Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Go Fast Parts via MHP

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-26-2010, 01:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C63 AMG
So, I discovered something today with this new set up: It is quite risky driving through the gears in Manual mode at WOT.

Why?

For one, the car now goes to redline quicker than any car I've ever been in, especially if it's a short gear (duh), like 1st. With that in mind, you'd have to read and react quickly while in said short gear, i.e. frantically switching your attention between the road in front of you (and other cars) and watching the tach so that you can shift at the appropriate time. And in cases where you'd have to consider other drivers around your periphery, it'd be dangerous if you can't shift in time and the car "stalls" a bit once you past redline.

Case in point: today, I was breaking my car in, driving in low volume traffic with the closest car a good 20 car-lengths in front of me. I downshifted to 3rd and floored it. As I was going through the rpms, I passed by a Beemer that was merging into the lane next to me. Of course, I was focusing my attention on him so that I can react to anything out of the ordinary. Before I knew it, my car jerked a violent shudder and I looked down and shifted immediately after seeing that the tach needle was past redline.

Next time, I'll just use S-mode on the streets and leave Manual mode for the drags or something. I'm sure the tranny can shift much faster than I can ever do.
Old 02-26-2010, 09:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
2014 Audi RS7
Originally Posted by avengerboater
So, I discovered something today with this new set up: It is quite risky driving through the gears in Manual mode at WOT.

Why?

For one, the car now goes to redline quicker than any car I've ever been in, especially if it's a short gear (duh), like 1st. With that in mind, you'd have to read and react quickly while in said short gear, i.e. frantically switching your attention between the road in front of you (and other cars) and watching the tach so that you can shift at the appropriate time. And in cases where you'd have to consider other drivers around your periphery, it'd be dangerous if you can't shift in time and the car "stalls" a bit once you past redline.

Case in point: today, I was breaking my car in, driving in low volume traffic with the closest car a good 20 car-lengths in front of me. I downshifted to 3rd and floored it. As I was going through the rpms, I passed by a Beemer that was merging into the lane next to me. Of course, I was focusing my attention on him so that I can react to anything out of the ordinary. Before I knew it, my car jerked a violent shudder and I looked down and shifted immediately after seeing that the tach needle was past redline.

Next time, I'll just use S-mode on the streets and leave Manual mode for the drags or something. I'm sure the tranny can shift much faster than I can ever do.
Well, the real question is, "are you enjoying it"??
Old 02-26-2010, 12:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'15 VW GTI
Of course, I was focusing my attention on him so that I can react to anything out of the ordinary. Before I knew it, my car jerked a violent shudder and I looked down and shifted immediately after seeing that the tach needle was past redline.
That's why I almost never use M. It would be nice if this car had a shift light like in my STi or HUD maybe? I "oversped" my STi a few times and each time felt like the engine had died.

If I want to run it to redline before shifting automatically, I simply hold the downshift paddle in for about half a second, then it's good to go. I forget the technical term for that..
Old 02-26-2010, 12:26 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
07 RS4 sold, R53 Cooper S, 2008 Cayman S, 2012 GTR
Originally Posted by miami1lt
So if that is the only ECU difference, perhaps Kleemann would be willing to offer a very cheap upgrade...most of the K2 upgrade costs come from the headers, etc...

Cory, what would it cost to send an ECU back for an O2 sensor delete (w/o shipping of course)?
Cost is $100 for upgrade from the K1 to the K2 file.
Old 02-26-2010, 12:35 PM

C63 AMG
Originally Posted by Dads C63
Well, the real question is, "are you enjoying it"??
The answer is an unequivocal YES!
Old 02-26-2010, 01:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
2014 Audi RS7
The answer is an unequivocal YES!
It only gets better. Hypothetically speaking when you destroy someone on the street they really want to know what in the heck you have done to the car: turbo's, S/C, or nitrous. Then you smile and say, headers and a tune, thank you.
Old 02-26-2010, 06:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
C55
I see your point, but keep in mind that if the vendor polishes the headers to a crazy shine, like the one in the pic, that would increase cost and that cost would be undoubtedly pass on to the buyer and reflected in the selling price. The headers are great to look at, for sure...but if it's tucked in the engine bay that's tighter than spandex, I'd rather it not be polished and save some $$$.
That is absolutely true. You can only see maybe 3/4 of the top half of the headers and nothing else.

Cant wait to hear your car and the other c63's with headers tomorrow!

I was thinking of getting CLS55 next but man...I think i'm still young enough to enjoy a nimble BEAST like the c63!
Old 02-28-2010, 12:23 AM

C63 AMG
Dyno results are in:

Fourth gear pulls:

• 455.04 RWHP / 415.88 RWTQ (A/F of 13.20 @ 6000 RPM)
  • 451.25 RWHP / 410.32 RWTQ (A/F of 12.98 @ 6000 RPM)

Fifth gear pulls:

• 465.95 RWHP / 430.07 RWTQ (A/F of 13.38 @ 6000 RPM)
  • 465.67 RWHP / 428.58 RWTQ (A/F of 13.13 @ 6000 RPM)

More data, dyno charts, and info here: https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w...ml#post3961151

Old 02-28-2010, 01:40 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'09 C63 AMG, '10 ML350 4Matic
Dyno results are in:

Fourth gear pulls:

• 455.04 RWHP / 415.88 RWTQ (A/F of 13.20 @ 6000 RPM)
  • 451.25 RWHP / 410.32 RWTQ (A/F of 12.98 @ 6000 RPM)
Fifth gear pulls:

• 465.95 RWHP / 430.07 RWTQ (A/F of 13.38 @ 6000 RPM)
  • 465.67 RWHP / 428.58 RWTQ (A/F of 13.13 @ 6000 RPM)
More data, dyno charts, and info here: https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w...ml#post3961151

Great results!!! I got 400whp at SAE 5 with just my K1...so looks like with another ECU tune and some LT's...it is easy to pick up another 50+...awesome...how's the sound with the high-flow cats? Saw there is about a 10whp difference, but to dampen the sound just a bit, it may be worth the loss--living on a military installation, I don't need to draw any more attention in a car than absolutely necessary.
Old 02-28-2010, 01:46 PM

C63 AMG
Originally Posted by miami1lt
Great results!!! I got 400whp at SAE 5 with just my K1...so looks like with another ECU tune and some LT's...it is easy to pick up another 50+...awesome...how's the sound with the high-flow cats? Saw there is about a 10whp difference, but to dampen the sound just a bit, it may be worth the loss--living on a military installation, I don't need to draw any more attention in a car than absolutely necessary.

The sound of high-flow primaries vs. catless is noticeable. However, even with the high-flow primaries, the car is STILL loud. So, you might as well go catless to maximize the LT's potential.