Non LSD vs LSD equipped 60ft times

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-26-2010, 11:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
C63 AMG
Non LSD vs LSD equipped 60ft times

So I read a few topics regarding the rear LSD and what not but the real questions is, what is the real improvement on the 60ft with the rear LSD? I went to a empty parking lot and I tested the launch and I clearly leave two steady black tire marks with traction control off and launching in M1.

I can do 1.9 60ft as it is but I am sure my car could do 1.7 with a set of sticky tires so what are you rear LSD equipped C63 AMG owners are pulling on the 60'? My point is if someone can prove me with real numbers that the rear LSD is worthy on a straight line. It seems like what we have from factory is plenty. I would like to see what are youir best 60' times on your equippped and non equipped LSD cars.

Basically I keep hearing from people with rear LSD cars that their cars are this and their cars are that. Well, lets settle this with real tested 60' times(timeslips,Vbox,Gtechs, etc) Thanks!!

Last edited by C63newdude; 06-26-2010 at 11:17 PM.
Old 06-26-2010, 11:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2006 E55 AMG
My best 60' time to date is a 1.585 with the Quaife LSD. Unfortunately I don't have any times with stock diffy and the same drag setup. I'm running the 16" CCW rims mounted with Hoosiers 255-50-16's. Just from what I've seen and experienced at the track the LSD mostly help in getting a proper burnout. I've seen so many people without LSD struggling at the waterbox doing one legged burnouts. If needed I have several time slips with 1.58-1.59's posted in the W211.

I've also witnessed another board member at Famoso ripping off mid to low 1.6's on stock diff but by end of the night his diff blew. This was done at a private rental where track prep was very good.
Old 06-26-2010, 11:52 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
2011 GLK 350, 2013 GT-R, & 2013 RAM 1500
A LSD really won't help much at the dragstrip other than getting you a nice consistent burnout. Certainly not required, though.

If you want low 60' times, slap on some drag radials, hook and go.
Old 06-27-2010, 12:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55 AMG
All though not needed if you plan on dragging your car often the strength of Quaife's LSD will be worth while. Nothing worse than limping off the drag strip with a AMG....don't ask me how I know.
Old 06-27-2010, 12:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 381 Likes on 237 Posts
2010 Irridium Silver MB C63 AMG Sedan
This whole LSD thing haunts the forum and me at night when I try to sleep a million times. I think it all depends on what the situation calls for. I didn't get it, but on the other hand don't find myself really needing it. And by needing it I mean testing the car to its limits on a daily basis.

But Super is right also...
Old 06-27-2010, 12:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 AMG
So what is happening on the rear axle of the non LSD C63 to hook up so well? I was always under the impression that only one wheel should spin when you disconnect the traction control.
You always read that the electronic traction control applies the ABS brakes to whatever tire starts spin but since the traction control is off one tire should spin like crazy but it doesn't, both do.
Old 06-27-2010, 12:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 AMG
Originally Posted by ZephyrAMG
This whole LSD thing haunts the forum and me at night when I try to sleep a million times. I think it all depends on what the situation calls for. I didn't get it, but on the other hand don't find myself really needing it. And by needing it I mean testing the car to its limits on a daily basis.

