C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CLK 63 Black Series vs. C63 AMG. What's the big difference?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 11:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
R8
Originally Posted by MB_Forever
Maybe this will put things in perspective....

This is a snapshot of Nurburgring lap times from wikipedia.....

You also have to take into account that the data presented in that table is not directly comparable to one another. Some of those were done as a "full lap" (which has a much greater distance and thereby longer lap time), others are "factory claim"s. And then you have the "independent test"s, which opens up an even bigger can of worms.

The Nurburgring lap times should only be taken with a grain of salt, and not as gospel.
Old 06-10-2010, 08:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts
96 and 08 911 turbos
Originally Posted by SMP
I feel bad for the OP..............and really bad for that lost boy in the wrong forum........."peak hp and fuel cut off" and going 1000 rpm over redline in a stock car says it all

BTW, just because your shrink doesn't mind you rambling on and on because he/she gets paid by the hour, doesn't mean you should do the same here. In case you haven't noticed .........this forum is for AMG's
hmm, you seem confused. I, and most other people, would consider redline the point at which you hit the fuel cut rev limiter. Where the car makes peak power has nothing to do with how high it can actually rev. Whether or not you want to shift at redline is another matter. You claim that high revving motors burn oil. Yet the BS hits fuel cutoff at 7200rpm, which is not very high.

wow, so if I bought an AMG I could actually post here? Cool, I'll look into that.

Originally Posted by 220S
Oliverk: fwiw, you change a 993TT into RWD only very easily. I did it to a 993C4S which is the same chassis as the 993TT (minus the FI motor, of course.)

fwiw, my next P-car would be a PDK with the SC option......
Yeah, i've read about the swap and it doesn't seem to bad. The car understeers a little bit, but not enough for me to want to tear it all out just yet. Either way, its nice that the option is there.

PDK is an impressive product, especially with sport chrono. That said, I still prefer the enjoyment I get out of banging a perfect heel/toe downshift and just the feel of shifting for myself. To me a sports car is more about involvement than shifting in a tenth of a milisecond.
Old 06-10-2010, 11:15 AM

2014 CTS-V (6spd, phantom grey), 2010 Cadillac Escalade ESV (black raven)
I liken car reviews to movie reviews.
I pick a reviewer I trust and then actually go see the movie to determine if I liked it or not.
I can't say if it's good or bad without actually having seen the movie.
Same thing with cars. I like to actually own one/drive one for an extended time before I can actually make a qualified judgement.
It seems, when taking part in several car forums, people will make unabashed criticisms/reviews of a car based on other reviews.
Just some food for thought...
Old 06-10-2010, 11:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
2009 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by SebringSilver
You also have to take into account that the data presented in that table is not directly comparable to one another. Some of those were done as a "full lap" (which has a much greater distance and thereby longer lap time), others are "factory claim"s. And then you have the "independent test"s, which opens up an even bigger can of worms.

The Nurburgring lap times should only be taken with a grain of salt, and not as gospel.
Unless you have a car that tested fast, then it is gospel!
Old 06-10-2010, 11:39 AM
SMP
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
CLK63 Black Series
Originally Posted by Oliverk
hmm, you seem confused. I, and most other people, would consider redline the point at which you hit the fuel cut rev limiter. Where the car makes peak power has nothing to do with how high it can actually rev. Whether or not you want to shift at redline is another matter. You claim that high revving motors burn oil. Yet the BS hits fuel cutoff at 7200rpm, which is not very high.

wow, so if I bought an AMG I could actually post here? Cool, I'll look into that.

Yeah, i've read about the swap and it doesn't seem to bad. The car understeers a little bit, but not enough for me to want to tear it all out just yet. Either way, its nice that the option is there.

PDK is an impressive product, especially with sport chrono. That said, I still prefer the enjoyment I get out of banging a perfect heel/toe downshift and just the feel of shifting for myself. To me a sports car is more about involvement than shifting in a tenth of a milisecond.
No comment .............this post speaks for itself .....thank you sir!
Old 06-10-2010, 11:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

R8
Originally Posted by norb
Unless you have a car that tested fast, then it is gospel!
LOL

Touche!
Old 06-10-2010, 02:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Porsche 996 gt3 cup, 09 Audi R8
I dont really muck around with lap times for road cars anymore...doesnt even come CLOSE to a purpose built racecar so I dont sweat those details (ehem, got one of those in the garage I can sweat in all I want

As far as the road however, IMHO, the black is one of the most amazing sports cars around. Why? its simply the precision and balance the car has for being so stable (read heavy lol) and comfortable at the same time. This car reminds me so much of a racecar in DYNAMIC its not even funny. Oh, that big brute of a motor is a blast as well.

