X PIPE VS STRAIGHT PIPE

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-08-2010, 03:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
C63
Originally Posted by GHAZAN
He is laughing bc you were gullible enough to believe whoever told you that. Deleting 2ndary cats does not = void entire car warranty.
I never said entire car warranty will be voided. I said ENGINE WARRANTY. I said if the ENGINE takes a dump they will blame it on the 2ndary cats being removed. I know it sounds dumb but its true.
Now ask yourself this. Would you trust the word of a master certified tech who has been working on AMG's for over a 10 years and happens to be one of your best friends for just as long?? OR the word of a mb world forum member?? (for which I doubt has the same knowledge or experience of a master certified systems tech) He has personally seen this happen to cars at Mercedes. So again, I don't see whats so funny about all of this.
Old 07-08-2010, 10:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
So you are saying that your friend has seen an engine warranty claim being denied because the secondary cats were removed? Could you ask your friend what were the specific issues for denial? Affected AFRs? Seems far fetched, but, this is information that we could use. Tks.
Old 07-08-2010, 02:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63
Originally Posted by Sincity
So you are saying that your friend has seen an engine warranty claim being denied because the secondary cats were removed? Could you ask your friend what were the specific issues for denial? Affected AFRs? Seems far fetched, but, this is information that we could use. Tks.
Sure, ill talk to him when he gets off at work and give you the details.
Old 07-08-2010, 03:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63
I just spoke with my tech. He was working at Rusnak Mercedes at the time. and was doing work for a tunning company based in Socal. Anyway, Rusnak got a KLEEMAN tuned CLS55 (Tune, Headers, HFC's, no 2ndary cats) And the customer apparently blew the engine. So, having gone through the cars black box, my friend finds out since the car had no rev limiter he downshifted to second gear while going 130mph and blew the engine. The customer took the car to Rusnak and to see if the engine could get warrantied but he was s*** outta luck, They blamed it on the 2ndary cats being takin off. My tech decided to take on the job himself and did a engine rebuild for the customer. Took him about 2 weeks. The customer told my tech he was racing someone when this happenned.
Old 07-08-2010, 03:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
'10 C63
has anyone heard of a setup like this

long tube headers, primary cats deleted by LTH, secondary cats straight piped, resonators x-piped, and then a high flow resonator right before each muffler.

or straight pipe all the way from the LTHs
Old 07-08-2010, 04:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by _AMG_
And the customer apparently blew the engine. So, having gone through the cars black box, my friend finds out since the car had no rev limiter he downshifted to second gear while going 130mph and blew the engine. The customer took the car to Rusnak and to see if the engine could get warrantied but he was s*** outta luck, They blamed it on the 2ndary cats being takin off.
Thanks for taking the time to find out.

Kleemann should have stepped in since the rev limiter was taken off. Total BS to blame on the cats taken off since that was not the "proximate cause."
Old 07-08-2010, 04:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63
Originally Posted by Sincity
Thanks for taking the time to find out.

Kleemann should have stepped in since the rev limiter was taken off. Total BS to blame on the cats taken off since that was not the "proximate cause."
No problem.
I know it is messed up for the customer and is total BS. Its weird that they blamed the problem on taking off the 2ndary cats. But hey, i guess that's the way Mercedes dealerships work. Similar to what Nissan is doing to the GTR's launch control/transmission warranty.

Last edited by _AMG_; 07-08-2010 at 04:30 PM.
Old 07-08-2010, 04:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63
Originally Posted by bluejae
has anyone heard of a setup like this

long tube headers, primary cats deleted by LTH, secondary cats straight piped, resonators x-piped, and then a high flow resonator right before each muffler.

