C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche Dealership Takes Out A Lamp Post With Customers Lamborghini!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-22-2010, 01:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
2016 C63 S
I think, since it was a Porsche delaership employee, that you should get the right to kick to shi+ out of whoever did it....

and get a GT2 RS as a loaner
Old 10-22-2010, 01:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
MBUSA
doesnt make sense if it were to crush someone on the way down
Old 10-22-2010, 01:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 UFO
Originally Posted by Yuille36
Someone would be getting an a** whopping if it was my car, trust me!!!
Bring it on!
Old 10-22-2010, 01:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2013 UFO
Originally Posted by Infamouz
I think your assumption is wrong.

I would cry even if I saw my car in that state. Now imagine the owner. Good luck to him on this.
Old 10-22-2010, 02:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2013 UFO
Originally Posted by jrcart
Can you imagine that phone call...I've got some good news and some bad news...remember that alignment issue? (long pause)....... We were finally able to reproduce what you explained and pin-pointed the source......
Old 10-22-2010, 02:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 C63 S
Holy Crap *****!!!!!

I just noticed that this is a pic of the wheel...snapped off....and pushed behind the rotor...with the center section still bolted to the rotor

Old 10-22-2010, 02:22 PM

2009 C63 with Eurocharged tune and charcoal delete
[quote=callmiro;4314201]Holy Crap *****!!!!!

I just noticed that this is a pic of the wheel...snapped off....and pushed behind the rotor...with the center section still bolted to the rotor

Yes, but it was a very lightweight and beautifully finished wheel, probably a little bit expensive too. Guess they aren't designed to hit curbs sideways. I hope the owner of this car is very rich and simply doesn't really care about stuff like this, cause if it was my car I would be going completely nuts. You just know that car will never be the same again after they "fix" it.
Old 10-22-2010, 03:23 PM

pontiac firefly
Originally Posted by callmiro
I think, since it was a Porsche delaership employee, that you should get the right to kick to shi+ out of whoever did it....

and get a GT2 RS as a loaner
they didnt even give him a regular Porsche as a loaner let alone a GT2 RS...i think hes in a suzuki swift or nissan versa from his insurance company
Old 10-22-2010, 03:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2013 UFO
[QUOTE=Palladin;4314232]
Holy Crap *****!!!!!

Yes, but it was a very lightweight and beautifully finished wheel, probably a little bit expensive too. Guess they aren't designed to hit curbs sideways. I hope the owner of this car is very rich and simply doesn't really care about stuff like this, cause if it was my car I would be going completely nuts. You just know that car will never be the same again after they "fix" it.
I would go insane. A car will never drive the same even with a bump at 5mph when your car is still.
Old 10-22-2010, 03:27 PM

pontiac firefly
[quote=Palladin;4314232]
Holy Crap *****!!!!!

Think it may have been carbon fiber
Old 10-22-2010, 05:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 C63 S
[quote=ruthless;4314343]
Originally Posted by Palladin

Think it may have been carbon fiber

Those are the factory wheels, just painted black
Old 10-23-2010, 07:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
Originally Posted by C43AMG
I hope your're kidding all of us about your work -

Section 3: Breakaway Light Poles
Anchor: #CHDDCGCC
Frangibility Requirement
The FHWA adopted Section 7 of the 1985 AASHTO publication entitled “Standard Specifications for Structural Supports for Highway Signs, Luminaires, and Traffic Signals” for implementation beginning in July 1990. This section requires more stringent breakaway characteristics. TxDOT’s previous design of roadway illumination assemblies (based on a 1975 AASHTO specification) does not meet these requirements.

Breakaway light poles rely on frangible transformer bases to provide the breakaway feature. The 1985 AASHTO specification provides for a maximum change in momentum of a 1800 pound car to break the pole away. The 1975 AASHTO specification provided for a similar change in momentum except that the test vehicle weighed 2,250 pounds.

Anchor: #i1000249
Structural Requirement
While providing the necessary frangibility, the base must also be structurally adequate to support the illumination pole for design wind speeds. Transformer bases meeting the ’85 AASHTO specification may not adequately support some 50 foot steel poles, notably those designed to meet the ’75 AASHTO specification.

Anchor: #i1000259
Replacement Guidelines
Lighting systems built under the previous requirements should be maintained with ’75 AASHTO standard poles and transformer bases currently in stock.

Replacement transformer bases for lighting systems built under the ’85 AASHTO requirements should be specified to be the same model number as the bases being replaced. This model number is required to be incised on the base.

Two variables of pole construction affect structural compatibility with the ’85 AASHTO transformer bases top: bolt circle and base plate thickness. No tolerances for these variables have been established. For this reason, TxDOT does not recommend the direct replacement of ’75 AASHTO standard transformer bases with ’85 AASHTO standard transformer bases for 50 foot steel poles.

Anchor: #i1000279
New Installation Guidelines
Current breakaway requirements can be met on new installations by using the new transformer base and pole designed for that base, both approved by the FHWA to meet ’85 AASHTO standards.

TxDOT typically uses breakaway poles wherever possible, even when not required. For these types of new installations, where breakaway poles are used but not required (outside the clear zone or behind barriers), transformer base poles meeting the ’75 AASHTO guidelines may be used when currently in stock but should not be considered breakaway.

