Prospective C63 Buyer - Question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-06-2010, 08:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 C350 & 2003 M5
Prospective C63 Buyer - Question

Hey everyone,

Just signed up to the forum to get a little bit of insight on the C63. I personally own a 2003 E39 M5 and looking for a car for the wife and we were checking out the C350's and being the power torque junkie that I am, started looking at the C63 as an option as well.

I spend a lot of time on the forums and do mods and try to really enjoy the cars so having another powerful car wouldn't be a bad thing. I wanted to get some in's and out's of the C63.

I know it might be a bit too much power for the wife but she only drives to work and back and everything else I actually drive when we are together so that's the time for me to enjoy it.

As much of a BMW fan I have been over the years I can't help but say that the new MB's are looking nicer and nicer. So if you guys can give me some unbiased help that would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Old 07-06-2010, 08:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

R8
It's not too much power for your wife (or anyone's wife) to handle. Just drive it like a normal everyday car and it's as docile as anything. What you'll want to think twice about is the fuel consumption though. As gentle as you (or she) will be with the throttle, you're still looking at 14 - 16 mpg average.

Welcome to MBWorld.
Old 07-06-2010, 08:19 PM

2010 C350 & 2003 M5
Originally Posted by SebringSilver
It's not too much power for your wife (or anyone's wife) to handle. Just drive it like a normal everyday car and it's as docile as anything. What you'll want to think twice about is the fuel consumption though. As gentle as you (or she) will be with the throttle, you're still looking at 14 - 16 mpg average.

Welcome to MBWorld.
Thanks!

Yeah that is one thing I have always kept in mind and will have to talk to my wife about. But if her heart gets set on the looks and status of a C63 then she is gonna want it. Which in the end I won't mind cause of my driving history haha.

As far as gas milage; I am well aware of it because my car does about the same. For her it's going to be a big change coming from an accord coupe to this car.
Old 07-06-2010, 08:22 PM

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
14 GL550; 14 E63s
Unbiased? Kind of hard on this forum.

Personally I'd go drive everything in this class and make a decision based on what moves ya. Drive the C63, M3, M5, RS4, CTS-V, IS-F, etc. I think all of these cars are great for every day drivers such as your wife, but can turn into a beast in the right hands, or should I say feet.

I love mine as I'm sure every member on this forum does. I get a smile every time I fire it up! Be ready to pay for tires and frequently even if you don't drive it hard. That's really my only complaint, but I knew that going into the deal. The gas tank is also a bit small, but you get used to it.

Enjoy the test drives!
Old 07-07-2010, 09:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2017 Mini Cooper S Clubman ALL4 - British Racing Green
Status... should never be part of any purchase like this.... Buy it because you like to, and want to drive it, not because its pretty and shiny. If the latter is the case.. let someone else who would appreciate it more.

Not trying to be a jerk, but people buying expensive and fancy cars as status symbols just furthers the stereotype that BMW/MB/Audi/$expensive_car drivers are douchebags....

ps.. yes I am a geek, and yes I managed to insert a variable statement in my comment
Old 07-07-2010, 09:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2021 Taycan Turbo, 2018 Radical SR3, 2021 Lincoln Aviator
How much does she like to go fast? The reason I ask is that even if she'll drive it normally, when it's your turn to drive, she won't allow you to go fast if she doesn't like hardcore cars. My friend blacked out for a fraction of a second when I stepped on the gas 5-60, and he loves fast cars!

Also how experienced of a driver is she? I know older people that had lambos and ferrarris buy a C63 for fun and tell me they got scared a couple of times so they sold the car. That's how scary it can be, I'm not the first one to say it's an axe murderer on wheels and that the car is trying to kill you.

In my book a C350 would be plenty fast for her, also take into account her friends know nothing about cars so they will never know the difference between a C350 and C63, so the status thing won't count for much.
Old 07-07-2010, 10:47 AM

2010 C350 & 2003 M5
Thanks for all the great replies.

As far as the status thing goes, didn't mean to come off as that's why I would buy that car or why she would like it. Bad choice of words. She loved the look of the C63 and interior a lot more than the regular C350. Definitely not "status" like that. Definitely won't be buying any car to show off or anything like that, so sorry if it came off that way in the post.

I'm a car enthusiast, hence my older M5 that I have modified over the years. I am still stuck on it and don't feel like changing it out just cause there is a newer one out. I have never been mistaken for the typical BMW/MB snob that have given the cars a bad name.

