C63 AMG Arctic w/ Stage 1 Tune, DoubleXX pipe, MCD-631X coming soon
I would be curious on a long term review of these
Old 12-24-2009, 07:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C63AMG
Sandwich Shop

Originally Posted by Brian GT PRO
Longest term review today after install, first 10 miles!

Went to local sandwich shop in heavy traffic on PCH. Forgot the shoppers are still out there. Did a couple of launches on the way back and am able to control the launch with the ESP off much better than with the stock tires. A little more tire did have a significant effect.

When the steering wheel is turned with the car not rolling, you can hear the front tire scuffing produced on the pavement. That never happened with the Pirellis. The steering definitely feels more responsive during the driving.

I have read some comments on how the stock tires produced a feel in the steering wheel of some vehicles, tending to make it feel like it was pulling to one side or the other. I always felt our vehicle favored a slight left pull, however, that is all gone with the mount of these Kumho Ecsta ASX tires.

The car drives better than ever. I am quite pleased with these tires. It was the right decision and follow through action for us at 6100 miles with P/P suspension on our daily driver.
Old 12-28-2009, 07:05 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

C63 AMG Arctic w/ Stage 1 Tune, DoubleXX pipe, MCD-631X coming soon
wow, that sounds like a great start!! Keep us informed as they start to "wear in", I hope they will last longer than the OEM P's.

Originally Posted by lomita
Longest term review today after install, first 10 miles!

Went to local sandwich shop in heavy traffic on PCH. Forgot the shoppers are still out there. Did a couple of launches on the way back and am able to control the launch with the ESP off much better than with the stock tires. A little more tire did have a significant effect.

When the steering wheel is turned with the car not rolling, you can hear the front tire scuffing produced on the pavement. That never happened with the Pirellis. The steering definitely feels more responsive during the driving.

I have read some comments on how the stock tires produced a feel in the steering wheel of some vehicles, tending to make it feel like it was pulling to one side or the other. I always felt our vehicle favored a slight left pull, however, that is all gone with the mount of these Kumho Ecsta ASX tires.

The car drives better than ever. I am quite pleased with these tires. It was the right decision and follow through action for us at 6100 miles with P/P suspension on our daily driver.
Old 12-31-2009, 09:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'09 C63
wow, that sounds like a great start!! Keep us informed as they start to "wear in", I hope they will last longer than the OEM P's.
Actually I went through a set of rears. Handling is "decent" obviously not as good as the stock pirellis. But the stock ones lasted me about 5500 miles and the Kumho's lasted me almost 10,000 miles. I think it was around 9500.
Old 12-31-2009, 11:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2011 GLK350, 2010 ML350, 2008 C63 AMG
any issues with going a size up?
Old 01-01-2010, 12:25 PM

C63AMG
Fitment Issues One Size Up

Originally Posted by gsrjc
any issues with going a size up?
No fitment issues yet. The tire sizes were recommended to me by C63Guy. He knows his stuff, so you can take it to the bank.
Old 01-01-2010, 01:16 PM

C63AMG
Curious

We got started on Kumhos after reading two years ago about track drivers using them, the cost was right, and the wear was reported to be about 10% faster on the track compared to more expensive tires which were available.

The Kumho brand tire was being used by G35 track drivers/enthusiasts. We put a set of them on the wife's G35 and they are doing fine after a couple of years usage.

Since they are wearing well, the noise issue simply isn't there, the price is right, and the handling more than satisfactory, we continue to equip our vehicles with Kumho brand tires.
Old 01-01-2010, 04:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
Yes
Since they are wearing well, the noise issue simply isn't there, the price is right, and the handling more than satisfactory, we continue to equip our vehicles with Kumho brand tires.
Honestly I am not trying to call you out or anything, but I simply dont believe this. I remember your posts about the PP on C63's and how "its a sports car who wouldnt get it" and all that stuff so for anyone who is concerned about noise, I would estimate you are probably on the high end for tolerance.

