Sponsored by:

Resonator Delete Pros and Cons

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-19-2009, 12:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Black '09 C63
Resonator Delete Pros and Cons

I have a new '09 C63 100% stock (for now) and I LOVE the exhuast, its obviously one of the car's strongest points. But i was wondering if i were to just remove the resonators on the stock exhaust, exactly what it would do (both sound wise and long term effect). I guess what im trying to say what are they pros and cons and would you or would you not suggest going through with it?
Old 10-19-2009, 07:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2009 040 Black C63, 2009 Arctic White G55, 2012 Storm Red CLS550 4Matic
i have the same question of the secondary cat delete. what are the pros and cons? are there any power gains or is there power loss?
Old 10-19-2009, 08:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
C63 AMG
From what I read the exhaust on the C63 is a tune exhaust meaning that it has been bench tested(in a dyno or something) to not produce drone but still be quiet at iddle and throathy at WOT.

You need to be carefull because you might not like the drone. The drone typically occurs in the lower rpms and it might become unbareable during long trip becauase in the top gear is where you normally get the drone.
Old 10-19-2009, 08:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
2014 Audi RS7
Do NOT remove the resonator unless you install an "X" pipe. The resonator has a built in equalizer cross over pipe. They are a straight through design and keep drone from inside the car. They do not slow down or interrupt the flow.

I would recommend removing the secondary cats if you are just looking for more sound. You will pick up a little power but not enough to feel. Removing the secondary cats will make it significantly louder. Good luck!
Old 10-19-2009, 11:43 PM

C63
I have both 2nd cat/reso removed and replaced with straight pipes with no x-pipe. There is no drone and its extremely loud.
Old 10-20-2009, 01:00 AM

bike
There are some videos on youtube of a C63 with a resonator delete. Doesn't sound too good imo. The stock exhaust sound is perfect on this car.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1Sq83bbwgw
Old 10-20-2009, 02:05 AM

2009 C63, 2000 Nissan Maxima
heres mine w/ GTPro's x-pipe (2nd cat delete), and i left the resonator in place

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0C7KTFwv7D8
Old 10-20-2009, 08:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
2014 Audi RS7
You can remove the resonator if you want to but when you do you remove the equalizer pipe between the two banks(sides) and therefore potentially reduce power. I would add an "X" pipe if you plan to remove the resonator. You can take the cats off and increase the sound dramatically and performance to some degree.
Old 05-20-2014, 06:15 PM

2008 E63 AMG
Originally Posted by Dads C63
You can remove the resonator if you want to but when you do you remove the equalizer pipe between the two banks(sides) and therefore potentially reduce power. I would add an "X" pipe if you plan to remove the resonator. You can take the cats off and increase the sound dramatically and performance to some degree.
how much power do you end up losing if you lose any at all?
Old 05-21-2014, 03:12 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2009 c63
Originally Posted by petrovic
how much power do you end up losing if you lose any at all?
Yeah please let us know. I just got my resonator removed, and i think it sounds awesome especially on downshifts, thinking about the x pipe if there is some hp increase..
Old 05-21-2014, 05:47 PM

C63 P31
I also deleted my resonators and replaced with 2 straight pipes. The sound is almost identical but louder. You'll notice a lot more backfires especially in 2nd gear. Downshifts are much more aggresive, but most of all cold starts are incredibly loud. To a point where I worry about waking my neighbours when I start my car early in the morning or late at night. I've also noticed a lot more of that AMG gargle.

What Dadsc63 says is correct, and there will be a power loss roughly 1-10 hp I believe, but the loss is hardly noticeable and from what I've seen there isn't any dyno evidence to prove it at all. From personal experience the noise in the cabin is relatively louder but not to a point where it becomes annoying, and I've certainly not experienced any drone, and I believe a lot of people with resonator deletes can vouch for this.

