Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts
Anything W/4Wheels
Originally Posted by PetroC55
mthis

Who did the install for you?

This is going to be my next mod and I want to find someone in
the NY/NJ area who is qualified.

Thanks.
TTmotorsport. Out in long island. They also on this forum. Bruce great guy and he has done a couple so he knows wat his doing.
Old 01-20-2010, 03:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C63 AMG
I think it comes down to if you track more than 2 times a year and you track HARD(and i mean hard) then you would definitely want an LSD. Cause from tracking my non-LSD C63 for couple of times I find that its very hard to put the power down coming out of the corners.

For everyone else LSD is basicly useless.
Old 01-20-2010, 05:40 PM

2011 Ultima GTR
Originally Posted by sjhugh

I find it embarrassing when a car only leaves one rubber mark on the road.

Makes you feel like your 18 and driving a $2,000 VN commodore? Yeah...

I'd break it down like this, and it really comes down to driving style in the end and what people do with their cars.

You would enjoy an LSD: If you track (circuit/hill climb) it or are a bit of a hoon (even a little) on the road. If you look outside when its raining and think "yay!". If an empty car park in the middle of no where looks tempting when road tripping across the country. If you enjoy the 3h mountain drive (which you turned into a 1.5h drive) to a ski resort more than the resort itself. In all these instances, you will not regret buying an LSD.

If none of the above sound like your cup of tea, you probably wouldn't benefit from an LSD.
Old 01-20-2010, 06:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Porsche 991S, Cayenne S, 1972 BMW 3.0CS E9 Coupe
Originally Posted by AlexCim

I'd break it down like this, and it really comes down to driving style in the end and what people do with their cars.

You would enjoy an LSD: If you track (circuit/hill climb) it or are a bit of a hoon (even a little) on the road. If you look outside when its raining and think "yay!". If an empty car park in the middle of no where looks tempting when road tripping across the country. If you enjoy the 3h mountain drive (which you turned into a 1.5h drive) to a ski resort more than the resort itself. In all these instances, you will not regret buying an LSD.

If none of the above sound like your cup of tea, you probably wouldn't benefit from an LSD.
That's pretty much it. Waste of money otherwise.
Old 01-20-2010, 06:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C63 AMG
My first two planned mods will be LSD and tune. Debating which to go with first however..
Old 01-20-2010, 07:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
02 CLK 55 AMG,09 C63 loaded with P30
My C63 comes with LSD from the factory. I'm going to the strip in the spring and will see what it runs stock.
Old 01-20-2010, 07:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
2002 C32 AMG, 2013 GLK 350/4, 2015 E63S AMG Wagon
Originally Posted by sflgator
Sorry, but like you said, the "C32 is a different car." My tuned C63 AMG puts down 417RWHP / 381 lb-ft RWTQ. I imagine an LSD wouldn't help all that much when going in a straight line.
There is nothing to be sorry about. My C32 puts down 370 lb-ft RWTQ on a Mustang dyno and a 1/4 mile (straight line) in 12.52 secs. With an LSD.
By "different car" I meant driving dynamics of the car, tendency to oversteer or understeer, weight distribution, and so on.

+1. Yep. That's me.
Old 01-20-2010, 08:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'09 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by Lenin
There is nothing to be sorry about. My C32 puts down 370 lb-ft RWTQ on a Mustang dyno and a 1/4 mile (straight line) in 12.52 secs. With an LSD.
By "different car" I meant driving dynamics of the car, tendency to oversteer or understeer, weight distribution, and so on.

+1. Yep. That's me.
Impressive; didn't know a modded (even highly modded) C32 could make that much power and run so fast.

FWIW, I ran 12.4 sec. @ 115mph (with a cruddy 2.048 sec. 60ft.) my first time running my the 1/4mi. in my C63...with shot rear street tires and without an LSD. I truly believe that I can get my launch down to ~ 1.9x sec. 60ft. and run the 1/4mi. in ~ 12.0-12.1 sec. @ 116-117mph.
Old 01-20-2010, 08:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'09 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by Boost Gomez
My first two planned mods will be LSD and tune. Debating which to go with first however..
There should be no debate...ECU FLASH TUNE first; everything else after!
Old 01-21-2010, 12:13 AM

AMG C63
Quaiffe makes an excellent LSD. I have not tried it on the C63 but I have had a few of them over the years. This is their world and they know it well.

Brian is this a bolt-in replacement?

I've heard that the Kleeman LSD is an excellent price but I don't know the features or durability. It appears that you also have to send them your differential and they actually modify it. Any Kleeman reps out there to confirm?

