Succumbed and finallly got a tune!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-02-2011, 04:45 AM
GMW

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 ML63 AMG PP
Succumbed and finallly got a tune!

Well I don't know if succumbed is the right word but a very good friend (best car buddy actually) got me a tune (with top speed de-limit) through his very close connections and now the car is quite a lot faster. He says I should have got at least 70hp from the tune. Well, from my unofficial, personal and non TUV tested 'butt dyno' the car is a hell of a lot faster!

I can feel the increase right from idle as I accelerate gently away. Getting up to 70mph is a joke. In fact I have to keep checking the speedo to see I'm still at a respectable speed. The car feels lighter, it feels like it lost 4 passengers and their luggage in weight. That's how much different the power is. I would have sworn they installed 2 turbos if I didn't know better. Actually more like a turbo/Kompressor combo as the power just starts right off the bat.

I'm extremely happy with the result and look forward to driving the car the same way I did when I first got it. Suddenly I want to drive everywhere again!

I now understand what everyone on this board was on about when they talked about the difference after getting their respective tunes. The 6.3 engine is a real beast!
Old 01-02-2011, 11:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'14 911S (garage queen) '13 X3 (family hauler)
Congrats--70hp is quite a lot for tune only, but I'm sure your buddy exaggerated a little! What tuner was used?
Either way, I'm happy you're having fun, enjoy.

BTW when did our cars not fly past 70mph tune or no tune, should edit it to at least 100mph

Good luck, drive safe
Old 01-02-2011, 01:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
MB
Originally Posted by GMW
Well I don't know if succumbed is the right word but a very good friend (best car buddy actually) got me a tune (with top speed de-limit) through his very close connections and now the car is quite a lot faster. He says I should have got at least 70hp from the tune. Well, from my unofficial, personal and non TUV tested 'butt dyno' the car is a hell of a lot faster!

I can feel the increase right from idle as I accelerate gently away. Getting up to 70mph is a joke. In fact I have to keep checking the speedo to see I'm still at a respectable speed. The car feels lighter, it feels like it lost 4 passengers and their luggage in weight. That's how much different the power is. I would have sworn they installed 2 turbos if I didn't know better. Actually more like a turbo/Kompressor combo as the power just starts right off the bat.

I'm extremely happy with the result and look forward to driving the car the same way I did when I first got it. Suddenly I want to drive everywhere again!

I now understand what everyone on this board was on about when they talked about the difference after getting their respective tunes. The 6.3 engine is a real beast!
Try 70-87, now that's a joke. Before you can blink.
Old 01-02-2011, 01:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB
Originally Posted by black-clk500
Congrats--70hp is quite a lot for tune only, but I'm sure your buddy exaggerated a little! What tuner was used?

BTW when did our cars not fly past 70mph tune or no tune, should edit it to at least 100mph

Good luck, drive safe
If it's at least a 93 octane tune, then yes, 70 bhp or flywheel hp, or 70 hp at the crank is possible.

Depends on the dyno obviously, but if 91 octane tunes are making 50+ rwhp, then 93 octane can probably make 60 rwhp, and then 70 bhp is likely.

Edit: I admit it sounds like a high number, but these cars are pretty restriced from the factory.

Last edited by SonnyakaPig; 01-02-2011 at 01:21 PM.
Old 01-02-2011, 01:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'14 911S (garage queen) '13 X3 (family hauler)
Originally Posted by SonnyakaPig
If it's at least a 93 octane tune, then yes, 70 bhp or flywheel hp, or 70 hp at the crank is possible.

Depends on the dyno obviously, but if 91 octane tunes are making 50+ rwhp, then 93 octane can probably make 60 rwhp, and then 70 bhp is likely.
Wow I didn't think tune alone could do 70hp--I stand corrected
Old 01-02-2011, 01:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB
Wow I didn't think tune alone could do 70hp--I stand corrected
At first I thought 70 hp sounded high too, but then I just crunched the numbers and that's what I came up with.
Old 01-02-2011, 05:54 PM
GMW

2013 ML63 AMG PP
Still can't get over how much more powerful it feels...

Good luck, drive safe
I actually don't know what tuner was used and my friend didn't want to really say so I left it at that.