Overall, I do recommend the resonator delete, the pros heavily outweigh the cons. Also keep in mind some shops, will refuse to do a secondary cat delete as it does conflict with emission laws (at least in Canada). Also lets keep in mind that the x-pipe should not have an advantage over straight-pipes or h-pipes unless the headers flow DIRECTLY into the x-pipe I believe.
Old 05-21-2014, 10:22 PM

2010 C63, 2014 E63
Originally Posted by Arthur3E92
I have both 2nd cat/reso removed and replaced with straight pipes with no x-pipe. There is no drone and its extremely loud.
i have the same exact set up. yes no drone. quiet when you want it quiet very loud if you want it loud. not really any gain or drop in power as well and ive had mine for about 2 years now no problem.
Old 05-21-2014, 11:44 PM

2011 MB C63 AMG. 2014 MUSTANG COVERTIBLE V6. 2010 MUSTANG CONVERTIBLE V6.
where can i get a straight pipe to replace my resonators?
Old 05-21-2014, 11:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 372 Likes on 186 Posts
C63 AMG
Go to your local reputable exhaust shop. Ask them to cut your resonator out and replace it with a Straight pipe.

It should look like this once they do it.

PS: I see your from Hawaii, Im sure there are a few places (even hot rod / restoration places) that can do it with ease for you.

Resonator Delete Pros and Cons-reso.jpg

Originally Posted by mikeyyyallday
where can i get a straight pipe to replace my resonators?
Old 05-22-2014, 01:44 AM

2008 E63 AMG
Originally Posted by CMC-63
I also deleted my resonators and replaced with 2 straight pipes. The sound is almost identical but louder. You'll notice a lot more backfires especially in 2nd gear. Downshifts are much more aggresive, but most of all cold starts are incredibly loud. To a point where I worry about waking my neighbours when I start my car early in the morning or late at night. I've also noticed a lot more of that AMG gargle.

What Dadsc63 says is correct, and there will be a power loss roughly 1-10 hp I believe, but the loss is hardly noticeable and from what I've seen there isn't any dyno evidence to prove it at all. From personal experience the noise in the cabin is relatively louder but not to a point where it becomes annoying, and I've certainly not experienced any drone, and I believe a lot of people with resonator deletes can vouch for this.

Overall, I do recommend the resonator delete, the pros heavily outweigh the cons. Also keep in mind some shops, will refuse to do a secondary cat delete as it does conflict with emission laws (at least in Canada). Also lets keep in mind that the x-pipe should not have an advantage over straight-pipes or h-pipes unless the headers flow DIRECTLY into the x-pipe I believe.
I have had mine done yesterday and love it, and so the horsepower you do lose is so small you wouldn't even notice it? After i had it done thats all i was worried about is if i had any hp lost. Some people were saying you could lose up to 45hp but thought that was little bit far fetched. I haven't really noticed a hp difference at all. I mean the cars are governed anyway so its not like the 10 percent horsepower lose would make any difference in the USA.
Old 05-22-2014, 02:13 AM

C63 P31
Originally Posted by petrovic
I have had mine done yesterday and love it, and so the horsepower you do lose is so small you wouldn't even notice it? After i had it done thats all i was worried about is if i had any hp lost. Some people were saying you could lose up to 45hp but thought that was little bit far fetched. I haven't really noticed a hp difference at all. I mean the cars are governed anyway so its not like the 10 percent horsepower lose would make any difference in the USA.
That would be ridiculous, I'm sure others can chime in, but the only reason you lose hp is due to a drop in back pressure from the delete, I highly doubt you can lose up to 45hp, thats pretty significant, and is implying the fact that the air flow through the resonator is attributing for a significant amount of power.
Old 05-22-2014, 02:42 AM

C63 P31
Would also like to add that the resonator delete if anything would influence torque and not hp. By deleting the resonator you are changing the stock airflow and essentially changing gas velocity and back pressure. It is all about keeping gas velocity high.

Too put it simply, long narrow pipes help improve gas velocity at low rpms, but short wide pipes are optimal for high rpms, so essentially you must choose between one or the other. (mind you there are pricey headers out there which can acheive both). By deleting our resonators and replacing with a straight pipe, we can argue that we are trading off low end torque, for a louder sound.
Old 05-22-2014, 10:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 AMG
You are correct, by removing the Resonators you do not lose any power, nor do you make any power. Removing the secondary cats will free up some extra ponies.

