Sponsored by:

About to Take Plunge Number Two!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-04-2010, 03:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
09 c63
About to Take Plunge Number Two!

So I've deliberated a lot about selling my c63 and putting an additional 45k into a 2012 GT-R that's going to stay bone stock for years, or putting about 35k into my c63 to make it one of a kind. I'm 90% sold on the latter.

This is pretty much an advice thread in disguise. Mainly, all I want to know is if this is a stupid decision. (The things I'm buying, who I'm buying from, etc). I know it's all based on personal preference, but I don't want JUST a looker (older gallardo, 360, older 911 turbo could all be bought in this price range), and I don't want just raw performance (put 30k into a supra or e46, etc.). I want a happy mix that can spank just about anything on the road, and still turn some heads in the looks department, all while having a luxurious interior [I consider the c63's interior 'luxurious' ]).

I have 27k budgeted for cosmetics: paint(9.5), wheels(9.5), and body kit (7+1 install).

Paint: Thinking pearl white with a hint of blue in the clearcoat.

Body kit: Markuzzi (Little nervous about sending CC info to this site. Anyone dealt with anything like this before?)

Wheels: HRE or something similar. Deep, aggressive, and color matched with a black(steel gray) 'outline'.

Misc: black / steel gray badges, trim, tail light outlines.

Performance: Tune, headers, exhaust, possibly 100-shot of nitrous.

I'm not going to ask any questions about performance, because I know that's just me doing homework. If you have any opinions or I'm missing something, feel free to tell me so though. Is this sensible? Would YOU do this if you had to pick one? Would you go with Markuzzi or a different wide body?

I'd just like some opinions and help from my c63 brothers before I spend this kind of money. I want to represent us well

Last edited by ifkamg; 10-04-2010 at 04:02 PM.
Old 10-04-2010, 04:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 167 Likes on 133 Posts
2021 Porsche TTS
Rather than repaint the car that will devalue your car, I would think of a wrap in a matte finish. This will be a head turner and is one of a kind. The nice thing about it is that when you resell the car, it can be undone.
Regarding your decision, it is a tough one. If you can live with 2 doors, the GT-R is hard to beat. The money you will spend on the C63 will be hard to recoup. Both paths are worthy.
Old 10-04-2010, 04:28 PM

09 c63
Originally Posted by emericr
Rather than repaint the car that will devalue your car, I would think of a wrap in a matte finish. This will be a head turner and is one of a kind. The nice thing about it is that when you resell the car, it can be undone.
Regarding your decision, it is a tough one. If you can live with 2 doors, the GT-R is hard to beat. The money you will spend on the C63 will be hard to recoup. Both paths are worthy.
I'm not too worried about resale TBH, so I'm just going to go ahead and paint it. I will consider the wrap but the pics I've seen of it look like primer . Maybe I've just been looking at the wrong ones?

Seeing my car lose 30k value in 2 years from nothing more than driving it makes me a little discouraged about limiting my real desires for the sake of resale.

I agree though, my decision rather difficult.
Old 10-04-2010, 04:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 EQE 43 AMG SUV
I agree on the wrap. Painting the car will indeed lower its value and if you should grow tired of your new color it's easy to fix
I love the GT-R but after all it's still just a rice cooker (asian...har har). Sick car though
Old 10-04-2010, 04:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
360 Modena TT
$9500 for wheels and tires
$9500 for paint

i think that's a little steep even for top quality . i did a complete paintjob on my showcar which involved stripping the entire car of interior , glass , and all parts that could be effected . after that it was getting the body to bare metal and even a few custom things and painting it Dupont Hot Hues "snowstorm" white . with all that , i paid $6000 . i can't imagine what you are looking to do for that cost
Old 10-04-2010, 05:38 PM

get the gtr
Old 10-04-2010, 05:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 66 Likes on 49 Posts
'08 C63 Estate
Originally Posted by wankeldude
get the gtr
+1
the 2012 MY is even faster
Old 10-04-2010, 06:02 PM

