wondering...
hmmm.. I think a trip to the dealer might be in order for me.