C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tunes... anyone have proof they won't effect warrenty?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-15-2010, 04:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C63 AMG(sold), 2009 CL550, 2010 S550 Majestic Black, 2010 ML550, 2006 C230, 2009 Venza
How many times has this been covered? Again and for the last time, if anyone has other questions please call MBUSA DIRECTLY and screw what your dealer says. The only tuner certified by Mercedes-Benz is AMG. Now usually most dealers don't have a problem with your tune from RennTech, Kleemann, Brabus, etc. However, if there is a problem with your car and they CAN blame it on the tuned ECU, they will. As long as there is no problem with the car directly having to do with the ECU you WILL be fine.
Old 11-18-2010, 05:53 PM

09 C63 11 E350
Originally Posted by propain
Buy another ECU. Only do the ECU. Any warranty problems swap the stock ECU. Problem solved.

From who? Can't buy an ECU from MB. It is a "Theft Relevant" part. ECU can only be obtained on an exchange basis. Forget about another C63 too-VIN data has to be on the ecu. Not that simple.
Old 11-18-2010, 05:57 PM

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
ED1 e63S
The main question this thread should be asking is, has anyone had problems with their tunes in terms of engine issues, reliability, etc. and if so, has the dealer voided their warranty because of it?
Old 11-18-2010, 06:33 PM

no more AMG
My service manager said the only real issue would be a direct problem with the ECU itself seeing as someone is opening it up. He also said MB and most manufactures have given up trying to fight a tune causing an issue due to the fact that engine parts are cheaper then legal fee's. Basically it costs less to just fix it then pay for a layer. After speaking with him and reading most of the tune posts on this forum, I haven't heard or seen any issue's from cars or members with work done by reputable tuners. I think with they're reputation and price, I'm going to go with Kleeman unless someone can sway me to spend the extra money on Renntech.
Old 11-18-2010, 07:23 PM
PGT

2014 E550 4Matic with P1/LED/Pano
the dealer doesn't decide warranty, though they can help slide things past.

if you're at all concerned about warranty, read up about the Magnusson-Moss Warranty Act. Basically, you can't be denied warranty carte blanche - there has to be proof something you've done caused the failure in order to be denied the claim.

Example - if you change your wheels to a low offset compared to stock and your wheel bearings fail, well, the case can be made that your aftermarket parts were the cause. If you change your wheels and your A/C fails, well, no....they're not to blame and you can't be denied coverage.

In the end, an ECU tune is a calculated risk. In case of my Subaru STI, there was a 'stop sale' on them due to a lean condition from the factory tune. The aftermarket tune I purchased was known to be safer and make more power than even the corrected OEM tune so it went on the day I brought it home. Had I developed engine issues, it would have been an easy fight to win that the craptastic Subaru tune was at fault (they had a rash of blown motors due to the tune and lean condition on #4 cylinder).

also should mentioned (related to the post just before mine), that it takes 10x the paperwork to deny a warranty vs. honoring it. The factory reps I talked to in my previous career all told me that they were inclined to "cover all" vs. "deny all" as it was more cost effective. Only in the case of clear abuse would they go the extra mile to deny a warranty and they also had the ability to cover "one time" special cases where goodwill was concerned (i.e. customer was at the track and the clutch blew at 5k miles). Track use is considered abuse but a stock drivetrain shouldn't fail so soon. Idea was to keep a loyal customer base. I had firsthand experience with an older Subaru I owned where they replaced the clutch under warranty despite the aftermarket power mods and ECU tune - I was honest and upfront about them and also had documented my clutch issues from when the car was bought new (common issue on those cars).

Last edited by PGT; 11-18-2010 at 07:27 PM.
Old 11-19-2010, 12:04 AM

09 C63 11 E350
If you are asking-don't bother. You'll be worried constantly. My neighbor is a senior MB tech and works at the Dealership I use. They are aware of what is going on aftermarket wise. Their position on a drivetrain issue- motor,trans,rear is very compromised-warranty wise with the tune.I respectfully disagree with PGT-the service tech and his supervisor CAN deny a claim.

The eastern region service rep toes a hard line. The ecu is NOT to be ****ed with as far as they are concerned. They are aware of Magnuson -Moss act and will tell you-go ahead and file a claim-AFTER you PAY the repair bill.

They do-you got to undue. Do what you got to do. Picking up 30-40 hp at best,at least to me,isn't worth being on the short end. Right off the lot the car is fast-it isn't a race car.

If you purchase an ALLDATA diy subscription (they only have MY08 C63AMG's-but its worth having the info available) and peruse all the TSB's and customer complaints. There are pictures of specific aftermarket parts-even that video in motion plug-in shown in issues with the "COMMAND" unit.- warranty repairs are NOT to be submitted when aftermarket parts are found or evidence of tampering.

Each owner has to decide-the factory service data is aware of what's happening......

Last edited by Arclight338; 11-19-2010 at 12:07 AM.
Old 11-19-2010, 12:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2013 f250 6.7 diesel
Originally Posted by Arclight338
If you are asking-don't bother. You'll be worried constantly. My neighbor is a senior MB tech and works at the Dealership I use. They are aware of what is going on aftermarket wise. Their position on a drivetrain issue- motor,trans,rear is very compromised-warranty wise with the tune.I respectfully disagree with PGT-the service tech and his supervisor CAN deny a claim.

The eastern region service rep toes a hard line. The ecu is NOT to be ****ed with as far as they are concerned. They are aware of Magnuson -Moss act and will tell you-go ahead and file a claim-AFTER you PAY the repair bill.

They do-you got to undue. Do what you got to do. Picking up 30-40 hp at best,at least to me,isn't worth being on the short end. Right off the lot the car is fast-it isn't a race car.

If you purchase an ALLDATA diy subscription (they only have MY08 C63AMG's-but its worth having the info available) and peruse all the TSB's and customer complaints. There are pictures of specific aftermarket parts-even that video in motion plug-in shown in issues with the "COMMAND" unit.- warranty repairs are NOT to be submitted when aftermarket parts are found or evidence of tampering.

Each owner has to decide-the factory service data is aware of what's happening......
Thank you! It's like I said if you want a warranty do not modify the car
Old 11-19-2010, 12:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2013 f250 6.7 diesel
Anything else is a crap shoot at best
Old 11-19-2010, 12:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MBUSA
Just ask your SA and move on.
Old 11-19-2010, 09:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
See Sig
The only thing you have to worry about in the C63 from what ive seen and heard is the tranny, and yes, they can blame the tune on that. So far in my neck of the woods its always been covered regardless of the tune. The shops want to make money and they want your business.

If you stick to a tune, filters, diff you will be fine. Slap headers on and your stupid loud MB pulling into the shop might raise a few brows. They still might fix it though if your not a douche.