Sponsored by:

how much have you paid for service A

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 02:44 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2012 E350 4matic
how much have you paid for service A

Went to an independent shop today. (ex-MB techs) and brought my own oil. out the door for 90 dollars for an A service. hows that rate with what you all are paying?
Old 07-12-2010, 03:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
See Sig
Originally Posted by eagle_lex
Went to an independent shop today. (ex-MB techs) and brought my own oil. out the door for 90 dollars for an A service. hows that rate with what you all are paying?
How much did they do?

You paid:

$70 in oil
$20 in filter
$90 in labor
------------
$180

But for what?? Most of service a is inspection. Im sure the independent shop didnt do the full inspection and top off all fluids. You got a $180 oil change and a computer reset.

Correct me if im wrong...

I paid $365.... ill edit back the details.

$230 in labor
$136 in parts
----------------
$365 + Tax

Parts include: 10 Qt of Oil. Filter. Wiper Blades.
Old 07-12-2010, 03:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C63 AMG
Does any one know how to reset the service due reminder? I looked in the book but couldn't find anything on reseting.
Thanks to anyone who helps me out.

Rich
Old 07-12-2010, 03:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

See Sig
Originally Posted by C63RAT
Does any one know how to reset the service due reminder? I looked in the book but couldn't find anything on reseting.

Rich

Cant.
Old 07-12-2010, 03:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 381 Likes on 237 Posts
2010 Irridium Silver MB C63 AMG Sedan
Thats what I paid. $360 for service A.

I would rather have the dealership look at it with all the right equipment at their disposal than a off the side shop. Right oil, right filter, right support pads to raise the car, right wrench and tools, right inpection (to know what to be looking for), etc...

I don't get it. We pay about $60K for a car, then spend $300+ in tires every 5 months, spend $1500 in brake rotars and pads, pay $1500+ in difusers and spoilers and lips, $1000K in tint, then we skimp out on a cruicial, documented, procedure to save $100...
Old 07-12-2010, 04:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

See Sig
Originally Posted by ZephyrAMG
Thats what I paid. $360 for service A.

I would rather have the dealership look at it with all the right equipment at their disposal than a off the side shop. Right oil, right filter, right support pads to raise the car, right wrench and tools, right inpection (to know what to be looking for), etc...

I don't get it. We pay about $60K for a car, then spend $300+ in tires every 5 months, spend $1500 in brake rotars and pads, pay $1500+ in difusers and spoilers and lips, $1000K in tint, then we skimp out on a cruicial, documented, procedure to save $100...

So true.. im agreeing a lot with you this week...
Old 07-12-2010, 05:00 PM

2012 E350 4matic
well actually the shop i went to is owned by an ex-MB tech. he is the one who looked at my car and he topped everything off and checked over the car. now did he do EXACTLY what MB would have done. IDK. but how much can a car need that only has 6300 miles on it? and it was an MB filter i watched him put it in. IMO still seems like a lot in labor. i think we are all obviously paying the MB tax if you ask me.
Old 07-12-2010, 05:32 PM

2009 c63
Originally Posted by C63RAT

Rich
nothing fancy required - I'm pretty sure there's a "reset service indicator" type choice on the "Service" menu
Old 07-12-2010, 06:35 PM

2012 E350 4matic
It isnt as easy as pushing one button but its not surgery. If i can find it there is a mb star web site that tells u how to do it.
Old 07-12-2010, 07:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by propain
So true.. im agreeing a lot with you this week...

I'm assuming your at least 29 years old...

With some years common sense is starting to kick in...
Old 07-12-2010, 07:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by ZephyrAMG
I'm assuming your at least 29 years old...

With some years common sense is starting to kick in...
He's on his meds again. Or is that a different member? I forget.....
Old 07-12-2010, 07:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Sincity
I think that was Dymrik(spelling?) in Alabama and his "Anyone die in a C63 Yet?" post...
Old 07-12-2010, 07:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

See Sig
Originally Posted by Sincity

Ouch! That cut me deep Sin...