Do not use shims or washers to level the ’85 AASHTO breakaway base, because this may change the breakaway characteristics of the base. Ensure that the top of the concrete foundation is level.
Me bad

I was talking about wooden service poles which we place in the ground at 3' plus 10% of the total length of the pole.

I jumped the gun a little bit and was NOT refering to metal lighting structures, sorry guys.
Old 10-23-2010, 07:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
'06 E55 K2
Originally Posted by MRAMG1
I beg to differ. Working in the utility business for almost 20 years, I can assure you that our Service poles, correct lingo, are NOT designed to shear off. AKA, we do NOTHING to them that would allow them to shear, no stress reliefs, weak spots, etc, etc.

The pole had either rusting hardware, corroded anchor bolts, or was hit hard.
C43AMG has already clarified this point very clearly, the pole in question is not cedar \ wood or pre-stressed concrete which are buried typically 3ft+(XX% of their total length).

Newer metal poles \ fiber glass poles and composite poles are all designed to shear at the base with the breakaway base, this has been used for 10years approx or more. Not sure what aspect of the Utility business you work in as it is a vast field and pole design is constantly evolving and there are vast new industry trends and also field testing safety work that is done in collaboration with utility companies, pole manufacturers and the DOT departments.

Originally Posted by jvanbrecht
You do realize.. that if an electrical pole, or any pole carrying significant amounts of current (I believe street lights and signal lights run off 220V, with who knows how much current), or electrical poles pulling 400A or higher (which is what feeds most modern houses now, 1 200A or 2 200A service lines), was to shear off, and the cable snaps and hits the ground, the injuries involved would be far greater then the car that just slammed into it. Especially if its raining, or any large standing bodies of water, or the cable falls onto the pole that is now on the ground, energizing... See where I am going with this.

No, poles are design to take the impact and remain in place to minimize further damage to the surrounding areas.
Clarified already and a circuit will detect a continuity issue and trip the breaker at the transformer shutting down the voltage in that line, obviously built in protection for these types of events, safety and fault interruption \ protection is a critical part of the design of these systems.

Transformers that are pad mounted are also designed with breakaway bases now...

Last edited by slownrusty; 10-23-2010 at 07:51 AM.
Old 10-23-2010, 07:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
Originally Posted by slownrusty
C43AMG has already clarified this point very clearly, the pole in question is not cedar \ wood or pre-stressed concrete which are buried typically 3ft+(XX% of their total length).

Newer metal poles \ fiber glass poles and composite poles are all designed to shear at the base with the breakaway base, this has been used for 10years approx or more. Not sure what aspect of the Utility business you work in as it is a vast field and pole design is constantly evolving and there are vast new industry trends and also field testing safety work that is done in collaboration the DOT departments...so I beg to differ.

Clarified already and a circuit will detect a break and trip the breaker at the transformer shutting down the voltage in that line, obviously built in protection for these types of events...see where I am going with this?

Transformers that pad mounted are also designed with breakaway bases now...
I know, I know, me bad

I jumped the gun and was ONLY refering to wooden service poles.
Old 11-12-2010, 08:51 PM
LZH
Banned

CLK 63 Black Series, 2009 S550, 2011 Range Rover Supercharged, BMW F800 GS Anniv Edition
Thought I'd post this here since it's about another wrecked Lambo. This one appears to be totaled.

Last edited by IB Dave; 12-30-2010 at 04:10 PM. Reason: Libelous, defamatory or otherwise tortious language
Old 11-12-2010, 09:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MBUSA
maybe it was brody jenner
Old 11-12-2010, 09:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
C63 AMG
Maybe off topic or maybe not but I had a similar incident minus the crash. 2 years ago I took my car to a exhaust shop to get a set of LG Motorsports long tube headers on my brand new 2008 Z06 which had 465 miles at the time.

Originally the owner of the shop told me to bring the car on a Wednesday so that they could start with the car and had it done the same day. I actually delivered the car on a Tuesday afternoon/night so that the headers will be cold for the next day work.

Before I gave them the car I told them specifically/strictly to not drive the car at all, absolutely no joy rides because my car was on break-in period.

The shop didn't finished the car until Friday afternoon (2 days after what they promised). They put about 15 miles on the car and when I went to confront them they told me that they had to drive the car because there was smoking coming out of the exhaust from their grease hands and that they need to burn it off. To make matters worst, they charged me exactly the same price as what the dealer quoted me.

My car had a grinding 3rd gear issue ever since which was the number one issue why I ended up trading the car for the C63 AMG.

Sometimes is way cheaper to hire a hit-man and take care of business physically and property damage wise...

That was my true .2c history.

Last edited by C63newdude; 11-12-2010 at 09:32 PM.
Old 11-12-2010, 10:38 PM
LZH
Banned

CLK 63 Black Series, 2009 S550, 2011 Range Rover Supercharged, BMW F800 GS Anniv Edition
Originally Posted by GHAZAN
maybe it was brody jenner
I know Brody...It's not his. You must watch the Hills LOL. Brody got screwed on another car at the same shop after I warned him not to go there. Some people need to learn the hard way.
Old 11-13-2010, 10:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63
That ain't gonna buff out.