Sponsored by:

GT PRO Double X-Pipe Installed

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-14-2010, 12:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
c63, prius
Originally Posted by miami1lt
My favorite part is my kid sticking his head out the window at the climax.
+1
Old 05-31-2010, 03:15 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'09 C63 AMG, '10 ML350 4Matic
A couple of new Vids with the Double X pipe...sorry for all the tire noise...but listen to the quick rev/pop in the 2nd video....I love it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4ko97srwaM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqXTgPVMIJQ

And a switchback run with an M3 and 335i...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yN8KPlYIWT8

we didn't push it too hard...rule of thumb, though, was that the 335 and I (autos) obviously had to use breaking and auto downshifts into bends, so we were slower than the M3, and the M3 would pull away from the 335...but I was easily able to pull away, or back up to both of them...the guy in the M3 said this, "I could make some slight gains behind you in the turns, but as soon as you got traction out of the bend, you put 3-4 car lengths on me and kept pulling."

Oh, and at about 30 secs in the video, the road got uneven as I was accelrating, which caused me to start sliding sideways while doing about 40-50mph...it was fun, but I was SLIGHTLY underwhelmed by the C63 in the turns...case in point. The M3 guy said one time he was behind me, when I took the bend, my rear left tire was about 6" off the ground for about 2-3 secs, and could see it spinning freely. I am a little concerned that it happened, as I would to have thought the back end would have slid around, not come off the ground. Wish I had video of that.

Last edited by miami1lt; 05-31-2010 at 10:44 AM.
Old 05-31-2010, 04:13 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
AMG
Originally Posted by Even Money
Is the double x pipe overkill? Would a single x(sec cat delete) and straight thru, vibrant type resonators(stock resonator delete) be as good/better?
Double X-pipe is overkill, X-pipe + straight pipes will give you pretty much the same gains.

Only way double X-pipe could in theory give you more power is via resonance tuning but even then thats very hard & expensive to try and tune and the distance between the Xs would in theory play a big factor, and even if it did show gains, they would be marginal and only in very specific narrow rpm ranges. Now... it may in theory help smoothen out the sound more, but as far as power its a moot point.

Basically just get on X and do straight pipes.
Old 05-31-2010, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by AMS Performance
Double X-pipe is overkill, X-pipe + straight pipes will give you pretty much the same gains.

Only way double X-pipe could in theory give you more power is via resonance tuning but even then thats very hard & expensive to try and tune and the distance between the Xs would in theory play a big factor, and even if it did show gains, they would be marginal and only in very specific narrow rpm ranges. Now... it may in theory help smoothen out the sound more, but as far as power its a moot point.

Basically just get on X and do straight pipes.
I wouldn't say overkill...I would say unnecessary perhaps, but overkill means TOO much. The double-X setup isn't too much.

Besides, the fit from GT PRO is absolutely perfect when coupled with the Single X...you may be able to get an exhaust shop to cut some straight pipes, but they will have to make some bends to fit to the Single X (either at the front or back end, as the single x coming into the center a little more narrow than at the tailpipes...

FWIW, the noise and setup is perfect...I'm sure you could get a decent straight pipe setup...but double x is NOT overkill.
Old 05-31-2010, 12:55 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

AMG
why stop at 2 ... why not get 3
Old 05-31-2010, 03:24 PM

The argument about straight vs. x-pipes has been going on for a while. I haven't heard another vehicle with either just the Single-X or a Single-X w/ straights to the tips. I have heard Superlubes car in videos, and it sounds similar to mine (with just a single-x).

I guess it is a preference on how to remove the resonator and what to replace it with...but how do you figure that replacing the resonator section with a straight-pipe is any better than with an X-pipe?

If you are talking cost, well then I'm sure you (and I) could punch holes in a lot of products being offered around here. For a couple hundred, the 2nd Xpipe was a nice replacement for the resonators. The sound and quality exceeded the expectations based on cost alone.

Are you marketing a straight-pipe? That would make sense.
Old 05-31-2010, 08:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
The M3 guy said one time he was behind me, when I took the bend, my rear left tire was about 6" off the ground for about 2-3 secs, and could see it spinning freely. I am a little concerned that it happened, as I would to have thought the back end would have slid around, not come off the ground. Wish I had video of that.
I think I just saw Jacob.....

