Sponsored by:

AMG SLS 6.3 TOO SLOW?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-27-2010, 11:22 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'09 C63 AMG, '10 ML350 4Matic
Originally Posted by SebringSilver
Not referencing Miami1 specifically, but there are a lot of people in this forum for whom the C63 is the best car they've ever had. Prior to owning the C63, they'd never had much experience with relatively high-end cars. I wouldn't let them get under your skin too much because your points of reference are so very different, your backgrounds are also likely very different.

Best to just grin and bear it.
Very good point...and there are also probably a lot who know a ****-ton about cars, but have selected to spend money on things other than just cars. Just because somebody hasn't owned an exotic car doesn't mean they don't understand them...and how many people on here are leasing? Most exotic car guys lease vice buy. Not saying that is a bad option, just saying that true exotic car ownership doesn't make you an expert.

With that, I'll take your advice and bite my tongue...thanks for the reality check!
Old 04-27-2010, 11:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 54 Likes on 44 Posts
2008 CLK63 Black Series 2012 C63 Black Series 2014 SLS Black Series
Originally Posted by miami1lt
Nice, attacking my Nissans...sorry I am just a humble serviceman...we don't make the money to fill garages like you do. Also, for me, family comes first...hence some of the family-mobiles...but I digress.

BTW, Tony Kannan also drives an Acura TL too..."and you'd be amazed by the technology"....gonna dawg your hero, now?

Glad you feel the need to read off a resume of "experts" to prove that you didn't overpay at $140K when you could have scooped up an equally as impressive M6 for $30K less.

Anyway, the CLK63 is a nice car...and you're right...since I haven't owned a $140K car, I am not an expert (or perhaps I just know better ways to spend my money than on a car that stock-for-stock is mere inches ahead of its 1/3 priced younger brother).
For the record I have nothing against Nissans or Acuras or the people that drive them, I just really found it amussing that you and your resume feel qualified to call a Black Series as POS or the OP to call an SLS overpriced...if somebody pays the asking price its obviously not over priced( for the record SLSs are going for over MSRP right now in some places) just because you can't afford one does not make it overpriced.

As for your opinon on the M6 being a Black Series equall????? WTF are you smoking? they are not even close, apples and oranges bro. Have you ever seen a Black Series and a C63 side by side on a track? I think you would change your opinion after seeing that match up play out. The C63 is a great car, if I did not have the luxury of owning several vehicles and had to rely on one all around car for everything it might be a C63 but don't try to compare the two, the similarities end at the 6.3 badge on the fenders.
Old 04-27-2010, 11:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
R8
Very good point...and there are also probably a lot who know a ****-ton about cars, but have selected to spend money on things other than just cars. Just because somebody hasn't owned an exotic car doesn't mean they don't understand them...and how many people on here are leasing? Most exotic car guys lease vice buy. Not saying that is a bad option, just saying that true exotic car ownership doesn't make you an expert.

With that, I'll take your advice and bite my tongue...thanks for the reality check!
There was a time when threads stayed on-topic for at least the first few pages. Would be great to see those days again.

Your new signature is hilarious, btw.
Old 04-27-2010, 11:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

R8
Originally Posted by M0710
The dealer is saying the allocation is in Aug/Sept. So maybe Oct/Nov? I ordered the Designo Alanite Grey Magno (Matte Grey) exterior, and interior is 2 tone black/red.

A friend of mine ordered the Alumbeam Silver (15k option!) and his is said to arrive June...
Sounds like your Christmas is going to come a little bit early this year. Well done! I can't wait to start seeing them on the street.
Old 04-27-2010, 11:38 PM

@JrCart

You know, this all started because of some bashing of people posting "comical" threads. Not sure why it got so personal, but I'll take the hit for making the POS comment and making it personal.

The "just because you can't afford one" comment...I think that is inline with why an exhaust on a Ferrari that is the same amount of material as that for a GT500 would cost about $15K more...I agree that if somebody pays it, it isn't overpriced...to that person. But in the end, there are many things in this world that have a high price tag on name alone (pretty much all MB products are in this category--my extremely underwhelming ML is living proof of that).

