Sponsored by:

4300 miles = new rear tires initial report

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-17-2010, 12:54 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2012 E350 4matic
4300 miles = new rear tires initial report

ok so with 4300 miles my rears were basically shot. below the wear bars but just a tick of thread left. wore evenly for the most part except the outer edges looked real good. camber issue i suppose.

so i wanted/needed all season temp tires with better mileage. no need for them to work in the snow but the car is driven in 30 degree weather occassionally. since the car is never pushed hard or on a track i figured a slight compromise in dry traction was worth giving up for more mileage. i also wanted to stick with a tire that had a similar or better load rating/index as well.

my decision was down to the Conti DWS and the Yokohama Avid Envigor. since the Yokohama's had a similar load index i went with them. i could have went up to 265s in the rear and got that load rating with the Contis but decided i wanted to stay stock width. (i know most of you are going wider but just personal preference with me.)

the tire looks great on the wheel. short 5 mile sprint up the interstate and then about another 5 mile backroad 50 - 60mph run. no noticable difference on ride stiffness. quieter than my worn out Pzeros but i expected that. no float in the rear. car felt firm and NICE. so i hit my first stop sign. i figured the tires were semi warm so i decided to power off from the stop about 60 percent throttle.

i know they are greasy from being new so i was careful. the traction control engaged not from the start but through 2nd gear off and on. probably due to them not being fully warm and not scrubbed in yet. but i was pretty impressed with the launch. weird they stuck from the dig but let loose while she built horsepower up. but like i said maybe from being so new and fresh.

these tires carry a 45k mile pro rate guarantee but only if you rotate. but if i get even 20k or close to that ill be extatic!!!

when the fronts wear out ill be replacing them with the Avid Envigors as well.

ill keep you posted on tire wear.

funny thing.. while i was at the store the guys there said a "big BMW" came in and the guy was pissed that his Sumitomos were bald after 5k miles. lol they said he bought he Yokohamas as well.

one more side note... these tires are so new that i havent been able to find a tire test on them yet. so i dont know if they are in the same ball park as the michelins, goodyears, and contis.... but they are Yokohamas latest greatest release in the high performance all season department. so i guess they are close to how the others perform.

Last edited by eagle_lex; 04-17-2010 at 12:57 PM.
Old 04-17-2010, 04:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'15 VW GTI
I'll find out in a few months, but I think having wider tires 265 or more, will help them wear longer as there is more tire to grip and thus less stress overall. Maybe my quaife lsd will help too..
Old 04-17-2010, 06:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'09 C63 AMG
Congrats!!! I think you'll be a lot happier with the A/S tires!
Old 04-17-2010, 06:26 PM

2012 E350 4matic
thanks for the input. i know i keep hearing this "265" thing. maybe next time ill try it!

thanks sflgator. i know you have been happy with your A/S tires so i thought i would try some too. i just do not need all that summer tire grip if i cant drive on them when its cold and they only last 6 months. they just do not fit my needs.
Old 04-17-2010, 07:08 PM
Ape

2004 TL; 2004 S2000; 2009 C63; 2009 ML350
I am actually looking at the same 2 tires and had ordered the Conti DWS but found that they are NOWHERE to be found in the U.S. in our size. I had 2 different tire sellers look for them today and they found a total of 6 rears and 0 fronts in the whole U.S. I am planning on ordering the Yoko's tomorrow from Tire Rack and having them on the car hopefully by next weekend.
By the way, I ordered the Conti DWS from onlinetires.com and they charged my credit card that day, but never contacted me to tell me they can not get the tires. The only way I found out was by emailing them for a delivery date a week after I ordered them. You can not get in touch via phone as no one answers and all mailboxes were full. Hopefully better results with Tire Rack.
Old 04-18-2010, 03:14 AM

no more AMG
eagle_lex... There isn't a camber issue, it's how the car is set up stock. Both my Pirelli Pzero's and my Nitto 555's wore the same way.