But Super is right also...
I had the Quaife rear LSD in my wish list but since I did the 275 tires and I am hooking up much better. I don't have rear LSD but like many other C63 non rear lsd equipped we see the two steady long dark tires stripes when launching.
Old 06-27-2010, 12:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 381 Likes on 237 Posts
2010 Irridium Silver MB C63 AMG Sedan
Originally Posted by C63newdude
I had the Quaife rear LSD in my wish list but since I did the 275 tires and I am hooking up much better. I don't have rear LSD but like many other C63 non rear lsd equipped we see the two steady long dark tires stripes when launching.
Well I am in deep consideration about getting the quaife but keep going back and forth because of what I will be demanding from the car. It is necessary for ultimate pull of a start and for turns but I want to mess with without for a while to really see how it performs. I don't think it makes or breaks for a little fun here and there...
Old 06-27-2010, 08:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 C63
I drove my car for about 2k miles with the stock (non-LSD) diff and then installed an LSD. I notice little difference in a straight line on dry, smooth pavement (although it has to help). Where I notice a HUGE difference is in cornering. My car used to spin its inside rear wheel when pulling into my driveway, even at low speeds (my driveway is steep and uphill from the street) - it does not do that anymore. The rear end just hooks up and the car goes up the drive with no drama. Same thing around town at corners or in tight bends - instead of the inside wheel spinning a bit and the car shutting power, you feel the inside wheel get a bit loose but before it can spin, the outside tire (with traction) hooks up and you go.
Old 06-28-2010, 02:11 AM

2009 C63 AMG - Steel Grey
Originally Posted by ATL_MB
I drove my car for about 2k miles with the stock (non-LSD) diff and then installed an LSD. I notice little difference in a straight line on dry, smooth pavement (although it has to help). Where I notice a HUGE difference is in cornering. My car used to spin its inside rear wheel when pulling into my driveway, even at low speeds (my driveway is steep and uphill from the street) - it does not do that anymore. The rear end just hooks up and the car goes up the drive with no drama. Same thing around town at corners or in tight bends - instead of the inside wheel spinning a bit and the car shutting power, you feel the inside wheel get a bit loose but before it can spin, the outside tire (with traction) hooks up and you go.
Thats what I noticed as well. Traction in turns has improved 10 fold. When its wet out on the roads my stock diff would spin the inside wheel constantly if I didnt watch the throttle, now with the Quaife its much better.
Old 06-28-2010, 02:33 AM

C63
+1 on the LSD (Quaife for me, other LSD's good also I am sure). It is not burn outs where I noticed and difference. Stock C63's can do that easy enough.

Go into a corner (moderate speed) and plant the right foot with confidence to bolt out of it. That is the difference for me. I am not talking about drifting, hooking or sliding (although that does sound fun). Rather it is on a 30 mph turn to 60+mph on a rise or other circumstance that has the car lighter/slanted due to physics. LSD has both rears turning - thus providing fewer surprises for a relatively novice driver such as myself. YMMV.

FYI, James at ACG in San Diego set me up. +1 again.
Old 06-28-2010, 07:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2013 Chevy 427 Torch Red
Instalation costs that I have heard mentioned seemed to be all over the place compared to long tubes which are consistently around $750. Any vendors want to chime in with a realistic quote for installing the Quafe that we can use for comparison at local shops?
Old 06-28-2010, 09:09 AM

2010 C63
I negotiated my install with the dealer when I purchased the car, so don't know what it costs. The diff has to be dropped from the car, so it won't be cheap - probably 8 hours or so. While the diff is out of the car, I would suggest replacing the stock diff covers with the finned covers from the factory LSD. I believe that they can be had for $300 or so online - reasonable when compared to cost of LSD + install. The diff covers have to come off anyway, so there's no additional cost for install. I think this would be essential for the OS Giken or other clutch-type units.
Old 06-28-2010, 12:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'15 VW GTI
I and a few others had this done back in the spring. Initial quotes from the dealer for a quaife install were around 1000, and that was going to be a group rate.

If you can find a master tech that does side work..you can expect to pay about 500, maybe 750 tops...and about 4 to 5 hours to remove and install.
Old 06-28-2010, 12:53 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Chrysler Crossfire
We've got Quaifes for 1000.00 shipped. We usually charge between 650 and 750 depending on the car and what else may need to be replaced while we are in there.
Old 07-01-2010, 02:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 AMG
That is a sick deal(above)
Old 07-01-2010, 05:22 AM

Supercharged E92 M3
when I had my LSD on my GTI I felt the biggest difference is on a road coarse.

I don't do much drag so I wouldn't know but was Alan mentioned a 1 legged burnout would make sense for sure.