Received 92 Likes on 81 Posts
C63 AMG
That sucks big time...sorry to hear.
Old 05-14-2010, 08:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
2016 C63 S
Unfu<kenbelievable!!!!

Both your wheel mounting shop and the guys who repaired your wheel should split the cost and get you a replacement wheel

They both owe that to you
Old 05-14-2010, 08:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2015 C300 4matic
Originally Posted by avengerboater

What was the result of those Volk wheels, if I may ask?
Carwash place sprayed some chemicals which etched the finish on the lip. so watch out for that..
Ended up refinishing all 4, but it never came out as original finish... I was looking at getting the barrel and replacing, but the cost was almost as high as getting new wheels and took so long.
The refinish came out more like brushed, since i could see the small lines where they polished it.. Also ended up clear coating them after finding out it turned dull and needed polish every week..

See if there is a place near you that does clear anodizing.. They should have better idea what to do.

Last edited by exdes; 05-14-2010 at 09:09 AM.
Old 05-14-2010, 10:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C63 AMG
Originally Posted by exdes
Carwash place sprayed some chemicals which etched the finish on the lip. so watch out for that..
Ended up refinishing all 4, but it never came out as original finish... I was looking at getting the barrel and replacing, but the cost was almost as high as getting new wheels and took so long.
The refinish came out more like brushed, since i could see the small lines where they polished it.. Also ended up clear coating them after finding out it turned dull and needed polish every week..

See if there is a place near you that does clear anodizing.. They should have better idea what to do.
Man, sounds exactly like what happened to my wheel. Thus, the reason why I'm getting a new barrel. Sorry to hear about your experience too, bro.
Old 05-14-2010, 12:40 PM

2009 C63 AMG - Steel Grey
Very nice Rims and worth the 6 month wait... Enjoy!
Old 05-14-2010, 02:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'09 C63
I wouldn't recommend putting spacers on our cars especially with this much torque.
Old 05-14-2010, 03:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W164 ML500,SMART For two,1994 C280(5speed manual) 1999 C230k station wagon
Well its either ditch the rims and buy another set or use 5mm wheel spacers.
Old 05-14-2010, 03:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
2016 C63 S
Get the spacers....they're hub centric and not affected by torque

Old 05-14-2010, 03:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

5 or 10mm is nothing anyway, just need longer bolts.
Old 05-14-2010, 03:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
E63 P30, CL500 Sport
I'm so sorry to hear that.... that's terrible. Hopefully, you'll be up and running again soon
Old 05-14-2010, 03:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
C63
Your wheels looks SSSICCCKKK. About time someone mounted VS-XX on the c63 . I had the same issue when i got a 12 piston brake kit from Rotora on my escalade. I had 3 piece 26" wheels at the time and after i installed the brakes, my front wheel wouldnt even fit, The rear brake kit and wheel fit fine. But the front wheels were litterally touching the caliper. So i called up Rotora and they told me either to get a new lip on the front wheels or get spacers. i eventually got rid of those wheels and put on monoblocks so it would clear the caliper. Havent had any issues ever since. You can change your front lip to a different offset or get spacers if you choose to, im sure that would take care of your caliper clearance issues. It just sucks to hear that your having trouble with your wheels, i know what a pain in the *** it is. Im sure all of us here would love to see a full pic of the wheels mounted on your AMG.
I hope everything turns out good man.

Last edited by _AMG_; 05-14-2010 at 05:57 PM.
Old 05-14-2010, 03:32 PM

E55 AMG, 72' Toyota Carina, 63' Ford F100, 72' Mercedes 250c, 15' Harley Davidson Softail
man it just sucks to hear your misfortune bro. I was super anxious to see how the rims looked on your car as im sure everyone else was.

Hopefully everything works out soon, any ideas on what you're gonna do for the rears? I agree with callmiro grab 5mm spacers and rock em!
Old 05-14-2010, 03:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 92 Likes on 81 Posts
C63 AMG
ab - One thing I don't really understand is the role of WORK in this ongoing saga. Shouldn't they have guaranteed (safe) fitment in the first place? Easy for me to say, but if these were mine I'd considering negotiating for a new set of rears that could be used w/o spacers...I'd be asking myself what the point of true custom is, if one still has to use a spacer assuming that was not intended in the first place.
Old 05-14-2010, 03:35 PM
Super Moderator

Received 58 Likes on 16 Posts
2019 GT3 RS, 2017 M3 30 Jahre
oh man. that sucks to hear. good luck with everything.
Old 05-14-2010, 03:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by bhamg
ab - One thing I don't really understand is the role of WORK in this ongoing saga. Shouldn't they have guaranteed (safe) fitment in the first place? Easy for me to say, but if these were mine I'd considering negotiating for a new set of rears that could be used w/o spacers...I'd be asking myself what the point of true custom is, if one still has to use a spacer assuming that was not intended in the first place.
A big Plus 1.
Old 05-14-2010, 03:44 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
2011 GLK 350, 2013 GT-R, & 2013 RAM 1500
agree 100%.
Old 05-14-2010, 03:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
'09 SL Black, '12 ML63, '13 SL63, '14 E63 Wagon, '14 458 Italia
Originally Posted by Kjellster
Old 05-14-2010, 06:20 PM

C63 AMG
Originally Posted by Kjellster
Yea, they're almost worth the headache, too.

