Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-18-2010, 01:38 AM
kbk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
10 ML450h; 10 C63
Extended warranty and wheel/tire coverage

Hi all,

When I picked up my car this afternoon, I got suckered into buying a wheel/tire protection plan (5yr for $1680) and an extended warranty (36 month/75k miles for $3860). Now that I am back home and had some beer, my usual comon sense is slowly coming back and I am feeling that I might have paid too much for them along with their qustionable utility.

For the tire/wheel plan, I have 60 days to cancel for a full refund, and for the extended warranty, I can cancel anytime before the factory warranty runs out.

I am sure there are more experienced members regarding this issue and would love get some advice.

Thanks a bunch!
Old 07-18-2010, 02:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Extended warranty may be worth it, but the wheel/tire warranty definitely isnt.

$0.02
Old 07-18-2010, 09:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
See Sig
Originally Posted by kbk
Hi all,

When I picked up my car this afternoon, I got suckered into buying a wheel/tire protection plan (5yr for $1680) and an extended warranty (36 month/75k miles for $3860). Now that I am back home and had some beer, my usual comon sense is slowly coming back and I am feeling that I might have paid too much for them along with their qustionable utility.

For the tire/wheel plan, I have 60 days to cancel for a full refund, and for the extended warranty, I can cancel anytime before the factory warranty runs out.

I am sure there are more experienced members regarding this issue and would love get some advice.

Thanks a bunch!
Meh...

unless you suck at parking you will never see enough curb rash on those rims to justify the $1680. Also you will chew through rear tires every 4K. LONG before any warranty is used.

Sorry dude, but yes, that guy who sits you down at the end to sell you crap is a crook. Avoid him at all costs.

Im curious though on the extended warranty terms. 75K miles on top of your warranty? Or up to 75K miles and 3 more years to get there?

I think you pretty much have a 7 year 75K mile warranty. Not so bad if you have a long loan and plan to keep her that long. Little over 10K miles a year. This part isnt that bad in my opinion.
Old 07-18-2010, 11:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 75 Likes on 50 Posts
Hyperion's Candy-Coated 4 x 4
Only thing I went for was the LoJack and even that has me rethinking (although it does make my insurance go down a bit). I just got a nail in the shoulder of my tire at 600miles, but even then Im still glad I didnt get the wheel and tire protection (from what I remember). Do they replace worn tires under the warranty or just punctured/shredded tires?
Old 07-18-2010, 03:55 PM
kbk

10 ML450h; 10 C63
It is actually 7yr/75k miles total (not 50k + 75K miles). I totally agree that the wheel/tire plan is a waste of $$$. I am going to cancel both tomorrow and start calling dealers around for a better deal on the 7yr/75k mile warranty. Thanks a lot for your inputs
Old 07-18-2010, 11:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
no more AMG
Originally Posted by kbk
Hi all,

Thanks a bunch!
Did you get the 19" style V's with it? If so, I've heard a few members having issue's with them cracking in potholed area's so many it might be worth it.
Old 07-19-2010, 12:12 AM

C63 AMG
I regret getting the wheel/tire coverage too. I'm not even using the stock Pirelli rubber any more.
Old 07-19-2010, 12:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 381 Likes on 237 Posts
2010 Irridium Silver MB C63 AMG Sedan
I got the tire/wheel warranty but I am currently in Chicago. The roads here are so-so, but the highways SUCK. I guess depends on the roads and how you park. When I was looking for C63s, I saw a couple used ones with terrrrrrible curb rash on all 4 wheels...

Each rim is about $1K and the warranty is just a bit over that but they will totally replace a rim if need be...
Old 07-19-2010, 10:50 AM

2014 E550 Cab
I was told that the warranty covered any tire and rim you put on the car for the term of the contract. I still opted out because even if I bent the OEM rims I wouldn't replace them with OEM rims. For that money I would rather get a nice set of after markets.