Anyone know what's the locking % is for each?
Old 01-21-2010, 04:27 AM

2012 E63 PP, 2012 Ferrari 458, 2012 Boxster S

I do not agree with the sentiment that LSD is only for hard core track use. I tested both with and without LSD before ticking the option off and there was a noticeable difference when simply powering out of corners. Without LSD the inner tire would constantly spin. With LSD I spin a lot less (and I can of course power slide out of corners with both wheel spinning provided enough juice ).

Ken
Old 01-21-2010, 08:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
2016 C63 S
Originally Posted by sflgator
DRs...absolutely yes (on any car for that matter), LSD...not so much, imho. But, I do not have an LSD and haven't driven a C63 w/ an LSD, so I do not know for certain. But, as others have said, the LSD doesn't seem to matter all that much, especially when comparing launches and 1/4 mi. ETs and Traps.

I would have to absolutely disagree there.....An LSD and drag radials make a huge difference.....

If you're limited to only a 1400 RPM launch and your boost doesn't hit until after that, then sure maybe you wouldn't see a difference....

But if you're a C63 with Traction Control off there will definitely be a difference.....

That's why pretty much every serious drag racer has a locker or at least an LSD.....

It's common sense that when both tires hook you leave harder and quicker
Old 01-21-2010, 08:48 AM

C63 AMG, BMW 135i
Originally Posted by KEMA

I do not agree with the sentiment that LSD is only for hard core track use. I tested both with and without LSD before ticking the option off and there was a noticeable difference when simply powering out of corners. Without LSD the inner tire would constantly spin. With LSD I spin a lot less (and I can of course power slide out of corners with both wheel spinning provided enough juice ).

Ken

I agree. Having tested with and without back to back, I also noticed a big difference in the way the two dealt with tight corners. Still if you’re not into spirited driving, you’ll never miss the LSD.

Old 01-21-2010, 08:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
2016 C63 S
Originally Posted by sjhugh
I agree. Having tested with and without back to back, I also noticed a big difference in the way the two dealt with tight corners. Still if you’re not into spirited driving, you’ll never miss the LSD.

Old 01-21-2010, 10:37 AM

'13 ML350 BT, '10 C63 (gone)
What about driving in the snow? For those that live in the north east states/provinces, is the LSD worth it just for the winter driving?
Old 01-21-2010, 04:13 PM
JM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W204
LSD produces hallucinations and there is no way to anticipate whether the "trip" will be a good or a bad one prior to use. A trip can last for several hours. This drug also makes the pupils dilate, increases heart rate and blood pressure, and causes dryness in the mouth. Insomnia and tremors are common effects of LSD use. Some users feel paranoid or anxious while under the influence.

On the side note, My car came with LSD and the best I have used it for was a track event and perfect donuts!
Old 01-21-2010, 07:53 PM

GF
Originally Posted by Jeffield
LSD produces hallucinations and there is no way to anticipate whether the "trip" will be a good or a bad one prior to use. A trip can last for several hours. This drug also makes the pupils dilate, increases heart rate and blood pressure, and causes dryness in the mouth. Insomnia and tremors are common effects of LSD use. Some users feel paranoid or anxious while under the influence.

On the side note, My car came with LSD and the best I have used it for was a track event and perfect donuts!
http://news.ninemsn.com.au/health/98...ex-anaesthetic
Old 01-22-2010, 11:26 AM

2016 C63s AMG
How does a stock LSD affect traction/ESP. Does the ESP still try to correct tail spin? If its raining and you have ESP on and you floor it will the car be all over the road or does it correct its self?

What about an after market LSD like renntech that has 100% lock up. How does this affect the traction/ESP.

Basically what I am trying to figure out is, with an LSD can I drive the car in the rain and still have ESP woking for me?

Ive test driven a C63 with out LSD and the ESP was constaly correcting the car which made me feel secure. I cant find any with LSD to test drive.
Old 01-22-2010, 01:53 PM

2012 E63 PP, 2012 Ferrari 458, 2012 Boxster S
Originally Posted by pugguy2001

Basically what I am trying to figure out is, with an LSD can I drive the car in the rain and still have ESP woking for me?

Ive test driven a C63 with out LSD and the ESP was constaly correcting the car which made me feel secure. I cant find any with LSD to test drive.
Absolutely. The LSD option does not in any way interfere with your ESP. If anything it helps in situation where you are on slick surface with two wheels and dry with the other two. Without the LSD I would veer slightly to one side before the ESP cut in. With the LSD I feel that the direction of the car is more stable.

