Sponsored by:

MBUSA Handling of Lemon

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 03:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 C63
MBUSA Handling of Lemon

Hi Everyone - I just signed up for this site but have never posted on but I have a situation that I wanted to get everyone's thoughts on.

I purchased a 2009 C63 about 7 months ago and literally, from the minute I got in the car, it has had constant problems. The minute I got in the car, I noticed there was condesnsation in the sideview mirror signal lamps and I had to bring it in to fix that the same day I purchased it! Since then, I have had to bring it into the shop over 10 times for multiple problems. I have constantly contacted MBUSA and at first they didn't want to do anything but I was persistent and they now said the best they can do is to give me a replacement at a nearby dealership. I really just want a refund according to the law in NJ (purchased it in NJ) and they obviously are hesitant to do this so I wanted to hear if anyone has ever had an experience on a lemon with MBUSA.

Additionally, not sure anyone has done it in NJ and how difficult or easy it is to get a determination of a lemon? I have contacted several attorneys and based on the records, all want this case but I wanted to get opinions on what to do - should I pursue the legal route?
Old 02-08-2010, 03:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
CLK63 Black Series
Not sure about the lemon law in NJ, but here in VA there must be something wrong that effects the ability to drive the car safely and you must give the shop 3 chances to fix that issue. If by then the issue remains you could be eligible. Minor stuff like water vapor in the lamps isn't going to cut it.

I'd start looking for a lawyer if you really think your car is a lemon, or at least research the laws in your state first.
Old 02-08-2010, 03:26 PM

09 Eurocharged C63 AMG
Originally Posted by vmspionage
Not sure about the lemon law in NJ, but here in VA there must be something wrong that effects the ability to drive the car safely and you must give the shop 3 chances to fix that issue. If by then the issue remains you could be eligible. Minor stuff like water vapor in the lamps isn't going to cut it.

I'd start looking for a lawyer if you really think your car is a lemon, or at least research the laws in your state first.
NJ is very similar as I had once Lemon a BMW.

OP care to explain some of the misfortunes you have had?
Old 02-08-2010, 09:11 PM

2009 C63
MBUSA Lemon

Thanks for the reply - As far as the severity of the conditions, I only mentioned the signal lamp as an illustration of the problems I encountered with the car from minute one of my ownership. Below is a sample of the problems I can recall but in all, my car has been in service over 1.5 months over my 6 month ownership - not sure this should be like this given that I am paying for a creme de la creme car from MB.

- Power steering pump failure
- Check engine light indicating gas cap was not on
- Signal light condensation (driver side mirror)
- Satellite radio failure short (3 times)
- Check engine for fuel regulator valve
- Paint peeling on driver door
- Check engine light - for other various problems (more than twice, can't remember exactly

But all of this is documented and I ultimately adversely affect the resale value of the car besides the fact that I am customer of the year at my local MB service dealer.
Old 02-08-2010, 09:14 PM

2009 C63
This is my first MB but I can't endorse buying a MB given my experience, although I am probably a small minority, given how many satisfied C63 owners there are, I am still disheartened with how MBUSA has handled this situation thus far.

Anyone have any recommendations?
Old 02-08-2010, 09:30 PM

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
11' R8 - 11' RR Sport
As long as within the first year, it is at the dealer more than x3 and more than 30 days..it qualifies. My C63 was lemon'd. The dealer had an internal network they set everything up with and I ended up getting my money spent on the paid months of lease...back in a check..and they sold me a new car at a discount..

but i just sold that for an x5m....
Old 02-08-2010, 10:14 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
What I like!
Those are the problems you had, and MB is offering an entire replacement vehicle?

I'd say that's pretty incredible of MB.

I mean really..... so, I could conjure up a bunch of pointless "issues" my car has.... condensation in mirror light? (give me a break) CEL because the gas cap isn't on right? (your fault) sat radio cutting out? (it does that) then.... take my car in and complain about those "issues", enough to ensure it's in the shop over 30 days... and then get a new car?

But no, you want a refund.

Curious.... do you need the money?
Old 02-08-2010, 10:23 PM

2009 C63
I don't have a computer to look at what the check engine light means so that is what the technician told me so me not putting the gas cap on was not the actual issue - I'm pretty sure I know how to put the gas cap on. Obviously it was an issue with the electronics. As far as the sat radio, it didn't work period, it wasn't an issue about it going in and out. Issues have come up with the car and I'm forced to bring it in and if it was just a simple issue I would get the car back right away the same day - instead the actual service tech said my issues, although not isolated are a problem and not the norm. I have not complained to get it in the shop so I find your comments very short sighted but seeing you are from "Surf City," I don't find it surprising.

