Do M5/M6 owners hate M3 owners?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-10-2009, 11:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
R8
Do M5/M6 owners hate M3 owners?

I'm sure I'm not alone in having observed the condescending undertone in many of the postings by E-class, SL-class, and every other class of AMG owners toward the C63 bunch. Granted, some or possibly most of that is quite likely justified as there really are some seriously moronic threads on this forum (user names withheld mainly for self-preservation, LOL). But that's got me thinking....do BMW owners also have this series-based oneupmanship whereby 5-series and/or 6-series M owners also take to the online persecution of their lowly M3-owning brethren?

I know many M5 and M3 owners in real life, and while I seldom see this type of "better than thou" attitude when they meet up in person, I suspect that those M5 drivers are also secretly bashing the 3-series guys when they get in front of the computer.

It's quite amusing how this whole online supremacy dynamic works.
Old 09-11-2009, 01:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Starting another controversial thread, Sebring?
Old 09-11-2009, 02:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

05 C55
^^ Definitely a better topic than, "OEM WHEELS, I WANT", or "HOW DO I DO BURN-OUTS?!!?".
Old 09-11-2009, 03:22 AM

CLK 500(Gone), C63 FTW!
Originally Posted by 14cue
^^ Definitely a better topic than, "OEM WHEELS, I WANT", or "HOW DO I DO BURN-OUTS?!!?".
are you sure???!!
Old 09-11-2009, 03:47 AM

C63
lol. where does this supremacy come from????? cars are cheap here in the states and canada, get over it.
Old 09-11-2009, 04:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

R8
Originally Posted by wuyichao
lol. where does this supremacy come from????? cars are cheap here in the states and canada, get over it.
Beats me. I figure a lot of the people who bought C63s could just as well have bought something a little more expensive, which would automatically elevate them to the next higher echelon of the automotive-ownership hierarchy. But then they might still have the same level of intellect, so I'm not sure if that actually helps the individual or hurts the collective (the collective owners of that next higher-priced vehicle, that is).

Ah well, all the more food for thought. Happy contemplation!
Old 09-11-2009, 07:13 AM

2014 CTS-V (6spd, phantom grey), 2010 Cadillac Escalade ESV (black raven)
I'll comment...
I truly admire cars like the M3 (and its class, C63). They are a great combination of power and handling. That is why I frequent their forums. Who knows, maybe once my kids leave, I may consider getting one (as it stands now, I would pick the C63 over the M3).
The problem is (I'll speak for M5 owners here, lol) when you read some of the infantile, moronic, insipid postings, you wonder if we are from the same lineage? For example, there was a thread on the M3post about "hanging" with an F430. Idiotic posts such as "owning" cars that have in excess of 600hp, "they're jealous because I have a C63/M3", etc.
You will find that we (M5 owners) usually do not instigate the rhetoric, but rather respond to stupid comments.
It may have something to do with age. I'm sure the average M3/C63 owner is younger than the M5/E63 owner. As such the maturity level is probably age appropriate.
But it's all good. I consider it akin to arguing with your own, but God forbid should someone else criticize an M3 who is not from within the family. Then they get blasted...

Last edited by shchow; 09-11-2009 at 07:50 AM.
Old 09-11-2009, 09:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 561 Likes on 371 Posts
'19 E63S, ‘16 CLS63 RIP, '09 E63 Gone, '06 M5 Gone, '97 Supra TT Gone
We don't hate them. We get annoyed when they try to run us, or when they spout off with stupid crap. Generally, it's a younger crowd that buys these cars (M3/C63) and with that comes heaps of immaturity combined with too much power. That's a deadly combination and we've seen it several times both here and with the M3 crowd that often someone gets hurt or arrested.