I have had multiple sets of Kumho's dating back to the Supra 712's in the late 90's, and every single set is LOUD LOUD LOUD as they wear. I dont mean 1000 miles, I mean if the tire lasts 15k, around 5k it starts, 8k gets annoying, 11k gets ridiculous, and 13k gets unbearable. If you research Kumho tires, this issue is well documented with nearly every single model. I dont think them "wearing well" has anything to do with the noise...they are cheap, sticky, and last...something has to give, and its comfort.
Old 01-01-2010, 09:48 PM

C63AMG
Originally Posted by rory breaker
Honestly I am not trying to call you out or anything, but I simply dont believe this. I remember your posts about the PP on C63's and how "its a sports car who wouldnt get it" and all that stuff so for anyone who is concerned about noise, I would estimate you are probably on the high end for tolerance.

I have had multiple sets of Kumho's dating back to the Supra 712's in the late 90's, and every single set is LOUD LOUD LOUD as they wear. I dont mean 1000 miles, I mean if the tire lasts 15k, around 5k it starts, 8k gets annoying, 11k gets ridiculous, and 13k gets unbearable. If you research Kumho tires, this issue is well documented with nearly every single model. I dont think them "wearing well" has anything to do with the noise...they are cheap, sticky, and last...something has to give, and its comfort.
Funny how different ears hear the sounds. We have never ever heard loud loud loud Kumho tires yet. Sorry to hear that has been your experience. As far as documentation, I've never stumbled upon the results of your research, noisy Kumho tires. As far as a performance car, yes, I have one, one with the PP and the Kumhos, and so far, working great. Have a great new year!
Old 01-02-2010, 10:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Yes
Thats OK, its easily findable on google - you'll get 2 types of people. Those that say "no noise, these tires are perfect!" and those that say "good tires but towards the end of their life they are loud."

I tend to believe anyone who has such high all around praise for a tire is simply too interested in making themselves feel good about their own purchase to make an effective critical evaluation. I have personally experienced the latter with every single Kumho tire I owned, as well as those recommended to friends...dozens of sets.

Just something people need to know before buying Kumho tires.
Old 01-02-2010, 11:38 AM

C63AMG
Talking Funny

Thats OK, its easily findable on google - you'll get 2 types of people. Those that say "no noise, these tires are perfect!" and those that say "good tires but towards the end of their life they are loud."

I tend to believe anyone who has such high all around praise for a tire is simply too interested in making themselves feel good about their own purchase to make an effective critical evaluation. I have personally experienced the latter with every single Kumho tire I owned, as well as those recommended to friends...dozens of sets.

Just something people need to know before buying Kumho tires.
I couldn't help but chortle on why someone so adament about how noisy Kumho tires were for them would continue to buy them for years and years continuing to put them on their cars......
Old 01-02-2010, 11:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Yes
I couldn't help but chortle on why someone so adament about how noisy Kumho tires were for them would continue to buy them for years and years continuing to put them on their cars......
Ive had ASX's, AST's, MX's, and Supras as I recall - Supra's were the worst. ASX's were pretty bad too. They are cheap and sticky and were used as street tires for a loud, smelly car so I didnt care
I have said many times, in this thread actually, that Kumho's performance are great...terrific bang for your buck. That doesnt mean they arent loud. They are. End of life they are insanely loud, which to me, decreases their life because at 35% tread you hear the tires over the motor on 90% of the cars on the road. You can keep telling yourself whatever you want to make yourself feel good about a purchase that, in all likelihood, you will enjoy anyway since the only bad side to these tires is one that you care nothing about.

However, for those that do care, they need to know...unless Kumho has made a change in their manufacturing process, these tires will start howling, and it will be annoying. If I was a newbie coming onto this thread I would hate to be misled into buying tires that didnt suit what I was looking for because one guy touts them as perfect after having driven 50 miles on them. Thats why I am adamant about it, because its a fact for those who aren't living in denial like myself and multiple other members in this thread.

In fact....every single other person who has driven Kumhos in this thread say the same thing. Its hard not to "stumble" upon feedback that exists in your own thread.

