C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just fitted an X pipe

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-22-2010, 12:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
XC90, 2x67ShelbyGT350, 68ShelbyGT500, 3 mustang GT's and now my gorgeous Palladium C63
my trusted Exhaust Shop here in Perth Australia (and they do have a great reputation by the way) just refused to fit an X-pipe on my 09 C63, stating it would require the removal of the front cats, and that is illegal (Federal apparently) carrying a penalty of up to AUD$50K if they're caught and convicted.

sheeeaaatttt..... now what....
Old 01-22-2010, 02:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 101 Likes on 50 Posts
09 C63
Originally Posted by bozelloy
my trusted Exhaust Shop here in Perth Australia (and they do have a great reputation by the way) just refused to fit an X-pipe on my 09 C63, stating it would require the removal of the front cats, and that is illegal (Federal apparently) carrying a penalty of up to AUD$50K if they're caught and convicted.

sheeeaaatttt..... now what....
you do not need to remove front cats to fit x pipe, only mid cats
Old 01-27-2010, 03:19 AM

XC90, 2x67ShelbyGT350, 68ShelbyGT500, 3 mustang GT's and now my gorgeous Palladium C63
Originally Posted by RNS-11Z
front cats...mid cats...any bloody cats.... its illegal and they said they were not prepared to do it.

peace.
Old 01-27-2010, 03:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

09 C63
front cats...mid cats...any bloody cats.... its illegal and they said they were not prepared to do it.

peace.
if you want to be that ****, then even a ecu tune is illegal, using anything thats not from factory is illegal. changing your rear muffler that is not factory fitted or made to factory specs is illegal.

h.
Old 01-27-2010, 07:47 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2009 MB C63 2007 MB ML63 2006 MB CLS 500 (wife)
Mid cat (catalytic converter)? What and where is it? You mean resonator?

if you want to be that ****, then even a ecu tune is illegal, using anything thats not from factory is illegal. changing your rear muffler that is not factory fitted or made to factory specs is illegal.

h.
I think that a tune has nothing to do with government regulations. A modded exhaust can cause extra emissions which do not suit Australian specs. That is why they (custom exhaust shop) do not cut cats out?
Old 01-27-2010, 07:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

09 C63
Originally Posted by -michael-

I think that a tune has nothing to do with government regulations. A modded exhaust can cause extra emissions which do not suit Australian specs. That is why they (custom exhaust shop) do not cut cats out?
in australia it is different, then also every state has variations too. it can be confusing at times.

h.
Old 01-27-2010, 09:11 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C63 AMG, BMW 135i

peace.

I can understand their reluctance to remove the primary cats but you’ve got a very tuff exhaust shop if they won’t remove the secondaries. Anyway, I thought it was the car owner who copped the fine if they drive the vehicle on a public road, not the exhaust shop.

The Secondary cats are just past the primaries, they are not the resonator. Have a look under your car.

RNS-11Z is right. In Australia, any change to the factory tune is illegal as it's deemed to change the emissions as approved under the Australian Design Rules (ADR). Still I don’t know of anyone who has ever been done for it. Usually if you have to do an EPA test here, it’s because you’ve been caught with an excessively loud exhaust or cams.

Last edited by sjhugh; 01-27-2010 at 09:31 AM.
Old 01-27-2010, 03:03 PM

2009 MB C63 2007 MB ML63 2006 MB CLS 500 (wife)
Originally Posted by sjhugh
I can understand their reluctance to remove the primary cats but you’ve got a very tuff exhaust shop if they won’t remove the secondaries. Anyway, I thought it was the car owner who copped the fine if they drive the vehicle on a public road, not the exhaust shop.

The Secondary cats are just past the primaries, they are not the resonator. Have a look under your car.

Ohhh OK I have seen our exhaust a lot of times, I thought that OP "found" a third cat (as if Primary, "Mid" and then Secondary or the other way around) I just never heard anyone refer to it as "mid cat" So I thought that OP meant resonator. Sorry, my bad.

RNS-11Z is right. In Australia, any change to the factory tune is illegal as it's deemed to change the emissions as approved under the Australian Design Rules (ADR). Still I don’t know of anyone who has ever been done for it. Usually if you have to do an EPA test here, it’s because you’ve been caught with an excessively loud exhaust or cams.

OK, but if your tune doesn't exceed the government issued emission levels do you still get fined for it?
In Russia we have something called EURO 3 or 4 (I don't remember) basically it is a standard level of emissions for Europe and you can do to your car whatever you want as long as you don't increase this level.

Old 01-28-2010, 05:45 PM

no more AMG
Damn, and I thought California EPA laws were harsh
Old 01-28-2010, 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by sjhugh

speaking of ADR, my exhaust shop even put a decibel meter on my car (a couple of meters away) and i gave it a medium-sized blat. they were stunned to see it registering 98.8Db (stock exhaust) which is way above ADR compliance levels so it unfortunately seems like double-standards to me.