C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What parameters does the MHP Tune for the Engine Control Unit really control?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-04-2010, 07:02 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
everything
What parameters does the MHP Tune for the Engine Control Unit really control?

There are lots of claims surrounding MHP's ability to control the transmission on a C63 in the tuned file he sells that he buys from a secret tuner in Europe.

Some claims have been made by MHP in relation to the ability of the tune he sells brainy able to control the transmission.

I think the time has come to discuss the fine details of what is controlled and how specifically it is controlled.

Andy has developed an acronym to describe his tuners "unique" ability to control transmission related parameters in the engine control unit. He calls this ECU/TCU and also CDT, which stands for Complete Drivetrain Tuning.

Lets use this thread to have a professional technical related discussion about a technical discussion on MBWORLD and see if members can discuss a topic without the normal
Old 09-04-2010, 07:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
2009 C63
Why start a pissing contest when who your calling out can't post here and your post adds nothing to the discussion. MHP has one of the best tunes on the market reproduced by dozens of members. This post is about a year too late, are you jealous, instigating or what? I really don't get it.

Post on a forum like AP.net or AD.com if you want a discussion of tuners

Last edited by BerBer63; 09-04-2010 at 07:29 PM.
Old 09-04-2010, 07:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
MB
How do you know about an alleged "secret tuner in Europe?"

Are you asking whether it is possible at this time to tune the TCM in a C63? Or, do you know that it is not possible to tune the TCM?

I'm not sure why you would want to tune the TCM on these cars. Seems like there is more than enough potential in stock form to match the majority of C63 drivers' needs, even with the addition of bolt ons.

I suppose when you have mid to high 400's rwhp it would be helpful to the transmission to increase the line pressure. But, I don't know if that can be done on these cars at present.
Old 09-04-2010, 07:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB
Originally Posted by chubbs032
Why start a pissing contest when who your calling out can't post here and your post adds nothing to the discussion. MHP has one of the best tunes on the market reproduced by dozens of members. This post is about a year too late, are you jealous, instigating or what? I really don't get it.

Post on a forum like AP.net or AD.com if you want a discussion of tuners
I agree. The OP sounds pretty instigative, and that wouldn't really be a big deal if MHP could respond -- like you said.

Out of curiosity, why did you choose the K1 tune over the MHP tune. From what I've heard and read on here, the K1 tune is the best value at de-tuning the C63.

Is it true that the low-speed drivability is just like stock, but with increased mid-range to redline power increase? That's what I'm looking for anyway.

Anyfeedback would be appreciated. Even from TS.
Old 09-04-2010, 07:36 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts
haters crazy
If you want to discuss that maybe you should unban Andy. Otherwise it will be a discussion with yourself without letting Andy defend himself. Not taking sides, just pointing out the obvious. A mature discussion would help the board members gain knowledge about the topic
Old 09-04-2010, 08:02 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

everything
Given how the discussion has already degenerated into a non technical discussion, I would remind members that this is a discussion solely to discuss transmission related matters related to the Mercedes 7 speed automatic transmission.

As this thread has been opened by a sponsor, I will request that it be moderated strictly so we can discuss the specific technical topic.

This is not a fanboy thread, or one to discuss Kleemann engine tuning.

I ask that we attempt a mature and technical focused discussion.
Old 09-04-2010, 08:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB
I apologize for asking questions that are off topic. I meant no disrespect. And I can see how I may have come across as a fanboy, but I assure you I am far from that. I don't have any favorites and that's why my car is still stock.

I'm open to learning about your product. In fact, I just read the 12-page explanation about your tune on your website.

I didn't see anything mentioned about transmission tuning for the C63.

This is a very interesting topic and it would be great if other tuners could join in and discuss some of their experiences in trying to tune this 7-speed trans.
Old 09-04-2010, 09:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
2014 Audi RS7
You are a sponsor and obviously not a very intelligent one if you are starting a thread that ask a question that the individual that can answer can't post. Go to another forum where he can answer you. You've already been banned from bimmerboost so why start trouble here?? Why hide behind a forum that will protect you from him replying?? Whats the point and I sincerely hope it gets deleted. Where's the moderator when we need one??

Last edited by Dads C63; 09-04-2010 at 09:13 PM.
Old 09-04-2010, 09:27 PM

E63
Very unprofessional powerchip.

Why not walk the walk before calling another tuner out. I don't see you anywhere on dragtimes. Sounds like jealousy and nothing more.

/crosses PC off my list.

Last edited by RStevens63; 09-04-2010 at 09:51 PM.
Old 09-04-2010, 09:41 PM

G55 - R500
So what could be tuned? I assume the only parameters are:

-Torque limiting
-Shift points for each individual gear
-Shift speeds

That is pretty much it - right?

So parameters are controlled by the TCU or ECU?