M156 and LS7
get the gen 1 997 gt3, same price as the GTR, i think that's the untimate driving machine, if you really like to race on the roadcourse
Old 10-04-2010, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by BFNYM156
get the gen 1 997 gt3, same price as the GTR, i think that's the untimate driving machine, if you really like to race on the roadcourse
that's really a dedicated track machine. For the price, you can't beat a GTR for overall DD/track performance.
Old 10-04-2010, 06:58 PM
Out Of Control!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ifkamg
So I've deliberated a lot about selling my c63 and putting an additional 45k into a 2012 GT-R that's going to stay bone stock for years, or putting about 35k into my c63 to make it one of a kind. I'm 90% sold on the latter.
Bone stock for years? lol!! Let's face it. As a true car enthusiasts statements like this is never true. You know you'll want at least aftermarket wheels.

That C63 bodykit looks like it came from the Star Wars movie Deathstar. Is that even legal? lol!

For the paint go for chrome! I think we've all seen the chrome M3, chrome Lambo but no chrome C63.....yet!

Either way you'll make us proud!
Old 10-04-2010, 07:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'15 E63S wagon
A modded C63 sounds fun on paper, but $30k in mods later you will have a vehicle that's faster but not GTR fast. Plus you're putting $27K into cosmetics. Dress it up all you wish but it's still a C-Class no matter how much lipstick you put on it. In other words, it still won't be the rare looking supercar the GTR is. Put a set of wheels on a GTR and they are stunning.

My guess is that a '12 GTR will be a better long-term car compared to a heavily modified C-Class. The C63 would be fun for a while; the GTR will be MUCH faster with substantially higher mod capabilities if/when you want to do that.

Put just a few thousand into a GTR for a tune (Cobb) and exhaust, and you have a 10-second car. Plus if you don't modify the GTR, it will be warrantied full term.

If you don't need 4 doors, get the GTR. My $0.02.

Either way you win

Last edited by VCA_AMG; 10-04-2010 at 07:09 PM.
Old 10-04-2010, 09:48 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
13 Lamborghini SL, 20 Porsche 911 (sold), 09 C63(sold), Vipers (sold)
Get the GTR if you can work with two doors. Love the C63, but would not put $30k into "dressing" it up. Either way, your lucky to have the choice!!
Old 10-04-2010, 10:06 PM

09 c63
You guys just made it even more difficult! The GT-R just kind of turns me off for a couple reasons (please refute them and make my decision easier):

1) Extra $15k (added to the sale of my car + 30k budget) for a stock GT-R just like every other GT-R owner will have, with no money to upgrade soon.

2) I don't want to be the guy with the race car that doesn't race. You know, the one people often direct the word 'waste' at. I don't really need all the race car features it has for daily driving, spirited runs, and occasional auto-x.

3) Doesn't look the best IMO. And it's a Nissan.
Old 10-04-2010, 10:09 PM

09 c63
I'm using the mobile version so I'm having trouble editing, but I just want to tell you all I'm not set against the GT-R at all, I just want someone to show me the light and prove my points wrong .
Old 10-05-2010, 12:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
2014 C63 Sedan

This is pretty much an advice thread in disguise. Mainly, all I want to know is if this is a stupid decision. (The things I'm buying, who I'm buying from, etc). I know it's all based on personal preference, but I don't want JUST a looker (older gallardo, 360, older 911 turbo could all be bought in this price range), and I don't want just raw performance (put 30k into a supra or e46, etc.). I want a happy mix that can spank just about anything on the road, and still turn some heads in the looks department, all while having a luxurious interior [I consider the c63's interior 'luxurious' ]).

I have 27k budgeted for cosmetics: paint(9.5), wheels(9.5), and body kit (7+1 install).

Paint: Thinking pearl white with a hint of blue in the clearcoat.

Body kit: Markuzzi (Little nervous about sending CC info to this site. Anyone dealt with anything like this before?)

Wheels: HRE or something similar. Deep, aggressive, and color matched with a black(steel gray) 'outline'.

Misc: black / steel gray badges, trim, tail light outlines.

Performance: Tune, headers, exhaust, possibly 100-shot of nitrous.