Originally Posted by Jae Duk
I wouldn't recommend putting spacers on our cars especially with this much torque.
Originally Posted by AMGC60-3
Well its either ditch the rims and buy another set or use 5mm wheel spacers.
Originally Posted by AMGC60-3
5 or 10mm is nothing anyway, just need longer bolts.
Ditto. I don't think 5mm is very substantial, at all. And with H&R using hubcentric spacers of high quality, I'm thinking this will be the best resolution.

Originally Posted by MB_Forever
I'm so sorry to hear that.... that's terrible. Hopefully, you'll be up and running again soon
Me too, sir, me too.

Originally Posted by _AMG_
Your wheels looks SSSICCCKKK. About time someone mounted VS-XX on the c63 . I had the same issue when i got a 12 piston brake kit from Rotora on my escalade. I had 3 piece 26" wheels at the time and after i installed the brakes, my front wheel wouldnt even fit, The rear brake kit and wheel fit fine. But the front wheels were litterally touching the caliper. So i called up Rotora and they told me either to get a new lip on the front wheels or get spacers. i eventually got rid of those wheels and put on monoblocks so it would clear the caliper. Havent had any issues ever since. You can change your front lip to a different offset or get spacers if you choose to, im sure that would take care of your caliper clearance issues. It just sucks to hear that your having trouble with your wheels, i know what a pain in the *** it is. Im sure all of use here would love to see a full pic of the wheels mounted on your AMG.
I hope everything turns out good man.
Ya, I could go to a 2-piece lip, or get the center disk pushed out a bit more, but that would require a long and lenghty process.

Originally Posted by AMG_RL
man it just sucks to hear your misfortune bro. I was super anxious to see how the rims looked on your car as im sure everyone else was.

Hopefully everything works out soon, any ideas on what you're gonna do for the rears? I agree with callmiro grab 5mm spacers and rock em!
I was anxious, too...and they do look great. It just sucks that these things keep happening. I'll snap some pics as soon as everything is settled.

Well, Jim at WORK has been in discussion with me throughout the entire process. From the major backorder to the TPMS adapters, to the lip being scratched, to the repair process, and now to the spacers. My options are really limited to either: get a new wheel (and wait and likely pay some of the costs), or get spacers and run with it. I can understand your take on the buyer should have the peace of mind that the wheels they ordered specifically for their car should fit. What Jim said of this was they were going off of clearances on other 63 AMGs, like the E63 for example. This is a newer model and no one, if any, has ordered a set for the C63 until now (and there is another customer who recently placed an order with an ET46 offset for their C63). It's quite frustrating for me to have given this offset and being told they would fit and clear the calipers with no rubbing--and that was from two different vendors, one of which was a friend of mine. So, unless you want to calculate your own offset, WORK will go with what their computer says and Jim said he would assist you in figuring out the right offset...he said the ET46 set for the other C63 should clear, according to his calculations. Other options were: I could go down to a big-brake-caliper center piece, but that would not look well and be odd..it's like having your front wheels in the rear. Or I could have the center piece push out more towards the front, but that would also look really obscured.

Anyway, my point in all of this is that my hands are pretty much tied. Sure, it would've been nice to have a larger brake clearance than when I first mounted the rims on (it cleared, but with only about 1mm between the center piece and the caliper). But I didn't expect it to scrape the caliper with tires and full load on the springs. I guess it's a game of mm when it comes to this stuff. WORK has been very accommodating, giving me the adapters, lip, and bolts at factory pricing. It's just unfortunate for these things to happen one after another.

