Sponsored by:

Auto Car Wash

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-16-2010, 12:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
'10 C63
i would love to handwash my car all the time but it's really difficult to find the time. i still don't understand how people do it in the cold.

with a recent snow storm which we don't get much if ever in dallas, my car has gotten really dirty... and it's just too cold to go hand wash my car. i've been trained to be scared of auto car washes as well, but i hate seeing my car dirty also. it's an endless cycle.

Last edited by bluejae; 02-16-2010 at 01:44 PM.
Old 02-16-2010, 12:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
08 MB
Originally Posted by bluejae
I still don't understand how people do it in the cold.
I am as **** as the next guy about keeping my things nice but in cold climates we don't have any choice but a touch less wash until the warm days come back so we can hand wash.

I don't think my neighbors would appreciate me icing up the whole street washing my car and a car wash does have hot water but unless you have plenty of quarters and a person rinsing behind you the wash water starts to freeze on the car along with the wash rag. Been there and done that!
Old 02-16-2010, 02:59 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
13 Lamborghini SL, 09 C63, Vipers (sold)
i would love to handwash my car all the time but it's really difficult to find the time. i still don't understand how people do it in the cold.

with a recent snow storm which we don't get much if ever in dallas, my car has gotten really dirty... and it's just too cold to go hand wash my car. i've been trained to be scared of auto car washes as well, but i hate seeing my car dirty also. it's an endless cycle.
Washed mine last night after the 12 1/2 inches of snow in Dallas. Glad I don't live further north.....that would be very tough to keep any car clean!
Old 02-16-2010, 03:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'10 C63
Originally Posted by KCviper
Washed mine last night after the 12 1/2 inches of snow in Dallas. Glad I don't live further north.....that would be very tough to keep any car clean!
right, and i don't understand how you do it... way too cold for me... also considering by the time i get out of work, the suns down... so even colder.
Old 02-16-2010, 03:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

a durr
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLIGQ...eature=related

Optimum No Rinse

You don't even need a hose so you can wash the entire car in the garage.
Old 02-16-2010, 05:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'10 C63
is this it?

http://www.autogeek.net/optimum-no-rinse.html

do you use the towels and such they provide or other brands such as a waffle weave something to dry?
Old 02-16-2010, 06:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Oliverk
Even a good handwashing induces swirls. Even with two buckets, grit guards, etc. It happens.

Yes, swirl removal takes minute amounts of clearcoat off. Then again, a decent detailer doesn't take off more than necessary, and it would be probably 15 years before you got even close to going through the clearcoat
15 years? tell you what. why don't you cut polish your car 5 times (which would be only 2.5 years according to your every 6mth frequency) and I will show you how thick your paint is compared to new.
Old 02-16-2010, 06:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'10 C63
this product sounds interesting, now to find some decent tools to work with.

any suggestions on what items you guys use?

MF, mitts, towels, etc
Old 02-16-2010, 06:29 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C63 AMG, BMW 135i
this product sounds interesting, now to find some decent tools to work with.

any suggestions on what items you guys use?

MF, mitts, towels, etc

Check this site out for some ideas.

http://www.carcareproducts.com.au/products/mint?page=3

I know it’s an Aussie site but these types of products and brands are available everywhere. See page 2 of the Mint section for waffle weave drying towels. Synthetic Chamois kills the finish. The Mint Microfibre Super Plush Cloths have to be experienced to be believed. They are amazingly soft compared to store microfibre bought items.

As far as having someone do machine correction on your swirls, I use a paint thickness gauge on all my cars and I can tell you, your finish won’t last 15 years if use this method to keep the paint looking good. You are better off washing the car correctly using the right products. Do it right and you will find that the swirls are kept to a minium and the shine will last. It’s also a good idea to use a paint sealer for added protection, something like Optimum Opti-Seal, it’s just a wipe on application with no buffing off needed.

http://www.carcareproducts.com.au/products/optimum

Last edited by sjhugh; 02-16-2010 at 06:33 PM.
Old 02-16-2010, 07:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts
96 and 08 911 turbos
Originally Posted by wankeldude
15 years? tell you what. why don't you cut polish your car 5 times (which would be only 2.5 years according to your every 6mth frequency) and I will show you how thick your paint is compared to new.
lol, ok.

Using something like M105 will hardly cause a dent in the nano clear on a modern MB.
Old 02-16-2010, 07:37 PM
ATT

2012 C63 BS 2012 SLK 350 2014 CLA 45
Originally Posted by NickZag
There is a moisture sensor in the air box somewhere. Thats what the dealer told me anyway. I could see it activating if the pressure washer was pushing too much water in the airbox. He warned me that could happen in a car wash.
sound like it is right, both of the time the engine off when the car wash blower was on.
Old 02-16-2010, 08:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

02 CLK 55 AMG,09 C63 loaded with P30
For washing my car in the cold. I go to the self service car wash where there is a bay. It doesnt matter how cold its outside. I just rinse and wipe down.
Old 02-16-2010, 10:57 PM

right, and i don't understand how you do it... way too cold for me... also considering by the time i get out of work, the suns down... so even colder.
I used warm water in a bucket. Not too bad and I had to clean the car!!! Love it when its clean and seem to get an extra 2-3 MPG
Old 02-16-2010, 11:21 PM

c63 amg
Originally Posted by yooker
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLIGQ...eature=related

Optimum No Rinse

You don't even need a hose so you can wash the entire car in the garage.
I think doing that would scratch my car badly.