I'm driving in a very wet and right now very cold/snowy environment. With the right tire setup the car is very stable in any environment really. Just don't turn off the ESP completely

Ken
Old 01-22-2010, 03:36 PM

2010 C63
I have just over 3,000 miles on my C63 - the first 1,600 miles without a LSD and the rest with a locking LSD. I just do not understand why this car does not have an LSD standard. Even around slow corners in town the car without the LSD would spin wheels with just a little rain or dirt on the road -- with the LSD, there is far less wheel spin and fewer blinking lights. Even if you accept that an LSD provides only marginal improvement to acceleration on a smooth, clean, straight, rubber-coated track, it will help a great deal on any road that is dirty, wet, bumpy, twisty, dusty, or some combination of these -- that is, 97.5% of roads. In fact, I really noticed how well the LSD worked as I accelerated with one wheel on the rumble strip back onto the interstate after a nice talk with with Trooper H yesterday (I shouldn't have waited on the Passport 9500ci).

I would highly recommend an LSD. A Quaife unit, installed, is about $2,000 (assuming 7 hours labor at $100). A modest sum compared to the price of the car.

Some will say that you could get by without one if you drive like Granny (and they may be right), but I can't remember the last time I saw Granny driving a C63. I think Trooper H would agree with me on this point.
Old 01-22-2010, 05:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Porsche 991S, Cayenne S, 1972 BMW 3.0CS E9 Coupe
Originally Posted by ATL_MB
I have just over 3,000 miles on my C63 - the first 1,600 miles without a LSD and the rest with a locking LSD. I just do not understand why this car does not have an LSD standard.
It doesn't come with a LSD as standard because it's part of an option package. This is easier to understand if you work in the Daimler AG accounting department and not in the engineering department. It makes perfect sense if you wear a suit and have a MBA degree.

Think of it this way: a LSD isn't necessary to sell the car. But if a consumer really wants a LSD then it's available through an expensive (and very profitable) option package. It's a win for Daimler AG and their shareholders.
Old 01-22-2010, 07:52 PM

2016 C63s AMG
Originally Posted by KEMA
Absolutely. The LSD option does not in any way interfere with your ESP. If anything it helps in situation where you are on slick surface with two wheels and dry with the other two. Without the LSD I would veer slightly to one side before the ESP cut in. With the LSD I feel that the direction of the car is more stable.

I'm driving in a very wet and right now very cold/snowy environment. With the right tire setup the car is very stable in any environment really. Just don't turn off the ESP completely

Ken
Ok, so when I test drove the one with out an LSD when I would get on it the back of the car would swing out and then the ESP would blink and then the other tire would grab and then you would get jerked back into your seat, which was annoying! Are you saying with an LSD its more of a forward motion and less jerking around?
Old 01-31-2010, 04:39 AM

Mercedes C63
LSD option for C63

Hi there,
Just purchased a C63. Would be a proud owner-but instead of waiting 4 months for a car to come in with the LSD option, i bought one "off the floor".
DISASTER. After hearing the sales man tell me that they never sell this option....bla bla bla..just so he could sell the car on the floor, i am bitterly disappointed.
The inside wheel spins if i so much as break wind near the accelerator when going around a corner. Ofcourse the traction control kicks in...and then its all over. Thats in the dry. In the wet..better drive like your on Vallium.
Unless your some kind of freak, who ONLY bought the C63 for the sound it makes..and not the stonk...this is not an option-its a necessity.
Sitting here listening to people say its only required if you use the car on the track....etc etc. No chance. THis is required....if you use the c63 as a daily driver. Its required if you EVER like to give it a "Squirt" or take someone on the inside lane at the lights.
How an LSD is considered an option on a C63 is beyond me. Its an utter disgrace.
Anyway, now im told Bavaria Cars in Gladesville Sydney will install a Drexler LSD for $6K. Im about to book it in.
Does anyone have any info on Bavaria cars or any other reputable diff installers, that can install the Drexler and are 100% trust worthy. I've never done an aftermarket mod and im hesitant...with my new baby (actually i call her a tart until i get the diff installed).

Cheers

Jo
Old 01-31-2010, 04:45 AM

2011 Ultima GTR
Jo - Where are you located in Australia? There is also Marranos in Syd that will do a Quaife or Sharp Performance in Melbourne that will do work too.
Old 01-31-2010, 04:46 AM

Mercedes C63
LSD on C63

Totally agree 101%!
In other words, if you bother to buy the top donk...you need a LSD.
Incidentally, i used to own an E55 and it would blow my new C63 to shreds...especially at 80km/h kickback. Why have Merc gone backwards?
Guess thats why the 63 engine is the most shortlived ever in the Merc Range, with the twin turbo V8 destined for arrival later this year!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Benefits of an LSD, advice please