There was a member, here, on the C63 forum, that not only committed an armed robbery, but rammed a police car and fled the scene. He then tried to pretend he was asleep while mommy's C63 sat smashed up in the driveway.
Old 09-11-2009, 10:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

R8
Originally Posted by shchow
I'll comment...
I truly admire cars like the M3 (and its class, C63). They are a great combination of power and handling. That is why I frequent their forums. Who knows, maybe once my kids leave, I may consider getting one (as it stands now, I would pick the C63 over the M3).
The problem is (I'll speak for M5 owners here, lol) when you read some of the infantile, moronic, insipid postings, you wonder if we are from the same lineage? For example, there was a thread on the M3post about "hanging" with an F430. Idiotic posts such as "owning" cars that have in excess of 600hp, "they're jealous because I have a C63/M3", etc.
You will find that we (M5 owners) usually do not instigate the rhetoric, but rather respond to stupid comments.
It may have something to do with age. I'm sure the average M3/C63 owner is younger than the M5/E63 owner. As such the maturity level is probably age appropriate.
But it's all good. I consider it akin to arguing with your own, but God forbid should someone else criticize an M3 who is not from within the family. Then they get blasted...
Good post. I reckon one of the more interesting subplots in this comparison between C63 vs. E55/63 owners and M3 vs. M5 owners is that the M3 owners would, in most cases, eagerly trade up for the M5, as it carries a much bigger wow factor and is an obviously superior car. I'm not sure that the C63 owners would be quite as ready to give up their entry-level AMG for the E-class variety even though the alternative probably IS the faster car.

But maybe I'm mistaken.
Old 09-11-2009, 10:27 AM

2010 C63, 2002 Corvette Z06
Maybe I can chime in here from another different angle. I'm a 'young' guy - 30 years old - and I encounter this all the time with my other car, a corvette Z06.

Basically, it's like this. Many corvette owners are 'older' guys, 45+.. they look down upon the 'young' 'vette owners because they feel they haven't earned the 'right' to own a corvette.

This is a classic baby boomer response. Most baby boomers grew up in modest households with hard-working parents. These values were instilled in the children - baby boomers learned from their parents that life is hard, and you have to slave away for 25 years and work like mad at a job you hate and make sacrifices.. and only then have you earned the right to have nice things.

So it burns some 55 year old guy's *** when a 25 year old kid gets something that he worked his whole life for, even though the 25 year old may have worked just as hard but made more money in less time.

Oh there's also the 'Dad' complex - this is where the "older, more experienced" owners wag their finger at the young guys and tell them how they are going to kill themselves because they can't handle the power. They sit around on the message board just waiting for a young guy to say that they crashed their car.. or that there was some fatal accident involving a young driver so they can say "I told you so".

I think this is the same thing going on in the E63 / SLXX vs. C63 scene.. I mean an SL is an old bald guy car.. and it gets under their skin when a 30 year old 'punk' drives an AMG too (maybe he's also bitter that he dropped 180k on his ride and a C63 is 1/3 the price.)

Last edited by Interwebz; 09-11-2009 at 10:31 AM.
Old 09-11-2009, 10:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

R8
Originally Posted by Cylinder Head
We don't hate them. We get annoyed when they try to run us, or when they spout off with stupid crap. Generally, it's a younger crowd that buys these cars (M3/C63) and with that comes heaps of immaturity combined with too much power. That's a deadly combination and we've seen it several times both here and with the M3 crowd that often someone gets hurt or arrested.

There was a member, here, on the C63 forum, that not only committed an armed robbery, but rammed a police car and fled the scene. He then tried to pretend he was asleep while mommy's C63 sat smashed up in the driveway.
Wow, was that posted on the boards? I missed that...damn! But yeah, you really can't judge the driver based on the car he/she drives. There are idiots and criminals behind the wheel of all kinds of cars.
Old 09-11-2009, 10:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2009 c63, 2010 E63
Good observations.

A good question is, do you guys notice C63 owners looking/talking down on C300/350 owners? hmmmmm
Old 09-11-2009, 10:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'09 C63 AMG

FWIW, there are a ton of modded MB E55's and BMW M5's (many heavily modded), typically driven by older guys who can afford such machines. True there are many "younger" guys (some even teens) driving around in $60k+ sports cars and some are very immature indeed, but there are also some of us "older" guys driving in these (C63 AMG, M3, etc.) cars as well. At the end of the day, we are all just 'kids playing with our toys.'

Over the past several years, I've met several "younger" guys (many are 17+ years younger than me) who drive around in their very expensive sports cars...yes, some are spoiled brats with no understanding of the value of money and hard work, while others actually work hard to pay for these things themselves (or at the very least, actually appreciate what they are given ).

btw -- that criminal you're describing was just that...a criminal, whether young or old; his age doesn't matter.
Old 09-11-2009, 10:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

R8
Originally Posted by Interwebz
Maybe I can chime in here from another different angle. I'm a 'young' guy - 30 years old - and I encounter this all the time with my other car, a corvette Z06.