What I meant by 70mph being a joke, is that you would watch the speedo go up in chunks as you were busy watching the road ahead and grabbing only glimpses of the speedo as you accelerated. I had never experienced that before...but now, holy .... I just floor it and next thing I see when I decide to take a look is 70 mph.

I haven't pushed further than that as I haven't yet had enough time to drive the car much but boy does it feel much more powerful when just driving around at sub 50mph speeds. I don't think my rear tires will last long. Actually....let me rephrase that... I think they will last a lot less than they did in the past.

Thanks!!
Old 01-02-2011, 05:56 PM
GMW

2013 ML63 AMG PP
Try 70-87, now that's a joke. Before you can blink.
Thanks! Will try that out when conditions allow (i.e. empty road, no one in sight, etc.. )
Old 01-02-2011, 08:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB
Originally Posted by GMW
Thanks! Will try that out when conditions allow (i.e. empty road, no one in sight, etc.. )
My pleasure.

There was this test done by a French auto rag where they pitted a number of really fast cars against the non PP C63 -- my perspective -- actually, it was just a test of various cars.

One of the timed tests was 67 mph to 87 mph, I believe. The C63 performed so well it wasn't even funny. It achieved some crazy number (I don't remember exactly, sorry).

And as a C63 owner, I noticed how fast our cars are in that test. If you put your car in Sport mode and get the rpms up to about 3500 and then drop the pedal to the floor, you only need to hold the pedal down momentarily, and the car will lurch forward and when you lift up, you're already at that speed.

This car does magic at those speeds. Seems quicker and faster than it should be for its weight and rwhp. Perhaps its the amount of torque on tap, gearing?

Someone posted a thread about the French magazine test a few weeks ago, I think.
Old 01-03-2011, 11:57 AM
GMW

2013 ML63 AMG PP
My pleasure.

There was this test done by a French auto rag where they pitted a number of really fast cars against the non PP C63 -- my perspective -- actually, it was just a test of various cars.

One of the timed tests was 67 mph to 87 mph, I believe. The C63 performed so well it wasn't even funny. It achieved some crazy number (I don't remember exactly, sorry).

And as a C63 owner, I noticed how fast our cars are in that test. If you put your car in Sport mode and get the rpms up to about 3500 and then drop the pedal to the floor, you only need to hold the pedal down momentarily, and the car will lurch forward and when you lift up, you're already at that speed.

This car does magic at those speeds. Seems quicker and faster than it should be for its weight and rwhp. Perhaps its the amount of torque on tap, gearing?

Someone posted a thread about the French magazine test a few weeks ago, I think.
Found the thread! Thanks! I also noticed (pre-tune) how fast the car accelerated around the speeds you mentioned. One time I just overtook and kept my foot down on a clear road then all of a sudden I heard a lot of wind noise around the mirrors and I looked down to see about 125 .......... and then gently hit the brakes. The C63 is a beast!...and that is before the tune!

https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w...3-vs-rest.html
Old 01-03-2011, 02:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 432 Likes on 355 Posts
2012 C63;1971 280SE 3.5(Sold);2023 EQS 450 SUV 4 Matic (Wife's)
Yup, very quick and fast.

Enjoy !!!!
Old 01-03-2011, 03:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
Eurocharged 2004 E500, Eurocharged ECU/TCU 2005 SL600, 2010 Caddy SwaggerWagon
Originally Posted by GMW
I actually don't know what tuner was used and my friend didn't want to really say so I left it at that.
Wait, what?

Dude, that's cookoo.
Old 01-03-2011, 03:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'13 GT-R AMS Alpha 9+, CLA45, E55
Originally Posted by Benz-O-Rama
Wait, what?