Also curious - where can the parameters for the ESP be controlled - I assume those are part of the ECU? Something that I am in need of to have adjusted

Last edited by 07g55; 09-04-2010 at 09:44 PM.
Old 09-04-2010, 09:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2013 Chevy 427 Torch Red
I would say this thread is a crash and burn......moving on
Old 09-04-2010, 10:00 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
2011 GLK 350, 2013 GT-R, & 2013 RAM 1500
Originally Posted by Dads C63
Where's the moderator when we need one??
<soapbox> What we need are more active and unbiased moderators who put the community and the integrity of the forum before all other agendas. </soapbox>
Old 09-04-2010, 11:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
E63 P30, CL500 Sport
Unbelievable..... a balanced, unbiased, technical and "professional" discussion (as you claim you want to have) can NOT happen when the owner of the subject you are trying to discuss can not reply back. To truly have a decent and fruitfull technical discussion about this topic, you should post on a forum that allows both parties to represent their side of the story.

On a side note, isn't the term Complete Drivetrain Tuning (CDT) trademarked/copyrighted by MHP

Last edited by MB_Forever; 09-04-2010 at 11:38 PM.
Old 09-05-2010, 12:33 AM

G55 - R500
Originally Posted by blackbenzz
A mature discussion would help the board members gain knowledge about the topic

Would be cool not to make this a tuner vs tuner discussion but rather a discussion about what is possible and what is not.

I am about to have a third party tuner go into some parameters for my G next week and would love to find out more about the subject of tansmission tuning for the MB platform

Last edited by 07g55; 09-05-2010 at 12:45 AM.
Old 09-05-2010, 01:28 AM

E63
Originally Posted by 07g55
Would be cool not to make this a tuner vs tuner discussion but rather a discussion about what is possible and what is not.

I am about to have a third party tuner go into some parameters for my G next week and would love to find out more about the subject of tansmission tuning for the MB platform
It is my understanding that the G55s use a seperate TCM or TCU controller since they still use the 5 speed auto. The 3.5s, 5.5s, 6.2s do not since they use the 7 speed auto. I guess that makes sense, different transmision should mean a different tcu.

Last edited by otoupalik; 09-09-2010 at 01:16 PM. Reason: off topic, inappropriate
Old 09-05-2010, 03:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
c63
Smile drive line tunning

Originally Posted by Powerchip
There are lots of claims surrounding MHP's ability to control the transmission on a C63 in the tuned file he sells that he buys from a secret tuner in Europe.

Some claims have been made by MHP in relation to the ability of the tune he sells brainy able to control the transmission.

I think the time has come to discuss the fine details of what is controlled and how specifically it is controlled.

Andy has developed an acronym to describe his tuners "unique" ability to control transmission related parameters in the engine control unit. He calls this ECU/TCU and also CDT, which stands for Complete Drivetrain Tuning.

Lets use this thread to have a professional technical related discussion about a technical discussion on MBWORLD and see if members can discuss a topic without the normal
could you please clarify that the 7g tronic gear box cannot be tuned or alterd in any way regarding timing on shifting and shift points and how fast the transmision shifts between gears and that paddle shift times cannot be alterd because im a bit confused could you plese explain this complete drive line tunning
Old 09-05-2010, 03:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2009 C63, 2007 GL 450
This type of thread is useless and counter productive unless all parties are able to participate. I am not sure why Andy has been banned, but would suggest that mods allow Andy rights to participate in this. I am in no party's camp here (I have K1 tune, ordered MHP headers and having Bruce from TT so install - now that is unbiased as it gets) but to take shots at people without their ability to counter is not cool. Before anyone goes slinging mud, I would caution that there is alot of IP breaches in the tuning market where people simply "use" other maps and call them their own. Lots of claims of gains out there. I will say one thing for MHP - numbers don't lie. The drag-slips out there are littered with MHP based machines so Andy must be doing something right here. I would also thank Keith/Andy for all the experiments they have done on performance gains - it takes real ***** to be the 1st to do performance mods like they have done. Keith has been leader in weight saving mods as well and we should all thank him for been so progressive on these things.
This all said, I would suggest the following - how about MHP and Powerchip meet at strip or mile run and see who comes top. Then we will see what tune does what and whether the whole debate of ECU/TCU is merited. Numbers don't lie...
Old 09-05-2010, 03:50 AM

c63
Smile drive line tunning

Originally Posted by Powerchip

has any one on this forum had there 7g tronic valve body replaced whether it be amg or not?
Old 09-05-2010, 03:54 AM