Maybe if my car is semi-dirty, but when youre facing winter dirt, definitely no touch car wash.
Old 02-16-2010, 11:28 PM

Originally Posted by Oliverk
lol, ok.

Using something like M105 will hardly cause a dent in the nano clear on a modern MB.
That is some good cut, but it's a very agressive one. A PTG will definitely show you that it takes off just as much as any other cut, it's just very fast at doing so and so you can clear defects off quicker than with other cuts.
Old 02-16-2010, 11:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

a durr
Originally Posted by c63canada
I think doing that would scratch my car badly.

Maybe if my car is semi-dirty, but when youre facing winter dirt, definitely no touch car wash.
If your car is extremely dirty, just go to a local coin-op and use the pressure washer to get rid of most of the grit before heading home to ONR it.
Old 02-17-2010, 11:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'10 C63
Originally Posted by sjhugh
Check this site out for some ideas.

http://www.carcareproducts.com.au/products/mint?page=3

I know it’s an Aussie site but these types of products and brands are available everywhere. See page 2 of the Mint section for waffle weave drying towels. Synthetic Chamois kills the finish. The Mint Microfibre Super Plush Cloths have to be experienced to be believed. They are amazingly soft compared to store microfibre bought items.

As far as having someone do machine correction on your swirls, I use a paint thickness gauge on all my cars and I can tell you, your finish won’t last 15 years if use this method to keep the paint looking good. You are better off washing the car correctly using the right products. Do it right and you will find that the swirls are kept to a minium and the shine will last. It’s also a good idea to use a paint sealer for added protection, something like Optimum Opti-Seal, it’s just a wipe on application with no buffing off needed.

http://www.carcareproducts.com.au/products/optimum

it's so hard to choose something. saw on another detail site that had products made by cobra and this site has mint products.

i just want a wash mitt or 2, a few drying towels/waffle weave or whatever, and a brush thing for the wheels that i've seen. perhaps some brand names i can stick with and i'll go that route.

thanks for the info, i'll research into these Mint products.
Old 02-17-2010, 09:32 PM

blujae, left you a PM
Old 02-17-2010, 09:51 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
2011 GLK 350, 2013 GT-R, & 2013 RAM 1500
while you guys were shopping I handed my keys to my detailer.

Just sayin' . . .

Old 02-18-2010, 09:21 AM

C63 AMG, BMW 135i

There are some very good detailers out there and some real shockers

I detail my own cars, that way I know exactly what I’m getting. I’m a big Menzerna and Dodo Juice fan.

And they say white doesn’t shine.

Old 02-18-2010, 06:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2009 C63
When I leased my black range rover sport Id take it to a hand car wash that used chamois to dry but it still swirled- but since I bought the black C63 I prefer to do it on my own.

Key being micro-fiber drying cloths. In the winter it gets pretty bad, but the first day over 45 degrees I wash it.

Im happy to say I have hardly any swirl marks yet..but inevitable I know.
Old 02-18-2010, 08:29 PM

no more AMG
There are some very good detailers out there and some real shockers

I detail my own cars, that way I know exactly what I’m getting. I’m a big Menzerna and Dodo Juice fan.

Is that a Vauxhall?
Old 02-18-2010, 08:43 PM

C63 AMG, BMW 135i
Originally Posted by NickZag
Is that a Vauxhall?

No mate, it’s a GM Holden SSV Commodore Ute (utility), sold only in Australia and New Zealand. Though there were plans to export it to the US as a Pontiac until the economic downturn put a stop to it.

Old 02-19-2010, 02:14 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'09 C63 AMG, '10 ML350 4Matic
Originally Posted by PatSC23
When I leased my black range rover sport Id take it to a hand car wash that used chamois to dry but it still swirled- but since I bought the black C63 I prefer to do it on my own.

Key being micro-fiber drying cloths. In the winter it gets pretty bad, but the first day over 45 degrees I wash it.

Im happy to say I have hardly any swirl marks yet..but inevitable I know.
Yeah, agree 100%...have had black for a year, and microfiber keeps swirls away...I use the microfiber shammy to get heavy water off, then first microcloth to get light water off, then second microcloth to dry/polish...only slight swirling was from a microcloth I dropped that got grit on it...thought I got it all off but I didn't.

You can also use the polishing clothes as the final, but they don't do good with water-removal, so it needs to be pretty dry first.

Do NOT use terrycloth towels or mits...they will swirl the crap out of the finish.

Also, be careful/weary of the dust brushes...people forget they are swirling the surface just to get dust off...again, use a damp microfiber first, and follow with a dry micro to polish up.
Old 02-19-2010, 07:46 AM

no more AMG
No mate, it’s a GM Holden SSV Commodore Ute (utility), sold only in Australia and New Zealand. Though there were plans to export it to the US as a Pontiac until the economic downturn put a stop to it.

I think Australia gets the best GM products. Thats a sweet looking ride.