Yes.. Dmyrick or something....
Old 07-12-2010, 08:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by propain
Ouch! That cut me deep Sin...

Yes.. Dmyrick or something....
Sorry...yes. It is Dmyrick.
Old 07-12-2010, 08:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'14 911S (garage queen) '13 X3 (family hauler)
I've always brought my cars BMW, MB, etc to the dealerships--sure you pay a bit more for the service, but like Zephyr said, they have all of the equipment, etc.

And really is saving a few hundred bucks on service once a year really that big of a deal in your world, if it is you probably shouldn't be driving this car (a general comment to anyone, not directly pointed at you Eagle)

I hear you Eagle about saving some money, but unless your local dealer really sucks, which some really do, I just wouldn't risk it. my.02

Do you guys ever watch the techs service your cars?
I'm thinking about it with my C63 (or E63--it's in another thread) just because these cars are much rarer than the usual MBs and they require some unique things like specific oil, LSD fluids, special plug for the LSD, etc.

Thoughts on watching the tech
Old 07-12-2010, 09:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I'm reading that Service A is basically an oil change and fluid check.
Old 07-12-2010, 11:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
C63 AMG
I just paid $261 for mine including 10 quarts of oil and pressure testing my cooling system due to a cooling light coming out here and there.

I think for $260 you can complaint considering that you get a full report(pink paper) from the dealer and they also wash your car. Last but not least I also got a courtesy car as well so I guess that if you are just looking at getting a $90 oil change you can go that route but other wise you are getting first class service going with the dealer.
Old 07-12-2010, 11:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C63 AMG(sold), 2009 CL550, 2010 S550 Majestic Black, 2010 ML550, 2006 C230, 2009 Venza
$180 was a good price for what you paid for service A. And for those saying that it shud be done at the stealership, do you really know WTH they really do to your car. One thing is what they say in paper, but another one is what they actually do...
Old 07-13-2010, 09:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

See Sig
Originally Posted by soldier2304
$180 was a good price for what you paid for service A. And for those saying that it shud be done at the stealership, do you really know WTH they really do to your car. One thing is what they say in paper, but another one is what they actually do...

I would rather bring a problem with my warranty MB back to the dealer and make a claim because they messed something up while it was in the shop for service then some mom and pop shop. Good luck getting the mom and pop shop to fix it.

Were talking a difference of $80 here.

For $80 more I pulled up and got my *** kissed for 5 mins. Then they rolled in a loaner and said "we will call you later, have a wonderful day" I was out of there in 15 mins.

Couple of questions to make things interesting:

1. Was the shop an authorized MB repair shop?

2. If that shop worked on your car and was NOT authorized will it void a warranty claim?

3. Will you have a record of getting the service A done other than a receipt from some mom and pop shop?
Old 07-13-2010, 09:33 AM

2012 E350 4matic
all valid points. and i take no offense of course!!! to answer Propain's questions

1) i guess not because its privately owned by some ex MB mechanics not a dealership.

2) im not sure how an oil change and fluid check could void the warranty unless you did NOT change the oil and filter. both of which i observed them do.

3) no record obviously at the dealership for this A service but how is that different than some guys doing their own oil changes? im on record at the shop and i have a receipt.

if i had other warranty issues with the car or CEL coming on or any other issues i would have probably left Service A to the dealer and had them address the other issues. since i had no issues and the car is driven VERY soft.... i thought i would try out the independent shop that a ton of people rave about here locally. they told me they had 2100 MBs in their system that they have done work on. is this a true statement? i dont know. but they are well advertised and i know probably 10 MB owners who use them. probaby the safest bet is the dealer but i thought i would give this guy a shot. i didnt think an oil change was that big of a deal as long as it was done.

its nice to get everyone's opinions and to discuss all these small details that most other car brands guys would probably never discuss. i NEVER had my corvette serviced at GM and to be honest i cringe at the thought of having my local GM dealer do anything to a car. thats one reason why i dont buy GM anymore. my Nissan has never been to the dealer for a service. i use another well known indy shop here who has done everything to it. 106k miles and runs like new or at least has no issues.
Old 07-13-2010, 10:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

See Sig
Originally Posted by eagle_lex
all valid points. and i take no offense of course!!! to answer Propain's questions

1) i guess not because its privately owned by some ex MB mechanics not a dealership.

