Sponsored by:

Stainless steel brake lines from RPM

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-26-2010, 11:17 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stainless steel brake lines from RPM

We have stainless steel brake lines available now for $150.00 for a set of four. If anybody's interested in getting these we should have them available to ship at the end of the week. We can supply brake fluid as well for $15.00 a liter. You can choose either ATE Super Blue Racing or ATE SL6.
Old 07-29-2010, 03:13 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Brake lines are in stock and ready to ship.
Old 07-29-2010, 04:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
Are they D.O.T. approved?

And if so do they have the D.O.T. tag on them?

And by the way, nice price for a AMG part.
Old 07-29-2010, 04:10 PM

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
C63
Do you have pics of them?
Old 07-29-2010, 04:39 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Originally Posted by MRAMG1
Are they D.O.T. approved?

And if so do they have the D.O.T. tag on them?

And by the way, nice price for a AMG part.
They are DOT approved but they do not have a tag on them saying they are DOT approved, but neither do the factory ones. It is a nice price for them and these lines also have a clear shielding for extra protection as well as boots that cover where the fitting and line is mated together for even further protection.
Old 07-29-2010, 04:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
Originally Posted by Staff@RPM
They are DOT approved but they do not have a tag on them saying they are DOT approved, but neither do the factory ones. It is a nice price for them and these lines also have a clear shielding for extra protection as well as boots that cover where the fitting and line is mated together for even further protection.
Factory parts are NOT required by D.O.T regs to carry them, as the whole car is certified.

Aftermarket parts are a different story.

Example, factory exhaust manifolds/headers do not have a C.A.R.B tag on them, where as aftermarket headers will if they are certified.

After checking with a few brake companies, they are now engraving their lines, on the blocks, with their D.O.T. approval. Compaines were Russel, Wildwood, Steeda, etc.

I am only asking because in the event of an accident, the insurance carrier can deny you if you are using non certified highway parts.

Don't ask me how I know this please

Last edited by MRAMG1; 07-29-2010 at 04:58 PM.
Old 07-29-2010, 05:39 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Well, I'm not gonna lie but the manufacturer says they are approved but there is no stamping on them. There is also no stamping on the lines that come with the complete Brembo kit or the Goodridge lines either.

It is surprising to hear you mention those three companies though because Wilwood doesn't really make street kits, they are geared towards racing and people use there calipers on the street because they are so cheap and Russel fittings, from what I remember, were garbage. Steeda I know nothing about but from what it seems like they would make a nice product.

Trending Topics

Old 07-29-2010, 05:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
Well, I'm not gonna lie but the manufacturer says they are approved but there is no stamping on them. There is also no stamping on the lines that come with the complete Brembo kit or the Goodridge lines either.

It is surprising to hear you mention those three companies though because Wilwood doesn't really make street kits, they are geared towards racing and people use there calipers on the street because they are so cheap and Russel fittings, from what I remember, were garbage. Steeda I know nothing about but from what it seems like they would make a nice product.
Thanks for the polite reply.

I am not trying to be a ***** here. I just had a very unfortunate experience about 17 years ago do to some NON D.O.T. parts with the insurance company.

By the way, here is the info

Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard 106; if you have a copy of the Code of Federal Regulations handy, it's in Title 49, Volume 5, Subpart B, Section 571.106.

The section that applies to hydraulic hoses is about six pages long, and it covers everything from labeling requirements to pressure and temperature testing.

Thanks again for bringing in another low cost AMG part
Old 07-29-2010, 11:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'09 C63
Who makes these brake lines? I checked out the website and the only ones you had were Evosport brand. Thanks.
Old 07-29-2010, 11:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 92 Likes on 81 Posts
C63 AMG
I think DOT approval is a must these days. That said, I'm a buyer if we can clear that up.
Old 07-30-2010, 03:27 AM

C63
Actually, Goodridge lines have their logo and product tag on them. Their retail lines are all DOT approved.
Old 07-30-2010, 11:23 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Here is a photo of the lines for the C63. I will also post up the DOT number after the manufacturer of the lines open up, they are 3 hours behind me.

Old 07-30-2010, 12:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
'10 C63
So, do I need to use only DOT compliant SS lines on my car?

Not necessarily. The DOT requirements must be met in full for official government approval, so even if a SS line passes every performance test but is labeled with the wrong type of tag (or something equally trivial) it would fail certification. While this might mean something to an auto manufacturer or assembly plant, it is meaningless to the performance enthusiast.

All the DOT compliance means is that the lines have passed a minimum set of government standards which may or may not be important to you. Does this mean that DOT compliant lines are the best for your car? Not necessarily, but the certification should indicate that the manufacturer understands the product and is trying to hold itself to a certain standard.
got this off another site
Old 07-30-2010, 12:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
Originally Posted by bluejae
got this off another site
If you EVER get in an accident with NON D.O.T. parts on your car. The insurance carrier is not liable. How's that for do I need D.O.T. parts

And as I stated above it has already happened to guess who?

