Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-02-2010, 04:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
a durr
Evosport or OEM rotors for tracking?

Hey guys,

I was wondering which rotors you guys recommend for tracking the C63, the slotted Evosport ones or the OEM ones?

I noticed that the discs on the OEM ones are thicker than the Evosport ones, which means more heat capacity, however the down side is the lack of proper cooling vanes and cross drilled holes that are prone the cracking.

The Evosport rotors on the other hand are available in slotted and do have proper ventilation vanes on the inside, however the discs are thinner then the OEM ones as seen from the pictures I stole off here: https://mbworld.org/forums/clk63-bla...ar-rotors.html

Would the thinner rotors cause durability problems or are the Evosport rotors a different blend of alloys than OEM?

Old 11-02-2010, 02:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 431 Likes on 354 Posts
2012 C63;1971 280SE 3.5(Sold);2023 EQS 450 SUV 4 Matic (Wife's)
Is the OEM rotor actually thicker or is it just the machining in the center vane of the Evosport rotor that gives it the appearance of being thinner?
Old 11-03-2010, 09:12 AM

2021 Taycan Turbo, 2018 Radical SR3, 2021 Lincoln Aviator
I have evosport rotors and I am extremely satisfied with them. I would take them over OEM any day.

The disk thickness is a non issue: if you are going to track your car, durability will be poor and you'll have to change your disks often, this is one of the reasons why the 2 piece option is the way to go since maintenance will be much cheaper (you only change the disk, not the center part)
Old 11-03-2010, 10:07 AM
CDP
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W124's
Speaking of 2-Piece rotors - Are there others out there besides EvoSports?
Old 11-03-2010, 03:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
C63
Originally Posted by ChrisDPham
I have asked myself the same question, and searched every where. The only options i came across were the OEM 2 piece rotors and Evosport rotors.
It would be nice if Stoptech or AP Racing could make a rotor option for our cars.
Old 11-03-2010, 05:48 PM
CDP
MBWorld Fanatic!

W124's
I agree and I've been searching around for a bit too.

Seems like either try to get a good deal on the OEM 2-Piece Rotors or get the EvoSports? Something tells me Evo's are the way to go... unless someone can say otherwise?
Old 11-03-2010, 06:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

a durr
Originally Posted by chief63
I have evosport rotors and I am extremely satisfied with them. I would take them over OEM any day.

The disk thickness is a non issue: if you are going to track your car, durability will be poor and you'll have to change your disks often, this is one of the reasons why the 2 piece option is the way to go since maintenance will be much cheaper (you only change the disk, not the center part)
You running the slotted or cross drilled rotors? Also how many track days have you had on them and how many more do you expect them to lasts. And how much does it costs to buy just the disc itself?
Old 11-04-2010, 07:39 PM
PREMIER SPONSOR

Here's some additional info on the rotors:

https://mbworld.org/forums/clk63-bla...w-zealand.html
Old 11-04-2010, 07:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2013 f250 6.7 diesel
Evosports are not that easy to come by I placed an order almost 2 months ago and I keep getting told next week? Hopefully they come real soon!!!
Old 11-04-2010, 07:51 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
W221
Originally Posted by ChrisDPham
Hit up Serge. See if he has anything
Old 11-05-2010, 03:19 PM

2021 Taycan Turbo, 2018 Radical SR3, 2021 Lincoln Aviator
Originally Posted by yooker
You running the slotted or cross drilled rotors? Also how many track days have you had on them and how many more do you expect them to lasts. And how much does it costs to buy just the disc itself?
Slotted and drilled for front and back with titanium shims. Had 2 track days on them and 1 extremely hot day in July so very hard on brakes plus it was 4 hours of lapping total on that day. The discs still look great but toasted my pads. Will probably remove the titanium shims next season to dissipate the heat and put them on when its cold. Also will look into some options for pads and better cooling or just avoid the hot weather.

For the cost of the disk replacement, I remember about 1000-1200 for all corners which is pretty good =)
Old 04-14-2011, 03:09 PM

CLK BS
Just saw this thread today and bringing it back from dead....I'm the one who took those pics in the OP's thread.

Yes, the Evo rotors are slightly thinner for the front rotors, not just the machining vane causing an illusion. I didn't have a caliper but overall I think it's about 2 mm thinner. However, like I said in my thread, these are not cross drilled so it gives back a bit more mass. You can easily do a rough estimate and see how much metal one loses in a rotor by cross-drilling.

Hence I think the overall durability and fade-resistence should at least be the same between OEM and EVO. I would not run any cross-drilled discs if I'm tracking the car, OEM or EVO. I'm glad to hear that chief63 had a good on-track experience with the EVO as I'm about to start tracking my BS a bit this year. Of course the EVOs are much lighter, and with just slots I'm detecting a bit more "bite" although that may be just seat of pants.

My only regret is not getting a few more EVO rotors while I had the chance....it took me 2 months to get it but now it's most likely a lot longer than that

Also, replacement discs are actually close to 1500 for 4 corners, due to replacement nut/bolt hardware as well.

Last edited by GeoGeo; 04-14-2011 at 03:13 PM.
Old 04-14-2011, 03:22 PM
PREMIER SPONSOR

We are shipping backorders as we speak. We have also received a whole pallet of blank discs and will be able to ship and have parts in stock in a couple weeks to mitigate what you had experienced with your wait time. We are working very hard to make sure the demand for these items are met the same day or within a few days.

Ping me with an email and I will keep you posted on status. Thanks.
Old 04-14-2011, 03:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
C63
Originally Posted by Simon @ evosport
We are shipping backorders as we speak. We have also received a whole pallet of blank discs and will be able to ship and have parts in stock in a couple weeks to mitigate what you had experienced with your wait time. We are working very hard to make sure the demand for these items are met the same day or within a few days.

Simon, how much for slotted only rotors?
Old 04-14-2011, 03:47 PM
PREMIER SPONSOR

Originally Posted by _AMG_
Simon, how much for slotted only rotors?
Pricing for slotted is the same. But slotted is usually limited quantities as we sell 97% drilled/slotted. We will usually stock a few sets of slotted for our track customers.

Last edited by Simon @ evosport; 04-14-2011 at 04:29 PM.
Old 04-15-2011, 08:19 PM

CLK BS
Originally Posted by Simon @ evosport

ok that's good to know. certainly a quality rotor!