I'm not going to ask any questions about performance, because I know that's just me doing homework. If you have any opinions or I'm missing something, feel free to tell me so though. Is this sensible? Would YOU do this if you had to pick one? Would you go with Markuzzi or a different wide body?

I'd just like some opinions and help from my c63 brothers before I spend this kind of money. I want to represent us well
i worked for nissan summer 2008 when the GTR came out and after the first day in the showroom there was nothing special about it that would attract my eye, and for the amount of money you are talking about i would get a used CLK Black Series!
Old 10-05-2010, 04:15 AM

C63 AMG
Get the GTR.
Old 10-05-2010, 04:19 AM
JM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
W204
I'm not too worried about resale TBH, so I'm just going to go ahead and paint it. I will consider the wrap but the pics I've seen of it look like primer . Maybe I've just been looking at the wrong ones?

Seeing my car lose 30k value in 2 years from nothing more than driving it makes me a little discouraged about limiting my real desires for the sake of resale.

I agree though, my decision rather difficult.

You're looking at the wrong ones...

Kidding

Old 10-05-2010, 08:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2017 Mini Cooper S Clubman ALL4 - British Racing Green
You do realize that you don't have to get a mat finish... Wraps come in pretty much any colour and if done right, is indistinguishable from a good paint job.
Old 10-05-2010, 08:58 AM

09 c63
Originally Posted by tasho3
i worked for nissan summer 2008 when the GTR came out and after the first day in the showroom there was nothing special about it that would attract my eye, and for the amount of money you are talking about i would get a used CLK Black Series!
Yeah I mean as someone who knows what it is, when I see one I poop my pants. But I think if I got one and just kept it stock, everyone (family, friends who don't know, etc.) would see it as a fast Altima or something, haha.

I've never driven a GT-R, but could someone who has driven both chime in on how the GT-R does turning heads while driving around?

Originally Posted by VCA_AMG
A modded C63 sounds fun on paper, but $30k in mods later you will have a vehicle that's faster but not GTR fast. Plus you're putting $27K into cosmetics. Dress it up all you wish but it's still a C-Class no matter how much lipstick you put on it. In other words, it still won't be the rare looking supercar the GTR is. Put a set of wheels on a GTR and they are stunning.

My guess is that a '12 GTR will be a better long-term car compared to a heavily modified C-Class. The C63 would be fun for a while; the GTR will be MUCH faster with substantially higher mod capabilities if/when you want to do that.

Put just a few thousand into a GTR for a tune (Cobb) and exhaust, and you have a 10-second car. Plus if you don't modify the GTR, it will be warrantied full term.

If you don't need 4 doors, get the GTR. My $0.02.

Either way you win
Thanks for the great advice.

It's just such a hard decision for me because I want to maximize my use of the car I pick. I know the GT-R is going to beat anything from stoplight to stoplight. (Should be beating z06s while stock, correct? ), but I'm just worried about how satisfied I'll be when it comes to aesthetics. I've never heard a GT-R in person, so maybe they sound good, but losing the roar of the v8 and the looks of my c63 will be rough. I know it pretty much looks like a c300 now, but with the mods I'm planning, it'd be the only one of it's kind.

Originally Posted by BAD430BENZ
$9500 for wheels and tires
$9500 for paint

i think that's a little steep even for top quality . i did a complete paintjob on my showcar which involved stripping the entire car of interior , glass , and all parts that could be effected . after that it was getting the body to bare metal and even a few custom things and painting it Dupont Hot Hues "snowstorm" white . with all that , i paid $6000 . i can't imagine what you are looking to do for that cost
That's what I like to hear! I've asked ~8 people what a top-dollar paint job would cost and heard 8k-10k. I like to over-budget rather than under-budget .

Originally Posted by BFNYM156
I've always dreamed of having a 997, especially a GT3, but around here that's what every 60+ man has.
Old 10-05-2010, 09:18 AM

2013 Nissan GT-R BE
If you are going to mod and can live with 2 doors, then you might just as well getting yourself a MY2009 or MY2010 used GT-R (I would pick the 2010s.) Thank about it, the MY2012 version will be getting close to $90k new, vs. $75k to $80k range for a lightly used one. And since you plan on modding it, a Cobb tune plus the mid pipe will only run you up about $3k. Even with additional mods, it will still be cheaper, and more fun, then a stock 2012 GT-R.