Also, oversteer is WAY more fun on the road...finding "neutral" for a road cars steering is pointless...as normally neutral at roadway speeds equals understeer at high speed...so Ill take my crappy oversteer
Old 06-10-2010, 02:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
2018 E43 | 2017 GLS450 | 2004 CLK 500
Originally Posted by soldier2304
I would trade my C63 for a White CLK63 black series in a heartbeat if only i found it in white in the Miami area.
damn your sig is tight!
Old 06-10-2010, 02:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts
96 and 08 911 turbos
Originally Posted by SMP
No comment .............this post speaks for itself .....thank you sir!
it sure does, you look silly, again.
Old 06-10-2010, 03:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
E63 P30, CL500 Sport
Originally Posted by Jim Brady
Originally Posted by MB_Forever
Maybe this will put things in perspective....

This is a snapshot of Nurburgring lap times from wikipedia.....
The snapshot is a little incomplete, Bernd Schneider turned a 7:45 in Clk63 BS at the Ring as reported by Car&Driver. Ring conditions vary significantly due to the weather so I thought I'd add a reliable time that was achieved in good weather.

The published weight for the CLK63 BS includes the addition of a 160 lbs driver, full gas tank (89lbs) and 22lbs of luggage which most european manufactures use as the DIN weight. Porsche is the exception choosing to weight it's cars on the moon and without fluids.

As far as track prowess, the BS will destroy a F430 with equal drivers, the exception for be the F430 Scuderia. Those that choose to drive their cars rather than their key boards know this.
I was under the impression that the 7:45 was ran using a "suspension-tuned" version of the CLK Black Series but I could be wrong I remember reading that it was tuned specifically for the Nurburgring.

Anyways, here is a snapshot of Top Gear's track times as well.....

Old 06-10-2010, 05:19 PM
SMP
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK63 Black Series
The CLK63 BS was delivered with the tools in the glove box so you can "tune" the suspension to your liking or driving style. When I first got the cart, I did some changes to the set up, and after my first time with the car at the track I changed it again. I drive my car with those settings on the road, but there are some compromises to be made. In general, published lap times are a good indication what a specific car does against another, especially around the Nordschleife (times are excluding the old GP circuit) but really only provide bragging rights. What is more interesting as those times laid down by a professional, are the times the actual customer can wring out of the car. It's easy to watch someone on you-tube, but quite another to actually take your brand new car that you wrote a check for to the track and make it perform. I'm talking about a road course, as I don't personally care for drag racing, which doesn't mean that drag racing isn't a blast for the right guy. There are a bunch of cars out there that will out perform a CLK63 BS at the track (most of them for a lot more money), but not that many can be driven off the track as effortlessly and comfortable. When I shopped for a new car, I knew what I wanted, so there were only two cars to chose from. A CLK63 BS or the 997 GT3RS. Both were about the same money I wanted to spend, and I decided the BS works better for me. I live in a city that has some of the worst traffic, and since I owned some Porsche's in the past, wanted something that I can use whenever I felt like it. But than again, I might wake up one morning and have to have the 2011 GT3RS and get it. At the end it boils down what works for each and everyone and their specific needs.
Old 06-10-2010, 05:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63
CLK 63 AMG BLACK SERIES FTW!!!!!
Old 06-10-2010, 05:47 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'09 C63 AMG, '10 ML350 4Matic
Originally Posted by SMP
The CLK63 BS was delivered with the tools in the glove box so you can "tune" the suspension to your liking or driving style. When I first got the cart, I did some changes to the set up, and after my first time with the car at the track I changed it again. I drive my car with those settings on the road, but there are some compromises to be made. In general, published lap times are a good indication what a specific car does against another, especially around the Nordschleife (times are excluding the old GP circuit) but really only provide bragging rights. What is more interesting as those times laid down by a professional, are the times the actual customer can wring out of the car. It's easy to watch someone on you-tube, but quite another to actually take your brand new car that you wrote a check for to the track and make it perform. I'm talking about a road course, as I don't personally care for drag racing, which doesn't mean that drag racing isn't a blast for the right guy. There are a bunch of cars out there that will out perform a CLK63 BS at the track (most of them for a lot more money), but not that many can be driven off the track as effortlessly and comfortable. When I shopped for a new car, I knew what I wanted, so there were only two cars to chose from. A CLK63 BS or the 997 GT3RS. Both were about the same money I wanted to spend, and I decided the BS works better for me. I live in a city that has some of the worst traffic, and since I owned some Porsche's in the past, wanted something that I can use whenever I felt like it. But than again, I might wake up one morning and have to have the 2011 GT3RS and get it. At the end it boils down what works for each and everyone and their specific needs.
Well said. There are SO many considerations when buying a car (cost being one, but not for everybody). Daily driver v. weekend, comfort v. performance, functionality v. acctuality...there are such a wide range of cars to select from, and especially those that open up the check book for used (i don't like buying used, but that's just me).