or straight pipe all the way from the LTHs
It would be even sicker if someone could "gut out" the muffler too. Never heard of this being done either. But im sure it would sound awesome.
Old 07-08-2010, 05:20 PM
SMP
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
CLK63 Black Series
I just spoke with my tech. He was working at Rusnak Mercedes at the time. and was doing work for a tunning company based in Socal. Anyway, Rusnak got a KLEEMAN tuned CLS55 (Tune, Headers, HFC's, no 2ndary cats) And the customer apparently blew the engine. So, having gone through the cars black box, my friend finds out since the car had no rev limiter he downshifted to second gear while going 130mph and blew the engine. The customer took the car to Rusnak and to see if the engine could get warrantied but he was s*** outta luck, They blamed it on the 2ndary cats being takin off. My tech decided to take on the job himself and did a engine rebuild for the customer. Took him about 2 weeks. The customer told my tech he was racing someone when this happenned.
Makes a lot of sense ........the ECU was re-programmed w/o a rev. limiter which caused the engine to detonate and they blamed it on the removal of the secondary cats? Not to mention all the other modifications ...... yeah right

BTW, you changed your story from your first post. Now it's an idiot driver who selects 2nd at 130 at a drag race??? And don't come back that he took his CLS to a road course, because those cars only are good for going in a straight line and handle like pigs in corners. Sometimes I wonder if people actually use their brain besides the basic instinct ......
Old 07-08-2010, 05:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63
Originally Posted by SMP
Makes a lot of sense ........the ECU was re-programmed w/o a rev. limiter which caused the engine to detonate and they blamed it on the removal of the secondary cats? Not to mention all the other modifications ...... yeah right

BTW, you changed your story from your first post. Now it's an idiot driver who selects 2nd at 130 at a drag race??? And don't come back that he took his CLS to a road course, because those cars only are good for going in a straight line and handle like pigs in corners. Sometimes I wonder if people actually use their brain besides the basic instinct ......
I never changed my story, The member SINCITY wanted to know if there was a case that MB voided the warranty because of the secondary cats being removed. And I told him one. How is that changing the story around??? Ive always said it from the start of this thread that MB will void warranty if you remove secondary cats IF the engine takes a dump. Im not going to sit here and debate with you after proving to everyone here that there has been an incident of MB voiding the warranty because of removing secondary cats. Are you a master certified tech that has worked on more AMG's then you can count for over 10+ years?? Highly unlikely. So don't try to prove me wrong after i gave you hard facts directly from a person i personally know who has been working for Mercedes for over 10 years.
Old 07-08-2010, 05:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2013 Chevy 427 Torch Red
My Kleemann tune retains the rev limiter which I bang into on occasion.
Old 07-08-2010, 05:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 381 Likes on 237 Posts
2010 Irridium Silver MB C63 AMG Sedan
Hmmph...sounds good to me. Put me down for one of those

I know someone who also did something similar (and don't release the dogs on me but I can't remember exactly) on an M3 and they denied engine warranty. He almost lost it in the service center and tears flooded his eyes. These manufacturers are picky and serious when it comes to ferking with thier engines...
Old 07-08-2010, 06:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'15 VW GTI
nothing like the days of 4 bbl carbs...
Old 07-08-2010, 08:58 PM
SMP
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
CLK63 Black Series
I never changed my story, The member SINCITY wanted to know if there was a case that MB voided the warranty because of the secondary cats being removed. And I told him one. How is that changing the story around??? Ive always said it from the start of this thread that MB will void warranty if you remove secondary cats IF the engine takes a dump. Im not going to sit here and debate with you after proving to everyone here that there has been an incident of MB voiding the warranty because of removing secondary cats. Are you a master certified tech that has worked on more AMG's then you can count for over 10+ years?? Highly unlikely. So don't try to prove me wrong after i gave you hard facts directly from a person i personally know who has been working for Mercedes for over 10 years.
No, I'm not a master technician for the past 10 years, but buy my cars new for the past 15 years and have deleted the secondary cats w/o any of the engines ever taking a "dump" on me. I also use my own brain to decide what can be done and what not, rather than being a follower, since it was the very same that got me to the point where I can afford these cars.

BTW, did you and Mr. Master Technician just recently become best pals??? Otherwise why would you ask this board TWICE the same question within a month when you have Mr. Almighty on stand by
Old 07-08-2010, 09:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63
Originally Posted by SMP
No, I'm not a master technician for the past 10 years
I REST MY CASE....

