Sponsored by:

should I break in?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-19-2010, 01:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
should I break in?

Hey folks,

I am picking up my C63 tomorrow. Do I need to break in the engine? Like not passing 4k RPM, etc. Or should I just get an oil change earlier. Any ideas?

Thanks!
Old 10-19-2010, 01:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2021 Taycan Turbo, 2018 Radical SR3, 2021 Lincoln Aviator
Change the oil early (I think this is an obligation for C63 owners anyways) and I'd say test the car, but don't be too hard on the transmission. The transmission is the reason for the break in, not the engine. These engines have already been ran very hard in the testing phase by AMG.
Old 10-19-2010, 02:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'15 E63S wagon
This debate comes up every few months. Consider this...

* DO break-in, and risk nothing except testing your self control. The engine and transmission will wear in properly and the parts will have a better chance of lasting longer.

* DON'T break-in, and risk that everything will go ok...but if you have an engine that consumes oil, or a transmission that starts chirping or slipping 10k down the line, will it really be worth it?

Plenty of peeps here will respond "floor it from the 1st tank, it's fine b/c I did that and my car is fine" but why risk it? Just take it easy 1k miles and never look back.
Old 10-19-2010, 03:13 PM

2009 Subaru WRX & 2010 C63
Originally Posted by VCA_AMG
This debate comes up every few months. Consider this...

* DO break-in, and risk nothing except testing your self control. The engine and transmission will wear in properly and the parts will have a better chance of lasting longer.

* DON'T break-in, and risk that everything will go ok...but if you have an engine that consumes oil, or a transmission that starts chirping or slipping 10k down the line, will it really be worth it?

Plenty of peeps here will respond "floor it from the 1st tank, it's fine b/c I did that and my car is fine" but why risk it? Just take it easy 1k miles and never look back.
I agree, allow for break in period. The last thing you want to do is throw a rod or kill a transmission just to show off your new car.
Old 10-19-2010, 05:44 PM

2007 E63
i say run it hard. get the revs up and let her legs stretch. Just dont go banging hard on the trans the first 1k miles. theres plenty of guys who have proven hard break in makes more power.
Old 10-19-2010, 05:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

08 S65, 06 M3 CS(stick), 02 BMW X5 4.6iS, 07 R1 Raven, 08 F-450 4x4, 08 CooperS JCW
Originally Posted by bmontalban
i say run it hard. get the revs up and let her legs stretch. Just dont go banging hard on the trans the first 1k miles. theres plenty of guys who have proven hard break in makes more power.
Not saying you do necessarily, but guys who lease are 99% of the time the ones who give this advice about new cars. I always had good luck following the manufacturer's recommended break in procedure so the rear end and the rest can bed in...
Old 10-19-2010, 05:56 PM
LZH
Banned

CLK 63 Black Series, 2009 S550, 2011 Range Rover Supercharged, BMW F800 GS Anniv Edition
Originally Posted by transferred
Not saying you do necessarily, but guys who lease are 99% of the time the ones who give this advice about new cars. I always had good luck following the manufacturer's recommended break in procedure so the rear end and the rest can bed in...
Every street car I've ever owned from new has been driven hard from mile one and I've never had any major issues that could be attributed to my break in. In fact, with race motors, I've seen more failures from NOT driving them hard the second they hit the track. The only thing I like to do is vary the RPM's for the first hour and never let the motor stay at a constant RPM for more than a few minutes. That, and make sure you let it get up to operating temp before you see any high revs.
And btw - I've never leased a car in my life, so I'm not sure your 99% rule is entirely accurate.

Last edited by LZH; 10-19-2010 at 06:14 PM.

Trending Topics

Old 10-19-2010, 06:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 EQE 43 AMG SUV
Congrats on your new car.
Old 10-19-2010, 06:41 PM

until there is undeniable and substantative proof not just anecdotal, follow the procedure as defined by the manufacturer. They are the ones providing the warranty not us forum users.
Old 10-19-2010, 06:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

08 S65, 06 M3 CS(stick), 02 BMW X5 4.6iS, 07 R1 Raven, 08 F-450 4x4, 08 CooperS JCW
Originally Posted by LZH
Every street car I've ever owned from new has been driven hard from mile one and I've never had any major issues that could be attributed to my break in. In fact, with race motors, I've seen more failures from NOT driving them hard the second they hit the track. The only thing I like to do is vary the RPM's for the first hour and never let the motor stay at a constant RPM for more than a few minutes. That, and make sure you let it get up to operating temp before you see any high revs.
And btw - I've never leased a car in my life, so I'm not sure your 99% rule is entirely accurate.
Race motors I'd agree, but I guess we differ with these street engines and to each their own. The amount of people (I'm thinking just about every car dealer I've been to) who run cars hard from cold is insane. Certainly the 99% figure was non-scientific...

-Rob
Old 10-19-2010, 07:05 PM

2007 E63
Originally Posted by transferred
running in hard and beating the **** out of the car like ike did tina, are two different things.

oil consumption is typically because of poorly seated rings. Harder break typically provides better ring seating.

from mototune on hard break in:

Although these pistons came out of engines which were raced for a full season, they weren't set-up with any special clearances or other preparation.

These engines were never worked on prior to being raced. They were totally stock as built by Honda.

The only difference was the break in method they used...

The one on the right was broken in as per MotoMan's instructions.

The one on the left was broken in exactly according to the owner's manual. The resulting leaky rings have allowed pressure to "blow by" down into the crankcase on acceleration, and oil to "suck-up" into the combustion chamber on deceleration.
*disclaimer,, this is purely my opinion
Old 10-19-2010, 08:37 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
13 Lamborghini SL, 20 Porsche 911 (sold), 09 C63(sold), Vipers (sold)
Break it in correctly then enjoy it...........
Old 10-19-2010, 10:11 PM

Audi Q7, C63
is it just me who got a sticker on the front windscreen saying to break in?
it read:

for the first 1500km dont go past 4.5k rpm and 145km/h
then after that steadily push the car higher