Ape... are you running 18's or 19's? I just got a set of 265/30/19 rear last week from tirerack.com
Old 04-18-2010, 05:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'09 C63
You want 20K miles on the rear? Wow that's very optimistic.
Old 04-18-2010, 12:16 PM
Ape

2004 TL; 2004 S2000; 2009 C63; 2009 ML350
Originally Posted by NickZag
Ape... are you running 18's or 19's? I just got a set of 265/30/19 rear last week from tirerack.com
I am running 18's. How do you like them so far? It looks like the 18's are at least 6 weeks out from what everyone was telling me. even Tire Rack has them out of stock.
Old 04-18-2010, 12:59 PM

no more AMG
Originally Posted by Ape
I am running 18's. How do you like them so far? It looks like the 18's are at least 6 weeks out from what everyone was telling me. even Tire Rack has them out of stock.
I only have 100 miles on them so far, but I like them. The ride isn't that much rougher with the 19's and I credit the tires for that (the Nitto's ride rough anyway). I haven't had the chance to give them a fair shake yet, but it's suppose to rain Monday so I'll be able to paint a better picture soon. FYI you'll never get a track report from me out of them lol
Old 04-18-2010, 04:58 PM

2012 E350 4matic
@nickzag - yea I understand it's a factory set up deal. I probably didn't fully explain that. These cars are just set up so aggressive but... Isn't that what we like? Ha ha.

As for expected mileage. Let's just say we wl see how these wear. Anything better than 4k would be nice!

As for the guy getting the yoks because the contis are sold out. Don't worry u will like these. I'd still like to see a test on them by tire rack or someone
Old 04-18-2010, 08:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 381 Likes on 237 Posts
2010 Irridium Silver MB C63 AMG Sedan
Perellis SUCK. Absolutely terrible. I have 3200K and they are bald. NO burnouts, no tracking, just a few quick jumps off lights and corners. I know they are summer/performance, but COMMON...I have no idea what tire to buy.

I do want to go wider and still keep a low profile. I want all season. What do you guys think??

What about taking fronts to back then getting new fronts with all season...?

I NEED tires ASAP.
Old 04-18-2010, 09:34 PM

2009 c63, 2011 GT500
Originally Posted by ZephyrAMG
Perellis SUCK. Absolutely terrible. I have 3200K and they are bald. NO burnouts, no tracking, just a few quick jumps off lights and corners. I know they are summer/performance, but COMMON...I have no idea what tire to buy.

I do want to go wider and still keep a low profile. I want all season. What do you guys think??

What about taking fronts to back then getting new fronts with all season...?

I NEED tires ASAP.
PS2's are the best tires i've had in my car i highly recommend them. I had invo's and continental dws they weren't any good and dws is A/S joke they slip alot.
Old 04-18-2010, 09:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 381 Likes on 237 Posts
2010 Irridium Silver MB C63 AMG Sedan
Originally Posted by alqamzi
PS2's are the best tires i've had in my car i highly recommend them. I had invo's and continental dws they weren't any good and dws is A/S joke they slip alot.
Thanks alqamzi. I have always loved Michillen. They are an excellent, yet expensive tire...I am hearing a lot about the Sumitomos HTRZIII. What do you guys think of them? They are cheaper after all...
Old 04-19-2010, 09:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 167 Likes on 133 Posts
2021 Porsche TTS
SFLGATOR seems to be happy with his A/S tires. He has a warranty as well
I have over 6K on my PS2 and I like them. I hope to get another 2K. Michelins prices have come down.
There are many threads out there about tire so do a search
Old 04-20-2010, 05:48 PM

2009 C63 with Eurocharged tune and charcoal delete
Thanks alqamzi. I have always loved Michillen. They are an excellent, yet expensive tire...I am hearing a lot about the Sumitomos HTRZIII. What do you guys think of them? They are cheaper after all...
I've had two sets of the HTRZIIIs and I love them. Cheaper than the big name brands and they last longer. Its a great compromise between grip and durability. By the way, I use the 265s in back.
Old 04-20-2010, 08:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'09 C63
In order for your tires to last longer you will loose performance. Now if you don't care then I recommend Nexens. I put 5K miles on them and they still seem brand new. I recently took them off cuz I got my wheels put on. And they're not expensive on top of that (I think). I got mine for about $200 for the rears.