AS long as they are documented you'r fine. If they are stamped, off road use only, good luck.
Old 07-30-2010, 01:00 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

If you EVER get in an accident with NON D.O.T. parts on your car. The insurance carrier is not liable. How's that for do I need D.O.T. parts

AS long as they are documented you'r fine. If they are stamped, off road use only, good luck.
That's crazy that your insurance company investigated what kind of lines you had on your car. How bad was the accident? Did someone die? I've had a couple of bad accidents on the racetrack but only small fender benders on the street, sorry to hear about yours, that must have been a really bad day.
Old 07-30-2010, 01:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
98 Black C43 , 08' ML320 CDI ,11 E63

Just think of how many guys on this board are running around with non DOT clear corners,headlights,foglights and modded headlights,rear tail light assemblies.
Old 07-30-2010, 01:17 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

I decided to put a full package together for those interested that will include the brake lines, 2 liters of high performance fluid and a Motive power bleeder kit as well.

I am going to sell this complete package for $230.00. I have everything in stock except for the power bleeders, I just ordered them today so, if you decide to order the parts immediately I can have the power bleeder drop shipped or I will have it all in stock in a week and you can wait until then.
Old 07-30-2010, 01:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
Originally Posted by C43AMG
Just think of how many guys on this board are running around with non DOT clear corners,headlights,foglights and modded headlights,rear tail light assemblies.
Ah, we are talking about something that can save your life, or take a life. I don't think your insurance company is Savoy enough to give a rats a-- about what color tail lights you have.

I can tell you that on a modified vehicle in a bad accident, they will go over it with a fine tooth comb. Well at least Nation wide did here in PA.
Old 07-30-2010, 03:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
'10 C63

good to know, hopefully this one will have it for the peace of mind. i've never had ss lines so i just did a search to find out what the difference was and i came upon that excerpt about DOT stuff. thought i'd post it.
Old 07-30-2010, 11:49 PM

C63
I talked to one of the local shop here and they told me that most Mercedes used the same type of lines. From the look of the pic, its the same fitment as an E63?
Old 07-31-2010, 01:50 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Originally Posted by 1Lop2K5C
I talked to one of the local shop here and they told me that most Mercedes used the same type of lines. From the look of the pic, its the same fitment as an E63?
No, the E63 uses a different set of lines.
Old 07-31-2010, 02:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 86 Likes on 58 Posts
'22 G 63 AMG, '21 GLE 53 AMG, '20 NSX
I looked into this in some detail when I was considering adding stainless steel lines to my BS. There was a lot more to think about than just the "cool" feature and maybe a modest harder pedal feel.

First, their maybe some confusion in terms between DOT "approved" and DOT "compliant". I think some sellers do not know the difference and are following with the manufacturer is telling them.

The federal regulation concerning brake lines is FMVSS106 and most will never go thought the process of reading this regulation. So here is my summary of how it works.

The USDOT doesn't typically test any individual brake line components. They establish numerous standards for auto components and everything in detail of what the brake line must do.
If a manufacturer asserts their SS lines are DOT "compliant," it means that their lines have passed the FMVSS106 requirements (from independent testing lab) and they have submitted the test data to the government for official certification. In no way does this mean that this becomes acceptable for your car. Still needs the government DOT certification.

All the DOT compliance means it that the SS lines have passed a minimum set of government standards and the manufacturer understands that SS line and is trying to maintain a certain standard. A DOT component could fail for something as silly as having the wrong colored label on the part. It would still be compliant but not approved!

My test for parts going on my car is if it's made in China it doesn't belong on a german car.
Old 07-31-2010, 03:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 92 Likes on 81 Posts
C63 AMG
^^^ Very important point and thanks! I installed new Goodridge lines in the M5 for my Dinan/Brembo BBK a few months ago. Here is what a packing label states (although I do not recall the DOT number being on the line itself but then I wasn't really looking for it). I keep this label with my registration. I will check and see next time I have a wheel off about stampings on the line itself.

These DOT certified brake lines meet Federal Safety Standard 106 and are legal for use on all public roadways.
Old 03-12-2014, 03:23 PM

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
2012 CLS63AMG Kleemann K3
We have stainless steel brake lines available now for $150.00 for a set of four. If anybody's interested in getting these we should have them available to ship at the end of the week. We can supply brake fluid as well for $15.00 a liter. You can choose either ATE Super Blue Racing or ATE SL6.
Do you have the upgrade kit for a 2012 CLS63AMG?
Old 03-12-2014, 06:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 432 Likes on 355 Posts
2012 C63;1971 280SE 3.5(Sold);2023 EQS 450 SUV 4 Matic (Wife's)
Staff@RPM closed a couple of years ago.

Try contacting Staff@WORLD by PM to see if Craig can help you out.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Stainless steel brake lines from RPM