Sponsored by:

Delimiter-Opening the Throttle Body at WOT

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-11-2009, 02:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'09 C63 Performance Package - Steel Grey/Sahara Biege
Delimiter-Opening the Throttle Body at WOT

Thought you guys might appreciate a topic to kick around…see if we can spark some creativity.

As I become increasingly annoyed knowing that our throttle bodies don’t open up at Wide Open Throttle, I was wondering how one would mechanically or electronically delimit our cars without touching the ECU. Granted there are probably timing and fuel curves that should be adjusted, but just for kicks I was trying to figure out a way to just get that Throttle Body opened.

The old days would have been simply adjusting the throttle linkage on the carburetor. I know for OBDII cars there are O2 sensor simulators which keep your CELs off and keep you out of “limp mode” after you take off the cats. Evidently, it’s just a plug that you replace your o2 sensor with that sends the “correct” signal back to the ECU…even though it’s faking it.

Anyone have any ideas how would we get our road queens to “fake it” and open up her intake so we can really stretch out her legs?
Old 09-11-2009, 04:48 PM

2009 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by clktoc63
Anyone have any ideas how would we get our road queens to “fake it” and open up her intake so we can really stretch out her legs?
Was your entire post just a setup for this line? Either way, hilarious.
Old 09-11-2009, 05:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2009 c63, 2010 E63
Well if you can figure it out, give me a pm. :o
Old 09-11-2009, 06:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C63, SLK, F150
tie a string to it and yank it
Old 09-11-2009, 06:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts
Anything W/4Wheels
Originally Posted by pmknapp
tie a string to it and yank it
Old 09-11-2009, 07:38 PM

'09 C63 Performance Package - Steel Grey/Sahara Biege
Ha ha, that wasn't a set-up...just a little inuendo to keep the real question interesting.

Seems like such a simple thing could open up serious horsepower at almost no expense. I want to reach in and just open 'er up myself. There's gotta be a way.

(Let me beat the next guy to it: "try buying her flowers.")
Old 09-11-2009, 07:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C63, SLK, F150
I am by far no expert on tunes but in my opinion, no you can not opent the throttles up because the engine would not know what to do with the extra air and gas in the system. That is what the mapping is about to advance the timing some to compensate for that extra fuel (load) dumped in her. even if you wanted to open her up and streatch her legs, she would still just fuddle and grown and not know what to do with the load you just put in her so she woudl just bog down and maybe run to rich and after all that she would be the one smoking, not you. I have thought about it, btu I know it would not work, nice try for extra HP, but to me the bigest bang is to cool the air into the engine, colder air increases HP maybe not by much but would increase it some. So maybe Ram air her an then streatch her legs and see what she has.
Old 09-11-2009, 08:10 PM

C63
Originally Posted by pmknapp
I am by far no expert on tunes but in my opinion, no you can not opent the throttles up because the engine would not know what to do with the extra air and gas in the system. That is what the mapping is about to advance the timing some to compensate for that extra fuel (load) dumped in her. even if you wanted to open her up and streatch her legs, she would still just fuddle and grown and not know what to do with the load you just put in her so she woudl just bog down and maybe run to rich and after all that she would be the one smoking, not you. I have thought about it, btu I know it would not work, nice try for extra HP, but to me the bigest bang is to cool the air into the engine, colder air increases HP maybe not by much but would increase it some. So maybe Ram air her an then streatch her legs and see what she has.
I had a girl friend that worked exactly the same way