I haven't seen a CLK/C-63 side-by-side...I've seen some track numbers posted on drag-times (believe you ran around 11, right--with NOS that is?). It appears that most of the drag times are similar between a modded C63 ($10K worth) and a stock or lightly-modded CLK...but others can probably give more "real-world" perspective on this.

Anyway, sorry to get you all fired up. I admit, I haven't driven a CLK63, and I haven't posted 3K+ times on here...so I will yield to your expertise and experience. Thanks for guiding me in the righteous direction.
Old 04-27-2010, 11:39 PM

A45 AMG Edition 1
in my country Malaysia selling this SLS AMG with the pricing USD625,000 tht super expensive but you guy is lucky can get lower price with tax
Old 04-27-2010, 11:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by SebringSilver
There was a time when threads stayed on-topic for at least the first few pages. Would be great to see those days again.

Your new signature is hilarious, btw.
Ya, his new sig is hilarious because it says 2007 CLK 63 Black Series (SOLD Biggiest POS Ever), the only problem with that is that the CLK 63 Black Series was only sold in 2008 so not only is Miami a tool, he is a stupid tool to boot. Get your facts straight before trying to go toe to toe with me Miami.

....I'm sure the stupid tool is going to change is "hilarious" sig to show 2008 CLK so he does not look like such a stupid tool but for the record it said 2007.
Old 04-27-2010, 11:42 PM

Nahhhh...actually, since I've been reguided in the right direction, it is now on my wish-list...are you sure there wasn't a 2007...there are like 100000 websites. Can't believe reputable companies like C&D and Motor Trend would get that wrong...shame on them!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNzuI7LO5lE

And I'm not trying to go toe-to-toe with you. I actually like you and your spirit...by the way, if the M6 is no comparison (or any BMW), then why do you have M3/M5 rims on your car? They look nice, seriously...but I thought it was an M5 until I saw the badge!

Last edited by miami1lt; 04-27-2010 at 11:49 PM.
Old 04-27-2010, 11:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Nahhhh...actually, since I've been reguided in the right direction, it is now on my wish-list...are you sure there wasn't a 2007...there are like 100000 websites. Can't believe reputable companies like C&D and Motor Trend would get that wrong...shame on them!
Ya, I'm positive, the CLK 63 Black Series is a 2008, that is the only model year the car was produced. Go to the AMG private lounge and see for yourself if you don't believe me.
Old 04-27-2010, 11:54 PM

No, I do...you own it...just can't believe there is bad info on the internet

Ok, seriously, I had fun jousting, but I did get out of line...love your car...didn't mean to offend you, and wish to get this back on topic. Sorry if I offended you or your car...I wouldn't want somebody calling my car names. Especially if they drove something I could smoke. So sorry bout that!

Brad
Old 04-27-2010, 11:54 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

C63 AMG Arctic w/ Stage 1 Tune, DoubleXX pipe, MCD-631X coming soon
JRcart, cut Miami1lt some slack my friend. I think everyone needs to get a grip, and get back on topic. The BS is an awesome car, and not many will get to see/experience one, and in terms of it's capabilities..it is really a great car. I do also agree that for a car that does many things well as an all around car the C63 is a hard package to beat, that's why I bought one. To be honest...I enjoy driving it more than my 360 Modena..if you can believe that. Anyhow..That's my 0.2cents worth.

As Rodney King would say "can't we all just get along"
Old 04-27-2010, 11:56 PM

^^^Thanks Brian...and I just offered my peace accord...soft diplomacy should prevail.

And thanks for jumping in...hope someday I can see a Black Series (was going to put BS, but thought that may be taken the wrong way) up close.

Not too many sweet MBs down here in Honolulu...if there are, they don't drive them much.
Old 04-28-2010, 12:04 AM

Brian, BTW and WAY off topic...how did the little "secret" session go? You know SuperLube isn't the only one out there looking for some other options at the Primary Cats
Old 04-28-2010, 12:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
E63 P30, CL500 Sport
Wow, this thread de-railed into so many different directions.... and it was an off-topic to begin with
Old 04-28-2010, 04:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2009 C63, 2007 GL 450
Getting back to the topic at hand, I would hardly call the SLS a slowpoke of a car. We need to consider that it is a large GT car and has all the features of a lux automobile so of course it is not as fast as a stripped down super-car. At the end of the day I highly doubt that 0.3-0.8 sec matter much for the average person and people who quote these seem to forget that these tests are conducted by factory drivers who are expert drivers. I highly doubt that average driver could get 100% of the performance out of the SLS. I think it is awesome and like the SLR will set a very high standard for the competition to match in its class.
Old 04-28-2010, 08:21 AM
JM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W204
I was lucky to drive the SLS in Las Vegas less than 2 weeks ago,

Numbers on paper does not do the car justice, and also I personally think its more of a GT car, you cant get a GT car and a Track car at the same time can you?