Originally Posted by nlpamg
oh man. that sucks to hear. good luck with everything.
Thanks.
Old 05-14-2010, 08:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'09 C63
I got mine directly from Japan. Don't know if he looked in his computer and the numbers he got were mine. If they were, my FRONTS were 46 not the rears. When I ordered mine, the guy at the shop measured the brakes and everything himself to make sure it'll clear. I think you should probably call Jim back and make sure he changes the information that way no other C63 can be in his predicament. Personally I would try to negotiate with Jim to get another set of rears. Or maybe sell it on other forums to try to make some of the cost back.
Old 05-14-2010, 09:31 PM

C63 AMG
Originally Posted by Jae Duk
I got mine directly from Japan. Don't know if he looked in his computer and the numbers he got were mine. If they were, my FRONTS were 46 not the rears. When I ordered mine, the guy at the shop measured the brakes and everything himself to make sure it'll clear. I think you should probably call Jim back and make sure he changes the information that way no other C63 can be in his predicament. Personally I would try to negotiate with Jim to get another set of rears. Or maybe sell it on other forums to try to make some of the cost back.

Aaah, so you're the other VS-XX C63.

I got mine directly from Japan, as well--that's why I had to wait so long because the R-disk was back-ordered for ever.

What size and width are you going with? If the front are ET46, what do you have for the rear?

I did tell Jim about my experience and specifically stated that 19x10 ET51 would not clear the rear calipers on the C63--and told him to use me as future references in case any other C63 owners wants to get a set. That was when he brought up the ET46 offset that was yours(?).

Anyway, in regards to compensation or getting a new wheel--it's not gonna fly. Jim said it was unfortunate that the rears scraped the calipers, but it was only by a few mm and that 5mm spacer was probably the best option. He did provide me with the possible scenarios I've mentioned before...going with a less aggressive offset, smaller lip, different disk (face), etc.m but ya--no compensation. If it was not even mountable onto the car itself, or if I had to run 20mm spacers to make it fit, then it'd be a different story and Jim would consider other alternatives. If it's any consolation, he's been very helpful throughout the entire ordeal. In all honesty, having the rears be about 2mm shy of clearing the corners of the calipers (not the entire calipers--98% of the calipers cleared without a problem) is not worth the trouble of selling these wheels, finding a buyer, negotiating a new set of wheels, ordering them, waiting for them, hoping they'll fit, getting tires de-mounted and re-mounted, etc. etc. I think 5mm spacers is a good middle ground to solving all of this. It's just really unfortunate that it's become that, but yea... you make lemonade, right?

Last edited by avengerboater; 05-14-2010 at 09:33 PM.
Old 05-14-2010, 10:10 PM

Received 35 Likes on 15 Posts
AMG GT-R
Oh wow AB, sorry to hear about this setback! I can understand the frustration you are going through. It's stuff like this that really discourages me from touching my car, although in the end it's usually worth the effort.

I would go with the 5mm spacers as well...that's not much at all and should give you plenty of clearance.
Old 05-14-2010, 10:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2011 GLK350, 2010 ML350, 2008 C63 AMG
wow... sorry to hear about this story now...
Old 05-14-2010, 11:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'09 C63
Originally Posted by avengerboater
Aaah, so you're the other VS-XX C63.

I got mine directly from Japan, as well--that's why I had to wait so long because the R-disk was back-ordered for ever.

What size and width are you going with? If the front are ET46, what do you have for the rear?

I did tell Jim about my experience and specifically stated that 19x10 ET51 would not clear the rear calipers on the C63--and told him to use me as future references in case any other C63 owners wants to get a set. That was when he brought up the ET46 offset that was yours(?).

Anyway, in regards to compensation or getting a new wheel--it's not gonna fly. Jim said it was unfortunate that the rears scraped the calipers, but it was only by a few mm and that 5mm spacer was probably the best option. He did provide me with the possible scenarios I've mentioned before...going with a less aggressive offset, smaller lip, different disk (face), etc.m but ya--no compensation. If it was not even mountable onto the car itself, or if I had to run 20mm spacers to make it fit, then it'd be a different story and Jim would consider other alternatives. If it's any consolation, he's been very helpful throughout the entire ordeal. In all honesty, having the rears be about 2mm shy of clearing the corners of the calipers (not the entire calipers--98% of the calipers cleared without a problem) is not worth the trouble of selling these wheels, finding a buyer, negotiating a new set of wheels, ordering them, waiting for them, hoping they'll fit, getting tires de-mounted and re-mounted, etc. etc. I think 5mm spacers is a good middle ground to solving all of this. It's just really unfortunate that it's become that, but yea... you make lemonade, right?
No that was not me I had the Gnosis GS-4. My fronts were 20x8.5 ET 47 and my rear was 20x10 ET 51
Old 05-15-2010, 01:42 AM

c63, prius
what is the different between "A disk", "O disk", and "R disk"?
also what is that mean "rim depth" from the vsxx pdf chart?
If i want to order this rim for the rear.....is that mean i have to order 19 x 10 et 48 "O Disk"

http://www.workwheelsusa.com/media/w...5/VSXX_PDF.pdf

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: I put in WORK