I put in WORK

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-07-2010, 06:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 66 Likes on 49 Posts
'08 C63 Estate
Originally Posted by AMGC60-3
Yeah, I am just saying saftey first. At least here in Germany, I dont think you would be allowed to drive on the public roads with that caliper clearance.

That's for sure. TÜV would never allow that

Note:
TUV is a German acronym for Technischer Überwachungs-Verein. TUV are German organizations that work to validate the safety of products of all kinds to protect humans and the environment against hazards. Automotive components must be approved by TUV in order to be sold and installed on road going vehicles in Germany. The requirements for TUV approval are very stringent
Old 05-07-2010, 07:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C63 AMG
Originally Posted by olszowa12
That's a bummer Hope it'll work out !
Love the wheels - they're amazing. Great color choice - gunmetal rocks !

Note:
TUV is a German acronym for Technischer Überwachungs-Verein. TUV are German organizations that work to validate the safety of products of all kinds to protect humans and the environment against hazards. Automotive components must be approved by TUV in order to be sold and installed on road going vehicles in Germany. The requirements for TUV approval are very stringent
Yea, I'm sure it'll work out. I just need the adapters and it'll be all set. Man, TUV is tough. I guess the Autobahn comes with expectations.
Old 05-07-2010, 08:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'08 C63 Estate
Originally Posted by avengerboater
Yea, I'm sure it'll work out. I just need the adapters and it'll be all set. Man, TUV is tough. I guess the Autobahn comes with expectations.
Believe me, there's no better feeling than going 300km/h on an open road and feeling that it actually is legit
Old 05-07-2010, 08:50 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C63
Nice choice! I liked the VS-TX more I wonder why the hell they discontinued such an awesome looking wheel.
Old 05-07-2010, 08:58 PM
Super Moderator

Received 58 Likes on 16 Posts
2019 GT3 RS, 2017 M3 30 Jahre
love those wheels! can't wait to see them on.

so the eBay centercaps just popped right on?
Old 05-07-2010, 09:34 PM

C63 AMG
Originally Posted by olszowa12
Believe me, there's no better feeling than going 300km/h on an open road and feeling that it actually is legit
Aaahhh, I'm sure I'll experience that one day when I travel to Europe.

Originally Posted by arctichaze
Nice choice! I liked the VS-TX more I wonder why the hell they discontinued such an awesome looking wheel.
Yessir, those were one of my faves, too. The Emotion CRs are as close a resemblence to the VS-TX as they have.

Originally Posted by nlpamg
love those wheels! can't wait to see them on.

so the eBay centercaps just popped right on?
Yup. You'd just have to make sure it's the right size/diameter and they'll pop right in.
Old 05-07-2010, 11:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 381 Likes on 237 Posts
2010 Irridium Silver MB C63 AMG Sedan
Excellent selection......
Old 05-07-2010, 11:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
E63 P30, CL500 Sport
C63 Wheels

Incredible
Old 05-07-2010, 11:36 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C63
pics of VS-TX for reference.

Old 05-08-2010, 06:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'09 C63
I got the Gnosis GS-4
Old 05-08-2010, 09:51 AM

c63, prius
nice rims.....
Old 05-08-2010, 11:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 92 Likes on 81 Posts
C63 AMG
Well, after a trip to the tire shop today to get the tires mounted, it was discovered that the wheels (as they came) are NOT compatible with the TPMS that I bought. The hole drilled through the barrel of the rim is 90 degrees from the hole where the valve stems would come out on the face of the wheel. After calling around to 3-4 different ppl, I discovered that WORK wheels don't drill holes compatible for TPMS unless specifically requested by the customer (TPMS is not required in Japan). I thought I had mentioned that when I put in my order, but being that it was 6 months ago, I can't recall precisely.

Anyway, I had to order a set of 90-degree or L-shaped TPMS adapters and reschedule another visit to the tire shop for next Tuesday.

Here's the product I ordered from WORK.
FWIW when my new wheels went on Dave at Status put an unmounted wheel on the balancer...it was nice to see the row of zeros. It was a different story with the OE TPMS sensors installed, however...seeing how many weights were necessary for balancing...plus Dave explained how important it was to try to place them out of sight for the best aesthetic result. Dave did a fantastic job but you might want to stay on top of yours as it looks like with the adapters you are adding even more weight to the same area.
Old 05-09-2010, 03:40 AM

C63 AMG
Originally Posted by bhamg
FWIW when my new wheels went on Dave at Status put an unmounted wheel on the balancer...it was nice to see the row of zeros. It was a different story with the OE TPMS sensors installed, however...seeing how many weights were necessary for balancing...plus Dave explained how important it was to try to place them out of sight for the best aesthetic result. Dave did a fantastic job but you might want to stay on top of yours as it looks like with the adapters you are adding even more weight to the same area.
Cool. Thanks for the heads up.
Old 05-09-2010, 02:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'09 C63
Cool. Thanks for the heads up.
Had mine put on at the same place as bhamg. My tpms worked all right.
Old 05-09-2010, 02:49 PM

a g
I agree, they look better sporting the AMG center caps!