Seriously, 2-3 seconds is a LONG time. BTW-who is holding the camera?

Are you marketing a straight-pipe? That would make sense.
I'm waiting for AMS to fabricate some headers. We need more competition!

Last edited by Sincity; 05-31-2010 at 08:36 PM.
Old 05-31-2010, 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by Sincity
I think I just saw Jacob.....

Seriously, 2-3 seconds is a LONG time. BTW-who is holding the camera?

I'm waiting for AMS to fabricate some headers. We need more competition!
Who's Jacob?

Yeah, it is a long time...he said it was at least 6" off the ground going around a hard left that went uphill...and it lasted from just after I entered the turn until just after I left it...he said he could see the wheel still spinning, which makes sense since I don't have a LSD...the wheel off the ground would spin freely...I don't think the cambering if our front wheels do much good going into tight turns...the wheels undercut too much...there was also a lot of wear on the outsides of my front tires (not the backs at all)

Good question on the camera...I think you know the answer...and that is why I was taking it a bit "easy" and not pressing either car up front much. My wife offered next time to go do the camera work, but I'm actively working a camera mount that hooks onto the rear right headrest.
BTW, since I know there will be some haters...we drove for about 40 mins, and I only video'd that small portion...I acknowledge it wasn't the safest practice, and that is why I took it pretty easy during that period, and then put it away. Wasn't worth it to hurt somebody else (or self)

On the headers, agree...I think Superlube was working something that was headers down to GT PRO X-pipe...with either high-flow or primary cat delete...hoping something comes out soon.

Last edited by miami1lt; 05-31-2010 at 08:46 PM.
Old 05-31-2010, 09:50 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

C63 AMG Arctic w/ Stage 1 Tune, DoubleXX pipe, MCD-631X coming soon
That was completely unnecessary and rude...I have not come out to attack you or your products, why are you here talking about our product that you have never touched and giving our customer a hard time??
Old 05-31-2010, 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by Brian GT PRO
That was completely unnecessary and rude...I have not come out to attack you or your products, why are you here talking about our product that you have never touched and giving our customer a hard time??
Never fear, my friend...your products speak for themselves...did you hear the X-pipes bellowing their way through the mountain twisties of Oahu? And if it makes you feel any better, I've never heard of AMS...just a signature block to me (and will likely stay that way).

BTW, what's the status on the Header - X1? I know you are working something.
Old 06-01-2010, 08:23 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Never fear, my friend...your products speak for themselves...did you hear the X-pipes bellowing their way through the mountain twisties of Oahu? And if it makes you feel any better, I've never heard of AMS...just a signature block to me (and will likely stay that way).

BTW, what's the status on the Header - X1? I know you are working something.
Thanks man!! MUCH appreciated!!

We have the LT headers worked out, the first set on my car. The second set I sold to a guy here on MBW (who is going to start a bash thread soon). Everything was worked out, and somehow one of the two welding fixtures that holds the collectors in place got bent (no one is admitting to it but I know someone must have dropped it), and no one knew it had happend, the headers were built to the exact jig pattern, and customer picked up. The install day we found out that one of the collectors was off about 10 degrees. I offered to get it corrected, whatever it took to make it right. By looking at his pics I knew something was wrong, I rushed over to the production house to see what was going on. Since the only other known good set was on my car we got under the car immediately started taking measurements, and comparing against the welding fixtures, we found the issue. Guy asks for his money back, I agree, no problem, our fault, but if he would agree I would like to make it right so, I offered a set of replacement headers and my shop would do the install for free, and rent him a car for his trouble. He again declined, said, he was done with us and our "poorly constructed products" we gave him a full refund, and $55.00 to go have a meal on us as a gesture of good will. I then get an e-mail saying he's going to start a thread to bash...wow..you just can't please everyone I guess.??
Old 06-01-2010, 08:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
2009 C63
I let you know out of courtesy I was going to post about our experience. No hard feelings over here, just business. Please don't spam my thread https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w...ian-gtpro.html to page 2. thanks
Old 06-01-2010, 09:00 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Originally Posted by chubbs032
I let you know out of courtesy I was going to post about our experience. No hard feelings over here, just business. Please don't spam my thread https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w...ian-gtpro.html to page 2. thanks
I disagree, you emailed me a few minutes before you posted, I hardly call that courtesy..You say no hard feelings, but again I disagree, it's not just business, you make statements that are not 100% factual, and an assumption that I will spam your thread?? Highly unprofessional, and very personal.