2) im not sure how an oil change and fluid check could void the warranty unless you did NOT change the oil and filter. both of which i observed them do.

3) no record obviously at the dealership for this A service but how is that different than some guys doing their own oil changes? im on record at the shop and i have a receipt.

if i had other warranty issues with the car or CEL coming on or any other issues i would have probably left Service A to the dealer and had them address the other issues. since i had no issues and the car is driven VERY soft.... i thought i would try out the independent shop that a ton of people rave about here locally. they told me they had 2100 MBs in their system that they have done work on. is this a true statement? i dont know. but they are well advertised and i know probably 10 MB owners who use them. probaby the safest bet is the dealer but i thought i would give this guy a shot. i didnt think an oil change was that big of a deal as long as it was done.

its nice to get everyone's opinions and to discuss all these small details that most other car brands guys would probably never discuss. i NEVER had my corvette serviced at GM and to be honest i cringe at the thought of having my local GM dealer do anything to a car. thats one reason why i dont buy GM anymore. my Nissan has never been to the dealer for a service. i use another well known indy shop here who has done everything to it. 106k miles and runs like new or at least has no issues.
Im not sure but I think to keep your MB warranty valid you must perform the scheduled services.

Im not really sure on that though....

Oil changes are fine at any shop. Services are different I think...

Again, not sure. Im new to this "Service A" "Service B" "Give me your money" BS.
Old 07-13-2010, 11:20 AM

2012 E350 4matic
well Propain i am as well. who knows. i think MB would have to prove something was missed in the service to void your warranty. like i said... at LEAST i used a prior MB certified tech. not some shade tree guy or myself! ha ha im sure they would have a better chance at saying i messed it up over this guy. they know him and know his training. im good at what i do but im far from a mechanic!
Old 07-29-2010, 09:20 AM

2009 E350, 2002 GT2, 2004 SC M3, 2010 C63
It is not the master tech at the dealership that is doing your service....usually it is some kid.

My independent, on the other hand, has the best Porsche, BMW, and MB techs in town working for them.

The only problem is they charge almost as much as the stealer.
Old 07-29-2010, 01:22 PM

10 C63
It's honestly sad how ignorant some people are thinking most dealerships employ gentlemen with superior ethical morals and advanced technical abilities to service your Mercedes Benz. I've noticed (in general) as I've aged that the technical knowledge of the online forum audiences in regards to automotive 'know-how' degrades the more expensive the vehicles are. This seems to go hand in hand with the level of 'ignorance is bliss' mentality.

The truth is, that almost dealerships employ young mechanics (aka kids) who could careless whether they poured transmission oil or gear oil into your engine.

The most important thing about a mechanic IMO, is finding one whom you trust, who is honest and has experience in diagnosing/fixing automotive issues and won't admit when he's wrong or he's touched your steering wheel with his greasy hands. It helps if they've also worked on specific models/makes.

As long as any car I own is under warranty, I will service it myself (oil, brakes ie. regular maintenance) unless its something which requires significant overhaul or work. I don't trust any mechanic, because although they may change your oil, it's not to say they won't accidentally scratch your paint with a wrench or socket. End of the day there is no mechanic as picky or as thorough as myself
Old 07-29-2010, 01:44 PM

2012 E350 4matic
great point pdjafari. im lazy so i just let the trusted indy guy do the work while i watched. everyone has an opinion on it and thats great. end of the day its your car do what makes you feel comfortable.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: how much have you paid for service A