Also the feel of the car and the exhaust is just incredible.

If you guys are wondering on price

Its Shy under $200k base price

and options fully loaded with tax will run you shy of $300k

Its an incredible car, drive it and feel it

Do not make judgements because numbers think its slow... its about the feel of the car... or you will turn in to one of those fan boys where they go

I can spend $100k and get a car faster and crazier than you.

Its not about that its about the drive and feel of the car.

Also btw there are 8 on order in Vancouver now
Old 04-28-2010, 09:08 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2011 Ultima GTR
I think people often confuse the difference between cost and worth. Just because it seems that the SLS costs a lot to you, doesn't mean the car isn't worth whatever price it is to someone else.

Also, I think with low volume cars you don't sell them just based on paper figures. There is always an X-factor, and that is what the SLS has. You want fast, get a GTR and mod the **** out of it. You want that something else, that something the SLS offers? Pay the money.

You know, for me personally, its all about the smile on my face, that is my measure of worth. If the smile is there, big and proud, whatever I paid was worth it.
Old 04-28-2010, 10:07 PM

2010 E550 COUPE
Guys the SLS AMG is a amazing car but im just saying for 300k i rather have a 458 italia. And i think the car is too slow sense 90% of magazines compare it to GALLARDO LP560 SUPER, 458 ITALIA, 911 TURBO pdk, R8 V10, 599 Gt and more. I just think AMG mb could realy prove it self as one of the best performance in a much more aerodynamic, lighter and smaller cars like the SLS, but using the 6.2 v8 high reving engine is not in the SLR or the SL65 black series so why place this engine in the SLS amg and give it 50 more ponies and slap a price tag of just under 250-300k. This engine is not made for super cars or real sports cars in my opinon.

Now the C63 is a difrent story sexy car, seats 5, very nice interior, handles amazing, and very very fast for what it is! Its a sedan a luxury sedan that goes fast and handles good, this engine is perfect for this car and the price is perfect as well. And yes i drive a 2010 E550 coupe fully loaded for 58k bought it used with 400 miles on it. its quick annd full of luxury and a new bodystyle.

I love the 6.2 engine its just not made for super cars. The engine in my CL600 felt alot quicker and i think it would of been nice to see the SLS amg have it with a updated tranny.
Old 04-28-2010, 11:13 PM
LZH
Banned

CLK 63 Black Series, 2009 S550, 2011 Range Rover Supercharged, BMW F800 GS Anniv Edition
Bi turbo-
u really have NO clue whatsoever. Do u even know that the Sls motor is a true dry sump???do u even know what dry sump is??? How about the many awards the 63 motor has won??? Engine of the year in2009 iirc. U think the sls is too slow SENSE the magazines compare it to other lambos et al??? U make no since bro. Give it a rest and just hope u are lucky enough to one day drive one.
The new 63 motor in the sls is one of the best ever made and totally bulletproof. Saying that it doesn't belong in a supercar or a sports car just proves your ignorance.

Last edited by LZH; 04-28-2010 at 11:16 PM.
Old 04-29-2010, 01:29 AM

2010 E550 COUPE
And its the best N/A engine and yet MB is going F/I in 2011?
Old 04-29-2010, 01:31 AM

2011 Ultima GTR
They are going FI for environmental reasons more than power reasons. Then people will be able to do some weak off-boost driving to conserve fuel.

From Wikipedia. Not perfect source, but good enough in this case.