Last edited by Brian GT PRO; 06-01-2010 at 09:03 PM.
Old 06-01-2010, 09:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2009 C63
I disagree, you emailed me a few minutes before you posted, I hardly call that courtesy..You say no hard feelings, but again I disagree, it's not just business, you make statements that are not 100% factual, and an assumption that I will spam your thread?? Highly unprofessional, and very personal.
The email was sent 45mins, either way who cares. The point was to let you know that the post was being made when it was rather than someone else telling you. Post was coming regardless.

Which statement's weren't factual?

I say don't spam my thread because you have done it before I believe last November? when someone else posted a poor encounter. I only speak from experience and 100% facts.
Old 06-01-2010, 09:28 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

The email was sent 45mins, either way who cares. The point was to let you know that the post was being made when it was rather than someone else telling you. Post was coming regardless.

Which statement's weren't factual?

I say don't spam my thread because you have done it before I believe last November? when someone else posted a poor encounter. I only speak from experience and 100% facts.
and hijacking someone elses thread to do your dirty work?? real nice...as far as facts, read YOUR thread, and you will see, stop hijacking someone elses thread...
Old 06-01-2010, 09:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2009 C63
Look at post #86, I believe that has your name mentioning everything in my post.
So who is the hijacker?

Dirty work? So posting a factual event with a sponsor is now dirty work if it doesn't end up as a good review?

Looks like your ego is hurting.
Old 06-01-2010, 09:40 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Look at post #86, I believe that has your name mentioning everything in my post.
So who is the hijacker?

Dirty work? So posting a factual event with a sponsor is now dirty work if it doesn't end up as a good review?

Looks like your ego is hurting.

LOL, you obviously don't take the time to read do you? I posted this WELL before posting to your thread..why? because miamilt1 asked me a question point blank, and I responded to him, along with a simple story about the LT's he just asked about. BUT you INSIST on being a child and re-posting a hijack again.
Old 06-02-2010, 03:27 AM

Ladies, ladies...please

I know you guys are upset...but seriously...this is clearly a 2-sided issue.

Chubbs didn't like the quality of work (and probably 7 hours of unproductive ***-pain)...and Brian offered the best solution I've ever heard (full refund plus dinner, or full replacement with free install).

Both of you are right in what you did (ie. you both did what you thought was right at the time), but neither of you are right in the way you are acting out.

Chubbs, good report on what you saw, but you definitely aren't giving any credit for a decent business offer...free install covers your "cost" to James.

Brian, what you did was perfect...offered a full refund or full/free install...but you don't need to get into a pissing contest with an unhappy customer.

I think you guys both need to agree to disagree on this one...from the other responses I've read, nobody is backing either of you, they're backing both of you...A strong member and a good sponsor.

Anyway, I hope we can all get along and try to get back to the issue at hand, which are the LT headers and mid-pipes...Brian, sounds like you are having the team work on correcting design flaws...that's what it's all about. Keep me posted please on what they work out...and cost as well (PM is fine). Thanks.
Old 06-02-2010, 06:58 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

AMG
Brian, it was a joke. lol

Everyone needs to take a chill pill and relax. Never did I ever say x-pipes were bad (in fact if you remember correctly I promoted your X-pipes in another thread). We were the ones that promoted X-pipes first in the AMG community years ago when we started doing dyno comparisons proving they worked back on the W210 E55s AMGs, so you are preaching to the choir Brian. They work hands down, but putting in multiple is not necessary. Please do not take every post so seriously

AMS does not market/sell X-pipes or straight pipes, we'd rather pass on the savings to the consumer by letting them purchase it elsewhere, its not worth making a few bucks, simply not worth our time. They do however perform extremely well with the AMS headers which is why we recommend them as they improve high rpm airflow while also minimize annoying resonance/droning when compared to straight pipes. So for those saying we have some monetary gain by promoting or marketing either option... we don't (same goes true for high flow cats, we don't make a dime off of them yet we do recommend them as they also greatly improve exhaust flow in conjunction with our headers & x-pipes).

Thx,
~AMS~
Old 06-03-2010, 04:59 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Thank you, I sincerely appreciate your response, and clarification!! Good day to you!