Go for reso delete / second cat delete guys. Its been done many times before with success.

That would be ridiculous, I'm sure others can chime in, but the only reason you lose hp is due to a drop in back pressure from the delete, I highly doubt you can lose up to 45hp, thats pretty significant, and is implying the fact that the air flow through the resonator is attributing for a significant amount of power.
Old 05-22-2014, 02:17 PM

I'm going to straight pipe my 2nd cats and resonators
The following users liked this post:
DropTopMan (03-12-2024)
Old 05-22-2014, 02:39 PM

what material should the straight pipe for resonator be made of?
Old 05-22-2014, 03:07 PM

C63 P31
Originally Posted by Kriston
You are correct, by removing the Resonators you do not lose any power, nor do you make any power. Removing the secondary cats will free up some extra ponies.

Go for reso delete / second cat delete guys. Its been done many times before with success.
By the way Kriston thanks for the recommendation to zoro muffler! Was unsure at first but work was a quick in and out and was good quality for a great price. But unfortunately they told me they wouldn't do a secondary cat delete; wanted to do both all at once .

And Mikey they're suppose to be stainless steel, make sure they arnt aluminum
Old 05-22-2014, 05:29 PM

2008 E63 AMG
Originally Posted by mikeyyyallday
what material should the straight pipe for resonator be made of?
they will just replace it with a regular pipe or at least thats what they did with me so it will just be another regular pipe.
Old 05-22-2014, 07:11 PM

dreams
pros: it's easy and cheap, also no drone at all. if there is, it can't be heard over road noises.

cons: IMO (others may disagree), the sound is too unrefined. there's a distinct snap and crackle (i guess people call this 'rasp?') at the top end that is a bit excessive. sounds like an angry trumpet going BLAHHHHHH-P!!!!!!

here are a few clips of my car when i had it (all stock). the parking garage clip is what drove me to buy a catback system.

angry farting trumpet (aggressive, maybe.. but too unrefined for my tastes):

so loud, it echoes off of trees! (maybe you fancy this)

now with an eisenmann race exhaust (loud but more controlled)

again, all subjective
Old 05-22-2014, 11:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 AMG
No problem,

But thats odd, did they say why they won't remove it?

By the way Kriston thanks for the recommendation to zoro muffler! Was unsure at first but work was a quick in and out and was good quality for a great price. But unfortunately they told me they wouldn't do a secondary cat delete; wanted to do both all at once .

And Mikey they're suppose to be stainless steel, make sure they arnt aluminum
Old 05-22-2014, 11:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 AMG
I just made the switch to an Eisenmann race setup on my car as well.

Having the reso delete is a great way to get a very aggressive sound, I personally enjoyed it.

The Eisenmann race setup is definitely a more deeper tone compared to the reso delete. I had my brother take it out for a boot around the block. Sounded like an angry grizzly bear. Had such a deep aggressive tone.

Now I'm thinking how the race setup will sound with a secondary cat delete??.

Originally Posted by dcho
pros: it's easy and cheap, also no drone at all. if there is, it can't be heard over road noises.

cons: IMO (others may disagree), the sound is too unrefined. there's a distinct snap and crackle (i guess people call this 'rasp?') at the top end that is a bit excessive. sounds like an angry trumpet going BLAHHHHHH-P!!!!!!

here are a few clips of my car when i had it (all stock). the parking garage clip is what drove me to buy a catback system.

angry farting trumpet (aggressive, maybe.. but too unrefined for my tastes):
Dcho - YouTube

so loud, it echoes off of trees! (maybe you fancy this)
C63 alarm clock - YouTube

now with an eisenmann race exhaust (loud but more controlled)
C63 Eisenmann Race Exhaust, for real - YouTube

again, all subjective

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Resonator Delete Pros and Cons