Not a big deal dude, Im just saying, Kumhos get loud. People who are looking into Kumhos need to know this, that's all. Dont take it as a personal attack, just because you bought Kumho tires doesnt make you part of their family, Im not insulting you or your purchase, just stating the facts, which are clearly backed up by thousands of other drivers. Likely results of any Kumho tire in its respective class - Grip is above avg, wear is good, but they are painfully loud as they wear.
Old 01-02-2010, 01:12 PM

C63AMG
Like You Said, NO BIG DEAL

I have said many times, in this thread actually, that Kumho's performance are great...terrific bang for your buck. That doesnt mean they arent loud. They are. End of life they are insanely loud, which to me, decreases their life because at 35% tread you hear the tires over the motor on 90% of the cars on the road. You can keep telling yourself whatever you want to make yourself feel good about a purchase that, in all likelihood, you will enjoy anyway since the only bad side to these tires is one that you care nothing about.

However, for those that do care, they need to know...unless Kumho has made a change in their manufacturing process, these tires will start howling, and it will be annoying. If I was a newbie coming onto this thread I would hate to be misled into buying tires that didnt suit what I was looking for because one guy touts them as perfect after having driven 50 miles on them. Thats why I am adamant about it, because its a fact for those who aren't living in denial like myself and multiple other members in this thread.

In fact....every single other person who has driven Kumhos in this thread say the same thing. Its hard not to "stumble" upon feedback that exists in your own thread.

Not a big deal dude, Im just saying, Kumhos get loud. People who are looking into Kumhos need to know this, that's all. Dont take it as a personal attack, just because you bought Kumho tires doesnt make you part of their family, Im not insulting you or your purchase, just stating the facts, which are clearly backed up by thousands of other drivers. Likely results of any Kumho tire in its respective class - Grip is above avg, wear is good, but they are painfully loud as they wear.
OK, so you have made your point several times now. I have reached a different conclusion and it is perfectly OK. It's not about denial, or not caring, or appearing to stumble about, I simply stated my experience and it has been good. Hope you can get over it.
Old 01-02-2010, 01:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Yes
OK, so you have made your point several times now. I have reached a different conclusion and it is perfectly OK. It's not about denial, or not caring, or appearing to stumble about, I simply stated my experience and it has been good. Hope you can get over it.
Old 01-02-2010, 02:11 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
What I like!
Maybe the softer sidewalls on the all-season Kumhos make it easier to launch vs the Pirellis.... ? A stiffer sidewall on the front with a softer one on the rear might be an ideal setup for the C63 on the street.... I put NT-05s on my rears (a sticky tire, at least for a road course) but they do not put the power down in a straight line any better than the stock Pirellis. The NT-05s have a nice stiff sidewall which is great for a crisp turn-in but they don't have any "give" under accelleration.... I'm not a drag racer, these are just my impressions....
Old 01-02-2010, 03:25 PM

C63AMG
So Far

Originally Posted by Hans Delbruck
Maybe the softer sidewalls on the all-season Kumhos make it easier to launch vs the Pirellis.... ? A stiffer sidewall on the front with a softer one on the rear might be an ideal setup for the C63 on the street.... I put NT-05s on my rears (a sticky tire, at least for a road course) but they do not put the power down in a straight line any better than the stock Pirellis. The NT-05s have a nice stiff sidewall which is great for a crisp turn-in but they don't have any "give" under accelleration.... I'm not a drag racer, these are just my impressions....
Out of the launch, the back end still breaks loose, however, the Kumhos are a size larger than the stocks, and back end seems to not stray as much under the hard throttle. The suggestion was a little tire size change would be helpful and appears to be.
Old 07-25-2014, 04:08 PM

2012 c250 sport, amg 18 wheels, H&R sport, nav, 12mm rear 15 front spacers, Godhand front splitter
Kuhmo on c class

I've had this setup before on my Acura tl. Was great so just did it to my c class. 2012 with sport suspension and amg 18s. They are quiet and smooth, handle well also. Put about 20k miles on them with Acura and never had an issue. Rotated every 5k. Good luck.