perfect upshifting points

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-18-2010, 10:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Supercharged E92 M3
perfect upshifting points

Hey guys!

I am just wondering on this tranny was is the best upshifting point? and what is the best mode to be in.

I mean I have driven my buddies C63 and it seems that off 1st when the dash flashes red its a good time to shift. But when after that it seem different.

can you anyone shed some light on this?
Old 03-18-2010, 10:43 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2021 Taycan Turbo, 2018 Radical SR3, 2021 Lincoln Aviator
Historically was anyone able to beat the Sport shifting mode on a straight line? (1/4 mile, etc)

I'm so suprised how well the car shifts in Sport mode under hard acceleration. I did a 0-60 start with my friend (a car buff) and he said to me: "did we just got from 0-60 in 1st gear?!" I mentionned the car shifted but we don't feel the upshifts, that's how great the transmission is...

I don't see how you can be as efficient as the auto transmission in a straight line. However, with road curves and race tracks the paddle shifting can be very useful!

If anyone does have the best shifting points let us know =)
Old 03-18-2010, 06:55 PM

Supercharged E92 M3
That is some great info!

how about when your in a comparo run form 50mph and up ? still the sport mode is the best?

I have heard that if turning off the traction control can be of a great help.
but then again I am not 100% sure.
Old 03-19-2010, 01:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
C63 AMG
Originally Posted by chief63
Historically was anyone able to beat the Sport shifting mode on a straight line? (1/4 mile, etc)

I'm so suprised how well the car shifts in Sport mode under hard acceleration. I did a 0-60 start with my friend (a car buff) and he said to me: "did we just got from 0-60 in 1st gear?!" I mentionned the car shifted but we don't feel the upshifts, that's how great the transmission is...

I don't see how you can be as efficient as the auto transmission in a straight line. However, with road curves and race tracks the paddle shifting can be very useful!

If anyone does have the best shifting points let us know =)
Jump into a BMW with Steptronic and you would wish the C63 came with Steptronic. The BMW Steptronic is far faster than the AMG shifting on the C63.
I have a VW with DSG and is also faster than the C63 AMG. I was honestly hoping for a better transmission(faster shifts). I think the AMG is very smooth and sily and I am sure it can handle a lot of torque but honestly it is slugish.

As per your friend "not feeling" when the car was shifting is just an exageration. I can understand the 0-60 coming fast but not "knowing" when the car is shifting is non sense to me. You can always hear the tone of the engine changing rpms when shifting..
Old 03-19-2010, 02:01 AM

C63
I've had an A3 with DSG and agree with C63newdude that the DSG is faster -- having two clutches and prepared gear engagement helps. But the C63 has much better shift programming and won't upshift on its own. I haven't been able to shift better than the 63's S mode.

Also, I don't know about the rest of you but with S mode I can definitely feel the hard shift points. Are the rest of you not sensing it that much?
Old 03-19-2010, 03:37 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'09 C63 AMG, '10 ML350 4Matic
Originally Posted by maximooz
I've had an A3 with DSG and agree with C63newdude that the DSG is faster -- having two clutches and prepared gear engagement helps. But the C63 has much better shift programming and won't upshift on its own. I haven't been able to shift better than the 63's S mode.

Also, I don't know about the rest of you but with S mode I can definitely feel the hard shift points. Are the rest of you not sensing it that much?
Agree...wouldn't call S-mode shifts "smooth" or "soft"...you can definitely feel it shift.

I've had a few rare occasions where I felt I shifted faster in "M"...the problem is that you have to click it a second before you want to shift...while it shifts 30% faster than "S", that isn't from the time you pull the paddle, it's the actual changing of the gears that's faster. For the most part, I use "S" off the line, but "M" if I want to race from a set speed...you don't always get the kick down you want in "S" (ie. it'll only drop to 3rd when it could have gone to 2nd).

