Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C63
do pp cars have this problem?
Old 04-12-2010, 09:04 PM

2010 C63
Originally Posted by dmyrick
do pp cars have this problem?
I don't know why they wouldn't. Other than the fins on the rear diff., the PP cars do not have any additional cooling vs. the non-PP cars.

However, I would like to point out that it seems this issue is relatively rare. My experience (others may have different experiences) is with a group from MB of Buckhead who spent full two days in Savannah GA last July in 100 degree heat, flogging about 20 cars -- including five C63s and a couple other 63's -- with very few issues. (One C63 went over 600 miles on track).

Two cars had problems: a 2.3-16v 190E and my C230 k (my SC kept shutting down on a relatively long straight due to engine temperatures). None of the 63 cars had any issues, and several of them were tuned.

In addition, I was at the NY auto show last week, and Tommy Kendall claims that the cars used in the AMG driving events are completely stock.
Old 04-12-2010, 09:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2013 Chevy 427 Torch Red
Originally Posted by LZH
The Black Series has a larger main radiator for the coolant, another for the power steering as well as an additional transmission cooler which are built into the left front wheel arch. The engine oil cooler is located in the right wheel arch. I had my front bumper off at one point and the car looks very much like a race car with barn door size radiators. But, we all know it is NOT a true race car, but better yet a street car that can handle track duty.

I would say that when my transmission kicked me out of M mode, I wasn't too surprised...it was very hot as I mentioned before, and I only know of a few other street legal cars that could have gone as long as I did without overheating something in those conditions. IIRC the track temp was in the 130's....So, I guess my point is that it's no wonder the C63's are having the same issues under even more favorable conditions as they are not setup to take the abuse that the Black Series can handle. Again, someone should looking into putting the CLK Black Series transmission cooler setup in to the C63. Im sure it would be an easy intall and you'd have all factory parts - the only thing I could see being an issue is fitment and space. You would probably have to have a few brackets custom made and perhaps move a few lines around.

To the OP - what was the ambient temp while you were running ? You cannot just "get more airflow" or use another trans fluid to keep this from happening. If you do plan on tracking your car more you REALLY need a larger transmission cooler or an additional one installed in the left bottom bumper cover as ATL MB suggested. If there is space there, that's what you should do.

Something like this:

http://www.streetperformance.com/par...-db-30216.html

Also, if your car has an ECU tune AND you are planning on headers and a pulley...I'd strongly suggest going with an additional trans cooler. Take a look at ths thread and you will see what I mean:

https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w...mea-culpa.html
After Josh's issues, I am surprised that the tuner world isn't all over the idea of adapting some of the CLK BS componants onto other platforms for owners that track their cars. Small price to pay in exchange for the added protection.
Old 04-12-2010, 09:51 PM
LZH
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLK 63 Black Series, 2009 S550, 2011 Range Rover Supercharged, BMW F800 GS Anniv Edition
Originally Posted by hhughes1
After Josh's issues, I am surprised that the tuner world isn't all over the idea of adapting some of the CLK BS componants onto other platforms for owners that track their cars. Small price to pay in exchange for the added protection.
Agree 100%. Cooling is the #1 reason for mechanical failures. However, and you can take this for what it's worth...the C63 was not really designed to be tracked. Sure, you can run it on the track. But don't be surprised when ***** starts to break. Really tracking a car is AMAZINGLY hard on every component...from tires, to brakes, to axles, transmissions, every part of the motor, suspension and steering - it's a brutal environment. Sure, it may be fun, but it's also EXPENSIVE.
Old 04-12-2010, 10:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2013 Chevy 427 Torch Red
Originally Posted by LZH
Agree 100%. Cooling is the #1 reason for mechanical failures. However, and you can take this for what it's worth...the C63 was not really designed to be tracked. Sure, you can run it on the track. But don't be surprised when ***** starts to break. Really tracking a car is AMAZINGLY hard on every component...from tires, to brakes, to axles, transmissions, every part of the motor, suspension and steering - it's a brutal environment. Sure, it may be fun, but it's also EXPENSIVE.
I hear you loud and clear. The C63 for me was a great way to get introduced to the track and have a great time passing all the other novice drivers out there. However with each track day it is clear that the stress on the car increases geometrically with driver experience and having a purpose built track car is a much better alternative for me. I still like the idea of incorporating in house MB parts if they would improve longevity of the motor or tranny.
Old 05-03-2010, 12:33 AM

2009 C63 AMG
I ran at the streets of Willow on Saturday with no issues. It was about 75 degrees and I did 5 runs. I didn't redline it near as much this time though so that may have contributed but I had no issues at all and had a blast.

I'm still looking into doing a mod but may not need it. Maybe shifting better is the answer. Ha!
Old 05-03-2010, 09:55 AM

2010 C63
I went to our local version of the AMG academy recently and they use only C63's. We ran the cars round the track 3 hours straight (all in M) with no problems at all, ambient temperature was in excess of 30 degrees C. Maybe we our cars have different gearbox oil as I know the engine oil would be different for our higher temperatures. Some of the cars has done more than 15K km's, just as reliable as any other C63 I have driven. Remember the C63 engine is detuned to 336kw anyway.
Old 08-16-2010, 01:40 AM

2009 C63 AMG
I did another track event a few weeks back. It was the big track at Willow Springs. I did 4 runs melted the tires and brakes but the tranny help up like a champ. I have all the fluids changed before and after every track event. It's expensive, but I think its key to keeping things functioning properly and preventing breakdowns.
Old 08-29-2010, 10:59 PM

M156 and LS7
at mosport my tranny went from M mode to S mode after 5-6 hot laps, at mid-ohio, a very hot day my engine oil temp went up to 136 C (276 F), engine went to limp mode (no power at all, run like an civic) without any warning, let it cool down for 40mins, everything come back to normal