c63
Originally Posted by harrower
This type of thread is useless and counter productive unless all parties are able to participate. I am not sure why Andy has been banned, but would suggest that mods allow Andy rights to participate in this. I am in no party's camp here (I have K1 tune, ordered MHP headers and having Bruce from TT so install - now that is unbiased as it gets) but to take shots at people without their ability to counter is not cool. Before anyone goes slinging mud, I would caution that there is alot of IP breaches in the tuning market where people simply "use" other maps and call them their own. Lots of claims of gains out there. I will say one thing for MHP - numbers don't lie. The drag-slips out there are littered with MHP based machines so Andy must be doing something right here. I would also thank Keith/Andy for all the experiments they have done on performance gains - it takes real ***** to be the 1st to do performance mods like they have done. Keith has been leader in weight saving mods as well and we should all thank him for been so progressive on these things.
This all said, I would suggest the following - how about MHP and Powerchip meet at strip or mile run and see who comes top. Then we will see what tune does what and whether the whole debate of ECU/TCU is merited. Numbers don't lie...
i believe they were called out several times allready and didnt anwser this is my opinion im not sure if it is correct can any one help?
Old 09-05-2010, 04:02 AM

c63
Originally Posted by RStevens63
It is my understanding that the G55s use a seperate TCM or TCU controller since they still use the 5 speed auto. The 3.5s, 5.5s, 6.2s do not since they use the 7 speed auto. I guess that makes sense, different transmision should mean a different tcu.

What would be cool is if there was a powerchip car listed on either page 1 or page 2 of the dragtimes list: http://www.dragtimes.com/Mercedes-Be...l?resultpage=1
Last week this guy was going after OE Tuning this week MHP I think it's weak if he knew they couldn't respond. I guess he's trying to say that MHP doesn't tune the TCU? Ok, so why do others like MKB claim it? Why aren't you asking or accusing them? I don't think they are banned and should be able to answer? I spoke with them on the phone about a week and a half ago. They are also high up on the dragtimes list and answered every question I asked no matter how mundane. This all just sounds very personal and juvenile.
i believe mkb hold some nardo speed records if im not mistaken so i dont think there a tunning company that is going to say something can be done if it can't
Old 09-05-2010, 06:36 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

everything
Wow, I was hoping that members here could have a mature discussion about transmission related parameters.

I remind members that this thread has nothing to do with drag racing, lap times or religion.

If MHP fans wish to express their opinion about those topics, they are free to do so in another thread.

This thread was started SPECIFICALY to try to determine what parameters, if any, that the developers in Europe of the software that Andy calls "MHP" software change that relate to the transmission.

Before examining what the public claims are that Andy has made for "his" C63 software, let's look first at Keith Brantleys programming.

Keith,

Did Andy's European tuner modify the parameter in the engine ECU that controls the maximum torque level?

In stock form, the engine ECU has a maximum torque limit set in newton meters, the metric measurement for torque.

I am interested if Keith could tell us if his current "MHP" software that he has fitted changes the maximum torque limit which is contained in the engine control unit.

If members are interested I am happy to make specific technical information available about the torque limit.

Last edited by Powerchip; 09-05-2010 at 08:04 AM.
Old 09-05-2010, 07:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 Audi RS7
Wayne,
How is Andy supposed to answer your question??
You ask many times a long time ago to tune my car and I refused. Let it go!!
Old 09-05-2010, 08:17 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

everything
Hi Keith

I am sure you are communicating with Andy regularly, why not ask him to ask the guys that write the software that he resells, and post his response from them here.

Even better would be to post the response from the software engineer that writes the file, and if Andy maintains that he will never disclose the copyright owner of the C63 file, then the next best thing would be to post a copy of the email from the engineer with the contact details and names obscured.
Old 09-05-2010, 08:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 Audi RS7
Hi Wayne,
I have no axe to grind with you and I am a customer of MHP.
If you want answers then go to a medium where you guys can discuss this. I will not be a middle man. Please move on.
Old 09-05-2010, 10:15 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

everything
Hi Keith

If I had an "axe to grind" I would simply email you or call you.

I think all our communications to date have been professional and businesslike.

I would really like to know if the MHP file installed while your car experienced shifting difficulties has the Transmission torque limit raised in the engine .

You could say you don't know, you don't care, Andy won't tell you, Andy does not know, the developer of the file won't tell Andy, Andy has told you he is waiting back to hear from the software guy in Europe because it is the weekend, and many other answers.

Can it really be that hard to determine if you car has the torque limit raised.

Consumers hear a lot about CDT and ECU/TCU, and the torque limit I have mentioned is contained in the code for the engine control unit.

I can confirm that Powerchip knows where the torque limit is, and that it can be raised on request.

We have known of the limit for some time, and I have shared specific information about it with people like jrcart over a year ago.

We have never had a need to change it, but I suspect your car is the first that would benefit from it being raised.

If Andys tuner can tell him the amoun of newton meters that the engine ecu is limited to I would be interested to know.

If they won't tell you or they don't know, I will share the limit with you on request.

Last edited by Powerchip; 09-06-2010 at 08:42 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: What parameters does the MHP Tune for the Engine Control Unit really control?