On a side note, I punched it the other day in "C" (didn't know I was in comfort), and on the highway, it took FOREVER to shift...I know it is supposed to, but I was like What the HELL!...then I looked down and saw that big "C" staring at me...WHOOPS...you can definitely feel how slow that is compared to S or M.
Old 03-19-2010, 04:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'13 CLS63 PP
I rarely use "C" mode but I fell more comfortable on this mode, but "S" I use it for racing and all time I can fell sound louder than "C" mode.
"M" mode is different than the other modes shifting and sound ... that what I can fell on my car

But I don't know about perfect upshifting ..
Old 03-19-2010, 05:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

a durr
Someone needs to data log the shift speed of the 7Gtronic transmission with something like a VBOX to calculate the gap.
Old 03-19-2010, 09:54 AM

2021 Taycan Turbo, 2018 Radical SR3, 2021 Lincoln Aviator
Originally Posted by C63newdude
Jump into a BMW with Steptronic and you would wish the C63 came with Steptronic. The BMW Steptronic is far faster than the AMG shifting on the C63.
I have a VW with DSG and is also faster than the C63 AMG. I was honestly hoping for a better transmission(faster shifts). I think the AMG is very smooth and sily and I am sure it can handle a lot of torque but honestly it is slugish.

As per your friend "not feeling" when the car was shifting is just an exageration. I can understand the 0-60 coming fast but not "knowing" when the car is shifting is non sense to me. You can always hear the tone of the engine changing rpms when shifting..
What I meant was that he found the acceleration was extremely linear, you can hear the engine but can barely feel the shifts at all when stomping, at least from 0-60. Accelerating from let's 30-60 is different because if you stomp the gas you'll definitely feel the car taking a deep breath than plunging...

Last edited by chief63; 03-19-2010 at 10:09 AM.
Old 03-19-2010, 02:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
I also had a '07 GTI with DSG and that was an awesome trans.
Old 03-19-2010, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by chief63
What I meant was that he found the acceleration was extremely linear, you can hear the engine but can barely feel the shifts at all when stomping, at least from 0-60. Accelerating from let's 30-60 is different because if you stomp the gas you'll definitely feel the car taking a deep breath than plunging...

True...I used "C" mode today on the way to work just to see...I was on the AMG screen watching the shift numbers...it literally went from 5-6-7 without any feeling of a shift whatsoever...in S-mode, that doesn't always happen.

As far as optimum shifting, "S" is the best..."M" is ok if you time it right, but takes way too much work to drive and make sure you click by 6.4-6.6K RPMs...if you don't hit it then, you'll hit rev limiter...

And even when I've hit rev-limiter in "S", it keeps plowing quickly into the next gear once it shifts.

Now if only I could launch...my best time using the timer in the AMG menu is 4.67s to 60mph...I know the car is capable of much faster...I just can't seem to feather the throttle the right way.
Old 03-19-2010, 06:01 PM

C63
How do you all like how the transmission reacts with downshifts? I've can sense the car jolting a bit when switching between gears as I let off the throttle and just have the car slow down on its own. Do any of you get that?
Old 03-19-2010, 08:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

02 CLK 55 AMG,09 C63 loaded with P30
In manual mode perfect shift point is when the upshift light gets on. When I ran my friends e63 he was in sport mode and I was in manual mode I pulled on him topend. Go figure. Both our cars are stock except his e63 charcoals delete.
Old 03-20-2010, 01:40 AM

Originally Posted by maximooz
How do you all like how the transmission reacts with downshifts? I've can sense the car jolting a bit when switching between gears as I let off the throttle and just have the car slow down on its own. Do any of you get that?
Well, the little jolt is the throttle blipping...it rev matches, but if you are slowing down enough, it'll jolt you...I've never had an automatic car that you can downshift coming to a light and it actually slows down to near a stop...I love that.

Overall, it is a great tranny.

One thing I don't like is sitting at a stop light and cycling from "M" to "S"..because you have to cross "C" which puts it into 2nd gear and gives a clunky jolt...I wish you could get "C" out of the mix, like in the E where "M" is in the middle of a selector know...not a push button.
Old 03-20-2010, 01:51 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
M5, C63, 335Ci
Originally Posted by C63newdude

Please tell me you are referring to the M-DCT trans and not the typical BMW auto with steptronic. The AMG trans is light years ahead of the steptronic, but no where close to as fast as the DCT.
Old 03-20-2010, 07:29 AM

Supercharged E92 M3
I think I might have to get my buddy out and do some real world runs.