One other key issue is that you NEED to identity a good Nissan dealer that KNOWS how to handle and maintain a GT-R. The reason I didn't get one was because there are no decent dealer in my area for service. This is a big plus for me with the C63, as you can almost always get decent service for a Mercedes Benz.

Sheep
Old 10-05-2010, 09:40 AM

2010 c63,09 CaymanS,08 VW Touaregv10tdi,99vette hardtop,Triumph1050Tiger,Kaw,klr 650
There was a whit GTR at Talladega Grand Prix this past weekend. It did not sound so great at idle or just pulling away....but when the car was on the track it sounded like it was going to suck the clouds from the sky..

Buy the GTR
Old 10-05-2010, 10:34 AM
Out Of Control!

GT-R + R1K =
Old 10-05-2010, 11:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

08 S65, 06 M3 CS(stick), 02 BMW X5 4.6iS, 07 R1 Raven, 08 F-450 4x4, 08 CooperS JCW
Originally Posted by wankeldude
(gt3)that's really a dedicated track machine. For the price, you can't beat a GTR for overall DD/track performance.
agreed...if i were the op i'd sell the C and get the 2012 GTR unless it's his only vehicle and he has wife/kids

as goes the Gt3, I doubt that's what "very 60 y/o man has in your area"...and if you don't think a GT3 stands on its own in the 911 range then er, this convo is done...
Old 10-05-2010, 01:47 PM

09 c63
Originally Posted by transferred
agreed...if i were the op i'd sell the C and get the 2012 GTR unless it's his only vehicle and he has wife/kids

as goes the Gt3, I doubt that's what "very 60 y/o man has in your area"...and if you don't think a GT3 stands on its own in the 911 range then er, this convo is done...
I've just seen the new pictures of the GT-R and heard it's almost certainly ~530HP. I've fallen in love.

About the GT3 comment. I love the car and think very highly of it, but I'm my particular part of town I've seen 4-5 of them around. Trust me, I think the car is amazing.

Originally Posted by Sheep
If you are going to mod and can live with 2 doors, then you might just as well getting yourself a MY2009 or MY2010 used GT-R (I would pick the 2010s.) Thank about it, the MY2012 version will be getting close to $90k new, vs. $75k to $80k range for a lightly used one. And since you plan on modding it, a Cobb tune plus the mid pipe will only run you up about $3k. Even with additional mods, it will still be cheaper, and more fun, then a stock 2012 GT-R.

One other key issue is that you NEED to identity a good Nissan dealer that KNOWS how to handle and maintain a GT-R. The reason I didn't get one was because there are no decent dealer in my area for service. This is a big plus for me with the C63, as you can almost always get decent service for a Mercedes Benz.

Sheep
Thank you very much for the advice about the dealership. That's something I may not have thought about.

I just have a personal thing against buying old products. I also didn't want to mod it too much, just visual stuff. That will really be irrelevant now that I've seen the blue paint. All I may need is wheels. Not that I'd really need too much more power with ~530 coming stock .

Once again though, thanks for the great advice.

Originally Posted by trapper
There was a whit GTR at Talladega Grand Prix this past weekend. It did not sound so great at idle or just pulling away....but when the car was on the track it sounded like it was going to suck the clouds from the sky..

Buy the GTR
Hmmm. Thanks for your experience .
Old 10-05-2010, 02:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 AMG(sold), 2009 CL550, 2010 S550 Majestic Black, 2010 ML550, 2006 C230, 2009 Venza
I would get a used GT3.. That's a serious head turner and not some rice japanese "supercar wannabe" expensive Nissan. BTW to whoever said that a GT-R is a rare supercar lol you should come to Miami. Most likely one of the few places that I see more GT-R's than C63's.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: About to Take Plunge Number Two!