C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So I bought a GT Pro Single X and I'm Disappointed...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-08-2010, 10:17 AM

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts
ED1 e63S
So I bought a GT Pro Single X and I'm Disappointed...

Hey guys,

I bought a single X from GT Pro and I'm disappointed. Not because of the sound or quality but because no one in the Dallas area will install it for me! I've tried 3 different places and have been turned away because it removes the secondary cats. Autoscope is the only person willing to do it so far but they claim they have to charge a minimum of 2.5 hours of labor to "cover overhead" even though it is a 30 minute to 1 hour job.

I'm debating on whether or not to DIY. Has anyone else done this? If so, what did you use to make the cut with? I'm not interested in trying it with some ghetto chain cutters that I can loan from Autozone (been there and done that on a previous car, results were terrible) but I don't want to spend a ton to buy a high-end cutter for a one time use.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can get this dang thing put on my car?
Old 11-08-2010, 10:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Corrolla
if you can drive to OKC ( 3hrs away) I have a place do that for you.

Andy
Old 11-08-2010, 10:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2013 Chevy 427 Torch Red
Just FYI anyone skimming through the thread list will pick up on what seems to be negative feedback regarding the x pipe itself. Not great for the folks at GT Pro
Old 11-08-2010, 10:27 AM

ED1 e63S
Originally Posted by hhughes1
Just FYI anyone skimming through the thread list will pick up on what seems to be negative feedback regarding the x pipe itself. Not great for the folks at GT Pro
The mods can feel free to change the title if they'd like. I have nothing but good things to say about the quality of the X pipe so far. Just wish I could get the dang thing installed.
Old 11-08-2010, 10:33 AM
Banned

Received 72 Likes on 62 Posts
Speedriven
Let me know if you find someone in Dallas - or try some of the import / JDM shops or a shop with an active dyno? That would be my next move.

Quick Google search got me this: http://www.dallasperformance.com/ ... seem to have lifts, tools, fab capability, and a dyno. NEVER WORKED WITH THEM, just found them on Google.

Maybe you can go scout them out for the rest of the MB guys in Dallas?
Old 11-08-2010, 10:34 AM

ED1 e63S
I've tried some non-euro shops already. They looked at me like I had the plague the second I said it removed the secondardy cats. I'm not sure if they state government has been on a crackdown recently or what. I haven't gotten a straight answer yet.
Old 11-08-2010, 10:36 AM
Banned

Speedriven
Originally Posted by OrientBlue3
I've tried some non-euro shops already. They looked at me like I had the plague the second I said it removed the secondardy cats. I'm not sure if they state government has been on a crackdown recently or what. I haven't gotten a straight answer yet.
The secondaries shouldn't give you any legal headaches - anything back of the 2nd O2 sensor is usually optional and there to appease CARB or meet some ULEV figure the OE wants, if anything.

Old 11-08-2010, 10:37 AM

ED1 e63S
Originally Posted by Speedriven
The secondaries shouldn't give you any legal headaches - anything back of the 2nd O2 sensor is usually optional and there to appease CARB or meet some ULEV figure the OE wants, if anything.

That's the impression I had. I told them that over and over again. Still was told no by multiple shops.
Old 11-08-2010, 10:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
If so, what did you use to make the cut with? I'm not interested in trying it with some ghetto chain cutters that I can loan from Autozone (been there and done that on a previous car, results were terrible) but I don't want to spend a ton to buy a high-end cutter for a one time use.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can get this dang thing put on my car?
Did you have worn-out chain cutters? When I had an exhaust fabricated for another car, the tech used a chain-cutter and it was quick, clean, and straight. I think the Sawzall approach takes a steadier hand.

EDIT-IIRC, I think Super also had issues with chain cutters.
Old 11-08-2010, 10:48 AM

ED1 e63S
Originally Posted by Sincity
Did you have worn-out chain cutters? When I had an exhaust fabricated for another car, the tech used a chain-cutter and it was quick, clean, and straight. I think the Sawzall approach takes a steadier hand.
Yea, very worn out. I don't think Autozone has any that were sharp in their Lend A Tool program. But that's good to hear. I may see about buying a set if they work that well when sharp.

Anything better than this out there?

http://www.amazon.com/Danaher-Tool-K...9231207&sr=8-1

The Sawzall seemed like the easiest approach but I didn't want to drop $150 for something I'd use once.
Old 11-08-2010, 10:53 AM
Banned

Speedriven
Yea, very worn out. I don't think Autozone has any that were sharp in their Lend A Tool program. But that's good to hear. I may see about buying a set if they work that well when sharp.

Anything better than this out there?

http://www.amazon.com/Danaher-Tool-K...9231207&sr=8-1

The Sawzall seemed like the easiest approach but I didn't want to drop $150 for something I'd use once.
You'll regret that attitude during the zombie apocalypse.
Old 11-08-2010, 11:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
C63
agree.
Old 11-08-2010, 01:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Why don't you contact Brian? When he first started the project, he mentioned he could include a cutter at additional cost. Perhaps he could recommend a good one.
Old 11-08-2010, 01:03 PM

ED1 e63S

Lol. Good one. However, I prefer.

I am actually considering this route now. I found a 12 amp plug in model for $99 and an extra set of 12 blades for $25. Probably about what it would cost if I could find a shop to do it and I have a sick saw to use on the zombies! Anyone know if there is a certain model level of Sawzall you'd need to cut our exhaust? I didn't want to buy one of the cheaper ones and have it be too weak to cut the pipe.
Old 11-08-2010, 01:04 PM

ED1 e63S
Originally Posted by Sincity
Why don't you contact Brian? When he first started the project, he mentioned he could include a cutter at additional cost. Perhaps he could recommend a good one.
I'll do that. Might come in handy since it is looking more and more like a DIY as we speak.
Old 11-08-2010, 01:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Let us know how the DIY went and which approach you used in cutting the pipe. Based on my observation with the exhaust fabricator, I plan on using the chain-cutter if I do the GT-Pro X. He just strapped the chain on the pipe and rocked the cutter back-and-forth about five times and cut through it like a hot knife on butter. The pipe he cut was also stainless steel.
Old 11-08-2010, 10:21 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
13 Lamborghini SL, 20 Porsche 911 (sold), 09 C63(sold), Vipers (sold)
Hey guys,

I bought a single X from GT Pro and I'm disappointed. Not because of the sound or quality but because no one in the Dallas area will install it for me! I've tried 3 different places and have been turned away because it removes the secondary cats. Autoscope is the only person willing to do it so far but they claim they have to charge a minimum of 2.5 hours of labor to "cover overhead" even though it is a 30 minute to 1 hour job.

I'm debating on whether or not to DIY. Has anyone else done this? If so, what did you use to make the cut with? I'm not interested in trying it with some ghetto chain cutters that I can loan from Autozone (been there and done that on a previous car, results were terrible) but I don't want to spend a ton to buy a high-end cutter for a one time use.

Call and talk with Steve at Autoscope and let him know what you are trying to do and that this forum sent you to him. Let us know his response, as many of us have used his shop.