C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

Just drove a 2010 E63

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-21-2010, 01:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just drove a 2010 E63

I have to say, the interior is quite nice and I really like the look of the car. But that's about where it ends as the transmission is just awful. Starting off it is jittery and laggy. In C mode it's just downright stupid and makes the car feel totally anemic. The car is quite a bit heavier than our C63 and the extra ponies don't make up for it. The C63 is SO MUCH more fun, and dare I say the tranny is *in my opinion* better in most respects (except shift speed in manual mode)

If it weren't for the tranny, I would seriously consider the car. It's really nice otherwise!
Old 08-21-2010, 04:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 66 Likes on 49 Posts
'08 C63 Estate
Originally Posted by wankeldude
I have to say, the interior is quite nice and I really like the look of the car. But that's about where it ends as the transmission is just awful. Starting off it is jittery and laggy. In C mode it's just downright stupid and makes the car feel totally anemic. The car is quite a bit heavier than our C63 and the extra ponies don't make up for it. The C63 is SO MUCH more fun, and dare I say the tranny is *in my opinion* better in most respects (except shift speed in manual mode)

If it weren't for the tranny, I would seriously consider the car. It's really nice otherwise!

I have an E63 in my family and beg to differ. The transmission is insanely quick in S and S+ and soft in C. When using S+ mode you can't believe how fast is. Have you tried other setups aside from C ?

Moreover, when you stiffen the suspension to Sport + it's almost as stiff as my C (or the same - I have no PP suspension). I live in the mountains in Poland and the car is so much fun to drive. I have to admit that the E63's steering is not as precise and direct as the C63's but it makes up in comfort, size, looks, and equipment. I don't kno which options the US spec E63 can have so I'll tell you about what I have.

To start with the interior - the seats are more comfortable, they're are air-ventilated and the leather is much softer. And you can make them as tight as the ones in the C. The car I have has the Exclusive Package - an amazing soft alcantara roof and a leather dashboard which look really great. The interior looks much better too IMO. The quality of parts just seems better. And the center console around the gear shifter is just awesome! The buttons directed slightly towards the driver look magnificent - tranny, suspension, ESP, and AMG button (sort of like the M button). Unfortunately the car has no CF trim. Furthermore, you have much more leg space in the front and in the back.

Now to looks and gizmos. The LED stripe in the front bumper makes the car look friggin great. I fell in love the moment I saw it. The 19" inch wheels with fat tires (255&285) make the car look aggressive. The car has Distronic Plus (which brakes the car by itself to a complete stop and accelerates to 250km/h if you adjust it that way), lane assist, attention assist, and a hundred more assists which I have all disabled. Just useless.

To be honest, I would not trade the E for my C although the car is a much much better all-arounder. The adjustable suspension and tranny make it possible but IMO there are to many modes to choose from. I personally would do it this way - Tranny Sport +, and Tranny C. Suspension Comfort, and Suspension Sport +. Now I can choose tranny modes from C, through S, S+, M, to RS which is the launch control setup. Whose idea was this?!! Before you set this up the light will turn green hours ago!!! First you have to set the ESP to Sport, then you have set the tranny to RS mode, then you have confirm your choice with the right paddle. Then if the car feels like it, it allows you to pull a launch control (sometimes it says it's unavailable). Only then can you hold your left leg on the brakes and the right on the gas and launch from 2000rpm. I have to admit though - it's quick.

So to conclude - if I ever bought an E63, I would ditch half of the electronic gizmos it has and I think the price would drop to reasonable level, because the price of this E63 was around 150'000Euros (not trying to show off). Comparing it to a fully loaded C63 at 90'000 Euros that's a HUUGE gap. The only thing I'd take with me to my C would be the tranny.

... and maybe the exhaust (it's louder and barkier than a stock C63) - even stock, the tune of the square exhausts is so deep and ... grrrr

Just another point of view on the E-class AMG. If anyone is interested I can shoot some pics today and post them in the evening.
Just FYI The car is perfectly clean and looks staggering + the sun is shining

Last edited by olszowa12; 08-21-2010 at 04:55 AM.
Old 08-21-2010, 05:17 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
AMG GT-S & GLE 63S Coupe
I recently drove an E63 at the track at Mercedes Benz World in Brooklands (what a fantastic facility that is!!) and agree with everything olszowa12 has said.

Transmission wise I really do think the C63 is poor....I had a TC auto in a previous 335i and the responded far, far better. The MCT in the E63 is in another league again....almost as good as as dual clutch box!

The dynamic seats in the E63 are also great - I wasn't sure how natural it would feel having the bolsters move with the steering wheel but in reality, it's very effective!

Would I buy an E63?? For the interior and transmission then a definite yes but it would be a tough decision as I think the C looks better, is more nimble and, in P31 form probably slightly quicker!
Old 08-21-2010, 05:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'08 C63 Estate
Originally Posted by Palmball
I recently drove an E63 at the track at Mercedes Benz World in Brooklands (what a fantastic facility that is!!) and agree with everything olszowa12 has said.

Transmission wise I really do think the C63 is poor....I had a TC auto in a previous 335i and the responded far, far better. The MCT in the E63 is in another league again....almost as good as as dual clutch box!