@ jvanbrecht I totally got your variable reference since I am a tech guy myself.
Old 07-07-2010, 10:48 AM

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
12C P85DL
Wow!
Apples and Oranges….
I build tuning tools for MB and BMW and have always been a BMW fan right up until they did the V10 (my V8 M5 was subsequently traded in on a RS6). I end up driving a lot of different MBs and the C63 is the only one that I have found that gets remotely close to everything I like about BMWs. Coil over dampers do it for me. It is not that one is better; it’s that drivers tend to migrate to one or the other naturally because of the feel of the car.

My current daily driver is 535. A software update alone makes it a real hoot to drive every day because of the torque EVERYWHERE. I’ve got a C63 in my garage now working on updating some of my programmers/loggers and, although it is a hoot to drive and faster than my 535, I would not trade. If the lack of speed is you concern, consider the new 550 with the twin turbo V8. A firmware update puts another 100 ft-lbs of torque to the ground which will make it more than a match for the C63 (even tuned) and you get a bigger more comfortable chassis.

I agree with the other guys here in that it really comes down to what you (or your wife) really like to drive. It is the smile on your face every time you go somewhere that is important.
Old 07-07-2010, 11:06 AM

2010 C350 & 2003 M5
@lolachamcar

The main reason I am looking at the C63 for the wife is because of the size. She is very petite so a car bigger than that just doesn't fit her well either. She is not a fan of the 5 series or E class because of the actual size of the car. Because of that we have not gone towards any other model of car. I want to try and stay within that class. The only other one I can think of for her to check out would be the new 4 door M3.
Old 07-07-2010, 11:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 167 Likes on 133 Posts
2021 Porsche TTS
I don't really follow lola's comments.
If the OP had an M5 before and enjoys fast cars, then the C63 is a comparison to the M5.
Just like everyone stated, go test drive it and you will understand why it puts a grin on your face. I had an E46 M3, 997S, S4 before and I prefer the C63 as the whole car is very well balanced and hits the right notes.
It is not perfect (bad gas mileage and eats tires like crazy).
Finally, if lola thinks that a tuned 550 will be more than a match for a tuned C63, he is dreaming. At the last mile run here in FL, even tuned CTS-V and M6 did not perform as well as the C63...
Old 07-07-2010, 11:35 AM

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
12C P85DL
Originally Posted by emericr
Just like everyone stated, go test drive it and you will understand why it puts a grin on your face. I had an E46 M3, 997S, S4 before and I prefer the C63 as the whole car is very well balanced and hits the right notes. ...
Yes, personal preference and I was simply stating mine. I know, I know, your opinion is better than mine. Sorry, I am just a bit slow getting used to it.

Originally Posted by emericr
Finally, if lola thinks that a tuned 550 will be more than a match for a tuned C63, he is dreaming.
To clarify, driving a firmware updated C63 versus a firmware updated 2011 550 with the seven series' V8 twin turbo motor should throw the edge to the BMW IMHO. Again, this is simply my opinion.

Lastly, the chassis size thing makes all the sense in the world and the C63 should be a lot more fun than the M3 if only for the gobs of torque on the 63. The new 5 is based on the 7's chassis and is HUGE. I drove one and suspect it will be scavenging 7 series sales.
Old 07-07-2010, 12:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

R8
Originally Posted by Stack24
@lolachamcar

The main reason I am looking at the C63 for the wife is because of the size. She is very petite so a car bigger than that just doesn't fit her well either. She is not a fan of the 5 series or E class because of the actual size of the car. Because of that we have not gone towards any other model of car. I want to try and stay within that class. The only other one I can think of for her to check out would be the new 4 door M3.
Aside from the M3 sedan, I don't think you should rule out the Lexus IS-F. If your wife is indeed on the petite side, the IS-F might be a good fit, as it's a bit smaller than even a C63, and has similar levels of performance and luxury.

The important thing is to take her with you for those test drives and see which car she feels best in. Happy shopping!
Old 07-07-2010, 12:15 PM

2010 C350 & 2003 M5
Originally Posted by SebringSilver
Aside from the M3 sedan, I don't think you should rule out the Lexus IS-F. If your wife is indeed on the petite side, the IS-F might be a good fit, as it's a bit smaller than even a C63, and has similar levels of performance and luxury.

