Another ticket

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-21-2010, 04:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 SL55, 2010 C63
Originally Posted by kwikblkmax
This is the most absurd thing i've heard, Number 1: It's illegal to have more than one license. Number 2: The international license, is a complete scam, where as if you are visiting a country, and you rent a car, you must have your license and your passport in order to drive, Number 3: Cops have this little thing called a computer with a system called NCIC, if they run your name and date of birth, your true identity and sometimes a picture will come up and the status is displayed.
You can risk getting arrested and having your car towed away for fraudulent documents... People don't try to fool the cops, they'll always win, sometimes aknowledging what you did and a bit of a sense of humor may get you out of that ticket, or at least get you a no points ticket.
1. It's legal to drive with an international license because I do not hold an American passport. I do have an American license but it's not required to show the officer.
2. I have a copy of my passport in my wallet alone with my international license.
3. The international license is only valid for an year and whenever you apply for a new one the number on it changes. The police can check my record but as long as I have a valid license I can still drive the car.

It's just a little trick that a lot of international students use and I'm just trying to share my experience.
Old 05-21-2010, 09:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

See Sig
Originally Posted by mbe3504matic
I take it to the track LOL.
So you never speed? What moving violation did the PBA card get you out of then? (Multiplple times)

https://mbworld.org/forums/4080905-post21.html

Originally Posted by mbe3504matic
Next time get a PBA shield and PBA family members cards and you will be fine. It has saved me alot of times. matter of fact, more times then i can remember.

Again...

Last edited by propain; 05-21-2010 at 09:07 AM.
Old 05-25-2010, 10:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2017 Mini Cooper S Clubman ALL4 - British Racing Green
International drivers licenses are a joke, and no longer required. The US will honor most other countries valid drivers license, and vice versa, I have used my VA and MD drivers licenses in the past (not at the same time obviously) in Africa, and Europe. When you use them, they link them to your passport or visa (depending on whether or not the country of destination requires a visa), and my sister (before we moved back to the US), used her South African drivers license in PA through to NY when she used rental cars.

More to the point, these are the requirements/rules for an international driving permit.

An International Driving Permit (IDP) translates information contained on your driver's license into 10 languages so that officials in foreign countries are able to interpret your license. An IDP supplements a valid government-issued license--it does not serve as a replacement for a license. If you are stopped by law enforcement, you will most likely be asked to produce both your IDP and your official driver's license. The United States does NOT issue International Driving Permits to foreign visitors, so you will need to obtain this document before traveling to the U.S.

And lastly (of which the person who got an IDP is breaking the law)

The U.S. government has issued warnings about Internet vendors of worthless international driver's licenses/permits. It is important to educate yourself about the dangers of these costly and illegal operations. See International Driver's License Warning from Federal Trade Commission.
Old 05-25-2010, 01:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

See Sig
Originally Posted by jvanbrecht
International drivers licenses are a joke, and no longer required. The US will honor most other countries valid drivers license, and vice versa, I have used my VA and MD drivers licenses in the past (not at the same time obviously) in Africa, and Europe. When you use them, they link them to your passport or visa (depending on whether or not the country of destination requires a visa), and my sister (before we moved back to the US), used her South African drivers license in PA through to NY when she used rental cars.

More to the point, these are the requirements/rules for an international driving permit.

An International Driving Permit (IDP) translates information contained on your driver's license into 10 languages so that officials in foreign countries are able to interpret your license. An IDP supplements a valid government-issued license--it does not serve as a replacement for a license. If you are stopped by law enforcement, you will most likely be asked to produce both your IDP and your official driver's license. The United States does NOT issue International Driving Permits to foreign visitors, so you will need to obtain this document before traveling to the U.S.

And lastly (of which the person who got an IDP is breaking the law)

The U.S. government has issued warnings about Internet vendors of worthless international driver's licenses/permits. It is important to educate yourself about the dangers of these costly and illegal operations. See International Driver's License Warning from Federal Trade Commission.
http://www.usa.gov/Topics/Foreign_Vi..._Driving.shtml
Old 05-25-2010, 02:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2017 Mini Cooper S Clubman ALL4 - British Racing Green

Um, not sure what point your making, that is the site I got my info from, I supposed I could have posted the link, if thats what your doing, or are youg trying to make an opposing point to my statement... I am confused slightly..
Old 05-26-2010, 02:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SLK230 '98 CLK500 '06

i having trouble believeing you have a CL65 because you sure dont sound like somebody who owns a quarter million dollar car...
i take the pinto as your real ride
just sayin'