The dynamic seats in the E63 are also great - I wasn't sure how natural it would feel having the bolsters move with the steering wheel but in reality, it's very effective!

Would I buy an E63?? For the interior and transmission then a definite yes but it would be a tough decision as I think the C looks better, is more nimble and, in P31 form probably slightly quicker!
The MCT is a dual clutch gearbox:

Mercedes-AMG developed the 7-speed MCT "Multi Clutch Technology" dual-clutchsemi-automatic transmission.
The new MCT transmission is essentially the 7G-Tronic automatic transmission without a torque converter. Instead of a torque converter, it uses a compact wet startup clutch to start the car off, and also supports computer-controlled double declutching. The MCT (Multi-Clutch Technology) acronym refers to a planetary (automatic) transmission’s multiple clutches and bands for each gear.
Old 08-21-2010, 05:56 AM

AMG GT-S & GLE 63S Coupe
It's not dual clutch - a DCT gearbox is a 'proper' manual with two clutches that each work on odd and even gears.

The MCT is an automatic gearbox with the transmission fluid effectively replaced by a set of clutches - instead of fluid transmitting drive to the propshaft (the Torque Converted bit), you get physical clutches (hence it's called Mulit-Clutch) which is a more direct connection and hence the better response.

It is still a full automatic gearbox in design and principle (indeed, on the outside, you couldn't tell the two apart as they sit in the same casing) where as a DCT gearbox as fitted to say an M3 or SLS AMG is a proper manual automated clutches.

I visited the AMG factory earlier this year and took great interest in having the designs of the different gearboxes explained to me lol!

Last edited by Palmball; 08-21-2010 at 05:58 AM.
Old 08-21-2010, 06:03 AM
GMW

2013 ML63 AMG PP
I drove the new E63 towards the end of last year and agree with almost everything olszowa12 said except the loudness. While it has more of a bark and deeper sound bass from the inside. I've been told by two friends who saw me drive by outside that the C63 has a deeper bass and is noticeably louder than the E63. The E63 sounds more higher pitched but not overall louder.

As from the driving experience. The E63 has a more comfortable suspension while firm than the C63 and the gearbox changes noticeably faster. Though as others have said is not the smoothest from a standstill. I like the night vision option too. That said, I prefer the C63 as it still feels faster than the E63 and handles better which translates into a more fun experience.

All I want is the MCT gearbox, a bit more compliant suspension over sharp bumps and the option for night vision and the C63 would be the perfect performance saloon for me.
Old 08-21-2010, 06:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Vath ML63 Brabus C63 SL63 CLK63BS C63BS
I agree, i believe the trans in the E63 is same as in new SL63 and from driving my SL vs C63 the SL63 trans annihilates it. It shifts so quickly, its incredible.
Old 08-21-2010, 10:08 AM

turns out the car i drove may have had an issue just like all of these others...

https://mbworld.org/forums/w212-amg/...ion-issue.html
Old 08-21-2010, 10:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2009 c63, 2010 E63
The transmission of the E is a lot better than the C.
Old 08-21-2010, 10:53 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
08 C63, 07 ML63, 92 500E, 70 300SEL 6.3, 63 220 SEB Conv. Sold 02 G500, 97 E50,92 C280,71 280SE 4.5
Ì agree that the E63 is more car, but all the other attributes the E63 has for my are "nice to haves Except for the Tranny. that to me is a must have! been driving a friends SL63 for a few days and I think its clearly the attribute the car has over the C that is worth the additional bucks......
Old 08-21-2010, 11:02 AM
JM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W204
Originally Posted by Maverick1975
I agree, i believe the trans in the E63 is same as in new SL63 and from driving my SL vs C63 the SL63 trans annihilates it. It shifts so quickly, its incredible.
the E63 tranny is 20% faster than 2009 year SL
Old 08-21-2010, 05:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
C63
The E63's Transmission is far more superior then the C63's. Ive driven the 2010 E63 and It feels faster then my C63. And i think that's mostly due to the transmission. I think alot of people are complaining about the jerky transmission, because Most AMG's have an automatic gear box and they arent used to a multi clutch transmission. People have also complained about the GTR becuase of its DCT, especially at low speeds.
The exhaust tone in the E63 has a deeper more aggressive sound also, And has a very menacing/edgy look to it. If i had the chance i wouldnt mind stepping into a E63 later on.

Last edited by _AMG_; 08-21-2010 at 05:31 PM.
Old 08-21-2010, 09:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C63 AMG(sold), 2009 CL550, 2010 S550 Majestic Black, 2010 ML550, 2006 C230, 2009 Venza
E63's transmission is much faster than the C63 there is no doubt about that.. Which car is more fun? I think everybody knows that answer also. BTW the E63 is also 30k more than a C63
Old 08-21-2010, 09:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

02 CLK 55 AMG,09 C63 loaded with P30
Just recently I ran my friends 10 E63 way up top. The outcome was dead even. We are both stock. I dont get it even with the MCT and 70hp over my C63
Old 08-22-2010, 11:20 AM

2011 C63, 1999 C280
Originally Posted by olszowa12
I have an E63 in my family and beg to differ. The transmission is insanely quick in S and S+ and soft in C. When using S+ mode you can't believe how fast is. Have you tried other setups aside from C ?