Basically, it's like this. Many corvette owners are 'older' guys, 45+.. they look down upon the 'young' 'vette owners because they feel they haven't earned the 'right' to own a corvette.

This is a classic baby boomer response. Most baby boomers grew up in modest households with hard-working parents. These values were instilled in the children - baby boomers learned from their parents that life is hard, and you have to slave away for 25 years and work like mad at a job you hate and make sacrifices.. and only then have you earned the right to have nice things.

So it burns some 55 year old guy's *** when a 25 year old kid gets something that he worked his whole life for, even though the 25 year old may have worked just as hard but made more money in less time.

Oh there's also the 'Dad' complex - this is where the "older, more experienced" owners wag their finger at the young guys and tell them how they are going to kill themselves because they can't handle the power. They sit around on the message board just waiting for a young guy to say that they crashed their car.. or that there was some fatal accident involving a young driver so they can say "I told you so".

I think this is the same thing going on in the E63 / SLXX vs. C63 scene.. I mean an SL is an old bald guy car.. and it gets under their skin when a 30 year old 'punk' drives an AMG too (maybe he's also bitter that he dropped 180k on his ride and a C63 is 1/3 the price.)
You probably have a point there. And the funny thing is that at 30, you really aren't that "young" compared to the highschool-aged folks who are being seen at the wheel of mom and dad's C63 (note Cylinder Head's post above). Maybe it really shouldn't come as a surprise the level of thread topics we see in this part of MBWorld.

Anyway, I think you do make a good point.
Old 09-11-2009, 10:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

R8
Originally Posted by bushburninc63
Good observations.

A good question is, do you guys notice C63 owners looking/talking down on C300/350 owners? hmmmmm
Most definitely, but I don't believe the people who have responded to this thread so far have been guilty of that.
Old 09-11-2009, 10:42 AM

2010 C63, 2002 Corvette Z06
Originally Posted by SebringSilver
You probably have a point there. And the funny thing is that at 30, you really aren't that "young" compared to the highschool-aged folks who are being seen at the wheel of mom and dad's C63 (note Cylinder Head's post above). Maybe it really shouldn't come as a surprise the level of thread topics we see in this part of MBWorld.

Anyway, I think you do make a good point.
And I hope everyone takes some humour from my post.. tongue planted firmly in cheek. Not every old guy driving an E class, SL or a corvette is a crusty old Dad.. You can still be over 40 and cool
Old 09-11-2009, 10:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

08 S65, 06 M3 CS(stick), 02 BMW X5 4.6iS, 07 R1 Raven, 08 F-450 4x4, 08 CooperS JCW
Originally Posted by SebringSilver
Good post. I reckon one of the more interesting subplots in this comparison between C63 vs. E55/63 owners and M3 vs. M5 owners is that the M3 owners would, in most cases, eagerly trade up for the M5, as it carries a much bigger wow factor and is an obviously superior car. I'm not sure that the C63 owners would be quite as ready to give up their entry-level AMG for the E-class variety even though the alternative probably IS the faster car.

But maybe I'm mistaken.
I don't include myself in this but your post is a good one. Can't think of any one or two car owners who would rather have the 3 than the 5. The 5 is more space, luxury, speed and handling is very very close....I'm planning a lotto win so I can add one as without it the wife will have my head off...
Old 09-11-2009, 11:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
a durr
I find it entertaining that young people hasn't responded to this thread yet
Old 09-11-2009, 11:35 AM

C63 AMG
Originally Posted by transferred
I don't include myself in this but your post is a good one. Can't think of any one or two car owners who would rather have the 3 than the 5. The 5 is more space, luxury, speed and handling is very very close....I'm planning a lotto win so I can add one as without it the wife will have my head off...
kinda agree you on this one

I think the main thing is that C63 gets the full size engine from the big brothers and can be easily tuned to make the same power. Even with 50hp less just because its light it will still be just as fast as the bigger cars.(ok maybe not after 200kph but lets not go there)

M cars on the other hand really seperate the market with different size engine. 4liter for M3 and 5l for m5. In the near future a twin turbo 550hp~~ vs 420hp m3.

