Sponsored by:

Servicing and ECU Tunes

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-25-2010, 03:46 PM

Received 35 Likes on 15 Posts
AMG GT-R
Servicing and ECU Tunes

I'm due for a service and was just curious how those with ECU tunes handled it? I don't want the dealership to reflash my ECU to stock with a routine update of some sort, especially considering I'm running headers, but I don't exactly want to bring it up either if it is not necessary.

As a precaution, I've heard of some simply taping a note across the OBDII port saying "do not flash" which seems could be a simple solution. If I did this, should I also tape one onto the actual ECU as well?
Old 10-25-2010, 04:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'15 VW GTI
Go to MB Lynnwood. When I had my K1 tune, never had a problem there. Just tell 'em what you have and what you don't want them to do.
Old 10-25-2010, 05:05 PM
LZH
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLK 63 Black Series, 2009 S550, 2011 Range Rover Supercharged, BMW F800 GS Anniv Edition
The tape thing would raise immediate questions. I'd simply tell them to inform you of ANY work they need to perform BEFORE they do it. That way you can assess the work involved and then tell them how to proceed.
Old 10-25-2010, 06:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
E63 P30, CL500 Sport
Originally Posted by LZH
The tape thing would raise immediate questions. I'd simply tell them to inform you of ANY work they need to perform BEFORE they do it. That way you can assess the work involved and then tell them how to proceed.
+1.... This is the best solution. Even if you see that they want to do an ECU flash, I would actually still let them do it so that they don't get suspicious. Then later, just get your ECU re-flashed again from your tuner. Most tuners will offer a re-flash for free or for a minimal charge.

If your lucky and have a dealer that is mod friendly, then tell them to not flash it, and you''ll be good to go.
Old 10-25-2010, 06:57 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
13 Lamborghini SL, 20 Porsche 911 (sold), 09 C63(sold), Vipers (sold)
I would just tell them, because if push came to shove, they are going to find out about the tune anyway.......
Old 10-25-2010, 07:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2013 Chevy 427 Torch Red
It makes no difference, they will see the headers and know that you have been tuned. Best thing to do is build a great relationship with an SA who is tolerant towards mods. Mine is great..... I had an issue with a cam going out of sync due to a software glitch. It could not be covered under warranty but I was only billed two hours shop time even though the car was there three days and received a new cam sensor that it didn't need. Was the tune at fault? Unknown but at least it got resolved and the financial compromise was fair.
Old 10-25-2010, 07:25 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
2011 GLK 350, 2013 GT-R, & 2013 RAM 1500
FWIW, Sound German Automotive in Bellevue did my A Service.

It's an alternative to the Dealer if you are interested.
Old 10-26-2010, 03:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C63 AMG
Originally Posted by Even Money
Go to MB Lynnwood. When I had my K1 tune, never had a problem there. Just tell 'em what you have and what you don't want them to do.
Yep, ask for Jeff Casey at Lynnwood MB. He's been really cool with me about any questions and issues regarding aftermarket mods, ecu reflashes, and even header installs...and cam installs. He's pretty up-front and will let you know what's being done to your car. When I mentioned that I've a K1 tune and if bringing my car in for service would render it stock from any update flashes the dealer may do, he suggested to let the SA know very clearly that I have a tune and not to touch the ECU. He also suggested to put a big note on a white sheet of paper on the dash that says "DO NOT REFLASH."

And like some have mentioned, don't try to hide it from the dealership because quite frankly, they'd be the dumbest chaps on the block if they started up your car with those MHP headers and not think there was something done to the car. And if that's the case, I'd really not trust them with my car, anyway.

Originally Posted by superlubricity
FWIW, Sound German Automotive in Bellevue did my A Service.

It's an alternative to the Dealer if you are interested.

Supes, does this equal to or meet all the standards of a service done at an MB dealership? In other words, would it qualify in case something goes wrong down the road and MB checks the service record and still honor the service A if it wasn't done at an authorized MB dealership?

I'm due for a service, too.