And i have known my friend for 25 years. Why do you want to know how long ive known him for anyway??

Im not here to argue with you or anyone for that matter. Ill END this debate by saying this....
Believe whatever you want to believe, doesn't make any difference to me.
good enough??

Last edited by _AMG_; 07-08-2010 at 09:50 PM.
Old 07-08-2010, 10:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MBUSA
I still don't buy it, but whatever works for you.
Old 07-11-2010, 03:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W211 E63
Originally Posted by miami1lt
I replaced both sec cats and resonator w/ x-pipe...no drone, but the signature C63 sound is gone...it sounds much more Italian now. Anyway, I like you guys, enjoy my decision...didn't see any gains in power, but love the high-revving and free sound it has now.
While I agree your MB Tech doesn't sound very smart (and Superlubes car does NOT sound stock by ANY means), you did what you wanted...congrats, glad you like your setup!
Strongly Agree, my E63 has K2 headers>high flow primary cats> no 2ndary Cats>X-pipe>stock resonator>stock muffler and it sounded really civilized and Italian.

Yesterday had the X pipe taken out and replace with straight pipes between high flow cats and stock resonator, the car now has a more muscle car sound but I can feel I have lost some low end torque.

Will do some 100km > 200 km runs with DBox later this week, if the time is similar to my prior setup I will probably go back the setup with X-pipe.
Old 07-11-2010, 02:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63
Originally Posted by box986
Strongly Agree, my E63 has K2 headers>high flow primary cats> no 2ndary Cats>X-pipe>stock resonator>stock muffler and it sounded really civilized and Italian.

Yesterday had the X pipe taken out and replace with straight pipes between high flow cats and stock resonator, the car now has a more muscle car sound but I can feel I have lost some low end torque.

Will do some 100km > 200 km runs with DBox later this week, if the time is similar to my prior setup I will probably go back the setup with X-pipe.
It might have lost some low end torque but might have gained top end power.
Old 08-09-2010, 07:38 PM

996tt Protomotive, C63
Just read though the whole thread. It should be pointed out that Warranty should get decline due to Tune and no rev limiter.
I guess Rusnak MB did not care much. Decline was decline anyway. But it makes them look bad and they are not doing a good job in educating their Master certified techs eitheir.
It is ok when you trust your certified tech. But believe me, there are many Master certified techs out there those climb though unscrewing bolts and put back in parts. Some have no deep knowledge how advance parts/control system are designed also their function, specialy in aftermarket/modify area where they do not often handle.

I just spoke with my tech. He was working at Rusnak Mercedes at the time. and was doing work for a tunning company based in Socal. Anyway, Rusnak got a KLEEMAN tuned CLS55 (Tune, Headers, HFC's, no 2ndary cats) And the customer apparently blew the engine. So, having gone through the cars black box, my friend finds out since the car had no rev limiter he downshifted to second gear while going 130mph and blew the engine. The customer took the car to Rusnak and to see if the engine could get warrantied but he was s*** outta luck, They blamed it on the 2ndary cats being takin off. .

Last edited by aroonkl; 08-09-2010 at 07:49 PM.
Old 08-09-2010, 10:05 PM

C63 AMG (P31)
I also just read through the whole entire thread but it didn't take much to realize the hostility. Had fun reading it though
I finally got my car back after a recent accident that took me away from my baby for about 3 months, and all I have to say is just enjoy the car. It's truly a beautiful thing. No hate necessary.
I'm removing my secondary cats with straight pipes and deleting the resonators with an x-pipe next week.
I'm still debating on pipe size but I'll see what my tech recommends.
Hope it’s not too loud though...
Have fun guys

Last edited by ayowhatup; 08-09-2010 at 10:11 PM.
Old 03-15-2011, 09:42 PM

white 1993 mercedes benz sl600 auto / black 2007 ford ranger fx4 level 11 4x4 standard 4.0 l
hi bruce can i do this with my 1993sl600