Therfore in M car cases theres more opportunity for m5 owners to look down at M3 owners. However personally i think most M5 owners are old and rich enough to be not sitting in front of a computer screen bashing younger m3 drivers even old m3 drivers in some cases.
Old 09-11-2009, 11:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

R8
Originally Posted by yooker
I find it entertaining that young people hasn't responded to this thread yet
Except you.
Old 09-11-2009, 11:51 AM
JM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
W204
I had the choice of C63, M3, GT3 or a GT-R

In the end i decided to choose the C63 because the M3 was a little underpowered compared to the C63 and the GT3 because I am at 200 pounds and they are not the comfortable.... and the GT-R... i didnt feel like getting a Japanese Car for that price (not because I dont like Japanese car, but rather If you put the c63 beside the GT-R and someone who doesnt know anything about cars they would think the Mercedes is better)

But yeah

I always get strange looks when someone with a GT-R, E63 or those cars thinking they are BETTER than me, but I always go wtf... even when I drive my ML, i see a nice AMG or M, i look at them, those owners ( teenager ) give me the dirtiest look like Psh you wish you can have something like this...... And I always think... sorry i didnt drive my AMG and Im driving a normal car...
Old 09-11-2009, 12:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 561 Likes on 371 Posts
'19 E63S, ‘16 CLS63 RIP, '09 E63 Gone, '06 M5 Gone, '97 Supra TT Gone
Originally Posted by MikeS54
kinda agree you on this one

I think the main thing is that C63 gets the full size engine from the big brothers and can be easily tuned to make the same power. Even with 50hp less just because its light it will still be just as fast as the bigger cars.(ok maybe not after 200kph but lets not go there)

M cars on the other hand really seperate the market with different size engine. 4liter for M3 and 5l for m5. In the near future a twin turbo 550hp~~ vs 420hp m3.

Therfore in M car cases theres more opportunity for m5 owners to look down at M3 owners. However personally i think most M5 owners are old and rich enough to be not sitting in front of a computer screen bashing younger m3 drivers even old m3 drivers in some cases.

I don't bash the M3 or look down on it at all. I LOVE that car. It's gorgeous and perfectly balanced. The problem is the douchetools behind the wheel (in some cases). I've been lucky enough not to have come across these guys, and in 99% of cases when I come up on one during my commute at triple digit speeds, they'll move out of the lane for me and give me a thumbs up.

I think AMG did themselves a disservice putting the 6.2 in the C63, because it made it in many ways more attractive than some of the more expensive AMG's. The handling is as close to a BMW ///M car that Merc has ever come. Boo for them, yay for you guys. Some simple software isn't going to stop performance minded individuals from extracting innate power from a motor. Now you've got guys in S63's and CL63's, which are BEAUTIFUL cars, getting smoked by their less expensive siblings. It causes dissent. Lots of it.

Last edited by Cylinder Head; 09-11-2009 at 12:28 PM.
Old 09-11-2009, 03:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'09 C63
Originally Posted by bushburninc63
Good observations.

Some do some don't
Old 09-11-2009, 04:27 PM

2007 Corvette Z06/2011 BMW M3
I don't bash the M3 or look down on it at all. I LOVE that car. It's gorgeous and perfectly balanced. The problem is the douchetools behind the wheel (in some cases). I've been lucky enough not to have come across these guys, and in 99% of cases when I come up on one during my commute at triple digit speeds, they'll move out of the lane for me and give me a thumbs up.

I think AMG did themselves a disservice putting the 6.2 in the C63, because it made it in many ways more attractive than some of the more expensive AMG's. The handling is as close to a BMW ///M car that Merc has ever come. Boo for them, yay for you guys. Some simple software isn't going to stop performance minded individuals from extracting innate power from a motor. Now you've got guys in S63's and CL63's, which are BEAUTIFUL cars, getting smoked by their less expensive siblings. It causes dissent. Lots of it.
Old 09-11-2009, 04:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2017 BMW X5M DG/AB
I'm laid back. I don't really get into this model oriented drama. I like my car. It's fun to drive. I'm glad I got it. I don't want a larger sedan. I came out of a SLK 350 with 6MT. I'd rather kid around on here any day and hopefully laugh a little than be unpleasant and angry with any of you. It's just a car board.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Do M5/M6 owners hate M3 owners?