ECU Tune, the real discussion...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-18-2009, 01:40 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Whatever we're tuning!
Originally Posted by Brian GT PRO
The results are what they are, and I'm not tooting ANYONE's horn, I'm merely giving some information that I've found, to help light the way, I'm not in any way drawing conclusions about anyone's tune, only what the dyno is showing me.
Unbiased and extremely professional results!

Dyno numbers are just that.....numbers. They don't tell the whole story but do do give you some very interesting data.

Excellent, informative thread Brian!
Old 12-18-2009, 01:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 A8L, 2002 996TT X50, 2009 X5
Brian,

Interesting study, thank you for putting in the effort and look forward to seeing the graph overlay.

Originally Posted by MB_Forever
I don't mean to undermine your results in anyway, but haven't there been multiple members who have dynoed their MHP tunes and actually showed higher numbers than that of Powerchip and others? Also there seems to exist lots of track data showing similar results
I thought this as well. AFAIK, only a mere handful of C63s have run multiple vendors' tuning on the same vehicle. Those that have, and have tried MHP's C63 tuning, seem to have the best objective dyno and track results with MHP's product(s). Not sure how that puzzle piece fits into this particular picture, however.

Originally Posted by C63 Guy
Brian,

Thank you for breaking that down so succinctly and unbiasedly. Shame some other commenters/vendors tried to turn it into a sales pitch. (Is there a smilie for "thumbs down"?)
C63 Guy,

I frequently enjoy your posts, but have to disagree with this one.

In essence, I read Brian's original post as "We tested 4 different tunes, on 4 different cars - same dyno, operator, and 91 octane. Results for all 4 were basically neck-and-neck; our conclusion - tuning results on 91 for C63 is essentially identical, indepenent of tuner chosen." c63beastdriver's post in essence is saying "well, my experience with having 3 different tunes, same vehicle, same dyno, operator, etc. paints a different picture - all three were quite a bit different in measured output; my conclusion - tuning results will vary, based on tuner chosen."

Neither is unbiased in the strictest sense - Brian's company is a vendor for 2 of the 4 tunes tested; c63beastdriver is a vendor for 1 of the 3 he tested (although apparently not at the time of the testing - which is important to consider). That said, I feel both are presenting honest, objective findings without being "salesy" - but I realize reading something as "salesy" or not is certainly subjective.

OT - you're at approx. 600 bhp? That's, what, 500 rwhp on a DJ? That's insane. I vote for you to create a "Silver Dragon Build Thread" and post/link everything there, chronicling the evolution of your beast... it's hard to keep up otherwise.
Old 12-20-2009, 06:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Sincity
Brian: Thank you for going out on the limb here. You just confirmed what I heard a couple of months back from another reputable source. Kinda of what I was gearing towards in my old tune thread.
Found my old thread: https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w...-c63-tune.html
Old 12-23-2009, 11:44 AM
MBWorld Founder

ones too fast according to CHP!
Brian,

This echo's what I have said all along. In tuning, the ones that push development make mor gains early. But as time passes, all the tuners get to the same place. There is no trick to tuning. If you can get control of the ECU correctly, you can only manipulate so much. A proper tune will yeild roughly the same results from anyone.

So early in development of a car, companies that are true developers will have the advatage. This is why we use Powerchip as they co-develop with us early in a car's life cycle. There are other tuners that do the same, but PC is who we have used for 8+ years now.

Late in a life cycle (which is where we are now with 63) everyone else will catch up. Especially with some tuners taking a "look" at other tuners files (which is a reality in this game). At this point it comes down to support and comfort with your vendor.

There are a lot of good vendors out there, so customers certainly can choose who they are most comfortable with.

We like working with PC as they always keep developing and owners can get updates for the life of their ownership for just a re-flash fee! Or if they upgrade to headers, they just have to pay the difference in the two files, not buy a new file to start with.

We have been dealers for other tuning brands, and quite frankly, PC has just been the most reliable and attentive.

Josh can certainly attest to this as they spent a lot of time on his car!

Again, good work Brian! Testing is always a welcome to this site and it is a shame that more don't do it!

thanks
Brad
Old 12-23-2009, 12:56 PM

CLS55, C63, 997 Turbo
I think people always have hopes that a tuner will come along and magically create a tune that "demolishes" everyone else- and some "tuners" have taken advantage of this reality. Let's face it, it's not exciting to just say "ours is just like theirs". But, while this is an art, there's no magic. At the end of the day, a good tune will be about as good as the next good tune. But there are plenty of bad tunes. Speaking of bad tunes, why are we still even bringing up "MHP"? Would anyone with any sense or logic who is breathing actually give money to this company after all the lies, deceit and smoke?!

