CLK63 Black Series Forum & Registry Information and discussion on the W209 CLK63 AMG Black Series and Registry for all owners.

EVOSport slotted 2 piece front and rear rotors

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-28-2010, 09:28 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
CLK BS
EVOSport slotted 2 piece front and rear rotors

Well, after a summer of waiting, I finally got my set of slotted EVOsport 2 piece rotors, and I installed them last week. Big thanks to Simon @ EVO and SMP for good install directions.

Fronts side by side:

OEM Front weight: This is from my bathroom scale, not the most accurate, but the importance is the difference in weight.

EVO:

Installed:

OEM Rear:

EVO:

Interesting how the rear weight saving is only 4 lbs and not 7, the fronts are ~6 lbs.
Old 09-28-2010, 09:35 PM

CLK BS
Another interesting thing is about the thickness of the rotors:

Fronts side by side:

Rear side by side:

I didn't have a caliper, but with a rough ruler measurement, the EVO fronts are slightly thinner on the inside, about 4 mm total? The rears are about the same. Maybe this is why the front weight difference was more pronounced.

I want to emphasize that this is just a simple observation, not to take anything away from the EVO or the OEM rotors. Because of possible different metallurgy, different ventilations, different rotor hat constructions, and the fact that the EVOs are slotted and NOT drilled (which retains more metal and contact surface), I wouldn't conclude that thicker is simply better.
Old 09-28-2010, 09:43 PM

CLK BS
So is there any change in driving?

Well, I've taken out ~12 lbs in the front axel and ~8 lbs in the rear. Seat of pants is slightly increased responsiveness, to both throttle and steer. Steering effort has somewhat decreased and it seemed a bit easier to place the car on the road.

The braking seems a bit more responsive as well, with more "bite". There's more squealing when the brakes heat up -- I'm not sure if that's normal? Didn't have much squealing with the oem rotors. I haven't driven it on track or any downhills yet so I can't say much about fade.

Overall I'm pleased with the EVO rotors, and I think going to a slotted rotor is definitely the way to go, especially for track days and aggressive driving.
Old 09-28-2010, 09:56 PM
LZH
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLK 63 Black Series, 2009 S550, 2011 Range Rover Supercharged, BMW F800 GS Anniv Edition
Very nice - thanks for the writeup and photos. Slotted is for sure the way to go - those EVO hats are NICE !!
Old 09-29-2010, 11:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 140 Likes on 107 Posts
ML350
great job.....that is the way i would have done the comparison too. Imagine what CF or lighter wheels would feel like also?....assuming your wheels/tires werent changed, right?
Old 09-29-2010, 02:39 PM

CLK BS
Originally Posted by Doctodd33
great job.....that is the way i would have done the comparison too. Imagine what CF or lighter wheels would feel like also?....assuming your wheels/tires werent changed, right?
I changed the wheels to OZ Ultraleggeras, which required the use of spacers sourced from EVO. (Almost mandatory for anyone running OZs, otherwise you lose track width front and back). I weighed them too, with the exact same tires. The OZs weigh about 1-2 lbs lighter than OEM, not as much as I hoped. With the spacers and longer bolts, the wheels were a wash. So in a way, yes, wheels/tires werent changed

If money was no concern and I get to do it over again, I'd get a set of CCWs with custom width and offsets, saving the trouble of spacers.
Old 11-02-2010, 04:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

a durr
How is the durability of the Evosport vs OEM rotors?

I noticed the Evosport rotors are thinner than the OEM ones, would that affect the heat capacity of the rotors?
Old 11-02-2010, 08:57 PM

CLK BS
Originally Posted by yooker
How is the durability of the Evosport vs OEM rotors?

I noticed the Evosport rotors are thinner than the OEM ones, would that affect the heat capacity of the rotors?
So far good, but I havn't been driving it much. As for heat capacity, I've already said: " Because of possible different metallurgy, different ventilations, different rotor hat constructions, and the fact that the EVOs are slotted and NOT drilled (which retains more metal and contact surface), I wouldn't conclude that thicker is simply better. "

I do know that for track use, slotted > drilled.
Old 11-03-2010, 05:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
2008 BS
My understanding is that as a general statement, drilled rotors are prone to cracking on the track and that slotted is the way to go.
Old 11-03-2010, 08:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
'14 ML BT
I was parked next to a 7.1GT3 at the track recently and his AP Racing slotted rotors had plenty of cracks in the them. I wish I'd asked how many miles they had.
Old 11-03-2010, 12:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 959 Likes on 576 Posts
‘24 BMW iX M60
Originally Posted by DFW01E55
I was parked next to a 7.1GT3 at the track recently and his AP Racing slotted rotors had plenty of cracks in the them. I wish I'd asked how many miles they had.
Probably small 'fissures' versus cracks? Fissures are the usual kind of stress 'fractures' that you see from the heat of track use; normally nothing to worry about. A real crack however; time to throw out the rotor.

Bish
Old 11-03-2010, 02:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
'14 ML BT
Fissures would be a fair description. Their numbers and the lighting made me wonder if they were going to de-laminate a top layer of the rotor.

I really felt more comfortable with the cracks I get in mine.
Of course I'm no metallurgist, so what do I know.
Old 11-03-2010, 06:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

a durr
Are the evosport rotors casted with the slotts or are they machined out?

Also will evosport offer blanks?
Old 11-03-2010, 07:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
E320CDI, CLK55, and a Smart
You can always "freeze" them also to make them last longer.

www.frozenrotors.com
Old 11-03-2010, 07:46 PM

CLK BS
It's been a while since I spoke to Simon but I believe the evo rotors are blanks which then gets either drilled or slotted? Theoretically they should be able to sell you blanks but I'm not sure if they do. Best way is to ask Evo directly.

Last edited by GeoGeo; 11-03-2010 at 07:49 PM.
Old 11-16-2010, 08:38 PM
PREMIER SPONSOR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
None fast enough!
We can sell blank disks as special order, no problem.

thanks
Brad