Moreover, when you stiffen the suspension to Sport + it's almost as stiff as my C (or the same - I have no PP suspension). I live in the mountains in Poland and the car is so much fun to drive. I have to admit that the E63's steering is not as precise and direct as the C63's but it makes up in comfort, size, looks, and equipment. I don't kno which options the US spec E63 can have so I'll tell you about what I have.

To start with the interior - the seats are more comfortable, they're are air-ventilated and the leather is much softer. And you can make them as tight as the ones in the C. The car I have has the Exclusive Package - an amazing soft alcantara roof and a leather dashboard which look really great. The interior looks much better too IMO. The quality of parts just seems better. And the center console around the gear shifter is just awesome! The buttons directed slightly towards the driver look magnificent - tranny, suspension, ESP, and AMG button (sort of like the M button). Unfortunately the car has no CF trim. Furthermore, you have much more leg space in the front and in the back.

Now to looks and gizmos. The LED stripe in the front bumper makes the car look friggin great. I fell in love the moment I saw it. The 19" inch wheels with fat tires (255&285) make the car look aggressive. The car has Distronic Plus (which brakes the car by itself to a complete stop and accelerates to 250km/h if you adjust it that way), lane assist, attention assist, and a hundred more assists which I have all disabled. Just useless.

To be honest, I would not trade the E for my C although the car is a much much better all-arounder. The adjustable suspension and tranny make it possible but IMO there are to many modes to choose from. I personally would do it this way - Tranny Sport +, and Tranny C. Suspension Comfort, and Suspension Sport +. Now I can choose tranny modes from C, through S, S+, M, to RS which is the launch control setup. Whose idea was this?!! Before you set this up the light will turn green hours ago!!! First you have to set the ESP to Sport, then you have set the tranny to RS mode, then you have confirm your choice with the right paddle. Then if the car feels like it, it allows you to pull a launch control (sometimes it says it's unavailable). Only then can you hold your left leg on the brakes and the right on the gas and launch from 2000rpm. I have to admit though - it's quick.

So to conclude - if I ever bought an E63, I would ditch half of the electronic gizmos it has and I think the price would drop to reasonable level, because the price of this E63 was around 150'000Euros (not trying to show off). Comparing it to a fully loaded C63 at 90'000 Euros that's a HUUGE gap. The only thing I'd take with me to my C would be the tranny.

... and maybe the exhaust (it's louder and barkier than a stock C63) - even stock, the tune of the square exhausts is so deep and ... grrrr

Just another point of view on the E-class AMG. If anyone is interested I can shoot some pics today and post them in the evening.
Just FYI The car is perfectly clean and looks staggering + the sun is shining

Pics of this E63 please? It sounds awesome
Old 08-22-2010, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by bushburninc63
The transmission of the E is a lot better than the C.
go drive one.
Old 08-22-2010, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by soldier2304
E63's transmission is much faster than the C63 there is no doubt about that.. Which car is more fun? I think everybody knows that answer also. BTW the E63 is also 30k more than a C63
go drive one
Old 08-22-2010, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by Maverick1975
does your SL jerk/hesitate/lag when driving off the line normally without nailing the throttle? If not, then there was something wrong with the E63 I drove.
Old 08-22-2010, 02:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'10 E63 Obsidiant Black; '06 R350 Alabaster White; 05 C55 Obsidiant Black (sold)
While i'v never driven a C63 before, the MCT on my car is pretty responsive in S, S+ and M mode.
And about the jerkiness in C mode, it does go away after putting in some miles to the car. I agree with you though, it's pretty annoying when it's there.
Old 08-22-2010, 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by RW C55
While i'v never driven a C63 before, the MCT on my car is pretty responsive in S, S+ and M mode.
And about the jerkiness in C mode, it does go away after putting in some miles to the car. I agree with you though, it's pretty annoying when it's there.
Oh good! I'm seriously considering trading up my C63 as up here in canada there is the same trunk money as there is in the states. The tranny issue was the only thing I was really concerned about, and not something I would have gotten used to.
Old 08-22-2010, 04:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'08 C63 Estate
Originally Posted by gselz
Pics of this E63 please? It sounds awesome

Will try to shoot some pics with my cam tomorrow. I have a few phone pics though.
On the last pic you can see my C had winter wheels for a few days

Old 08-22-2010, 05:01 PM

2019 s560 sedan
Originally Posted by Jons95c36amg
Just recently I ran my friends 10 E63 way up top. The outcome was dead even. We are both stock. I dont get it even with the MCT and 70hp over my C63
the weight difference would be the only reason the cars are dead even
Old 08-22-2010, 07:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

See Sig
Originally Posted by wankeldude

I sat in the 2011 535i. Not only does the car look really good but the interior quality is so sweet and the car is SOOO comfortable for the driver. Your arm just sits so nice on the center console. 60K

When you get a C63 or an E63 interior quality is out the window. your paying for the engine and performance.