The important thing is to take her with you for those test drives and see which car she feels best in. Happy shopping!
We actually were at the Lexus dealership before that and I showed it to her but she wasn't the biggest fan of it. She has never been a real fan of the Lexus that's why it has sort of been narrowed down to the Benz or BMW. The only other one she sort of liked is the Is5 from Audi but that's a two door and she has a two door now and believes she wants to get away with that.

We are going to go and test drive more for sure till we get it right, we sort of went there on a whim cause my bro in law was looking at cars and test drove just the C350 at the moment. Still gonna get back and drive the C63 and check out BMW for sure.

The guy was begging us to stay and buy the C350 right then so I know they want to get the 2010's off the lot before they 2011 comes in apparently so might be able to get a decent deal on the C63. I know the Sticker was about 72 on it. It also didn't have the normal AMG wheels it had some black powder coated wheels on it.

Anything new on the 2011 that is being talked about worth waiting for?
Old 07-07-2010, 12:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

R8
I don't think there's anything radically different in the 2011s, so maybe your best bet is indeed to negotiate a good deal for any 2010 C63 that they might have on the lot, provided it has the right colour and combination of options that are important to you and the missus.

One other bit of morsel for consideration: what happens in the winter? Do you live in a region where you have mild winters or do you get a lot of snow? Might want to take that into account as well.
Old 07-07-2010, 02:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2009 C63, 2007 GL 450
My wife drives my C63 all the time in C-mode and she finds it fine to do DD sort of things such going to the store for groceries etc. The back-seats are pretty well useless for any adult for a trip over a 45 min. As others have stated gas consumption sucks. I have also used the car in the winter and it is fine except for the days that it really snows. You just need to remember that you have RWD and 350hp+ at the wheels so you need to be careful. ESP will kick on all the time if you are not use to it in snow and slush. On the guy begging you to take the 350...that makes sense as they probably need to move inventory on base versions of c-class. Can you list what they had as far as options at $72K? I would ask them for some different tires if you do the deal as the P-zeros are useless and will last very short amount of time under any form of aggresive driving. Plenty of options out there as per other threads.
Old 07-07-2010, 02:59 PM

2010 C350 & 2003 M5
I actually have just moved to Orange County last year from Houston so I don't have any idea what a real winter is hahah.

I will try to stop by the dealership and get the sticker and options that are on the car. They only have 1 on the lot that will be the combo I would want which is a white in color. The rest are black and one red I believe which I doubt she would like. She likes the white and so do I hence my E39 M5 is Alpine White.

Thanks again for everyone's input I really do appreciate it. Despite what everyone in the BMW community says you guys are good guys hahah J/K of course.
Old 07-07-2010, 05:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
'18 C63A Cabriolet
I actually have just moved to Orange County last year from Houston so I don't have any idea what a real winter is hahah.

I will try to stop by the dealership and get the sticker and options that are on the car. They only have 1 on the lot that will be the combo I would want which is a white in color. The rest are black and one red I believe which I doubt she would like. She likes the white and so do I hence my E39 M5 is Alpine White.

Thanks again for everyone's input I really do appreciate it. Despite what everyone in the BMW community says you guys are good guys hahah J/K of course.
Real winter in OC feels just about identical to the weather we've had for the past week. Overcast and cold! Welcome.

I know the gang down at Fletcher Jones very well (sales, service and parts) and can steer you in the right direction if you need anything (and you are using them as your dealer).
Old 07-07-2010, 05:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
'18 C63A Cabriolet

By the way, my suggestion would be to find a super low mileage 2009 CPO car and save yourself around $20K in the process. You can get one nicely equipped for a hair over $50K that's barely been driven. No rear view camera or park assist, though.
Old 07-07-2010, 07:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 167 Likes on 133 Posts
2021 Porsche TTS
Op: sorry to hijack the thread a bit but I cannot help myself as I need to answer lola.
Regarding my opinion on the C63, I never meant to say that mine was better than yours. I apologize if you thought that is what I meant.
That was the reason why I told the OP to go drive them as everyone is different. There are plenty of cars in the 60K range and you have to find what you and your wife likes the best. I believe the answers above have stated all the pros and cons of the C63. There are plenty of worthy other cars out there (Audi S4, RS4, S5, S6, BMW M5, M6, Merc CLS63, etc...)
However, it is not my opinion regarding the 550 tuned. (check the topgunrun.com site). If an M6 conv with custom airbox and a tuned CTS-V (2010) cannot beat a tuned C63, then it makes no sense that a tuned 550 would be beating the C63...
Respectfully.