I obviously bought the car because I have heard good things and no I don't need the money, I just don't like wasting my time like I just did again responding to you. Chalk another wasted minute, this time due to an uneducated spoiled MB driver.
Old 02-08-2010, 10:34 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
What I like!
Originally Posted by jchang
I obviously bought the car because I have heard good things
You have heard good things. Well is there anything you like about your car? If so, I think you should take MB up on their offer. Odds are good your next C63 won't be a "lemon."
Old 02-08-2010, 10:42 PM

2009 C63
I actually love the car, when I have it. I had a 2002 M3 and 2006 M3 before this one and I have to say I enjoy the car's power and sound of the engine - which I can't say about the M3 I used to have but the offer from MBUSA was that they would give me a car "similar" to my current car and they can't guarantee anything nor can I have any input on what I receive. In clarification, they said that they can technically give me a "used" C63 with the same mileage, which is about 5k miles which is what I adamantly disagree about. I feel that if I bought a new car and had "lemon" deeming issues from the beginning (documented by MB techs) then I should get a car from the start of issues, which is brand new.

I asked the guy if there was a chance in getting a used (up to 5k) C63 that was in a different color then mine and he said its a possibility - so I don't think that I should have a car they have control over. Do you think I am overstating this issue?
Old 02-09-2010, 08:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2015 C300 4matic
http://www.state.nj.us/oag/ca/ocp/lemguide.htm

lots of good information here..
Old 02-09-2010, 06:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 381 Likes on 237 Posts
2010 Irridium Silver MB C63 AMG Sedan
Some of the problems that you have had sound very similar to many members in the forum. I had a check engine light on the day after I bought my car. After I took it back in, it happened again once I hit the A/C.

The reasons were loose gas cap and fuel regulator as you mentioned. Once I took it in, the light has not come back.
But this is a common occurance for many of us owners of the CEL showing up then going away. I wonder why they weren't able to fix it because this is pretty minor.

As far as your chipping paint, thats odd because MB goes to great lengths to apply quality paint in multiple layers with electromagnetic polarization. How can you prove the paint chipping constitutes a lemon?

But regardless, if the car has engine problems and drive-ability issues and it is unsafe, then obviously the lemon law takes play. But it sounds like those issues your having are minor cosmetic issues that, rightfully so, should get fixed at your liking and standards.

I hope that you find a happy conclusion to your problems because you are paying for and have paid for "le creme de la creme"

Last edited by ZephyrAMG; 02-09-2010 at 06:33 PM.
Old 02-09-2010, 06:36 PM

2006 E55 AMG
I had a similar situation with Toyota last year. Bought a $50k Tundra and it was a total turd. It was in the shop for 18 days in less than 8 months. They basically told me to eff off. I didn't have the time or the patience to deal with it. I just traded it in. I think I would insist on a new vehicle. If they're offering a used one with like miles and features, they'll give you a new one if you push hard enough. GL.
Old 02-09-2010, 06:39 PM

2020 GLE450
I echo the thoughts of those who have had problems with their cars. My car has been in the shop for a number of items, some being small but some being not so small including replacement of the ECU (but not enough to lemon the car). These cars are just not particularly reliable and I will likely not purchase another Merc. If you're being offered a replacement car, there will be no guarantee that that car will not have similar problems but there's a chance that it will be one of the reliable ones. Just to give you an idea, here are the problems I've had:

1) Bad purge valve
2) Solenoid inside cabin replaced
3) Rubber moulding in engine bay disintegrating
4) Check engine light (ECU replaced - the "loose fuel cap" message)
5) Delaminating front tires
6) Alignment at 8K miles
7) Mystery transmission fluid on bottom of bell housing between engine and tranny
Old 02-09-2010, 07:08 PM

Radio Flyer Big Flyer fully loaded with training wheels and NOS
my powersteering has failed 3 times. once while driving over the tappan zee the steering even locked up. mbusa is also looking into it to see what they can do.
Old 02-09-2010, 07:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
02 CLK 55 AMG,09 C63 loaded with P30
Originally Posted by C63 DTM AMG
my powersteering has failed 3 times. once while driving over the tappan zee the steering even locked up. mbusa is also looking into it to see what they can do.
It must be the burnouts you do. They do a number on the powersteering.
Old 02-09-2010, 08:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
no more AMG
Originally Posted by AreL11
I had a similar situation with Toyota last year. Bought a $50k Tundra and it was a total turd. It was in the shop for 18 days in less than 8 months. They basically told me to eff off. I didn't have the time or the patience to deal with it. I just traded it in. I think I would insist on a new vehicle. If they're offering a used one with like miles and features, they'll give you a new one if you push hard enough. GL.
Your not the only one. I grew up owning Toyota's and loved them, but I had a 2006 Tundra and 2009 Corolla that both had several problems and went rounds with Toyota USA who did absolutely nothing to resolve the issue's. Toyota is nowhere near the company they used to be, as shown by all the recall's and issue's that we see dominating the news. I would rather ride a bike then purchase another Toyota product.