"Corporate average fuel economy

In the United States, due to an inability to meet federal corporate average fuel economy regulations, Mercedes-Benz was fined a record US$30.66 million in 2009.[12] Certain Mercedes-Benz cars including the S550, and all AMG models sold in the United States also face an additional gas guzzler tax.[13]

In 2008, Mercedes had the worst CO2 average of all major European manufacturers, ranking 14th out of 14 manufacturers[14]. Mercedes was also the worst manufacturer in 2007 and 2006 in terms of average CO2 levels, with 181 g and 188 g of CO2 emitted per km, respectively[15]."

Last edited by AlexCim; 04-29-2010 at 03:04 AM.
Old 04-29-2010, 05:32 AM

C63
Originally Posted by M0710
The dealer is saying the allocation is in Aug/Sept. So maybe Oct/Nov? I ordered the Designo Alanite Grey Magno (Matte Grey) exterior, and interior is 2 tone black/red.

A friend of mine ordered the Alumbeam Silver (15k option!) and his is said to arrive June...

15k Paint? does it glow in the dark or something?
Old 04-29-2010, 07:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by BI-TURBO-LOVER
Guys the SLS AMG is a amazing car but im just saying for 300k i rather have a 458 italia. And i think the car is too slow sense 90% of magazines compare it to GALLARDO LP560 SUPER, 458 ITALIA, 911 TURBO pdk, R8 V10, 599 Gt and more. I just think AMG mb could realy prove it self as one of the best performance in a much more aerodynamic, lighter and smaller cars like the SLS, but using the 6.2 v8 high reving engine is not in the SLR or the SL65 black series so why place this engine in the SLS amg and give it 50 more ponies and slap a price tag of just under 250-300k. This engine is not made for super cars or real sports cars in my opinon.

Now the C63 is a difrent story sexy car, seats 5, very nice interior, handles amazing, and very very fast for what it is! Its a sedan a luxury sedan that goes fast and handles good, this engine is perfect for this car and the price is perfect as well. And yes i drive a 2010 E550 coupe fully loaded for 58k bought it used with 400 miles on it. its quick annd full of luxury and a new bodystyle.

I love the 6.2 engine its just not made for super cars. The engine in my CL600 felt alot quicker and i think it would of been nice to see the SLS amg have it with a updated tranny.
Where are you getting your info???? My dealer has an SLS that is expected into to arrive any day and the MSRP is $197k...why do you keep saying $300k?
Old 04-29-2010, 08:12 AM

CLK Black
Originally Posted by jrcart
Where are you getting your info???? My dealer has an SLS that is expected into to arrive any day and the MSRP is $197k...why do you keep saying $300k?
I don't know why 300K keeps coming up. The base price of the SLS is $183,000. Pluse delivery, gas guzzler and options. It was announced at the New York Auto show.

Throw in Matte paint, carbon trim, ceramic brakes, upgraded wheels, performance suspension, and and you have an MSRP around 210K plus the other tax and delivery stuff.

They have the latest price list over on the Private Lounge. The 5K carbon mirrors are gone

http://www.mercedes-amg.com/privatel...ad.php?t=16871

I don't want to post it as they have been getting testy about that.

I think what you are going to find is that many people that own the first SLS's will also own the first 458's.

I think the SLS delivers. 2/3 the cost of a SL Black Series and better performance at the track.

Ugly or not (for the record I like 78% of the design)
Old 04-29-2010, 12:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

R8
Originally Posted by AMG Dictator
I don't know why 300K keeps coming up. The base price of the SLS is $183,000. Pluse delivery, gas guzzler and options. It was announced at the New York Auto show.

Throw in Matte paint, carbon trim, ceramic brakes, upgraded wheels, performance suspension, and and you have an MSRP around 210K plus the other tax and delivery stuff.

They have the latest price list over on the Private Lounge. The 5K carbon mirrors are gone

http://www.mercedes-amg.com/privatel...ad.php?t=16871

I don't want to post it as they have been getting testy about that.

I think what you are going to find is that many people that own the first SLS's will also own the first 458's.

I think the SLS delivers. 2/3 the cost of a SL Black Series and better performance at the track.

Ugly or not (for the record I like 78% of the design)
While it's a subjective thing, I don't even find it ugly. At first glance, it looked a bit chunky, but after seeing it in person, the proportions work very well, and definitely pays homage to the orignal 300SL Gullwing. I can see myself driving an SLS if I'm in my late 40's (which isn't too far away )!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: AMG SLS 6.3 TOO SLOW?