In the end, some cars are better in certain categories...they've yet to make a car that tops ALL categories (speed, comfort, styling, handling, etc), but there are a few that have high marks in most categories.

For those that can afford more than just a daily driver for self and wife, having a CLK BS would make sense...but like you said, the 997GT3RS may be a good choice as well...different strokes...
Old 06-10-2010, 08:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63 P30, CL500 Sport
Originally Posted by SMP
Very well said and I agree with you that there are always many choices when buying a car. I love the black series and it will always be one of my all time favorite cars. My only annoyance is that Mercedes created it to be "just enough" to beat the competition instead of giving it the tools to "destroy" the competition. They should've probably started with a brand new chassis instead of improving upon a 10 year old chassis. They still did a good job. However, I would've liked it more had they made it 600 hp stock.

For example, at three different tracks, the CLK Black Series times were either just under or just over the E92 M3 DCT, Audi R8, BMW Z4M. All these cars are 100 hp less than the black series and I would've liked to have the black series "destroy" them on any track. I know the black series did well when a very skilled driver drove it and tuned it for the Nurbergring, but I bet that any car will do well when driven by a very good driver and tuned for a track. If you comapre just the standard times, they are very close

Either way, I personally love the black series and will likely own one in the future and will hopefully modify it and follow in Jim's footsteps

Last edited by MB_Forever; 06-10-2010 at 08:44 PM.
Old 06-10-2010, 09:50 PM
SMP
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK63 Black Series
Again, it depends what you're after. I love BMW M cars, had some in the past and currently own an M6. I know I know, another one of those oil burning, none manual stick shift (although SMG), heavy, low revving 8000 rpm , low torque producing, carbon fiber bits covered, over computerized and depreciating into oblivion cars . Some of those M's will turn equal/better or close lap times as a BS. The difference is that the BS was built for it, and all the high performance components that Mercedes added, especially the seem welding and triangulating, is going to withstand numerous trips to the track without developing problems or the chassis getting soft. That's another reason why it's not a light weight. Mercedes has no problems that you take your BS to the track, which says a lot about a manufacturer and their product, as Porsche has a different view of that. Most manufacturers try to build a car to fit a certain market segment, and because it's not in the best interest for business, won't build a car that destroys the opposition. Especially an established high line manufacturer. Because the only thing that it creates is that you just raised the bar too high and you have a tough time on the follow up. Nothing lasts for very long, especially in these times.

But, if you want to own a car that DESTROYS the opposition right now, there is help: The new Porsche GT2RS....... if you don't mind forking over a quarter million, that is. With only 3,020 pounds (though dry) and 620 HP will be in the right hands a very fast car on a track. Just don't be disappointed when there is also someone with a 599XX sharing the track with you.

Like I said, in the end it's what makes you personally most happy, not what someone or some tester in a magazine says.

BTW, Thank you very much to all you guys who expressed their love for a CLK63 BS and the kind words
Old 08-02-2010, 07:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
2008 BS
I will be in Vancouver for a week around the 20th of August...be interesting to see if anyone knows what they are there (other than Sebring).
Old 08-02-2010, 04:29 PM
LZH
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLK 63 Black Series, 2009 S550, 2011 Range Rover Supercharged, BMW F800 GS Anniv Edition
Originally Posted by Oliverk
it sure does, you look silly, again.
Actually, you are the only one in this thread who looks like a silly douche - as usual.