By the way Brian, if you're going to sell Kleemann, you may want to spell it correctly
Old 12-23-2009, 02:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2009 c63, 2010 E63
Originally Posted by c63beastdriver
Thanks for the post Brian.

I also was certainty surprised with my results considering I went into this blindly and had no idea that I would even end up here posting the results. I was after all and still am very new to this forum and certainly new to “tunes” on an already fast car. I mean really how much faster can a tune be on a 451 hp car?

I started out doing my research using this forum and only after weeks of discovery; and calling/emailing different vendors did I finally pull the trigger. Note: I did not contact the final vendor until after trying the other 2 products first. I did this because the final vendor did not have as many users using their product as the other did. I went with the bigger guys instead because I was not familiar with Vendor M.

So I finally decided to go with Vendor K’s product. Once I got the flash I went to the dyno and I was not happy with the results. I do have a post dyno done to get a true delta. I did not get the results that were posted on their website or what I was told I should get. After a few days of complaining and talking to the vendor they finally agreed to return.

The second flash from Vendor R seemed more promising. Once I got the tune I did the normal break in and then off to the dyno. I did get better results from the dyno and the felt a bit faster and more responsive shifting etc. The dyno numbers showed gains over the previous vendor but not what I was told I should get. To this day I’m still trying to get my full refund.

Both vendors said there flashes were done correctly and they both reviewed their internal audit files to make sure and also checked with the programmers.

The last tune provided exactly what I was expecting. Call this Vendor M. The delta gains between STOCK and Vendor M was 66rwhp and 24rwtq.

These are real numbers and all done on the same dyno with the same operator.

Summation:

Stock Numbers: 357hp & 360tq
Vendor K 393hp & 367tq
Vendor R 411hp & 367tq
Vendor M 424hp & 384t

There are owners on this site that have had GREAT success with other vendors and I have nothing against anyone else’s products or results.

I did not test these products with any intentions of becoming a distributor of the products however I was impressed with the gains and advertised results so I figured I would spread the word.

Bottom Line: You can’t go wrong with any vendors ecu tune as long as YOU are happy with the results!
Hahahaha why don't you outright say it. Pulling the same ole **** again.
Old 12-23-2009, 07:01 PM

C63 AMG
Wow, none of those graphs are smooth at all.
Old 12-23-2009, 09:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

06 C55, 09 E350
isn't MKB stating they increase 63's by 100HP if so could we expect that from everyone else soon or are these false claims?
Old 12-23-2009, 10:05 PM
PREMIER SPONSOR

Originally Posted by JonMBZ
isn't MKB stating they increase 63's by 100HP if so could we expect that from everyone else soon or are these false claims?
If you are inferring that they are claiming 100HP from just a tune, then no that is absolutely not possible and I'm quite certain that's not what they're claiming. But Evosport does certainly offer a 100HP power upgrade kit for the 63 AMG
Old 12-23-2009, 10:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

06 C55, 09 E350
Originally Posted by Simon @ evosport
If you are inferring that they are claiming 100HP from just a tune, then no that is absolutely not possible and I'm quite certain that's not what they're claiming. But Evosport does certainly offer a 100HP power upgrade kit for the 63 AMG
Taken from their website

C63 - M156 V8 AMG
Increase in performance to 405 kW (551 HP) at 6800 rpm, 645 Nm at 5100 rpm
modification:
Modified engine management with readapt ignition map and injection map, incl.Vmax delimiter.

http://www.mkb-tuning.de/content/en/...prod_gruppe=11
Old 12-23-2009, 10:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2013 Chevy 427 Torch Red
Originally Posted by blair_mbz
I think people always have hopes that a tuner will come along and magically create a tune that "demolishes" everyone else- and some "tuners" have taken advantage of this reality. Let's face it, it's not exciting to just say "ours is just like theirs". But, while this is an art, there's no magic. At the end of the day, a good tune will be about as good as the next good tune. But there are plenty of bad tunes. Speaking of bad tunes, why are we still even bringing up "MHP"? Would anyone with any sense or logic who is breathing actually give money to this company after all the lies, deceit and smoke?!