Nice wheels too!
Old 05-13-2010, 10:55 PM

C63 AMG
Oi, when it rains, it pours.

More misfortune for me regarding these wheels, fellas...

First off, my TPMS adapters arrived quickly and as promised (thank you WORK) on Monday night. I took one out and made sure it fits the wheel and was compatible with the valve stems. It was very obvious how the adapters should go on, and this was with me having no prior knowledge in this field of TPMS, valve stems, and adapters. What's the point, you ask? The next day, I dropped off my wheels to the tire shop for the second time--this time with the TPMS adapters ready to go, so there should be no problem. The tech who was going to install my tires looked at them like they were alien technology. Even after I've demonstrated to them how this works by installing one adapter to a valve stem, attach the valve stem onto the rim, and finally attaching a TPMS sensor onto the entire assembly, they weren't convinced that it'll work. Mind you, this is a pretty reputable shop who does good work on a lot of Porsches and other cars.

Anyway, after me having to convince them that it will work, they went ahead with the tire installation. They said it would take about 1 hour to do--1.5 hours passed and I haven't heard anything from them. I began to get nervous, so I headed over to the shop. Two of the four wheels were done and laying there waiting for me--the third was getting mounted as I was there. I checked out the two finished wheels for any scratches or damage, and they were perfect. The third wheel was perfect, as well. As I was waiting for the last wheel, I heard something dropped in the vicinity of the tech as he was balancing my wheel. It was loud, and I got nervous. When the last wheel was finished, I went to inspect it, and lo and behold--a deep 3mm scuff on the shiny new lip! Calmly and politely, I called the manager and tech over to look at the wheel. They were cussing up a storm at how that could've happened. The tech said he dropped a "cone" while mounting and he thought it dropped straight to the ground, but apparently it scratched the rim. So, I asked what they proposed to do to fix the damage. The owner called around to a couple of wheel repair shops, and had me take the wheel to one down the street for them to fix it and he would pick up the bill. He was responsible about it and took accountability for the mistake, which was nice.

I dropped off the wheel to the repair shop, asked the owner of the repair shop how he was going to fix the damage, and he said they would sand it down and polish it back up. It was "not a problem" and it would be done by the next day. So, yesterday came, and I picked up the wheel right as they closed (I had to work). It was a bit overcast, so I couldn't see the lip in direct sunlight. That changed today...

As I took the rim out to clean and mount onto my car, I noticed an INSANE amount of swirls on the lip. There was also a very distinct line between the outer lip and the inner lip of the wheel. It was visibly obvious that there was repair done to the wheel and you could tell the half that was polished versus the part that was OEM. Terrible job. So, I called up WORK wheels to seek advice, and Jim (at WORK) told me the repair shop never should've sanded, buffed, nor polished the lip. It was brought to my attention that the lip on this wheel are anodized, NOT polished. He went on to explain what that process entails and said there are only a handful of shops nationwidethat has the capability to de-anodized and re-anodize wheels for repairing. Basically, my lip was ruined because once you polish an anodized wheel, that destroys any type of anodization the original lip had. On top of that, I'd have to keep polishing the wheel because it'll be more susceptible to corrosion, stains, and blemishes vs. anodized. Basically...FUBAR.

I could find a better shop to polish my lip so that there wouldn't be any swirls or that deep line between the polished half and the anodized half, but that would still make my lip "polished" instead of how it was originally meant to be--anodized. So, the only suitable option is to get a new lip from WORK. Oi. And of course, that would incur $$$ for the new lip, and the 40 bolts that was on each rim. Not to mention the cost to dismount the tires, disassemble the rim, put in the new lip, and resealing the pieces. This will be done at a MUCH more reputable shop, I've called them and they knew exactly what the method involved. I spoke with the owner of the tire shop and he agreed to pay for the new parts. Although, I didn't mention to him about the cost of the 40 bolts that are needed with the new lip. Oh, and the new lip won't be here until middle or late June...all this after having to wait from October till now for my rims.