Brian, it was a joke. lol

Everyone needs to take a chill pill and relax. Never did I ever say x-pipes were bad (in fact if you remember correctly I promoted your X-pipes in another thread). We were the ones that promoted X-pipes first in the AMG community years ago when we started doing dyno comparisons proving they worked back on the W210 E55s AMGs, so you are preaching to the choir Brian. They work hands down, but putting in multiple is not necessary. Please do not take every post so seriously

AMS does not market/sell X-pipes or straight pipes, we'd rather pass on the savings to the consumer by letting them purchase it elsewhere, its not worth making a few bucks, simply not worth our time. They do however perform extremely well with the AMS headers which is why we recommend them as they improve high rpm airflow while also minimize annoying resonance/droning when compared to straight pipes. So for those saying we have some monetary gain by promoting or marketing either option... we don't (same goes true for high flow cats, we don't make a dime off of them yet we do recommend them as they also greatly improve exhaust flow in conjunction with our headers & x-pipes).

Thx,
~AMS~
Old 06-03-2010, 11:19 PM

Good day to you!
Did you just tip your hat when you said that? I thought you were from California...since when do people in CA wish others a good day

On another note about the Double X, I have to have them checked this weekend...we did some switchback running (ala the video I posted), and on the way home, it was pouring...got into just a bit of water, nothing too high, but at least up to the pipes.

Got back home, thinking nothing of it. Went back out later after it dried up and it started and sounds strange...had my son with me and we listened...even at 5 yrs old, he could hear a strange "resonation" between 1000-1200 RPMs, almost a buzzing vibration. I'm speculating that was water caught in the pipe that was buzzing at a certain frequency of exhaust.

Turned it off at the store, got in, not really any problems the rest of the day (that I noticed)...

However, for the last week since that happened, the sounds is much more blotted sounding...I'm thinking I may have a small kink in it, or maybe one of the clamps came lose. Car still runs ok, but doesn't have that same Lambo love sound I came to enjoy.

I'll let you know what I find out...but I'm a little worried if it is more than a lose clamp. Can holes/cuts in the pipes just be welded shut, or will I need to have some more work done to it?
Old 06-03-2010, 11:26 PM

Disregard the "may" have taken in water....

I just went out, started it up, and looked under while pushing gas with hand...can see water leaking/spraying lightly from the connection between the front and back X-pipe...that is concerning because those pipes are just pushed together, if I remember...there isn't anything clamping at that spot. Wonder if I can seal them with something (after taking of and getting water out) that isn't permanent, incase I want to reinstall factory resonator, I don't have to remove entire double x.

Ouch, didn't realize the water was that bad, must have just bubbled up into it while I waded through.
Old 06-03-2010, 11:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 381 Likes on 237 Posts
2010 Irridium Silver MB C63 AMG Sedan
I am doing some research and looking at different services and vendors for this summer and possible projects. Any reason why when I go to GTPro website and look at bios an error page comes up (entire website is flash'd up but for some time no bios for some time now)? I would like to read more about the people behind GTPRO.

TIA
Old 06-03-2010, 11:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 A8L, 2002 996TT X50, 2009 X5
Originally Posted by ZephyrAMG
I am doing some research and looking at different services and vendors for this summer and possible projects. Any reason why when I go to GTPro website and look at bios an error page comes up (entire website is flash'd up but for some time no bios for some time now)? I would like to read more about the people behind GTPRO.

TIA
Usually google is pretty handy for vendor due diligence. "XYZ history" or "XYZ experiences" etc. and you typically get some useful data. Haven't tried it with these guys, however. As a curiosity, "people behind GTPRO" equals how many?
Old 06-04-2010, 12:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 381 Likes on 237 Posts
2010 Irridium Silver MB C63 AMG Sedan
Originally Posted by c32AMG-DTM
Usually google is pretty handy for vendor due diligence. "XYZ history" or "XYZ experiences" etc. and you typically get some useful data. Haven't tried it with these guys, however. As a curiosity, "people behind GTPRO" equals how many?
I am not saying everyone and their grandmother. You know exactly what I mean. The web site states "bios" and for the longest time there is just an error page. A consumer would like to put a face to the name and read on who they are as they do research thats all...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: GT PRO Double X-Pipe Installed