By the way Brian, if you're going to sell Kleemann, you may want to spell it correctly
Probably bringing up MHP because of this.....

http://www.dragtimes.com/Mercedes-Be...ag-Racing.html
Old 12-23-2009, 10:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts
Anything W/4Wheels
Originally Posted by hhughes1
Probably bringing up MHP because of this.....

http://www.dragtimes.com/Mercedes-Be...ag-Racing.html
look at top 5 of list. top spot MHP then 1 renntech car and 2 other MHP cars. that 3-1,
Old 12-24-2009, 01:16 PM
PREMIER SPONSOR

Originally Posted by JonMBZ
Taken from their website

C63 - M156 V8 AMG
Increase in performance to 405 kW (551 HP) at 6800 rpm, 645 Nm at 5100 rpm
modification:
Modified engine management with readapt ignition map and injection map, incl.Vmax delimiter.

http://www.mkb-tuning.de/content/en/...prod_gruppe=11
When you consider the difference in octane levels, it comes out to the same. We tune on CA91 and we're making roughly +70hp. At the mimimum MKB is using 98 RON or perhaps race fuel which can easily make up the additional power when you change ignition timing accordingly. Even I sometimes forget the world is not a level playing ground
Old 12-24-2009, 01:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2013 Chevy 427 Torch Red
When you consider the difference in octane levels, it comes out to the same. We tune on CA91 and we're making roughly +70hp. At the mimimum MKB is using 98 RON or perhaps race fuel which can easily make up the additional power when you change ignition timing accordingly. Even I sometimes forget the world is not a level playing ground
MKB is a very agressive tune that maintains a lean A/F ratio of ~14 all the way through the powerband. It reacts very well to 100 octane fuel and is probably ok for detonation with 93 octane. Accidently using a mid grade fuel could be a serious problem. DadsC63 has this tune on one of his ECU's and I don't think he uses it anymore.
Old 12-24-2009, 02:34 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

C63 AMG Arctic w/ Stage 1 Tune, DoubleXX pipe, MCD-631X coming soon
Hmmm..a shootout is looking more and more inevitable, with known and test bench variables. I have to think about this a bit on how to make it fair to everyone.
Old 12-24-2009, 03:35 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

on Mon. I should have the graphs put together for viewing
Old 12-24-2009, 04:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

If they're testing on 98 RON octane fuel in Europe, that is for all practical purposes equivalent to 93 AKI octane fuel available as "premium" in the vast majority of the U.S. - CA and AZ notwithstanding.
Old 12-24-2009, 04:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Brian GT PRO
on Mon. I should have the graphs put together for viewing
Cool.
Old 12-28-2009, 01:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 54 Likes on 44 Posts
2008 CLK63 Black Series 2012 C63 Black Series 2014 SLS Black Series
Originally Posted by mthis
look at top 5 of list. top spot MHP then 1 renntech car and 2 other MHP cars. that 3-1,
I guess I need to mozy on over to Drag Times and post some slips and vids to shut all of you guys up...11.449 LOL , lets just say that is nearly .250 off the pace of the current 63 N/A e/t record.
Old 12-28-2009, 02:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2013 Chevy 427 Torch Red
Significant accomplishment getting a 63 powered car down to 11.2.

Shame you have to announce your results with such a divisive tone????

I really don't understand why you feel the need to demean the results of others to elevate yours??

Last edited by hhughes1; 12-28-2009 at 02:25 PM.
Old 12-28-2009, 02:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
2014 Audi RS7
Jim,
How about some video's please while you are at it?
Old 12-28-2009, 02:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 54 Likes on 44 Posts
2008 CLK63 Black Series 2012 C63 Black Series 2014 SLS Black Series
Originally Posted by hhughes1
Significant accomplishment getting a 63 powered car down to 11.2.

Shame you have to announce your results with such a divisive tone????