And now, for the cherry on top...

I figured I'd mount the wheels on my car anyway and enjoy it till at least June. After finishing up, I decided to take it for a test drive to set up the TPMS in the new wheels. SLOWLY, I backed out of my garage...then I heard a noise that went a little like *chung chung chung*. I said, "Oh $h1t" and immediately knew what happened. Like some of you have mentioned in this thread, the rear clearance between the wheel and calipers was but a hair... and the wheels SCRAPED THE CALIPERS as I backed out a few inches!!!

I immediately took off the rear wheels and remounted my stockers. Only the corners of the calipers were scrapped, the passenger side one more so than the driver side. SIGH. Basically, it's fine, as long as no one is sitting in the car. I will be getting some H&R 5mm spacers tonight.

When it rains...it pours. The end.
Old 05-13-2010, 11:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C55 AMG, CLK550
That's a good looking wheel! Well done!
Old 05-13-2010, 11:06 PM

C63
wow, so sorry to hear about your wheel troubles but I do have one question. When you test fitted your wheels on the car did you try to rotate it one rotation so that it clears the caliper? If it did clear before tires were mounted I do not understand why would the wheel (or rather its face piece) would flex enough to catch on the brake caliper. I have a friend who has a 15' BBK kit that has 2mm clearance measured with gap tool and not once did it ever come in contact even on track with massive amounts of high speed torture braking.
Old 05-13-2010, 11:10 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
2011 GLK 350, 2013 GT-R, & 2013 RAM 1500
Oi, when it rains, it pours.
Damn. Sorry to hear, avb.
Old 05-13-2010, 11:24 PM

pontiac firefly
Originally Posted by blindfold
wow, so sorry to hear about your wheel troubles but I do have one question. When you test fitted your wheels on the car did you try to rotate it one rotation so that it clears the caliper? If it did clear before tires were mounted I do not understand why would the wheel (or rather its face piece) would flex enough to catch on the brake caliper. I have a friend who has a 15' BBK kit that has 2mm clearance measured with gap tool and not once did it ever come in contact even on track with massive amounts of high speed torture braking.
but remember this thing was "literally hair thin"
..maybe the bump when backing out caused a little flex, or maybe it wasn't balanced properly(by the tire mounting guys) so it wobbled a bit and hit the caliper

it sucks that they messed up your wheels man

the wheel that hit the caliper was it the same one that they polished??
Old 05-13-2010, 11:36 PM

c63, prius
sorry to hear that....
Old 05-13-2010, 11:40 PM

2015 C300 4matic
Ouch sorry to hear that. I remember when a repair shop repolished my Volk wheels that were anodized..
Don't the calipers move a little when brake force is applied? which is why you want more clearance..
Old 05-14-2010, 12:17 AM

C63 AMG
Originally Posted by blindfold
Originally Posted by ruthless
but remember this thing was "literally hair thin"
..maybe the bump when backing out caused a little flex, or maybe it wasn't balanced properly(by the tire mounting guys) so it wobbled a bit and hit the caliper

it sucks that they messed up your wheels man

the wheel that hit the caliper was it the same one that they polished??
Yea, I had thought that since the wheels mounted fine without any scrapes on the rear caliper, I would be okay. But I'll have admit that it did not surprise me to see scrape the calipers when everything was fully loaded. I'm not sure what attributed to the scraping, but there wasn't much wiggle room there to begin with--it was less than 2mm, for sure, possibly less than 1mm. It could be the tires, the weight of the car with the rear suspension on load (vs being on a jack), or me being in the car, or the brake compressing and moving. Whatever it is, it sure wasn't scraping by much...just the corners and are a few nicks.

Both of my rear wheels scraped the caliper, but luckily, the face wheels weren't damaged.

Originally Posted by superlubricity
Damn. Sorry to hear, avb.
Yea. It's been quite a day "off" for me.

Originally Posted by exdes
Ouch sorry to hear that. I remember when a repair shop repolished my Volk wheels that were anodized..
Don't the calipers move a little when brake force is applied? which is why you want more clearance..
What was the result of those Volk wheels, if I may ask?
Old 05-14-2010, 03:15 AM

2009 C63, 2000 Nissan Maxima
damn man....that just sucks
Old 05-14-2010, 03:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'08 C63 Estate
Crazy turn of events

I really wanted to see how the car looked on WORK ... Well, hope it'll work out with spacers and you'll get the new lip earlier than in June

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: I put in WORK