Dude, that's cookoo.
I'm a little shocked as well. I wouldn't let anyone touch a $70k + car without major credentials.
Old 01-03-2011, 04:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB
Originally Posted by GMW
Found the thread! Thanks! I also noticed (pre-tune) how fast the car accelerated around the speeds you mentioned. One time I just overtook and kept my foot down on a clear road then all of a sudden I heard a lot of wind noise around the mirrors and I looked down to see about 125 .......... and then gently hit the brakes. The C63 is a beast!...and that is before the tune!

https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w...3-vs-rest.html
You're welcome.
Old 01-03-2011, 09:51 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
13 Lamborghini SL, 09 C63, Vipers (sold)
I would want to know which tune I have.........
Old 01-04-2011, 04:42 PM
GMW

2013 ML63 AMG PP
Originally Posted by tgoss
I'm a little shocked as well. I wouldn't let anyone touch a $70k + car without major credentials.
I did find out (and I am happy) but I'm not allowed to say as doing so may jepordize his job/career. I would say they are as good as it gets. Saying anything more could land him in trouble, sorry guys.
Old 01-04-2011, 04:59 PM
SPONSOR

Location: Houston/ Austin /Toronto / UAE / Minneapolis / Orlando /Cincinnati
Received 149 Likes on 109 Posts
Eurocharged Performance ML63 and TT lambo
Originally Posted by GMW
I did find out (and I am happy) but I'm not allowed to say as doing so may jepordize his job/career. I would say they are as good as it gets. Saying anything more could land him in trouble, sorry guys.
Enjoy the ride!!!!!!!

Old 01-04-2011, 05:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

R8
Originally Posted by GMW

What I meant by 70mph being a joke, is that you would watch the speedo go up in chunks as you were busy watching the road ahead and grabbing only glimpses of the speedo as you accelerated. I had never experienced that before...but now, holy .... I just floor it and next thing I see when I am able to take a look is 70 mph.

I haven't pushed further than that as I haven't yet had enough time to drive the car much but boy does it feel much more powerful when just driving around at sub 50mph speeds. I don't think my rear tires will last long. Actually....let me rephrase that... I think they will last a lot less than they did in the past.

Thanks!!
Fixed.
Old 01-04-2011, 09:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2013 Chevy 427 Torch Red
Originally Posted by GMW
I hope your not from Central Florida. There is a known con artist dealing in fake / stolen tune files as well as other dishonest activities. He has been tagged by several different forums and sooner or later someone that he ripped off is going to catch up with him and ruin his day.
Old 01-04-2011, 09:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 A8L, 2002 996TT X50, 2009 X5
Originally Posted by hhughes1
I hope your not from Central Florida. There is a known con artist dealing in fake / stolen tune files as well as other dishonest activities. He has been tagged by several different forums and sooner or later someone that he ripped off is going to catch up with him and ruin his day.

Hadn't heard any of that story... is there a thread?

OP, sorry for the OT.
Old 01-04-2011, 09:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2013 Chevy 427 Torch Red
Originally Posted by c32AMG-DTM

Hadn't heard any of that story... is there a thread?

OP, sorry for the OT.
Not really off topic as this thread seems to be about stolen tune files if I read it correctly.

Anyhow this individual has not been on these forums in a very long time and I am not aware of anyone here being victimized. He does most of his work face to face with the car meet crowd.
Old 01-05-2011, 08:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63
Originally Posted by Benz-O-Rama
Wait, what?

Dude, that's cookoo.
That's what I was thinking!
Old 01-05-2011, 09:50 AM
SPONSOR

Location: Houston/ Austin /Toronto / UAE / Minneapolis / Orlando /Cincinnati
Received 149 Likes on 109 Posts
Eurocharged Performance ML63 and TT lambo
Not really off topic as this thread seems to be about stolen tune files if I read it correctly.

Anyhow this individual has not been on these forums in a very long time and I am not aware of anyone here being victimized. He does most of his work face to face with the car meet crowd.
CORRECT. He "borrows" a ton of files from just about every tuner out there and then tunes the car using that software.

We have been told many many times about this indv. and found traces of our files all over the place.
Old 01-06-2011, 03:21 PM
GMW

2013 ML63 AMG PP
Originally Posted by SebringSilver
Fixed.
How true!
Old 01-06-2011, 03:25 PM
GMW

2013 ML63 AMG PP
Good to know that info however my tune was done out of Germany.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Succumbed and finallly got a tune!