I really don't understand why you feel the need to demean the results of others to elevate yours??
I'm not trying to demean anyone, but as per usual there is a lot of mis-information. I gave up on posting my times on here nearly a year ago, it seemed no matter what the situation and how many witnesses along with slips and vid proof people would question it and claim Bull $h**. I'm just trying to point a few people in the direction of the facts, 11.449 is not the quickest N/A 63 time out there...not even close. I'm just trying to provide a public service along with my personal insight (i was the first to heavily mod a 63). It used to be the 55 guys that were busting my *****..."a 63 will NEVER be as quick as the allmighty 55" LOL, proved them wrong, earned alot of respect from many of the 55 guys along the way, earned alot of respect for the 63 along the way. All I'm saying is that contrary to public opinion MHP or an MHP tune does not have bragging rights to ANY 63 record, all the 63 records are held by my 63 Black Series which is tuned and built by evosport...period!!!! They don't pay me, sponsor me nor do they do any free work on my car so I don't have to be making any posts like this, but I don't want other enthusiests to travel down the wrong road on their modding and tuning ventures. I have proven out several tunes and lots of parts and products, only the best of the best remains on my vehicle. I have purchased tested and thrown away more mods/parts for my 63 than most of you ever had on your cars in the first place,intakes, airboxes, airfilters, spare ECU's, mufflers, lightweight batteries, tires, brake pads, springs etc. I think that should speak for itself. Bottom line, if there is a part or mod available it is on my car, if there are multiple options, chances are I have tested them and am running the better preforming product.

Last edited by jrcart; 12-28-2009 at 02:55 PM.
Old 12-28-2009, 03:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2013 Chevy 427 Torch Red
Maybe if you had left off the it would have rubbed me differently, but I'll take you for your word about the intention of the message. There is no reason for all of us to be in different camps based upon who is supplying our parts. You can be happy with Evosport just like I am with my MHP/Kleemann hybrid and others probably are with Renntech etc. Honestly, I think the attitude of the vast majority of the members is very supportive these days even in the 55K vs 63 conversations. I would like to see more updates from your campaign and if you have anything else to throw away I will PM my address.
Old 12-28-2009, 05:06 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Whoa guys!!...There is no reason to start getting angry. I believe that JRCart has an awesome vehicle, and has made some very significant investment in his car, and deserves a bit of respect for that. I for one would LOVE to see the car, as well as see it run down the track, the avatar looks sinister with the Dymag wheels!!
Old 12-29-2009, 09:42 AM

2015 BMW M3 White/Black
Originally Posted by c63beastdriver
Thanks for the post Brian.

I also was certainty surprised with my results considering I went into this blindly and had no idea that I would even end up here posting the results. I was after all and still am very new to this forum and certainly new to “tunes” on an already fast car. I mean really how much faster can a tune be on a 451 hp car?

I started out doing my research using this forum and only after weeks of discovery; and calling/emailing different vendors did I finally pull the trigger. Note: I did not contact the final vendor until after trying the other 2 products first. I did this because the final vendor did not have as many users using their product as the other did. I went with the bigger guys instead because I was not familiar with Vendor M.

So I finally decided to go with Vendor K’s product. Once I got the flash I went to the dyno and I was not happy with the results. I do have a post dyno done to get a true delta. I did not get the results that were posted on their website or what I was told I should get. After a few days of complaining and talking to the vendor they finally agreed to return.

The second flash from Vendor R seemed more promising. Once I got the tune I did the normal break in and then off to the dyno. I did get better results from the dyno and the felt a bit faster and more responsive shifting etc. The dyno numbers showed gains over the previous vendor but not what I was told I should get. To this day I’m still trying to get my full refund.

Both vendors said there flashes were done correctly and they both reviewed their internal audit files to make sure and also checked with the programmers.

The last tune provided exactly what I was expecting. Call this Vendor M. The delta gains between STOCK and Vendor M was 66rwhp and 24rwtq.

These are real numbers and all done on the same dyno with the same operator.

Summation:

Stock Numbers: 357hp & 360tq
Vendor K 393hp & 367tq
Vendor R 411hp & 367tq
Vendor M 424hp & 384t

There are owners on this site that have had GREAT success with other vendors and I have nothing against anyone else’s products or results.

I did not test these products with any intentions of becoming a distributor of the products however I was impressed with the gains and advertised results so I figured I would spread the word.

Bottom Line: You can’t go wrong with any vendors ecu tune as long as YOU are happy with the results!
Would love to see what the actual acceleration performance is for each of these tunes since traction is the greatest limiting factor on the C63. I would bet that the actual 0-60 and 1/4 mile runs are not that different from stock, but I would love to be proven wrong since I REALLY want to believe that tuning actually makes a real life difference. I just have my doubts based on seeing road tests of other high end tuners cars in third party car magazines.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: ECU Tune, the real discussion...